Thread: Pacers Dealing For A Big? (HOOPSWORLD ARTICLE)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pacers Dealing For A Big? (HOOPSWORLD ARTICLE)

By: Yannis Koutroupis
    http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=17610

Adding Depth Inside: The Indiana Pacers gave up one of the most underrated big men in the league this summer when they traded double-double machine Troy Murphy to the New Jersey Nets. It hurt their depth inside, but it was a necessary sacrifice that they had to make in order to acquire promising young point guard Darren Collison. So far, Josh McRoberts has done an admirable job of stepping up in Murphy's absence and providing more versatility.

"Josh has been terrific," Pacers head coach Jim O'Brien told HOOPSWORLD. "He's done everything we've asked him to do. He's rebounding and being an effective playmaker. When he has a stand-still open three he's knocking it down. He's not a Troy Murphy, who is a high volume 3 point shooter. He can do a lot of different things. (The starting power forward job) is Josh's to lose and I don't think he's going to lose it. He's going to have a terrific year."

"Josh has been doing extremely well," agreed Pacers center Roy Hibbert. "This summer he's been working with me, been my right hand buddy in the weight room and on the court all summer. I think that's his spot. We are happy to have Tyler Hansbrough back too, though."

Hansbrough, a second-year forward who the Pacers drafted 13th overall in the 2009 NBA Draft, has finally received a clean bill of health. He's back on the court after playing just 29 games in 2009-2010. Hansbrough is slated to be McRoberts' main backup, but Coach O'Brien is hesitant to put any big expectations on him.

"Tyler is almost like a rookie," explained O'Brien. "He hasn't had the repetitions that are needed. He's not going to be a guy who can space the court, so he has to find other ways to be an effective player."

"I'm still trying to find my rhythm," added Hansbrough. "It's been a long set back. I feel like the more I play the faster it will come. (Me and Josh) were going to war last year when the starting power forward position wasn't available. That's the way we play. We're going to go at each other, but it's not a competition we wish the beach for each other. Troy left some big shoes to fill and hopefully we can fill them."

While the Pacers would ideally like for McRoberts and Hansbrough to handle the minutes at the power forward position, they're still searching the trade market for another big man to give some additional help. According to Mike Wells of The Indianapolis Star they are offering guard Dahntay Jones and Solomon Jones in potential 2-for-1 deals that would also get their roster down to 15 players. If the Pacers aren't able to find another big, they'll likely deal one of those two for a trade exception and play small when they need to.

"We have the ability to play small," acknowledged Coach O'Brien. "We can use James Posey at the four. In order to make Collison and TJ Ford effective the court needs to be spaced and it's difficult to do that when you have perimeter guys that can't make the three."

Playing small isn't as viable of an option as it used to be in the Eastern Conference for a team with playoff aspirations like the Pacers. The conference's top teams are featuring some of the league's best big men like Carlos Boozer, Amar'e Stoudemire, Dwight Howard, Chris Bosh and Kevin Garnett. Having a strong big man rotation is vital, so expect the Pacers to make something happen because their current rotation of McRoberts, Hansbrough, Hibbert and Foster isn't reliable or deep enough to ensure their spot in the top eight.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?...#ixzz12RLOdlxp
    Grown Man Ball

Banned

Default Re: Pacers Dealing For A Big? (HOOPSWORLD ARTICLE)

"We can use James Posey at the four"

I called it

What I've been thinking about more and more lately is that the Pacers are totally, 100% screwed if Hibbert is injured for any length of time. Our back-ups are back-ups. They are not the types of guys that could step into a starting role. I'll be shocked if Foster plays 1,000 minutes this season. Solo's capable of big minutes, but we're not winning if he's our starting center. If Hibbert were to go down, our only option as I see it would be to move McRoberts to center, go small, and play Tyler more minutes.

I think we're fine at the PF position with Josh & Tyler and the ability to play Danny, Posey, and possibly Paul George there. It's the back-up center position that is the biggest need on the roster. It would be fantastic if we could pick up a guy like Pachulia or Kristic (long shots, I know). As it is right now, we're going to lose probably 75% of games that Hibbert misses.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I called it
    Is there actually anyone who didn't think Posey would play minutes at the 4 for the Pacers this season?
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post:

Banned

How about Scalabrine? he can shoot the three

I don't think there is anything at all new in the article. he just took the trade of Troy, and used some of Mike Wells stuff and put it together in an article.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

The Indiana Pacers gave up one of the most underrated big men in the league this summer when they traded double-double machine Troy Murphy to the New Jersey Nets. It hurt their depth inside
    Underrated?? Hes the exact opposite...overrated.

With Indy, Murphy was a product of the system. JOB's system loves to take 3-pointers and Murphy fit right into the system.

I feel sorry for fantasy GMs who take Murphy expecting him to be a double double machine....even Collison's numbers are going to drop, especially in the assist column
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

the quote above from Roy Hibbert doesn't tell the whole story...here is what ACTUALLY happened:

"Josh has been doing extremely well," agreed Pacers center Roy Hibbert. "This summer he's been working with me, been my right hand buddy in the weight room and on the court all summer. I think that's his spot." Hibbert looks over, sees Hansbrough staring at him menacingly, curling a dumbell, veins popping on his forehead. "We are happy to have Tyler Hansbrough back too, though."

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nerveghost For This Useful Post:

How about Scalabrine? he can shoot the three
    I could be wrong but I think he signed with Chicago.

None the less, this picture still blows my mind

Grown Man Ball

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

We have the ability to play small," acknowledged Coach O'Brien. "We can use James Posey at the four. In order to make Collison and TJ Ford effective the court needs to be spaced and it's difficult to do that when you have perimeter guys that can't make the three."

Playing small isn't as viable of an option as it used to be in the Eastern Conference for a team with playoff aspirations like the Pacers. The conference's top teams are featuring some of the league's best big men like Carlos Boozer, Amar'e Stoudemire, Dwight Howard, Chris Bosh and Kevin Garnett. Having a strong big man rotation is vital, so expect the Pacers to make something happen because their current rotation of McRoberts, Hansbrough, Hibbert and Foster isn't reliable or deep enough to ensure their spot in the top eight.
    He must really miss Troy
    Sittin on top of the world!

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    I could be wrong but I think he signed with Chicago.

None the less, this picture still blows my mind

Your correct he signed with Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by nerveghost View Post
    the quote above from Roy Hibbert doesn't tell the whole story...here is what ACTUALLY happened:

"Josh has been doing extremely well," agreed Pacers center Roy Hibbert. "This summer he's been working with me, been my right hand buddy in the weight room and on the court all summer. I think that's his spot." Hibbert looks over, sees Hansbrough staring at him menacingly, curling a dumbell, veins popping on his forehead. "We are happy to have Tyler Hansbrough back too, though."
    Thats great, but basketball requires skills, not big muscles

No, you see...the joke is....ah, forget it...

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nerveghost For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"We wish the beach for ea ch other"--so they each want the other traded to Miami. Go figure..

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    What I've been thinking about more and more lately is that the Pacers are totally, 100% screwed if Hibbert is injured for any length of time. Our back-ups are back-ups. They are not the types of guys that could step into a starting role. I'll be shocked if Foster plays 1,000 minutes this season. Solo's capable of big minutes, but we're not winning if he's our starting center. If Hibbert were to go down, our only option as I see it would be to move McRoberts to center, go small, and play Tyler more minutes.

I think we're fine at the PF position with Josh & Tyler and the ability to play Danny, Posey, and possibly Paul George there. It's the back-up center position that is the biggest need on the roster. It would be fantastic if we could pick up a guy like Pachulia or Kristic (long shots, I know). As it is right now, we're going to lose probably 75% of games that Hibbert misses.
    I know its politically incorrect but

Kind of think we should buy out Foster, trade him, or make him a player coach.

I mean he was one of my favorite playres but it seems father time has snatched his abilities away

22. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nerveghost View Post
    No, you see...the joke is....ah, forget it...
    If this was towards me and you bolded the Tyler part

I agree

Banned
    Mood

I'd like to see us bring in a big who, if he does nothing else, rebounds at a high level. Milwaukee's Jon Brockman comes to mind, although I'm not sure how eager they'd be to move him, especially to a division rival.
    Last edited by Lance George; 10-15-2010 at 01:54 PM.

I called it
    Oh Jim, screwing around with players' positions again.

I just can't believe Posey can play the 4. What's JOB's reasoning? Posey's far too slow to guard any 3's, so we'll let him play the 4 instead of standing worthlessly around the 3 point line?

UGH, glad we have Collison. But I now see why NO wanted Posey gone so badly.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I just can't believe Posey can play the 4. What's JOB's reasoning? Posey's far too slow to guard any 3's, so we'll let him play the 4 instead of standing worthlessly around the 3 point line?

Have you ever watched the JOB-led Pacers?

That's pretty much in the job description.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post

he cant play the four or the three. He is too out of shape old/ slow to play any postion he was the price we had to pay to get DC. That is why there was talk of a buyout but posey didnt want any of that.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    Is there actually anyone who didn't think AJ Price would play minutes at the 4 for the Pacers this season?
    Fixed

...and ruined

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post: