Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Big Man Rotation... what do you like?

Default Re: The Big Man Rotation... what do you like?

As for all of the nonsense piling up in this thread between posters, you all need to fix your damned attitudes. This forum isn't here for you to treat each other like this. Express your opinions, but drop the attitudes with one another for God's sake.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Always a downside for too much testosterone in one place

Filling the gaping hole caused by Troy leaving? No, we're filling the gaping hole that Troy left by playing.

I'm glad that we're arguing about whether or not Tyler/Josh should be starting. This would've been a dream last year.

I think we get the most use out of our current rotation, save Posey (i.e. Josh/Roy with Tyler off the bench). That should be obvious by now.
    Last edited by imawhat; 10-16-2010 at 02:47 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let's see: Bruising, foul-drawing machine who hits the offensive glass vs. Above average passer and ball handler for his position? Give me the power forward whose strengths are what you need out of your power forward, not your shooting guard.
    Being a good passer and ball handler are essential qualities for every position in the NBA, not just guards. Did Josh not just seal the game for us tonight with a hustle play (crashing the glass and having active hands)? For the record I'm not a Josh or Tyler fan boy. To succeed in the NBA as a big you need a full skill set. Right now Josh has the more complete set.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Foster's still got some in the tank, but at this point in his career I'd prefer to see him used situationally. Maybe 12-15 minutes a game, with the other 84 minutes going to Roy, Josh, and Tyler. Magnum and Solo can stay on the inactive list unless we have an injury.

Thoughts?
    I'm perfectly fine with what a primary PF/C rotation involving Hibbert/McBob/Hansbrough with a sprinkle of Granger at the backup PF spot and Foster as a backup behind Hibbert/McBob getting minimal minutes.

But I'm still waiting for JO'B to pull the rug out from under us and we start seeing a Hibbert/Granger/Foster/Posey/Dunleavy PF/C rotation

Here's hoping we continue to see more of the former and less of the latter
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I'd like to see Hansbrough, Josh and Hibbert on the floor together once in a while. Some large ball. Those three should be our PF/C rotation with Jeff playing when he can. Alot of potential there.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

How much do we know about either big man? We haven't seen much of Mcbob outside of garbage time, summer league, and preseason. Hans was spotty at best last year and we base a lot of our opinion of him off of what he did in college, which was impressive.

I would say Mcbob get's the tentative start based on being in the league longer, but it's pretty much up for grabs. He still has to earn the right to stay there. His new found love of shooting the 3 ball is somewhat disturbing.

I would be fine seeing Mcroberts get some time at the back up 5 if they wanted to run a little bit. There really aren't too many true centers in the league anymore so he could still match up pretty well with most of the centers in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by dlewyus View Post
    About the big man rotation. Back up center is the problem. It's going to be a huge problem as the season wears on, or if Hibbert gets hurt. What we have now cannot come close to cutting it. Solo is not good enough to be a rotation player. He's just end of the bench insurance at best. Foster doesn't appear to be able to go more than a few minutes without hurting himself now.
    This is the weakest spot, not just of the rotation but of the team as a whole. Here's where the Jason Thompson love fits, or some reasonable NBA-quality facsimile.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Chillout For This Useful Post:

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert View Post
    Yes I do, with Foster in the mix. Hansbrough is already undersized as a 4 and who cares about how big his muscles are and how strong he is, he will still get pushed around going up against any starting 4, at center I would feel sorry for him. He is not tall enough, short arms, can't jump. Tyler isn't in Carolina anymore toto. This is the NBA.
    I will add these as my last comments in this thread:

1. Only trying to state that to backup Hibbert, I'd choose Hansbrough because between him and McBob (both deserve minutes over Foster imo), I see Hansbrough doing better against centers. He's a brute--have you seen how he rips away rebounds?? He's just better than Josh is at keeping rebounds alive under the basket.

2. Last season in a game (at home I do believe) vs. the Bucks, does anybody remember Hansbrough dropping freaking Andrew Bogut's @$$ in the post and dunking over him??? He can play center at times if he has to whether you can like it or not. It's just most definitely not his primary position.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Filling the gaping hole caused by Troy leaving? No, we're filling the gaping hole that Troy left by playing.
    I don't believe in green font.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianDudley View Post
    I will add these as my last comments in this thread:

1. Only trying to state that to backup Hibbert, I'd choose Hansbrough because between him and McBob (both deserve minutes over Foster imo), I see Hansbrough doing better against centers. He's a brute--have you seen how he rips away rebounds?? He's just better than Josh is at keeping rebounds alive under the basket.

2. Last season in a game (at home I do believe) vs. the Bucks, does anybody remember Hansbrough dropping freaking Andrew Bogut's @$$ in the post and dunking over him??? He can play center at times if he has to whether you can like it or not. It's just most definitely not his primary position.
    He's just too short to play center, is this even debateable? You are talking about a guy whos knock coming out of college was that he might be too short to play PF! 7 footers will shoot over him all day long, and he lacks the elite athleticism to make up for his lack of height.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post

I think Josh should be an automatic Starter.

My rotation would be

McRoberts/Tyler/Magnum
    Hibbert/McRoberts/Foster

It's kind of funny to say this. And I thought Josh had potential but looked a little lost last season. But I want Josh in the game as much as possible. And I think he's our second best Center.

Saying McBob is our 2nd best center isn't really saying much. B/U center is a real weakness that Bird needs to find a remedy for ASAP. Bird needs to find a X factor player that can play both C and PF immediately if not sooner.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Saying McBob is our 2nd best center isn't really saying much. B/U center is a real weakness that Bird needs to find a remedy for ASAP. Bird needs to find a X factor player that can play both C and PF immediately if not sooner.
    I'm not too worry about that, the PF and Center at one time last year were DJ/Dunleavy/Granger/Murphy/Solo/Hibbert, I'm pretty sure that any combination of Tyler/Josh and Roy could be better than any combination I just mentioned from last year (note that I'm not mentioning Foster or Posey)

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

While Josh and Hibbert start, I still want Hansbrough to play 20- 25 MPG.

Josh is the better player obviously and he is turning into a very good rebounder, something that we never had and signs or flashes of in the past three seasons. He is amazing in the high post, he can drive the lane when people play him tight, and he just does a good job of getting the ball into the right people.

Tyler is a player who you can go to when your starters are out and get 10-11 pts depending on matchups. He does a very good job on the glass and ripping the ball away from people, and he likes to make people cry. He can bust out for 15-20 points on any given night, another word for inconsistent, but the energy he brings when the starters come out is amazing.

Tylers FG% has been pretty good this preseason and that 360 FG% seems as if it was his shin splints and vertigo bothering him as well as minute limits and no training camp/preseason.

He going to be our Antonio Davis!! W00t!!11!!

Not so much what I like or don't like, but I think stability is important. I hope that Walton taught Roy how to avoid picking up 2 fouls in his first two minutes. This happened frequently the last 2 seasons and disrupted the game plan and scheduled rotation somewhat. Of course, some of these were just calls that always go in favor of the veterans, but Roy just needs to avoid the silly fouls.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post

I'm not too worry about that,

You might want to start worrying about it. If Hibbert gets injured, who on this team is going to be the starting Center that's a worthwhile replacement?
    Solo? McBob? Rolle? Foster? Hans?

Then just remember someone has to be the injured b/u starters b/u!

Bird had best be scouring other teams rosters and trying to get a trade to solve this weakness ASAP. He needs to find a player that can be the b/u center as well as play PF.

The Pacers have too many wings and not enough "quality" BIGS.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    I'd like to see Hansbrough, Josh and Hibbert on the floor together once in a while. Some large ball. Those three should be our PF/C rotation with Jeff playing when he can. Alot of potential there.
    Yes! What a concept!

Multiple rebounders, better overall defense for both the perimeter and interior, and a solid base for our perimeter players to work off of. Price, Granger, McRoberts, Hansbrough, Hibbert could do some work on both ends of the floor, and there would be elements of both a passing and penetrating offense, some 3's, rebounding on both ends, and the better interior defense would help Granger play better defensively as well because teams would be less likely to keep penetrating due to more likelihood of getting stopped once they get inside.

I would be tempted to have that lineup out there 15 minutes a night as long as Hibbert could stay out of foul trouble.