Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New officiating rule is ruining the game

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: New officiating rule is ruining the game

Quote Originally Posted by dohman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its not the refs responsibility to tell a player what he did wrong. The player should look at the game tape.

The refs job is to keep order on the court and call the fouls that are committed.

This is a professional league and the players need to understand that. This is not rec ball or street ball. This is the NBA and if a player is out of line then he deserves to be ejected.
    I could not disagree more.

The NBA officials, like most refs, are nto consistent.

It is very much there job to open up to players. How many times have we seen games get chippy and refs start to call EVERYTHING. There is nothing wrong with a guy asking why X is a foul and Y was not.

Hell, if it helps prevent him from not doing it again then why not take the extra .02 seconds to help a guy out. Also, sometimes the ref miss a call (shocking, I know )

A player can argue his point, and the ref should have the chance to explain why he does not agree.

So no, I think it is VERY MUCH the refs responsibility to have a dialogue with the players. If this is not the case, then why not just have robots calling the games?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    I could not disagree more.

The NBA officials, like most refs, are nto consistent.

It is very much there job to open up to players. How many times have we seen games get chippy and refs start to call EVERYTHING. There is nothing wrong with a guy asking why X is a foul and Y was not.

Hell, if it helps prevent him from not doing it again then why not take the extra .02 seconds to help a guy out. Also, sometimes the ref miss a call (shocking, I know )

A player can argue his point, and the ref should have the chance to explain why he does not agree.

So no, I think it is VERY MUCH the refs responsibility to have a dialogue with the players. If this is not the case, then why not just have robots calling the games?

I would love to see robots calling the game! I do agree refs miss calls. But players know what is a foul and what is not a foul. They have been playing the game their entire life. I sure hope they have it figured out by now. If they have to ask a ref why there were called for pushing or blocking then they need to study a rule book.

I watch the game and see to many players trying to intimidate refs and to many refs trying to be buddy buddy with players. Keep the talking out of it and play against the other team.

Actually, I have made posts saying I am OK with us getting a robot to call games. I am getting a bit tired of refs trying to become bigger then the game.

That is a thread for another day.

I get your point that the whining is out of hand, but a foul really does change from game to game.

That is the main reason why I am OK with dialogue, as long as it is respectful and a 2 way street

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    I don't know how strictly the officials will enforce the rule, but I do know that most rules of all kindws are stricter than they are enforced. Speed limit is a great example. When you get stopped for speeding, it is never because you were going one mile over the limit -- it is because you were going 15 or more over the limit. And this NBA rule will be the same. It says no demonstrations or arguments at all, but it will probably sort out to something reasonable and whenever a player get Td up, he'll be way over the expressed limit.
    A bad habit, but that's all true.

In my view, the problem with a lenient/reasonable approach is that eventually it'll end up in a redux of what happened a few years back when they tried this - at first, referees started calling technical fouls en masse. They thought that was unreasonable and quickly dialled back - and eventually went all the way back to the ante (and current) status quo. It brings too much uncertainty to the game. If players are going to chance their behaviour in order to whine/complain less, they need understandable and clear incentives.

That won't happen if you're going to allow referees to explain a call to a rookie but not to Jermaine O'Neal. It'll never work, because every ref will create his own standard of what constitutes a punishable offence. What we'll see is a player being able run the court moving his arms up and down one night and be ejected for the same offense in the following one. Zarba T-uped O'Neal last night, probably many other refs would just explain him why they made the call. This type of inconsistency only increase the amount of frustration amongst players, coaches and fans. And the way of solving it is going back to the current rules: "players can complain about calls with which they disagree, provided the reaction is not overly demonstrative, disrespectful, or prolonged". Which brings way too much whining and complaining to the game, in my opinion.

I'd love to see them trying to implant the rugby rules. Cut communication with the officials except with the captain/coach under certain circumstances. It works perfectly.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    If I wanted to pay to watch something whine, I'd have a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    A bad habit, but that's all true.

In my view, the problem with a lenient/reasonable approach is that eventually it'll end up in a redux of what happened a few years back when they tried this - at first, referees started calling technical fouls en masse. They thought that was unreasonable and quickly dialled back - and eventually went all the way back to the ante (and current) status quo. It brings too much uncertainty to the game. If players are going to chance their behaviour in order to whine/complain less, they need understandable and clear incentives.

