Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pacer fans are spoiled

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacer fans are spoiled

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't make me make you sit next to me again.
    This came across .... slightly creepy.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Smith View Post
    The pacers haven't done anything since reaching the ECF in 2004. Don't understand how pacer fans are spoiled. I like how the pacers are turning the corner though. Otherwise, I love the article!
    The Pacers have done a lot since reaching the 2004 ECF. They have changed the culture of the team. Indiana will not tolarate knuckle heads. The fans showed their displeasure and the francise responded. No other team have been through what we've been through. No other team could have handled it better than we've handled it.

If I could edit the title I would put "Pacer fans were spoiled". Making the playoffs 16 out of 17 years was nice. That streak would have been bigger if it wasn't for unforseen circumstances. Contrast that with our early NBA days when we didn't make the playoffs 11 out of 13 years.

You're right the Pacers are turning the corner. Go Pacers!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to indianapolismarkus For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

1. You can edit the title.

2. Not many people care a whole lot about making the playoffs a lot when there's no championship at the end of the rainbow. When there are more years since your last championship than there are teams in the NBA, you're not spoiled. The Pacers had a very long run of success, but they never reached their goal. There's nothing about that era that bought the Pacers a free pass for what's gone on since 2005.

3. All that's changed in the last 5 years is that management has crapped all over the franchise and the fanbase. They've changed the culture of the team from a winning one to a losing one. They're just now realizing how hard it is to stop the chain of misfortune they themselves set in motion. Stop trying to paint this as rosy when it isn't.

I give people a lot of credit for sticking it out through this, but I don't blame anybody that's been jaded by recent events. I also find it condescending to tell fans that have been out of the first round exactly twice in the last decade that they've had too much success.
    Last edited by Kstat; 10-16-2010 at 07:09 PM.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post

2. Not many people care a whole lot about making the playoffs a lot when there's no championship at the end of the rainbow. When there are more years since your last championship than there are teams in the NBA, you're not spoiled. The Pacers had a very long run of success, but they never reached their goal. There's nothing about that era that bought the Pacers a free pass for what's gone on since 2005.

3. All that's changed in the last 5 years is that management has crapped all over the franchise and the fanbase. They've changed the culture of the team from a winning one to a losing one. They're just now realizing how hard it is to stop the chain of misfortune they themselves set in motion. Stop trying to paint this as rosy when it isn't.

I give people a lot of credit for sticking it out through this, but I don't blame anybody that's been jaded by recent events.
    Lol. Resident Pistons fan is a little jealous that we have a decent future.

And for the record, DW crapped all over the franchise, not Bird, not Morway.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Bird and Donnie both played parts. I realize that people will gravitate towards defending Bird's involvement because he's still here and Donnie isn't, but the truth is Bird has been here a while and we don't know how much involvement he had in the deals that were made when Donnie was still here.

Bird isn't exactly Matt Millen, though. He's made some quality moves, but he's also made some poor decisions. Hibbert was a great pick, and Collison was a great trade.

As for jealously, I'm not and won't be jealous. I wouldn't be here for this long if I were. It is what it is. The Pacers and Pistons are both cellar teams, albeit the Pacers are a slight favorite to finish 4th with a more well-balanced roster.
    Last edited by Kstat; 10-16-2010 at 07:16 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

I give people a lot of credit for sticking it out through this, but I don't blame anybody that's been jaded by recent events. I also find it condescending to tell fans that have been out of the first round exactly twice in the last decade that they've had too much success.
    (If someone could school me on how to change the thread title I'd appreciate it. Maybe a seven year PD vet can help a brother out.)

Many fans do care a whole lot about making the playoffs but you also need momentum so when you get there you can have hope of going farther. If you're only chasing championships at the end of the rainbow then you should take your talents to south beach.

In the last 30 years their have been only eight different champs. In the decade previous their were also eight different champs. The 70's saw the NBA almost fold. The Bird and Magic rivalry saved the league. MJ then took it to another level.

The NBA loves super teams. They make more money and draw more interest. Greed has hurt the league and will hopfully be set right in the next CBA.

The NBA is not a equal opportunity league. The Clippers should change their name and move to Seatle. If you measure spoiledness by championships won over a 30 year period then more than two thirds of the league have not tasted it. If you measure by how a team is run then one third.

Look at Utah they have been a relatively well run franchise. They got lucky and drafted two HOFers that played there a long time and never won it all. They bottomed out, got D.Will and are now making another playoff run. If your a Jazz fan then you can be proud of your team.

Whats gone on since 2005 have been a complete rebuild for the Pacers. What's going on in Cleveland since James left? A rebuild. Those fans may never see a championship. They finally lead the league in wins, get upset in the playoffs and that's it. Their native son leaves, total heartbreak!

Cav fans must be fealing similar to how we felt when one man's decision cost us our hoop dream.

Whats gone on in Chicago since 1998? A couple rebuilds. Jordan retires, the Bulls bottom out and they get the first pick in the draft to start building. They've had six years out, three years in, a bad year and then the number one overall pick AGAIN with a 33 win team.

Whats gone on in Milwaukee since Mr. Sky Hook told the city that they didn't have enough culture.

Whats gone on in Detroit since 2004? Sad leadership from all three major sports. Pistons, Tigers and Lions. Detroit is where a HOF running back in his prime retires to get away from that city. Detroit is where you draft Darko and trade Billups for AI.

All that changed in the last five years is that we have got out of our crap but you'll be in yours for awhile. We have changed our culture from ghetto to fine and upstanding. The Bad Boys like being ghetto and because the Lion & Tigers carry such a huge chain of misfortune they don't feel so bad.

You don't like when things are painted rosey? Sometimes condescention is hard to decipher.

Go Pacers!
    Last edited by indianapolismarkus; 10-17-2010 at 04:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    they will come back just wait till we start winning this city is a band wagon city.
    Indiana fans will be back. They left because they are showing their displeasure over "the incident". They have a legitimate gripe of how the Pacers embarrassed the whole state of Indiana. In the distant past our fans showed displeasure because we were poorly run.

The band wagon city right now is Miami. You'll see by how many Heat fans show up at the Fieldhouse.

Me and my fellow Area 55ers are going to pump you up. Go Pacers!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indianapolismarkus View Post
    Indiana fans will be back. They left because they are showing their displeasure over "the incident". They have a legitimate gripe of how the Pacers embarrassed the whole state of Indiana. In the distant past our fans showed displeasure because we were poorly run.

The band wagon city right now is Miami. You'll see by how many Heat fans show up at the Fieldhouse.

Me and my fellow Area 55ers are going to pump you up. Go Pacers!
    ya i ll be right there with you cheerin on te pacers . But idk if they will be liked or hated. Lots of my friends who lied LeBron and Wade dont likem anymore.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by indianapolismarkus View Post

Whats gone on in Detroit since 2004? Sad leadership from all three major sports. Pistons, Tigers and Lions. Detroit is where a HOF running back in his prime retires to get away from that awful city. Detroit is where you draft Darko and trade Billups for AI. That's why some people move to NC.
    Yeah, that's why I left Detroit, because we drafted Darko and it's an awful place. You are ridiculous.

Go sing some Ron Artest folk songs.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    ya i ll be right there with you cheerin on te pacers . But idk if they will be liked or hated. Lots of my friends who lied LeBron and Wade dont likem anymore.
    You go boy! You and your friends sound like true Indiana fans it makes me feel all good inside. You are a good example of the next generation of Pacer fan. Keep it up. It sounds like you already have made a commitment to the Pacers with your name and all. You're a gem, you remind me of myself when I was your age.

I love your story about Lance. See you at the game.

Area 55 where Pacer fans for life happens. Go Pacers!
    Last edited by indianapolismarkus; 10-17-2010 at 07:19 AM.

Yeah, that's why I left Detroit, because we drafted Darko and it's an awful place. You are ridiculous.

Go sing some Ron Artest folk songs.
    Anyone that has a Detroit avatar needs to be able to dish it out but also take it.

If you've been adopted by PD and are on our 2K11 squad then I'm on your side.

I liked your cheap, theatrical, self-serving revision of history line. That's classic!

Area 55 where singing folk songs happens. Go Pacers!
    Last edited by indianapolismarkus; 10-19-2010 at 04:56 AM.

Ive been here for 7 years. You've been here for 7 days. It's one thing to resent the Pistons,but you cross the line of reality when you paint ron artest as a folk hero.

Im not even referring to 11/19 when I ask this: has any player ever done more damage to his own team than Ron Artest?
    Ron Artest is a cult hero. He's a mentally weak individual that can be baited into poor decisions.

Some people it takes seven years to build up credibility and seven days to ruin it.

I think LeBron has done more damage to the Cavs than Ron to the Pacers.

Area 55 where true fans reside. Go Pacers!