Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Big Man Rotation... what do you like?

Default The Big Man Rotation... what do you like?

Well, with the loss of a premiere frontcourt player in Troy Murphy, lots of people were expecting the Pacers to have a gaping hole at the 4. That's not been how it's looked so far. As far as the bigs, we're actually pretty well stocked (even without playing a small lineup of Granger at the 4). On paper, here's the lineup:

Hibbert - Foster - Solo
    McRoberts - Tyler - Magnum

Hibbert's the only automatic lock as a starter. Solo and Magnum are projects, but the other three guys could all make a case for themselves as the starter. Josh and Tyler both had fantastic games tonight. So who should start? I figured this thread would be a good place for that discussion.

I've liked Tyler more than I expected to, and I'm glad that Larry picked him. I still think, though, that his ideal position right now is first big off the bench. McRoberts and Hibbert complement each other well and seem to have good chemistry. Josh seems to be a good glue guy between Granger and Hibbert... he's got enough of an offensive game that other teams can't ignore him (sorry Foster) but he also doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective (sorry Tyler).

When Tyler has the ball in his hands, though, he can be very effective (especially against a team whose backup is starting and whose benchwarmer is playing backup). His scoring punch and energy seems ideal to come off the bench.

Foster's still got some in the tank, but at this point in his career I'd prefer to see him used situationally. Maybe 12-15 minutes a game, with the other 84 minutes going to Roy, Josh, and Tyler. Magnum and Solo can stay on the inactive list unless we have an injury.

Thoughts?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The Big Man Rotation... what do you like?

I think Josh should be an automatic Starter.

My rotation would be

McRoberts/Tyler/Magnum
    Hibbert/McRoberts/Foster

It's kind of funny to say this. And I thought Josh had potential but looked a little lost last season. But I want Josh in the game as much as possible. And I think he's our second best Center.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Given the information we have at this time, the rotation looks spot on. I wouldn't touch it for at least the first 20 games unless something wonky starts happening.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Yeah, I like the idea of McRoberts as starting 4 and as backup center.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Tyler/McRoberts/Magnum
    Hibbert/Foster/Magnum

IMHO, Tyler is looking more and more like the player we expected when Indiana drafted him. Let's not forget his ability to get to the line.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hope McRoberts is ready to play about 40 a night because Foster can't play. Solo is a much better option at this point. But Josh has to start at 4 and backup 5.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Mcroberts/Tyler
    Hibbert/Mcroberts

Jeff looks done, I have to concur with that sentiment. I hope we can find some spot minutes for Magnum Rolle so we don't run Josh into the ground. I prefer that over Solomon getting minutes.

The good news is, Hansbrough looks ready to be a big contributer as well. Lets pray nobody gets injured.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

These are how I'd rate our big men:

1. Hibbert
    2. Hansbrough
    3. McRoberts
    4. Magnum Rolle
    5. Jeff Foster
    6. Solomon Jones
    7. Lance Allred (I'll throw him a bone and put him in here for now)

And I'd make this our rotation:

Center: Hibbert/Hansbrough/Foster/Solo
    Power Forward: Hansbrough/McRoberts/Rolle/Allred

We all know that Allred won't make the roster and Solo is on his way out most likely, but I'll leave him in the following discussion:

Hibbert is obviously our starting C, no doubts there. Personally I'd like to have Hansbrough start and have Josh and his crazy "hyper" energy come off the bench, but really he and Hansbrough could switch starting and coming off the bench whenever depending on matchups. I'm not sure if Rolle could handle centers, so for now I'd play him at PF. Foster and Solo get any few minutes left over if there are any...Foster is getting old as we all know, but he can still do a few of the little things, such as keeping the ball alive, that can help us out when he's on the court.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ChristianDudley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianDudley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

1. Hibbert
    2. Hansbrough
    3. McRoberts
    4. Magnum Rolle
    5. Jeff Foster
    6. Solomon Jones

You really think Hansbrough should backup the center spot? You must really want to see him fail.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Can't see Tyler as a 5.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

I hear people saying that Tyler should start because they like him more than Josh as a player, but what I'm not hearing is how he fits with the starting unit.

To me, having Tyler off the bench is an absolutely perfect use of his skills.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

ANYTHING BUT POSEY

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I hear people saying that Tyler should start because they like him more than Josh as a player, but what I'm not hearing is how he fits with the starting unit.

yes i agree 1000% Josh is great with the starters. He is a great outlet passer and runs the court well.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really wish we would have traded Foster 2 years ago.....

"I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

20. The Following User Says Thank You to DGPR For This Useful Post:

Agreed. I like Hansbrough more, but McRoberts fits with the starters and Hansbrough would be an awesome spark off the bench. Hansbrough can match any player in NBA history when it comes to passion - I doubt he'll see many bench players who care 1/10 as much as he does - that's an advantage in itself.

Gotta Play Big

Tyler off the bench for a scoring punch. Definitely a good fit because he can dominate their bench and they may be forced to keep their starter in to contend with him. Let the dude wear'em out.

McBob does complement our starting unit much better and should be the starter going forward...or until we get a dominant 4.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Exactly. He can score against other teams' scrubs. Let him. It's the same as the Rush argument. Granger, Collison, and Hibbert are going to take most of the shots anyway. All Hansbrough can really do is score. Let's put him where that is needed. Off the bench.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

24. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    Tyler/McRoberts/Magnum
    Hibbert/Foster/Magnum

IMHO, Tyler is looking more and more like the player we expected when Indiana drafted him. Let's not forget his ability to get to the line.
    I think there was a big belief that Tyler got bailed out by refs a lot in college and people doubted that would translate to the NBA. That's starting to look like bunk. NBA refs have no reason to give him anything and he's still getting to the line.
    Last edited by travmil; 10-15-2010 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    I think there was a big belief that Tyler got bailed out by refs a lot in college and people doubted that would translate to the NBA. That's starting to look like bunk. NBA refs have no reason to give him anything and he's still getting to the line.
    His shot selection looks to have already improved quite a bit since last season, which was my major knock on him. He actually appears to have an effective back to the basket game.

His shot still looks like it gets off low to me, however... I think he is ideally suited as an off the bench player where he will have a better chance of dominating against other team's second unit bigs.

- ilive4sports

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I hope McRoberts is ready to play about 40 a night because Foster can't play. Solo is a much better option at this point. But Josh has to start at 4 and backup 5.
    This is my worry. The reason I was mad about Josh's PT the last 2 years was because I was thinking of NOW. You needed to be bringing up his conditioning and overall game back then so he'd be more ready for the every night heavy load it looks like they will need from him.

I'm no Tyler believer of course, but given the depth chart I'm forced to be counting on him to come through and prove me wrong as a solid 20 mpg backup.

And this doesn't even get into Roy's foul issues.

BTW, this isn't the intention of the original question, but one thing I like about Josh next to Roy is how aggressive Josh is with his OUTLET PASSING. This is why I wanted Love as a Pacer so much. A good outlet is as much a fastbreak creator as a steal.

At one point tonight Josh threw a one handed zip to Collison around midcourt before he'd even hit the floor off a rebound jump.

Of all the areas that Troy hurt the team, outlet passing from all his defensive boards had to be the biggest. I have a lot more confidence in the passing of both Roy and Josh. As bigs go, those 2 probably rank as some of the (potentially) best in the game. This is why I like to see the ball touch their hands in as many possessions as possible.

While Josh can swing to the 5 it's not a strong point for him. Ditto Tyler. I think if the team is forced to use either as a 5 for more than a couple of minutes they are going to have trouble. A big part of what broke down Foster was all the time moved over the 5. You could see Josh getting bent back last year when facing solid, strong 5s.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think people get too caught up in draft position.

"Tyler was a lottery pick so he should start."

"McRoberts was a 2nd round pick, he's only good as an energy big off the bench."

The fact is McRoberts is a better player starting for this team. He makes the other 4 guys on the court better. He does everything.

Tyler doesn't do that. He's going to muscle his way into the paint and force up shots. Several of them are going to go in and he'll get his points, but he's not going to make anybody else better. That attitude makes him an ideal scoring punch off the bench, not as a high volume, low percentage shooter with the starters. He won't be able to rebound at the same rate as McRoberts nor he is nearly as good of a defender.

Leave the Duke/UNC biases in the ACC, this is the NBA.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This is my worry. The reason I was mad about Josh's PT the last 2 years was because I was thinking of NOW. You needed to be bringing up his conditioning and overall game back then so he'd be more ready for the every night heavy load it looks like they will need from him.

I'm no Tyler believer of course, but given the depth chart I'm forced to be counting on him to come through and prove me wrong as a solid 20 mpg backup.

And this doesn't even get into Roy's foul issues.

BTW, this isn't the intention of the original question, but one thing I like about Josh next to Roy is how aggressive Josh is with his OUTLET PASSING. This is why I wanted Love as a Pacer so much. A good outlet is as much a fastbreak creator as a steal.At one point tonight Josh threw a one handed zip to Collison around midcourt before he'd even hit the floor off a rebound jump.

Of all the areas that Troy hurt the team, outlet passing from all his defensive boards had to be the biggest. I have a lot more confidence in the passing of both Roy and Josh. As bigs go, those 2 probably rank as some of the (potentially) best in the game. This is why I like to see the ball touch their hands in as many possessions as possible.

While Josh can swing to the 5 it's not a strong point for him. Ditto Tyler. I think if the team is forced to use either as a 5 for more than a couple of minutes they are going to have trouble. A big part of what broke down Foster was all the time moved over the 5. You could see Josh getting bent back last year when facing solid, strong 5s.
    That is why i love Jmac he is a beast at throwing a good outlet pass. That is why he should start and play almost all the time when DC is on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    I think people get too caught up in draft position.

"Tyler was a lottery pick so he should start."

"McRoberts was a 2nd round pick, he's only good as an energy big off the bench."

The fact is McRoberts is a better player starting for this team. He makes the other 4 guys on the court better. He does everything.

Tyler doesn't do that. He's going to muscle his way into the paint and force up shots. Several of them are going to go in and he'll get his points, but he's not going to make anybody else better. That attitude makes him an ideal scoring punch off the bench, not as a high volume, low percentage shooter with the starters. He won't be able to rebound at the same rate as McRoberts nor he is nearly as good of a defender.

Leave the Duke/UNC biases in the ACC, this is the NBA.
    I don't know if I've EVER read those "quotes" before, much less in this thread.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to judicata For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    Tyler/McRoberts/Magnum
    Hibbert/Foster/Magnum

He can't rebound which is what we need most out of the 4 spot. That and he doesn't have the ability to make his teammates around him better, both things Josh can do. Wait until he goes up against an actual starter in this league and you'll understand.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianDudley View Post

1. Hibbert
    2. Hansbrough
    3. McRoberts
    4. Magnum Rolle
    5. Jeff Foster
    6. Solomon Jones

We all know that Allred won't make the roster and Solo is on his way out most likely, but I'll leave him in the following discussion:

Hibbert is obviously our starting C, no doubts there. Personally I'd like to have Hansbrough start and have Josh and his crazy "hyper" energy come off the bench, but really he and Hansbrough could switch starting and coming off the bench whenever depending on matchups. I'm not sure if Rolle could handle centers, so for now I'd play him at PF. Foster and Solo get any few minutes left over if there are any...Foster is getting old as we all know, but he can still do a few of the little things, such as keeping the ball alive, that can help us out when he's on the court.
    Did I read this correctly? You would have Hansbrough as our backup center? He can hardly play PF, where do you see in his game he would be capable going up against ANY other starting center in this league? And Rolle we have hardly seen/heard anything. What's the deal with this guy getting so much love? We have hardly seen him play.