That won't happen if you're going to allow referees to explain a call to a rookie but not to Jermaine O'Neal. It'll never work, because every ref will create his own standard of what constitutes a punishable offence. What we'll see is a player being able run the court moving his arms up and down one night and be ejected for the same offense in the following one. Zarba T-uped O'Neal last night, probably many other refs would just explain him why they made the call. This type of inconsistency only increase the amount of frustration amongst players, coaches and fans. And the way of solving it is going back to the current rules: "players can complain about calls with which they disagree, provided the reaction is not overly demonstrative, disrespectful, or prolonged". Which brings way too much whining and complaining to the game, in my opinion.

I'd love to see them trying to implant the rugby rules. Cut communication with the officials except with the captain/coach under certain circumstances. It works perfectly.
    I have been saying this for years (especially the last part)

I would love to see them give it a try.....work it out in pre season then once the season starts anyone but the captain addresses the ref its a T. The captain can take up all issues.....and the refs only have to deal with 2 players (and less coaches)

Undefeated

Not worried about it. There are players in the NBA who whine and ***** every time there is a call against them or every time they think they were fouled. Honestly, I'm sick of seeing it and will be glad to see players get T'd up. It always pissed me off to see players reacting and complaining and then start to get calls. Players will quickly stop once they see it's not helping them anymore, and the Pacer's players last year were, for the most part, good about not whinging to much.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They'll adapt.

Rule of the land.

Adapt or get tossed from the game.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Foster will lead the team in technicals per minute. That guy never ever fouls anybody. He has always argued like 90% of called against him.

Quote Originally Posted by dohman View Post
    I would love to see robots calling the game! I do agree refs miss calls. But players know what is a foul and what is not a foul. They have been playing the game their entire life. I sure hope they have it figured out by now. If they have to ask a ref why there were called for pushing or blocking then they need to study a rule book.

I watch the game and see to many players trying to intimidate refs and to many refs trying to be buddy buddy with players. Keep the talking out of it and play against the other team.
    I hope you never ref a game I coach, and i'm not joking. Batters and catchers in baseball ask the ump where strike or ball was when he called it, why can't a player ask what he did wrong, especially if one of the other refs didn't call it that way? Your saying they can't ask a simple question on interpretation? I've attended and watched thousands of games and in every one the players asked refs about calls in a calm reasonable way and got calm reasonable answers.

As others have stated, being consistent is the key. I like the example in the story questioning why Amare didn't get a T for his "and one" complaint. That is showing the refs up as much as a question asked that no one heard.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    Speed limit is a great example. When you get stopped for speeding, it is never because you were going one mile over the limit -- it is because you were going 15 or more over the limit.
    I knew somebody who got a ticket for going one mile over the limit on Christmas Day.

/digression
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I've seen about 12-15 preseason games so far, and I must say I've really enjoyed the decrease in player interactions with the refs.

For the most part, the shenanigans are gone. I'm glad this rule was implemented. It's a better long-term play. Nobody wants to pay big money to watch star players get ejected, but the real problem is the spoiled millionaire reputation. Nobody wants to see a millionaire whine and complain all the time, and it's those attitudes that are preventing non-fans from becoming fans.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    I hope you never ref a game I coach, and i'm not joking. Batters and catchers in baseball ask the ump where strike or ball was when he called it, why can't a player ask what he did wrong, especially if one of the other refs didn't call it that way? Your saying they can't ask a simple question on interpretation? I've attended and watched thousands of games and in every one the players asked refs about calls in a calm reasonable way and got calm reasonable answers.

As others have stated, being consistent is the key. I like the example in the story questioning why Amare didn't get a T for his "and one" complaint. That is showing the refs up as much as a question asked that no one heard.

I have no problem telling a kid what is going on or to knock it off. But these are grown men. Usually when they asked what they did its in a condescending way and they know what they did wrong.

Usually when people make statements like that they have no idea what they are talking about, are making unsubstantiated assumptions, and are then trying to pass them off as fact.