Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Per Conrad: TJ to be primary backup in tonight's game

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Re: Per Conrad: TJ to be primary backup in tonight's game

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To be fair, some people still think Tinsley should be on the team......and starting.
    I understand that , but for someone who claims civility , he seemed to get real upset real fast.

I dont believe anyone had posted that TJ should not get minutes in the preseason

By the way hope I can post my opinion without being thought of as an attack on anyone

Thanks
    Sittin on top of the world!

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post

We still have people saying that when Tinsley was exiled it wasn't right and that JOB should have used all his options.

Why shouldn't TJ get some time in preseason?

If and only if JOB then benches DC and AJ in favor of a TJ who went 5-20 and had 17 turnovers, you can all jump on his rear. Until then, let them look at the team in regards to the new rotation and changes (yes, there are changes) in playing style.

Sheesh.
    As I said, it's not the "preseason" thing. TJ does deserve to get to play (Although as I said, perhaps not at the expense of AJ. )

It's the fact that I've watched JOB. If TJ is anything better than "god awful" tonight, he'll more than likely start the season as the primary backup. And that's not right.

I mean, it's actually kind of funny. "AJ's been the best player in the preseason across the board. If it continutes, of course he'll get more minutes." *benches AJ a game later*

Don't like this. What's he going to do better than AJ? He won't shoot better, he won't pass better, he might defend better. Otherwise, I don't get it beyond the possibility of showcasing and/or just seeing how he looks.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    Why are you banging your head against the wall?
    The people already assuming that TJ will knock AJ out of the rotation for the rest of the season.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

The people already assuming that TJ will knock AJ out of the rotation for the rest of the season.
    Ok that makes sense, possibly they are thinking after last year when AJ played well and then was benched

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Don't like this. What's he going to do better than AJ? He won't shoot better, he won't pass better, he might defend better. Otherwise, I don't get it beyond the possibility of showcasing and/or just seeing how he looks.
    I think it is :

Being fair to TJ who has been a good solider
    Maybe showcasing him a little
    See how TJ works with some of the new aquisitions

and last but hopefull not real

play TJ and DC together

Although I agree Aj does shot better , I think TJ is the better passer and more of a "true PG" than AJ

I understand that , but for someone who claims civility , he seemed to get real upset real fast.
    If someone showed me Bill's response and yours, and asked me which one wasn't promoting civility, I would pick yours. He's just showing frustration in a way that doesn't lash out at anybody, but your comment is (I think unintentionally) almost bait to cause the conversation to derail and become about the people instead of the topic.

Well, I don't know about all season, but we all know these last few games are meant to reflect our regular season rotation, and now suddenly TJ's the backup. It's not a big leap to assume Jim might still view TJ as the backup and AJ as the third string PG, given that.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

IT'S AN OUT RAGE. how is AJ not the backup? JOB makes me mad. hopefully it is just to get his trade value up.

Ok that makes sense, possibly they are thinking after last year when AJ played well and then was benched

Thanks
    yea...

Seeing how he plays in the preseason with the second unit? Yea, fine.
    Showcasing him possibly? Possibly, stupid idea, but it's possible. (And even if we were to trade TJ to New Orleans, what would we take back? Not sure how the money would fit.)

I should back off, yet again..and wait for Jimmy to do the stupid thing I expect him to do, before I get upset at him for it.
    Last edited by Sookie; 10-15-2010 at 01:46 PM.

If someone showed me Bill's response and yours, and asked me which one wasn't promoting civility, I would pick yours. He's just showing frustration in a way that doesn't lash out at anybody, but your comment is (I think unintentionally) almost bait to cause the conversation to derail and become about the people instead of the topic.
    ok,

thanks cause I dont want to bait anyone, in fact Im trying to work on myself

I just got into troubble at work becasue someone went back to my GM and said I dropped a few "F Bombs' at work

I was like "no f'in way "

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Seriously. Insert obligatory Star Trek face palm pic.

I truly hope it is showcasing, because haven't we seen enough to TJ to know that he isn't a viable point guard for this team? Starter or backup? I have seen enough to know that anyway.

As said above, I hope that this is nothing more than a so called "test run" just to see how TJ looks.

AJ has been fine in the preseason, and he's allegedly not even 100%. Putting TJ in behind Darren makes no sense to me.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Sports Logo

Maybe they don't want to place to many minutes on AJ coming off an knee injury.

I think it is :

Being fair to TJ who has been a good solider
    Maybe showcasing him a little
    See how TJ works with some of the new aquisitions

and last but hopefull not real

play TJ and DC together

Although I agree Aj does shot better , I think TJ is the better passer and more of a "true PG" than AJ
    Just...no...

TJ's better at passing to the other team. And his little free throw jumper is better.

And playing TJ and DC together that's a nightmare right there. (yes, let's play two tiny ball dominant PGs who aren't completely comfortable in the system..together)

TJ seems like a good person. And maybe in a different system he'd pass better and make better decisions with the ball (although..I think he's just a poor decision maker, personally) And I wish him well. I just don't want to watch him play any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by pacers74 View Post
    It's still preseason and they are still tinkering with their lineups. TJ might be the primary backup tonight, but that doesn't mean he is moving ahead of AJ in the rotation. We'll have to wait and see how he plays. Maybe this will force AJ to step his game even more to make sure he keeps the back up role. Competition is not always a bad thing.

Absolutely, plus Ford needs some PT b4 the reg season starts.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    AJ has been fine in the preseason, and he's allegedly not even 100%.
    There's the rub. If something happens to set AJ back physically (and, Lord knows, that is always a possibility with this team) it would be nice to have some preseason time to show what (if anything) TJ can do in the rotation.

Really, I think we're seeing another consequence of JOB speaking in absolutes. "The last three games will reflect our rotation" vs. "The last three games will, with some exceptions, reflect our rotation".

I'd like to get a reference to the full quote in context, I've lost it.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    Just...no...

TJ's better at passing to the other team. And his little free throw jumper is better.

And playing TJ and DC together that's a nightmare right there. (yes, let's play two tiny ball dominant PGs who aren't completely comfortable in the system..together)

TJ seems like a good person. And maybe in a different system he'd pass better and make better decisions with the ball (although..I think he's just a poor decision maker, personally) And I wish him well. I just don't want to watch him play any longer.
    lol ya TJ is a turnover machine he is a really really poor man's Allen Iverson.

Obie told TJ he'd get a fair shot to earn a spot in the rotation behind DC, this is it. No more, no less. He's just keeping his word, I believe.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

If only Jim didn't have a history of doing just that.........

History does seem to repeat itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    He's just keeping his word, I believe.
    That's a first. Just wish that was the case when he came in talking tough about playing time is dictated by practice. If you don't practice, you don't play. *cough*JO*cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    That's a first. Just wish that was the case when he came in talking tough about playing time is dictated by practice. If you don't practice, you don't play. *cough*JO*cough*

I'd bet we are 4 or 5 - TJ jumps in the air with no where to go after breaking the offense - from TJ headed back to the bench, so basically by the end of the 3rd quarter tonight.

Also, I wouldn't put it past Obie to play TJ AND AJ tonight with AJ playing a wing ala Jarret Jack/Luther Head. Dude loves his small ball.

Would anyone be shocked if the 2nd team tonight was TJ, AJ, Paul George, Posey and Jeff? I wouldn't!

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Obie told TJ he'd get a fair shot to earn a spot in the rotation behind DC, this is it. No more, no less. He's just keeping his word, I believe.
    And that's fair. But just once again, how well does TJ have to play to earn his spot over AJ?

Because when Obie says things like "Price has been out best player across the board. Never has a bad practice ect.." And then gets benched..what exactly is AJ supposed to do in order to gain playing time? Most players would assume they'd get playing time if their coach believes they've been playing better than anyone else on the team, and they "never have a bad practice." And I'm only saying that's a possibility now because it is what happened last year. (Except it was "outplays vet PGs in practice" then "outplays vet PGs in games." and yet..)
    Last edited by Sookie; 10-15-2010 at 02:15 PM.

I'm excited to see him play tonight. If he returns to his level of play before the concussion we should have a very interesting point guard battle!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to flox For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    And that's fair. But just once again, how well does TJ have to play to earn his spot over AJ?

Because when Obie says things like "Price has been out best player across the board. Never has a bad practice ect.." And then gets benched..what exactly is AJ supposed to do in order to gain playing time? Most players would assume they'd get playing time if their coach believes they've been playing better than anyone else on the team, and they "never have a bad practice."
    Same guy who said Magnum role was the best player, by far, pre summer league pratice.

Same guy who said AJ was the steal of the draft with a horizon that projected to starter on a very good team...then benched him....then called him a 'back up' point guard in the offseason....then said he was the best player in training camp....now?

Same guy who praised Tinsley, then exiled him, then later when asked about praising him, admitted "what else was I gonna say at the time"

Said TJ was in for a big year during last years training camp. (kinda not his fault, I guess, if TJ really looked good in practice)

I mean I understand things are fluid and change, but man sometimes I wonder about what he says.

Interesting side note, I saw someone from our board asked Grady at 1070thefan about the Jim O'Brien show this year (Duke or Peck, maybe, via Twitter) and MG didn't think they were going to have a show this year....doesn't surprise me. Kinda sucks though, he'd speak pretty frankly on the show, whether you believed him or not well... (btw, blaming Duke for this for cornering him on the plus/minus deal

I'm not just jumping on the bandwagon to bash Obie here, but he does say different things at different times. Not sure if he's trying to motivate guys or what, but it's puzzling to me.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post: