Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is their another "star" to pair with Granger we can go after?

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Is their another "star" to pair with Granger we can go after?

I think most of us agree that Granger needs another star by him to get us to that next level. I was curious to see if anyone had suggestions on a realstic target either this year or next, that would be considered a star to pair with Granger.

I was thinking Hortford but not sure if he is considerd a "star"

any other thoughts?
    Sittin on top of the world!

Default Re: Is their another "star" to pair with Granger we can go after?

Ricky Rubio
    JOB is a silly man

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We just traded for him, and his name is Darren Collison.

also,

HORFORD is the proper spelling

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=6612

After three seasons of increasingly productive play from center Al Horford, the Hawks have decided they want him for the long term.

The feeling is mutual for Horford, who said team officials and his agent, Arn Tellem, have started negotiations on a contract extension.
    Grown Man Ball

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We just traded for him, and his name is Darren Collison.

also,

HORFORD is the proper spelling

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=6612

After three seasons of increasingly productive play from center Al Horford, the Hawks have decided they want him for the long term.

The feeling is mutual for Horford, who said team officials and his agent, Arn Tellem, have started negotiations on a contract extension.
    yes Darren looks like a really special player. Also if roy can step his game up like last night. We should just wait for free agency next year. If PG24 devolpes he could be a star in 2 yrs and very good for a long time.

My hope is maybe the combination of Collison, Roy, Granger and George and with what will probably need to be an upgrade at power forward will be enough in another couple of seasons. Who knows if that will be championship caliber, but I could envision that being the core of a 50 win team, and if you get to that level then you tweak and see what you can do.

That is the theory anyways.

As a practical matter, I don't know if we are going to be able to get a player better than Granger and be able to keep this core together - unless we get crazy lucky in the draft

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jhondog28 View Post
    Ricky Rubio
    We have Darren.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

.....Larry Brown

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

I am pretty content to go with what we have until next summer. I would love for Bird to pull off another bolckbuster trade, but we already got one this summer and 2 is too much to ask for.
    Horford's agent is in discussion with Atlanta brass for a new schedule, so he might not even be available next summer. If Josh and Tyler don't pan out this year, then maybe we go for Landry. We might also be looking to upgrade the SG position next summer if B.Rush is the same and George doesn't look ready to play.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mike was kind of like the co-star in 07-08 and it looks like he's back himself.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    We have Darren.
    Neither Rubio or Darren are close to star Quality... especially not rubio

Mood

Also my goal for the Pacers are not to just win games but to bring us a/multiple championship... My guess is that to do this we will have to either hit it rich in the draft and get lucky by drafting a super star or do some monster trade that dramatically makes our team better.

For the next 5-6 years I don't really see many teams competing with the Lakers, Magic, Celtics, Heat, Thunder in the playoffs.

Just my view, to add to that most most rookies take atleast 3 to mature to being all star level players in the NBA anyways so yeah I guess I feel that we are a long way from having a team that can compete for a NBA championship.

But after saying all that it would be a good feeling just to see the Pacers in the Playoffs this year even if it isn't a championship

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    My hope is maybe the combination of Collison, Roy, Granger and George and with what will probably need to be an upgrade at power forward will be enough in another couple of seasons. Who knows if that will be championship caliber, but I could envision that being the core of a 50 win team, and if you get to that level then you tweak and see what you can do.

That is the theory anyways.

As a practical matter, I don't know if we are going to be able to get a player better than Granger and be able to keep this core together - unless we get crazy lucky in the draft
    Maybe we save our cap space until 2012 and get someone from that class?

Mood

Granger's a star?
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Wow a robermto sighting to bash Danny. You got your dig in, you can now return to your hole.

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/7/19/15...armelo-anthony
    By Matthew O'Brien

THE PRIZE
    1. Carmelo Anthony (ETO). Carmelo is to 2011 what LeBron was to 2010. Except next summer, there aren't a host of other veritable superstars available as well, like there was this past one. So if Carmelo does turn down Denver's standing extension offer -- potentially leaving tens of millions on the table if he waits for the new CBA -- every team with cap space and/or sign-and-trade assets will likely make a push for the former Syracuse star. The Knicks, of course, figure to be prominently involved.

THE GATORS
    2. Al Horford (R). There's no way the Hawks will let Horford leave...but let's perform a thought experiment: Atlanta get waxed in the second round again next spring. After committing $119 million to Joe Johnson, will Atlanta send themselves into luxury tax hell with a pricey extension for Al Horford? They couldn't afford not to, which means Josh Smith might be on the market soon, as Atlanta might look to clear salary to make keeping Horford more palatable.

THE QUESTION-MARK BIGS
    4. Greg Oden (R). What is an injury-prone, physically dominating, soon-to-be 23-year old center worth? That's the question the Blazers have to figure out, as they decide whether to keep Oden. When healthy last season, Oden put up All-Star caliber numbers, although the key here is "when healthy". How much will teams be willing to pony up for a player who's only played one of his first three seasons, assuming the Blazers don't extend him?

5. Yao Ming (U). What is an injury-prone, vertically imposing, soon-to-be 30 year old center worth? And one who happens to be a one-man marketing team in the most populous nation on the planet? Rockets GM Daryl Morey would be loath to let the Chinese big man walk, but if Yao's recurring foot problems revisit him, will Houston be forced to go in another direction next summer?

THE NEXT BEST
    6. Tony Parker (U). Gregg Popovich is so infatuated with second-year guard George Hill that the Spurs were reportedly shopping Parker this summer to create more cap flexibility for themselves (at least before Richard Jefferson did them a gargantuan favor and inexplicably opted out of his $15 million for 2010). While Parker's lack of range on his shot limits him from reaching the pinnacle of NBA point guards, his still lightning-quick first step makes him a dangerous player, especially for an uptempo team (the Knicks, if they can't land Chris Paul?)

7. Marc Gasol (R). While the Grizzlies have (rightfully) gotten lambasted for essentially giving Pau Gasol away and instantly turning the Lakers into an mini-dynasty, Memphis did get something back in that much-lampooned trade: Pau's little brother, Marc Gasol. And as NBA cognoscenti can tell you, Marc developed into an indispensable contributor for the Grizzlies last season, averaging 14.6 points and 9.3 rebounds per game (and a PER of 19.3). It's hard to predict what a franchise that hands out $80 million to Rudy Gay, but then gets in a pissing match with Xavier Henry over $300k will do, but they should keep Gasol.

8. Caron Butler (U). Butler will soon be 30-years old and isn't quite good enough to justify his propensity for killing ball movement with an assortment of not-so-dizzying ball fakes, but he is still a quite useful player. He's a more than good enough scorer and tenacious rebounder; in the right system (and for the right price), that is plenty valuable.

9. Tim Duncan (ETO). There's no chance Duncan leaves the Spurs, but technically, he can become a free agent next summer if he wants to. Moving on, nothing to see here.

10. David West (ETO). West's future with New Olreans likely comes down to what their plans for Chris Paul are. If the cash-hemorrhaging Hornets decide to pull off a mega-deal for Paul, West will likely be gone as well, as they go into full cost-cutting mode. If they hold onto Paul, however, and try to convince him to stay (Paul is a free agent in 2012), they'd almost have to keep West and try to package their young talent for a bigger piece.

THE NOT QUITE ALL-STARS
    11. Nene Hilario (ETO). Would you believe that Nene is only 27-years old? Dogged by knee injuries, Nene is nonetheless a tantalizing player when healthy: rugged in the paint, but also a versatile, skilled offensive player with a certain passing panache for a big man (at least in the non-Darko category of bigs). If Carmelo leaves Mile High, Nene very well might as well, assuming he can stay healthy.

12. Aaron Brooks (R). Daryl Morey has been stockpiling assets, so there's little chance he'll let the diminutive Brooks leave Houston without getting something in return. After striking out in free agency this summer (Chris Bosh had been their preferred target) and with Yao's future with the club so uncertain, it's even more imperative for the Rockets to land a superstar who can take their roster to contending status. Don't be shocked if Brooks is part of a sign-and-trade deal for someone like Carmelo or Chris Paul.

13. Jason Richardson (U). The former Michigan State star will be 31-years old next summer, so he's just on the downside of his career, but his accuracy from long range and versatile offensive game should make him an interesting option as a No. 3 or 4 scorer on a contender.

14. Carl Landry (U). Landry is Paul Milsap 2.0. Both were overlooked in the draft due to being undersized to play inside, but both have established themselves as tough rebounders with solid mid-range games. Expect Landry to command at least the full mid-level, if not more.

15. Mo Williams (ETO). There's suddenly one big reason less to stay in Cleveland. Williams was obviously distraught at "The Decision", but a season of running the show along with Antawn Jamison as the top two options for the Cavs might be enough to make Williams be the next to bolt from Cleveland

THE RESTRICTED ROLE PLAYERS
    16. Jared Dudley (R). The former BC star has embraced his ultimate NBA destiny as a super-sub, lighting it up from deep off the bench, and being an all-around great chemistry guy. He'd be valuable to any number of contending clubs, and knowing the cheapness of Robert Sarver, it wouldn't be shocking to see the Suns let him walk if he gets a lucrative enough offer elsewhere.

17. Jeff Green (R). Russell Westbrook has emerged as the sidekick to Kevin Durant that people imagined Green would be, and that might make Green expendable for the Thunder. If Sam Presti can keep Green for around the mid-level, expect him to stay in Oklahoma City; if not, don't be surprised to see him suit up elsewhere.

18. Rodney Stuckey (R). Stuckey is big and he can certainly score, so look for the Pistons to hold onto him. Still, he won't be nearly as valuable if he has to move over to the two-guard spot, which is a distinct possibility given his embryonic playmaking skills.

19.WIlson Chandler (R). Depending on how much cap flexibility the Knicks want next summer, as they ostensibly pursue trades for Carmelo Anthony and/or Chris Paul, Chandler could either be part of a sign-and-trade or let go to maximize room under the cap.

20. Thaddeus Young (R). After a promising rookie campaign, Young regressed in his sophomore season with the Sixers. Maybe that was head coach Eddie Jordan's fault for under-utilizing him, but expect Philadelphia to wait until next summer before deciding whether to keep him or not.

21. Marcus Thornton (R). As with David West, Thornton's future hinges on what New Orleans does with Chris Paul. If the Hornets move their all-everything point guard, they could look to build around a backcourt of Thornton -- whom the team struck gold with in last year's second round -- and Darren Collison. If the Hornets elect to keep building around Paul and try to convince him to stay in New Orleans, Thornton would likely be their top tradeable asset, along with Collison. Regardless, Thornton figures to get quite a raise next summer.

22. Glen Davis (U). Alright, Davis won't be a restricted free agent, but he should be one of the top role players available next summer. With so much salary committed to the Big Three Four, don't be surprised if the another team outbids the Celtics for his services and promises him a starting spot. Although, with Garnett, Allen and O'Neal's salaries coming off the books after 2011, Boston could conceivably keep Big Baby if they're willing to accept one particularly onerous luxury tax season
    Of the entire list the only potentials I see are David West and JAson Richardson, not sure if either is a 'Star"

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    Also my goal for the Pacers are not to just win games but to bring us a/multiple championship... My guess is that to do this we will have to either hit it rich in the draft and get lucky by drafting a super star or do some monster trade that dramatically makes our team better.

For the next 5-6 years I don't really see many teams competing with the Lakers, Magic, Celtics, Heat, Thunder in the playoffs.

Just my view, to add to that most most rookies take atleast 3 to mature to being all star level players in the NBA anyways so yeah I guess I feel that we are a long way from having a team that can compete for a NBA championship.

But after saying all that it would be a good feeling just to see the Pacers in the Playoffs this year even if it isn't a championship
    5 to 6 years from now the top teams to beat will be Oklahoma City, Sacramento, and Memphis. Lakers and Celtics wont be so good. I can see the Pacers in the playoffs next year and being a very good team 2-3 years from now.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/feature...nts/index.html
    Art Garcia

Or we could save the money until 2012
    Headliners

Chris Paul (ETO): CP3 isn't a free agent now? Memos and warnings aside, courting clubs will spend the next two years lining up, a la LeBron. The question for the Hornets' new front office: Do they wait it out and risk losing the league's best point guard for nothing in return or, unlike Toronto and Cleveland, broker a deal to get value back?

Deron Williams (ETO): The league's other best point guard could hold Utah's competitive existence in the balance or build a legacy reminiscent of John Stockton. Money and where the Jazz stand in the Western Conference are sure to come into play.

Bring 'Em On

Gerald Wallace (ETO): First-time All Star last season will be 30 in two years. Has battled injuries and considering Charlotte's money-pinching ways, bet on a change of scenery.

Goran Dragic: Either he's ready to take over for Steve Nash in Phoenix or this crafty lefty will be sailing his own ship in different waters.

Kirk Hinrich: Goes from playing alongside/behind Derrick Rose in Chicago to doing the same with John Wall in Washington. Teams in need of a starting point will pursue Hinrich.

Andre Blatche: Blossomed last season, giving Washington an easy decision when it came to moving Brendan Haywood. Young centers equal serious cash.

Chauncey Billups: At 36, Denver's quarterback is in position for the contract that allows a graceful John Elway exit.

Ron Artest (ETO): No sense in predicting what's next. That's a task for the Lakers and Ron-Ron's psychiatrist.

Jason Terry: Dallas' former Sixth Man of the Year will be on the career backend at 35.

Ray Allen: Unclear if a market will exist for a Boston sharpshooter who will be 37.

Kevin Garnett: With his ring and legacy secure, will it be time to hang it up at 36? Boston hopes not.

Steve Nash: Captain Canada once said he could envision playing up to 40. He'll be 38 when the current two-year extension expires.

Jason Kidd: Dallas playmaker will be 39 and has to retire sometime, right?

Not Yet Free

Russell Westbrook: Locking up the multi-talented point guard is the new No. 1 order of business for GM Sam Presti in OKC.

O.J. Mayo: The Grizzlies did right by Rudy Gay. You have to expect a repeat performance for Mr. Mayo.

Brook Lopez: The prediction here is at least one All-Star berth for New Jersey's soft-spoken 7-footer in the next two years. Mikhail Prokhorov will pony up.

George Hill: Count on Hill assuming a much bigger role in San Antonio's scheme, if he hasn't done so already.

Danilo Gallinari: Plenty of room to shine with David Lee out of the picture and the attention given to Amar'e Stoudemire.

Robin Lopez: Doesn't have the ceiling of twin bother Brook, but hard-working Robin figures to be a more-than-serviceable big man for a long time.

Rudy Fernandez: Once seen as the next Manu Ginobili, this Spanish import has likely seen his last days in Portland.

JaVale McGee: One of the standouts of the recent Summer League is on everyone's radar now.

Man slim pickens there only Blatche I see as a possibilty

Looks like we will have to get lucky in the draft or through a trade

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post

The Lakers have about 3-4 more years of a healthy Kobe playing at his current level. After that, they are done unless they pull in some major star to take his spot.

The Celtics have AT MOST 2 more years of being contenders. To say the core of their team is old is an understatement of epic proportions.

The Magic will continue to be contenders who won't win a championship unless they bring in a star to pair with Dwight. Vince Carter is not that guy.

It's too early to pretend that the Thunder are contenders.
    Grown Man Ball

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Wow a robermto sighting to bash Danny. You got your dig in, you can now return to your hole.
    so, no?
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Jim O'Brien, if Pacers have not gotten Darren already, would press hard for Aaron Brooks and Mo Williams. Those two are perfect for what he wants, however JOB won't be here next year and we got our PG so none of this matters. If not re-signed, Jeff Green and Wilson Chandler would make nice additions.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto View Post
    so, no?
    Let me know when they change the name from All-Star to something else. Until then, you're nothing but a troll.

But I fully expect you to be around this year. Getting John Wall give you the confidence to come back and just talk trash?

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

No Javelle McGee will be that star

Banned

There is this guy in New Jersey people say he is a double double machine I think we should go after him

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    .....Larry Brown
    Absolutely, he's worth 10-15 more wins if you could get him back, imo.

The only player on the list worth getting is Jason Richardson. We need a drastic improvement at the SG position because rush and dun are simply not going to get the job done.

One brings the offense and the other brings the defense. The problem is we need both from one player. Let rush walk, sign dun for less money and try to sign Richardson to a 2 or 3 year deal.

It sucks that we have all this cash and no one to realistically go after. We are so close I can taste it. I just hope larry is patient with the money and does not do a impulse buy.

We need cash to resign hibbert. Hopefully josh can maintain his high level of play into the season. If he can do that we need a SG. I really wish we could use our exipirings to get the SG we want.

I can also see a deal around the trade deadline between the pacers and hawks to clear up cap room for horford.