Thread: This can't be healthy: Kings owners refusing Peja's request

Default This can't be healthy: Kings owners refusing Peja's request

for now. If he's adament about leaving, they can't keep this up forever methinks.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports...11337510c.html

Peja waits by phone, but the Maloofs aren't calling
    Stojakovic, his demands still firm, has plenty on plate after his son's birth.
    By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
    Published 2:15 am PDT Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Just 10 minutes into his new-found status as a daddy Tuesday, Peja Stojakovic was feeling the love for his son, Andrej, he no longer has for the Kings.

"It was the best experience of my life," Stojakovic said from Salonika, Greece. "I can see already how everything means nothing once you have a child."

Sportsstore
    Kings owner Joe Maloof said he was excited to learn that Stojakovic and his fiancée, Aleka Kamila, had their baby.

But on the subject of meeting Stojakovic's trade demand, Maloof said there was no change.

"We have no intentions of trading Peja," Maloof said Tuesday. "I just don't see us without Peja Stojakovic."

Stojakovic and his agent, David Bauman, say they haven't backed off their demand and would prefer it to be sooner than later.

Initially, though, Bauman hopes his client receives at least a telephone call from the Kings' ownership.

"They haven't talked with Peja, and I don't understand that," Bauman said Monday. "Peja called and left the number. He's getting really upset about that. I guess if he was (Tracy) McGrady or (Stephon) Marbury or (Chris) Webber, they would have called."

The Washington, D.C.-area based agent said he read in the Washington Post on Sunday about Gavin Maloof discussing hotel heiress Nicky Hilton and her stay at the family's Palms Hotel in Las Vegas.

"I guess they have more interest in things like that than talking to the star of their team," Bauman said.

Said Stojakovic: "I have been waiting for (the Maloofs) to call me back, but they haven't called. I don't know, I guess they are not taking me seriously.

"But I have not changed the way I've felt (about the trade) since the last time I talked to you."

Joe Maloof said Bauman's comment about his brother and Hilton did not deserve a response.

"I will say that, remember, Peja is under contract," Maloof said. "Gavin and I will talk to Peja when we think it's the right time. The guy is getting ready to have a baby. ... "

Maloof then was informed about Andrej's arrival.

"Well, that's the best news of the day," Maloof said.

"I know he was ticked off when he talked to Geoff (Petrie, the Kings' president of basketball operations), but sometimes it's better to let things calm down and people cool off.

"We're going to talk to him in the near future."

Bauman said the Maloofs will not know Stojakovic's true feelings until they talk to him.

"I keep reading that this is going to blow over," the agent said, "but until they talk to Peja, they are not going to know the real deal.

"I mean, we're talking about the owners of a team, hands-on owners, who haven't talked to their three-time All-Star. They don't want to trade him, but to really understand what is upsetting Peja, they need to talk to him."

Meanwhile, Stojakovic's outlook already has been adjusted.

"Eventually, Andrej was born through (Caesarean) section," the new father said. "But mentally I'm exhausted, so you know how (Aleka) is feeling."

Default Re: This can't be healthy: Kings owners refusing Peja's request

It's one thing not to meet your star players request by trading him, or atleast refusing to.

But to not even find out what the problem is, that's ridiculous. Absoultely.

Ovbiously there is a problem especially since Peja went public with this.

If I were a Kings fan i'd be very pissed off at the Maloofs right now for not doing there job and handling this situation. When there is a problem you have to go and fix it.

I would think the Kings fans would be pissed at them too, but I've mostly read people who are just dumping on Peja for not wanting to be a part of the team.

ImReppinBtown

I think the Kings should trade Peja for someone who could play better with Webber. Like a more athletic 2 guard.

On a side note, Andrej is a pretty cool name.
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

PacerMan, he is also one of his company's most important assets. All business pull preventive maintenance on their major assets.

Just because this asset is human does not make a difference.

A trade of Peja would be my last resort as well. In fact, I'd probably refuse to trade him, just like the Maloofs.

They certainly don't have to do anything to "fix" the problem. But the best thing the Maloofs could do is to show him the respect of TALKING to him and showing a little concerrn. That is not a promise to address his concerns, or even buckle to his supposed trade demand.

If I were the Maloofs, I would definitely point out that talking is a two-way street. That Peja could very easily have approached them to open a dialog instead of airing his "demands" in the press.

But one way or another, communication and a display of mutual respect is the key.

-----------

For my part, I was 50-50 about an Artest-Peja trade. Assuming Dampier has been traded to the Mavs, I would NOT support an Artest - Peja trade.

The trade would reduce our roster to only having O'Neal as capable of playing the post. And reduces our beef among the C-PF-SF positions without balancing it by adding beef to the C position.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    FINALLY an NBA player is treated LIKE EVERY OTHER EMPLOYEE IN THE WORLD and you think they're unfair??
    HE signed A CONTRACT!!!!!! Honor it or shut the **** up.(Peja)
    They owe him nothing.
    So Shaq shouldn't have been traded? TMac shouldn't have been traded? Al shouldn't have been traded?

These are unhappy players. Why would you want unhappy players on your team? Ovbiously someone is wrong and its ridiculous that the Maloofs are not doing there job and taking care of the problem. They don't even know what the problem is.

I'm not saying this, sticking up for Peja, because I want Artest traded for him. If Peja is traded to a diffrent team then great. [Yeah i'll be dissappointed just like when we didn't get TMac but not mad, not mad about keeping Artest.]

If Peja has tried to contact them then their statement that they are just letting things cool down (rather than ignoring Peja) is bogus. I can understand wanting to let things cool down but if Peja is trying to contact them, their not returning his call isn't letting things cool down, its ignoring him and escalating the issue.

Also, if you aren't going to talk to Peja about the situation then I wouldn't make public statements about it as well. Any statement to the public is an indirect statement to Peja as Peja is part of the public (which is exactly how Peja and his agent are using these public statements, the Maloofs constitute part of the public as well). So not calling Peja and then making public statements on the situation is just rubbing it in Peja's face that they aren't dealinging with him directly.

Regardless of whether they trade him or not, I don't think they are handling the handling of the situation very well.

Joel

I put this on his agent. Peja needs to do 3 things:

1. Enjoy fatherhood to it's fullest.
    2. Fire his agent.
    3. Shut his mouth and play ball.

Peja's not going to fire his agent if his agent is saying how he feels; which publically he's said more than once to be the case: He wants to be traded. I don't see any reason to fire your agent for supporting your case.

If I tell my agent that I want to be traded then my agent damn well ought to be doing anything and everything he can to see that I am traded. That is the agent's job (he represents the client).

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Peja will probably calm down and forget about ever asking for a trade.Well that is at least what the Maloofs hope and think.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

PacerStud

Well, the good news for Peja is that Mommy went C-section.

Cuts back on the wait .............. and seeing what she looks like ..................

Hmmm....Like I said earlier, the Maloofs and I think alike on this issue.

Think alike = ignore your star player?

Would you ignore J.O. this way? If so, I bet many are glad you aren't the Pacer GM.

Default I'm not an owner

Hicks, no. Not trading him is what we agree on.

Fool, like I just said, I wouldn't "ignore" him. I'd talk to Peja and tell him he's not going anywhere. As if I were GM of the Pacers and Jermaine wanted out, I would do what the Pacers did this year, letting him play a season to see how bad it really would be to stay.

As an owner, I'd talk to my players, not ignore them.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: I'm not an owner

Quote Originally Posted by MSA2CF
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As an owner, I'd talk to my players, not ignore them.
    And if Mark Jackson was one of your players, he'd have a lifetime contract.

* Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...