Thread: Suprise, Suprise- Union Plans Legal Action Over Rise In Technicals

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Default Suprise, Suprise- Union Plans Legal Action Over Rise In Technicals

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/10/14/u...s=iref:nbahpt2

NEW YORK (AP) -- The NBA players association is planning legal action over the league's decision to issue more technical fouls for complaining.

Billy Hunter, the executive director of the union, said in a statement Thursday that the players weren't consulted about the rules changes, which he called "an unnecessary and unwarranted overreaction" by the league.

"We intend to file an appropriate legal challenge," Hunter said.

The NBA has told players they will be whistled for technicals for overt gestures, even if they aren't directed at a referee, running up to an official to contest a call, or other actions that don't show proper respect for the game.

That figures to create a rise in technical fouls, which come with heavier fines this season. There were four called in a 16-second span of Boston's exhibition victory over New York on Wednesday, with Celtics All-Star Kevin Garnett being ejected after picking up two of them for arguing.

The league put the policy in place this season after saying its research showed fans felt that the players complained too much, which Hunter disputes.

"We have not seen any increase in the level of 'complaining' to the officials and we believe that players as a whole have demonstrated appropriate behavior toward the officials," Hunter said. "Worse yet, to the extent the harsher treatment from the referees leads to a stifling of the players' passion and exuberance for their work, we fear these changes may actually harm our product."

Besides warning of more techs, the NBA doubled the cost of them. Players and coaches are now docked $2,000 for each of their first five, all the way up to $5,000 starting at No. 16, along with a one-game suspension for every other technical.

It's the second time the players have responded to the league's plans to call more techs by threatening legal action. They filed an unfair labor practice charge with the National Labor Relations Board early in the 2006-07 season, when the league's crackdown on griping was referred to as a "zero tolerance policy."
    This is an injustice to all of the NBA players who have it so rough; they can't possibly be expected to adapt to the reinforced technical rules!

I'm not for the robotic-like reactions only to ticky tacky foul calls. But I do know that if you have a job you should be able to adapt to new rules.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Suprise, Suprise- Union Plans Legal Action Over Rise In Technicals

You shouldn't have to adapt to completely ridiculous rules which cost you money. They need to go back to the way it was.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

This is what an official or David Stern would say:

Is it really completely ridiculous to get fined for rebelling against authority?

I think things have changed so much over time that public perception has made people believe that referees are just pushovers; we are actual people who have jobs and go home to a wife and kids just like everyone else. And we believe that we should be able to do their job without being ridiculed by commentators and players. And they should be able to follow the rules without throwing a ***** fit.

______

Thats not neccesarily what I think about the rule, but I'm just being fair.

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You shouldn't have to adapt to completely ridiculous rules which cost you money. They need to go back to the way it was.
    They hold the keys to their own prison.

The players better watch it, or the refs might actually start calling what's in the rule book. Games would take 5 hours, but whatever.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Techicals are not free.

Each tech cost the player $2500 depending how many they have. The more they get the more the NBA charges. That's why the Player Union is upset. They are losing money at an alarming rate with that crazy rule.

Then if it's so crazy, they better stop getting technicals.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Are you guys not tired of the constant whining from the players? And didn't they try this two years ago? I think it will go back, but this will be a topic of discussion this coming summer.

Get ready for a lock-out.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

What is in the rule book in regards to technical fouls. I always thought it was purely a judgment call by the ref. That is what I think it should be.

This issue is just a distraction and appears to be driving a wedge between the players and the NBA at a time when they need to work together for the good of the NBA to reach a new CBA

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

woman without a team

I understand where the league is coming from, but it's already pretty obvious that they're taking it too far. Last night I told Kegboy that on opening night all the players should mouth off to the refs. When everyone gets thrown out what's David Stern gonna do?

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indianapolismarkus View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Techicals are not free.

Each tech cost the player $2500 depending how many they have. The more they get the more the NBA charges. That's why the Player Union is upset. They are losing money at an alarming rate with that crazy rule.
    Very roughly - because suspensions would start and the costs would vary, and I dopn't know if a suspension for in-game play is with or without pay - but IF youm got a technical in 82 games at $2k per, that's $164 K. For a minimum or rookie player, that's a lot, but for a star player that's about the equivalent of an average wage earner paying a total of $1600 in fines for speeding, parking, etc. over a year.

It's a chunk, but by no means "losing money at an alarming rate".
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh