Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 92

Thread: The Big Man Rotation... what do you like?

  1. #26
    Member ChristianDudley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,578

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Big Man Rotation... what do you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You really think Hansbrough should backup the center spot? You must really want to see him fail.
    He's the got mass and strength over McRoberts. Jeff Foster certainly couldn't do any better in more than 10 minutes a game than Hansbrough could do.

  2. #27
    Member ChristianDudley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,578

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Big Man Rotation... what do you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did I read this correctly? You would have Hansbrough as our backup center? He can hardly play PF, where do you see in his game he would be capable going up against ANY other starting center in this league? And Rolle we have hardly seen/heard anything. What's the deal with this guy getting so much love? We have hardly seen him play.
    Then who do you suggest being the backup center right now??? Freaking McRoberts??? lmmfao

  3. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    923

    Default Re: The Big Man Rotation... what do you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hear people saying that Tyler should start because they like him more than Josh as a player, but what I'm not hearing is how he fits with the starting unit.

    To me, having Tyler off the bench is an absolutely perfect use of his skills.
    I like the way things are right now, but here are a couple of reasons why he would match up well with Roy:

    1) Tyler brings a more physical presence down low next to a skilled and long, but not muscular, Hibbert. Josh does a lot of things well, but he is not pushing folks around the paint.

    2) Tyler's ability to draw fouls is best used on starters.

    3) Roy is defending the rim pretty well, getting blocks. Josh's ability to do the same might be more valuable when Roy is sitting.

    4) Roy and Tyler also had great chemistry in meaningless games in Summer League '09 (like Roy/Josh '10).

    I do not find these things persuasive given where the team is right now. Quite frankly nobody knows what we have in either player since neither one has spent quality time against starters in meaningful games. We will be in a better position to comment after some real games get played.

  4. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,667

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Big Man Rotation... what do you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope McRoberts is ready to play about 40 a night because Foster can't play. Solo is a much better option at this point. But Josh has to start at 4 and backup 5.
    At this point in time, I would agree that McRoberts can play PF and C.

    Like you, I have not yet been impressed with Foster, but I suppose he will have situations where his experience might prove useful defensively. I would NOT play Foster at PF, but would only use him off the bench at C.

    It was easy to be impressed with Hansbrough tonight. From my perspective, a combination of Hibbert / McRoberts performs a little better than Hibbert / Hansbrough since a lot of Hansbrough's utility is down low.

    That being said, I still think I might be tempted to start the pair of Hibbert / Hansbrough. My reason is that I would shorten the playing rotations in the front-court, using primarily three players (Hibbert, McRoberts, Hansbrough). Since McRoberts is capable of playing both PF and C, whereas Hansbrough is not, it only makes sense that McRoberts would be the first big off the bench.

    We have 96 minutes available in the front-court. Without trading for a new player, I would play the three primary players at least 27 minutes each, limiting Foster to no more than 15 minutes.

    In light of another thread, it probably surprises everyone that I propose playing two youngsters ahead of more experienced players, but my opinion is that both players are playing much better than any of the available experienced players. I think Rolle and SJones can get their opportunities in games where one or more of the three primary players get into foul trouble.

  5. #30
    Member Hibbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Stay at ya mammy house
    Age
    32
    Posts
    976

    Default Re: The Big Man Rotation... what do you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianDudley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Then who do you suggest being the backup center right now??? Freaking McRoberts??? lmmfao
    Yes I do, with Foster in the mix. Hansbrough is already undersized as a 4 and who cares about how big his muscles are and how strong he is, he will still get pushed around going up against any starting 4, at center I would feel sorry for him. He is not tall enough, short arms, can't jump. Tyler isn't in Carolina anymore toto. This is the NBA.

  6. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    923

    Default Re: The Big Man Rotation... what do you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes I do, with Foster in the mix. Hansbrough is already undersized as a 4 and who cares about how big his muscles are and how strong he is, he will still get pushed around going up against any starting 4, at center I would feel sorry for him. He is not tall enough, short arms, can't jump. Tyler isn't in Carolina anymore toto. This is the NBA.
    Ever heard of the NBA combine?

  7. #32
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Big Man Rotation... what do you like?

    I think both McRoberts and Hansbrough are fantastic.

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:


  9. #33
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,271

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Big Man Rotation... what do you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    I'm no Tyler believer of course, but given the depth chart I'm forced to be counting on him to come through and prove me wrong
    That's just it. I don't think you want Tyler to prove you wrong, I think you'd rather him fail to live up to expectations so you can say "I told you so." when it comes to your "scouting". I think you have rooted against Hansbrough from the start and even when he has good games you search for the negatives. That's not hoping he proves you wrong.

  10. #34
    Member Hibbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Stay at ya mammy house
    Age
    32
    Posts
    976

    Default Re: The Big Man Rotation... what do you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by judicata View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ever heard of the NBA combine?
    Sure have. That's the only reason Tyler went so high in the draft. Before that his stock was late first round. Don't get your point...The combine is supposed to mean something to me? I just watch the games. Maybe Tyler will miss the rest of this year with a sinus infection.

  11. #35
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,140

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Big Man Rotation... what do you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by judicata View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know if I've EVER read those "quotes" before, much less in this thread.
    I'm obviously new to this forum, but if people are not basing this idea that Hansbrough is better than McRoberts on either their draft position or their college choice,I'd be surprised.

    I only base my judgments of them on what I've seen from them in Pacers' uniforms.

    And McRoberts has been the far more impressive player in my eyes.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:


  13. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,880
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Big Man Rotation... what do you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sure have. That's the only reason Tyler went so high in the draft. Before that his stock was late first round. Don't get your point...The combine is supposed to mean something to me? I just watch the games. Maybe Tyler will miss the rest of this year with a sinus infection.
    come on vertigo sucks dont make fun of that

  14. #37
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,271

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Big Man Rotation... what do you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes I do, with Foster in the mix. Hansbrough is already undersized as a 4 and who cares about how big his muscles are and how strong he is, he will still get pushed around going up against any starting 4, at center I would feel sorry for him. He is not tall enough, short arms, can't jump. Tyler isn't in Carolina anymore toto. This is the NBA.
    Hansbrough is undersized, which is part of the reason I wanted to go with Holiday, but to say he will get pushed around is absurd. I assume you have either never watched him
    play or are hoping that no one else has with a comment like that.

  15. #38
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,140

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Big Man Rotation... what do you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's just it. I don't think you want Tyler to prove you wrong, I think you'd rather him fail to live up to expectations so you can say "I told you so." when it comes to your "scouting". I think you have rooted against Hansbrough from the start and even when he has good games you search for the negatives. That's not hoping he proves you wrong.
    I haven't been around long enough to know Naptown_Seth's history regarding Tyler, but I'm guessing I'm in the same boat as him. As a Pacer fan, I really want Tyler to succeed and surprise me. We need him to play serious minutes and do more than just hold his own.

    However, I'm not going to just change from skeptical to a believer because he beat the crap out of Joe Alexander in a preseason game.

  16. #39
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,271

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Big Man Rotation... what do you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    come on vertigo sucks dont make fun of that
    Is it wrong that I'm not surprised he'd make a comment like that?

  17. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    923

    Default Re: The Big Man Rotation... what do you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sure have. That's the only reason Tyler went so high in the draft. Before that his stock was late first round. Don't get your point...The combine is supposed to mean something to me? I just watch the games. Maybe Tyler will miss the rest of this year with a sinus infection.
    It should mean something to you. To me, the combine means that when you say things like Tyler has short arms, is short for a NBA 4, and can't jump that you are spewing bull**** and actually have no bleeding clue what you are talking about. You might want to start prefacing what is clearly your (erroneous) opinion with "I think" before you get laid out with facts on a regular basis. On the other hand, you don't seem like you let facts get in the way all too often.

  18. #41
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,271

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Big Man Rotation... what do you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I haven't been around long enough to know Naptown_Seth's history regarding Tyler, but I'm guessing I'm in the same boat as him. As a Pacer fan, I really want Tyler to succeed and surprise me. We need him to play serious minutes and do more than just hold his own.

    However, I'm not going to just change from skeptical to a believer because he beat the crap out of Joe Alexander in a preseason game.
    That's fine man, everyone is allowed to have their own opinion. Seth has been rooting against Tyler though, it has always seemed as if he has wanted Tyler to fail...which is fine, like I said, everyone has a right to their opinion/beliefs, but if he's going to try and BS us by saying he wants Tyler to do well, then I will call him on it.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:


  20. #42
    Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Broadripple
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,255

    Default Re: The Big Man Rotation... what do you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by judicata View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like the way things are right now, but here are a couple of reasons why he would match up well with Roy:

    1) Tyler brings a more physical presence down low next to a skilled and long, but not muscular, Hibbert. Josh does a lot of things well, but he is not pushing folks around the paint.
    I think you are making an argument against yourself here. Roy Hibbert and Tyler Hansbrough are both at their most effective in the low post. Mcroberts is most effective in the high post. Roy and Tyler would get in each others way offensively, and Roy would probably be forced to play in the high post a lot. Taking Roy out of the low post is the last thing we want to do.

    Quote Originally Posted by judicata View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    2) Tyler's ability to draw fouls is best used on starters.
    How do you figure? If anything I see the opposite, he will have an easier time drawing fouls against the other teams reserves.


    Quote Originally Posted by judicata View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    3) Roy is defending the rim pretty well, getting blocks. Josh's ability to do the same might be more valuable when Roy is sitting.
    Roy is somewhat slow footed and will benefit the most from having a quicker footed guy playing next to him, and that guy is Josh. We could use another shot blocker in the second unit of course, but it looks like that guy is going to be Josh anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by judicata View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    4) Roy and Tyler also had great chemistry in meaningless games in Summer League '09 (like Roy/Josh '10).

    I do not find these things persuasive given where the team is right now. Quite frankly nobody knows what we have in either player since neither one has spent quality time against starters in meaningful games. We will be in a better position to comment after some real games get played.
    Granger, Hibbert, and Collison are clearly going to be our top three options in the starting lineup. Putting Hansbrough in the starting lineup is only going to reduce the number of touches he gets... when scoring is far and away his strong suit. Its not the best situation for Tyler and its not the best situation for the Team. Josh's all around game just fits the needs of the starting lineup much better.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

    - ilive4sports

  21. #43
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Big Man Rotation... what do you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe Tyler will miss the rest of this year with a sinus infection.
    That was Tinsley's job.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:


  23. #44
    Member Hibbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Stay at ya mammy house
    Age
    32
    Posts
    976

    Default Re: The Big Man Rotation... what do you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by judicata View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It should mean something to you. To me, the combine means that when you say things like Tyler has short arms, is short for a NBA 4, and can't jump that you are spewing bull**** and actually have no bleeding clue what you are talking about. You might want to start prefacing what is clearly your (erroneous) opinion with "I think" before you get laid out with facts on a regular basis. On the other hand, you don't seem like you let facts get in the way all too often.
    Lay the facts than. What does the NBA combine have to do with real NBA games and how players perform on the court? You haven't told me $&^%

  24. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    923

    Default Re: The Big Man Rotation... what do you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How do you figure? If anything I see the opposite, he will have an easier time drawing fouls against the other teams reserves.
    Fair points on the rest, but this one I certainly disagree: getting their starters out of the game can have a huge impact on the outcome.

  25. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    923

    Default Re: The Big Man Rotation... what do you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lay the facts than. What does the NBA combine have to do with real NBA games and how players perform on the court? You haven't told me $&^%
    6'8.25 without shoes
    wingspan at 6'11.5

    These are measurements that do not change when players get on the court.

  26. #47
    Member Hibbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Stay at ya mammy house
    Age
    32
    Posts
    976

    Default Re: The Big Man Rotation... what do you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hansbrough is undersized, which is part of the reason I wanted to go with Holiday, but to say he will get pushed around is absurd. I assume you have either never watched him
    play or are hoping that no one else has with a comment like that.
    Really? What kind of UNC fan are you? I saw him get pushed around by smaller even more unathletic Dave Neal in the Maryland UNC game a few years back. We see him up against backups and some on here are suggested starting him at the 4 which is bad enough, than go on to have him back up center. What would he do against Dwight Howard, Tim Duncan, Kendrick Perkins? Stop being so biased just cause its your boy and actually read what Im responding to.

  27. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    923

    Default Re: The Big Man Rotation... what do you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stop being so biased just cause its your boy and actually read what Im responding to.
    We see you trashing a guy who dropped 19 in as many minutes. He may not be an all-star but he deserves a lot more respect than you are giving him.

    Do you really think you're saying anything we have not heard before? As for the Maryland game, we were told to leave the ACC out of this, otherwise the 4 times that he made Josh look like a total scrub might have come up by now.

  28. #49
    Member Hibbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Stay at ya mammy house
    Age
    32
    Posts
    976

    Default Re: The Big Man Rotation... what do you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by judicata View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    6'8.25 without shoes
    wingspan at 6'11.5

    These are measurements that do not change when players get on the court.
    What is your point? He is undersized. Josh's wingspan is 7'1. Not sure how tall he is without shoes but that does not matter. Like I said, I watch the games and Tyler doesn't impress me for what his position is. He can score and he works out a lot and has big biceps....So what? He can't hang with McRoberts and that's why he will be on the bench and Josh will start.

  29. #50
    Come Home Lance! BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,996

    Default Re: The Big Man Rotation... what do you like?

    I see what others see in McBob and I like it. Fantastic passing big man, great court awareness, athleticism and a great motor. Really not much to like...and I saw all of that stuff last year too...if only he had a chance.

    But the dude is irrelevant. No future at all in the NBA.

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Rush Falls Out Of Pacers' Rotation
    By MillerTime in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 128
    Last Post: 10-16-2010, 02:39 PM
  2. Spot in Rotation for Ford? / Dahntay on block?
    By MyFavMartin in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 09-22-2010, 05:36 PM
  3. T-Bird Rotation Discussion from Front Page
    By Brad8888 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 07-21-2010, 08:04 PM
  4. What are playing times and team rotation going to be?
    By FinPacers in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-21-2008, 12:34 PM
  5. Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...
    By Major Cold in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2039
    Last Post: 06-27-2008, 11:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •