Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Larry Brown: Allen Iverson Deserves Better Than Finishing Career in Turkey

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Larry Brown: Allen Iverson Deserves Better Than Finishing Career in Turkey

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/10/14/l...ishing-career/
    By Tim Povtak

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The news earlier this week that former NBA superstar Allen Iverson could be ending his career playing in Turkey made Larry Brown wince Thursday. It clearly bothered him.

Larry Brown and Allen Iverson, 2002
    Brown, now coaching the Charlotte Bobcats, was the one most responsible for molding Iverson into the player he became -- one of the league's all-time greats.

They were together -- often in a love/hate relationship -- for six seasons in Philadelphia, reaching the NBA Finals in 2001. During their run together, Iverson became the NBA's Most Valuable Player, led the league in scoring three times, and twice was named All-NBA first team.

"Nobody who has done as much as Allen has done for this league should have to be in Turkey playing, to end his career,'' Brown said before the Bobcats-Magic game Thursday. "We have one of the most special players ever in our sport, who still has something left. I feel terrible about this. That is not how he should be ending his career.''

Iverson, 35, is considering a $2 million, one-year offer from Besiktas Cola Turka, according to his business partner Gary Moore. Iverson wanted to play this season in the NBA, but he found no one was interested, including the Bobcats.

He struggled last season with a variety of issues, starting the year and playing three games with Memphis, clashing with the coaching staff over his role before asking for his release. He later played 25 games with Philadelphia, averaged 13.9 points, but he left because of family issues.

Throughout his career, Iverson (6-0, 165 pounds) has been regarded as one of the toughest, pound-for-pound players in league history, both dynamic on the court but divisive in the locker room.

Brown said the Bobcats seriously considered signing Iverson last season, but he and majority partner Michael Jordan opted against it because of how it might affect the younger guards they were trying to develop.

"I remember an NBA coaches' meeting this summer, someone from the NBA staff, talking to me about 'hey this is not the way Allen should be ending his career,' " Brown said. "The commissioner (David Stern) doesn't want to see it happen like this. I feel terrible about it. He did so much for me, and my career.''
    Although most everyone agrees that Iverson still could contribute to an NBA team, they also wonder how he would accept a reduced role after being a starter and star for so many years. It was an issue he never was comfortable with last season.

"I wish I was in a position to help him, where it wouldn't affect the other guys I'm coaching,'' Brown said. "He needs to be on a great team that has a chance to win (a championship) and could utilize what he does. He doesn't need to be in Turkey.''
    Kudos to Larry Brown, what a classy guy for sticking up for AI. No matter what you think of Allen personally, I love him. He gave his heart and soul on the court and took more beating s thatn any little guy I have ever seen. I really wish someone like San Antonio would pick him up

sad times, I iss allen, makes me feel old that he is now old
    Sittin on top of the world!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Larry Brown: Allen Iverson Deserves Better Than Finishing Career in Turkey

I agree with Larry Brown 100%.
    Grown Man Ball

Mood

Default Re: Larry Brown: Allen Iverson Deserves Better Than Finishing Career in Turkey

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Me 2 but he would have a spot in the NBA if he wanted a bench role.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

he can be on any team in the league...as long as it is not the Pacers...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nerveghost For This Useful Post:

I love watching the guy play so much heart . Like I said I think he could help San Antonio, OKC, Utah, Orlando

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If some team wanted Iverson, then he would already be on that team.

Obviously, no one wants him.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stryder For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Maybe the Heat will sign him. What could it possibly hurt???

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    Maybe the Heat will sign him. What could it possibly hurt???
    everything lol

Larry Brown should finish his career here, I think.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

The Bobcats need a Guard that has experience running the point.....maybe Larry Brown should help Iverson out and simply sign him to the Bobcats.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

RWB

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

AI could play for any team in the league if he was willing to fit them instead of making them fit him.

It isn't like he has been unfairly blacklisted.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    The Bobcats need a Guard that has experience running the point.....maybe Larry Brown should help Iverson out and simply sign him to the Bobcats.
    LB sais he discussed it with MJ but decided it would take playing time form the young guards

Translation: "I dont want him coming here and b%$ing about playing time ao anything else and creating a negative feeling around the team"

he shouldnt have to take a bench role either. i bet he is still top 10 pg in league. and i think the cancer thing is overrated.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to itzryan07 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    makes me feel old that he is now old
    Me too .. I am the same age (35) as Iverson..

It's crazy , how the vigorous training and harsh 82 game schedule with the constant on-the-go traveling can prematurely age an athlete so quickly..

I hear people make the comment all the time , how this or that nba player is old or at the twilight of their career ... yet the same player(s) being talked about may only be 32 to 34 yrs old .. It really makes me feel old.. even though I know I'm not really....

I don't think age matters as much as how the individual has taken care of themselves during their career..

Look at Kidd and Nash .. both are my age ... Nash (35) ... Kidd (36) ..

They BOTH are STILL considered 2 of the best p.g.'s in the whole league ..

Nash is, and has been EASILY.. a top 5 p.g. .. IMO a top 3 ..

Then you have Kidd , whom is DEFINITELY in the top 8 RIGHT NOW at 36yrs old..

I still wish Iverson could find an NBA team to play a few good years and retire with..
    As far as on the court , AI can still ball like it's no one's business..

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You guys talking about the same douche that isn't signing with Turkey because he needs a guaranteed "cap" on the fines he can incur? If that's not a sign you shouldn't be signing someone, I don't know what is.

He'd have a spot on a team if he wasn't a selfish, stubborn, washed up chucker who think's he's on par with Michael Jordan.

Give the guy a better attitude and he'd be on any one of several teams in the NBA right now. This is his own doing.

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Look at Kidd and Nash .. both are my age ... Nash (35) ... Kidd (36) ..

They BOTH are STILL considered 2 of the best p.g.'s in the whole league ..

Nash is, and has been EASILY.. a top 5 p.g. .. IMO a top 3 ..

Then you have Kidd , whom is DEFINITELY in the top 8 RIGHT NOW at 36yrs old..
    Nash yes

But they say J Kidd now functions best as a SF becasue he cant guard any PG anymore

Nash looks like he still has it though

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    You guys talking about the same douche that isn't signing with Turkey because he needs a guaranteed "cap" on the fines he can incur? If that's not a sign you shouldn't be signing someone, I don't know what is.

He'd have a spot on a team if he wasn't a selfish, stubborn, washed up chucker who think's he's on par with Michael Jordan.

Give the guy a better attitude and he'd be on any one of several teams in the NBA right now. This is his own doing.
    although Im not necessarly disagreeing with you, but pride is a tough thing to let go of

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

At least he won't have to use deodorant anymore.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

29. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I totally agree with Larry Brown but pride has been his downfall.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    Yep. Too bad Allen Iverson had to go and ruin everything for Allen Iverson. Stupid AI, no appreciation for a legend.

The guy is an a-hole and a prima-donna. He's made this bed with how he handled the last couple of stops he was at.

I like how he should be handed a title run just because...maybe not get infamous for being selfish and difficult, maybe do more to lead Denver on a title run when it was a legit contender and maybe just retire when no NBA team sees value to your game.

I'm not trying to come off as hateful, but AI had 90% to do with where he is at now. The owners don't get together and decide to keep out an NBA icon that can help their team. Freaking Shawne Williams and Ron Artest and Latrell Spreewell all got 2nd and 3rd chances. NBA teams will take anyone that can help them win, their quality of person standards aren't known to be high.

What they don't like to do is overspend on troublesome vets who might not have the goods anymore. See the aforementioned Spreewell and how his career ended.

32. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

He lasted three games with Memphis. They replaced him with Jamaal Tinsley for god's sake. There's a reason why nobody's signing him, and it has nothing to do with lack of talent.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

What did you expect? He's a turkey.

Edit: I expected at least one thanks for this one...:<(

Edit2: Thanks Tom, I needed that...;<)
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 10-16-2010 at 09:41 AM.
    LeWade are going down.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    At least he won't have to use deodorant anymore.
    Thats not funny I go to euro every summer. My family over there and other people where deodorant. Just different places smell different.( i know u are refering to DG33's tweet)
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 10-17-2010 at 08:03 PM.

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I'm not trying to come off as hateful, but AI had 90% to do with where he is at now.
    You are right. The guy is a prima donna deluxe. I don't think we've heard the end of the AI story...and I wonder if this is not the saddest chapter. I'm thinking an Antoine Walker ending is coming.

At one point, I thought the guy started "getting it". I don't think that really happened. I think he just became less stupid after about 10 years in the league. I just hope he has better handlers than Fatoine.
    LeWade are going down.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Thats not funny I go to euro every summer my family over there and other people where deodorant just different places smell different.( i know u are refering to DG33's tweet)
    Not sure what the heck you just said.

But it was funny.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown