Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10/13/10 pre-season thoughts about Twolves game...

Default 10/13/10 pre-season thoughts about Twolves game...

I don’t have time tonight to get up more detailed thoughts so I’m throwing out the bullet points. Chicago J would be so proud of me for not using 3,000 words.

The Good

• Danny Granger mixed up the old arsenal and in the process drew a lot of fouls
    • There was and has been all pre-season a concerted effort to get Roy the ball
    • Mike Dunleavy has decided to become a scrapper and hustler on defense
    • Darren Collison can get his shot off against anybody
    • Josh provided tough interior play and more than held his own vs. Kevin Love
    • Paul George finally found the basket
    • Paul did not hit all of his shots but he followed his misses & made things happen
    • Roy was a defensive presence
    • Our starters looked very good
    • Our defense was actually very good

The Bad

• Our offense is ugly
    • Only Foster & Tyler actually set proper picks on our team
    • Tyler was useless (other than a couple of picks)
    • Mike does not have to replace Brandon as the least amount of shots per game
    • We settled for playing around the horn & didn’t probe the interior enough
    • Darren’s passing seemed off
    • Josh couldn’t find an offensive rhythm
    • Our free throw shooting was God awful
    • Our shot selection left a lot to be desired
    • The Bench was less than useless

The Ugly

• Michael Beasley

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 10/13/10 pre-season thoughts about Twolves game...

The Ugly

Now that's a nice touch to well thought out post.

Great rebounding numbers from Danny, Josh, Roy. Our only option to be good enough on the glass if from team-wide contribution. Don't know how consistent this showing can be, but it's what's needed.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

To add to the ugly: James Posey's quickness (lack thereof)

More good: and Josh makes our team play at a higher level when he is on the floor.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To add to the ugly: James Posey's quickness (lack thereof)

More good: and Josh makes our team play at a higher level when he is on the floor.
    Posey looks exactly what he is. Old. Heavy. Slow.

Agreed about Josh. He is the best passer on this team, and you can forget the whole "for a big guy" thing. He is the best passer on this team, bar none. He plays with enthusiasm, hustle, and athleticism that has been missing from that position for what seems like a decade. It's good to see.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Agreed. Agreed. Agreed.

The one thing about Posey though is that he is patient in the offense and he knows how to properly milk the clock for the betterment (sp?) of the team. As long as he's playing SF, he should be a decent backup.

I'd still rather just give the minutes to George or Rush.

How were the pee game dunks?
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

You have to figure JOB told those guys to rebound better (even the guards had good numbers). If so, well done.

I agree, Peck, their is too much dancing around the perimeter. But, yes, they are trying to get it into Roy, which is good. I'd like to see more attempts to get it into Roy at the low post, and then have him flash up to the high post if that doesn't work.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Can the Pacers schedule the T-Wolves for 82 games!?!?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    How were the pee game dunks?
    I think you're missing an "R" there somewhere. Problem is I don't know if it should be in "pee" or "dunks".
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

You forgot one more Ugly....Paul George tipping it in on our own basket.

So...

Why didn't Brandon Rush play at all?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I thought our offense was very good at times tonight. They showed flashes of who they can be. One play in particular was when PG passed to DC who made an excellent assist to DG for 3.

After watching these 4 preseason games:

If Danny, Josh, and Roy can rebound like they did tonight

If Roy gets as many touches as he did tonight

If we can get good bench production

If we can show up in the 3rd quarter

If we play D

We will be a 6 seed at least in the East. Problem is, they have to bring it every game of the year.
    Passion, Pride, Playoffs, Pacers

My one concern so far, and yes I know it is preseason, actually involves Roy Hibbert. His shooting is subpar, just flat out no other way to say it. I don't know what's going on with him, but after all the reports of guys saying how they never see Roy miss a hook shot in practice and all that stuff, he's struggled to score in the post so far. I have hopes he can turn it around, but right now he's having to float to the high post or even farther out to find shots that he can hit consistently. Hopefully, if we keep getting him touches, he will work his way through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    I think you're missing an "R" there somewhere. Problem is I don't know if it should be in "pee" or "dunks".
    You clearly don't follow El Peckbo on twitter......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    My one concern so far, and yes I know it is preseason, actually involves Roy Hibbert. His shooting is subpar, just flat out no other way to say it. I don't know what's going on with him, but after all the reports of guys saying how they never see Roy miss a hook shot in practice and all that stuff, he's struggled to score in the post so far. I have hopes he can turn it around, but right now he's having to float to the high post or even farther out to find shots that he can hit consistently. Hopefully, if we keep getting him touches, he will work his way through it.

Double teams were coming at him like crazy last night. I think he was 8 for 10 on free throws which is amazing for a big man. He made a ton of great passers to cutters and on one instance from the high post put the ball on the floor and took 2 MONSTER steps to get to the hoop for a layup. Something I have always wanted our PF to do from the high post on the top screen.

I was at the game last night and one things I noticed is Paul George really stands out when he's on the court. It seems like he's always doing something and athletically he just glides up and down the court. His potential is really exciting

Quote Originally Posted by PacersAllDay View Post
    I was at the game last night and one things I noticed is Paul George really stands out when he's on the court. It seems like he's always doing something and athletically he just glides up and down the court. His potential is really exciting
    Not to mention he is always so happy and smiling. He looks like a little kid living his dream out there.

Quote Originally Posted by dohman View Post
    Not to mention he is always so happy and smiling. He looks like a little kid living his dream out there.
    It's nice to have a 20 year old on the team who looks like he "deserves" to be out there. Smoothness, is what always crosses my mind when I see him play.

Edit, also I give Roy tons of credit for helping him with the transition. Roy's value extends beyond the court, big time, imo.
    Last edited by Speed; 10-14-2010 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    So...

Why didn't Brandon Rush play at all?
    I don't know, I didn't see the game nor did I hear or read anything about why Rush dodn't play at all. But maybe George is a better player right now. Like I said I don't know,

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I don't know, I didn't see the game nor did I hear or read anything about why Rush dodn't play at all. But maybe George is a better player right now. Like I said I don't know,
    I think everyone touched the court but rush. I think JOB is gearing up for the first game and rush is not part of that plan right now.

Looks to me like a team punishment type of thing.

Mood

The offseason work, if anything, has definitely helped Roy improve his speed getting up and down the court.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

One of the biggest things I noticed is a significant difference in how the front court reacts after a shot.

In previous years, on offense nearly as soon as a shot was launched, especially from the perimeter, 4 of 5 guys were on their way back on defense, leaving a token guy to disrupt a rebound or opposition player bringing the ball up court.

This year I saw any number of plays where we actually had three guys getting into position to crash the boards while an outside shot was being taken, and definitely saw multiple guys in the mix on an inside shot.

On defense, I saw many times where we had two or three guys crashing the boards and at least one guy roving just outside the crush, in position to get the ball on a deflection.

Both of those are clear and complete changes not just from last year but, frankly, from the way this team has worked the boards for the last decade or more.

I will be watching carefully to see if this continues.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

29. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

I was at the game UB, so I was hoping there was some explanation during the broadcast.

Even if George is better, Posey played most of his minutes at the 3 last night which is something I think Brandon can do just fine. And I would prefer Rush play over Posey.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I heard they were going with the rotation players and also probably cause of his suspension. Here is an interesting article that might help.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/web_101013.html

Ten things you need to know about the Pacers' 98-86 victory over the Timberwolves on Wednesday at Conseco Fieldhouse. …

- After using developmental substitution patterns in the first three games, Coach Jim O'Brien went to a more standard look and the results were impressive. Danny Granger scored 30 with 11 rebounds and four assists. Darren Collison scored 19 with three assists. Roy Hibbert had 16 points, 14 rebounds, seven blocks and four assists. Josh McRoberts had eight points and 11 boards but five turnovers.

- After using the five-in, five-out substitution pattern of the first three games, employed so that young players could receive enough playing time for reasonable evaluation, the transition began toward standardizing the rotations. "We've been playing kind of equal opportunity to give a chance for the young guys to get in there and mix it up," he said. "More of a normal rotation tonight, not completely, but once we play Friday night (against New Orleans in Conseco Fieldhouse) we'll be into our eight-to-10 man rotation."

- The defensive numbers looked good – Minnesota shot .319 overall and totaled just 34 points on 12-of-43 (.279) shooting in the second half – but did not impress the coach. "We are so far away from being a halfway decent defensive team," said O'Brien. "We're setting ourselves up for disappointment if we don't defend at a better level than we did tonight."

- Paul George may have busted his preseason slump. He scored 10 off the bench with six rebounds in 24 minutes. He was 3-of-21 in the first three games, totaling seven points in 65 minutes. "I am getting a little more adjusted," he said. "It is as hard as I thought it would be."

- Playing the second of a back-to-back, the T-Wolves led 52-47 at the half but were outscored 25-13 in the third quarter and that was that. As a result, the previously winless Pacers improved to 1-3 and the previously undefeated T-Wolves dropped to 3-1. As if that matters.

- O'Brien would like to use a 10-man rotation during the regular season but it could depend on the tempo the Pacers establish. "It might depend on the tempo that we have established in a game but I would like to have confidence in 10 people," he said. "Whether we use all 10 every night is another issue but I would like to have 10 guys that would be ready to go and play every game."

- My best guess on those 10: starters Darren Collison, Mike Dunleavy, Danny Granger, Josh McRoberts and Roy Hibbert; backups A.J. Price, James Posey, Paul George, Tyler Hansbrough and Jeff Foster.

- Beyond the top six, there wasn't much in the way of productivity for the Pacers (no one else scored more two), leaving O'Brien particularly concerned about his depth up front, which he said was "alarmingly thin."

- O'Brien will not donate playing time to younger players for the sake of their development. "I want to develop the young guys but I'm not developing anybody to the point that it might cost us a game," he said. " … We can talk about rebuilding all we want. My job is to win basketball games and develop talent. But the top priority is to win basketball games."

- Brandon Rush has put himself in a real bind with the season-opening five-game suspension. If the guys playing ahead of him in the interim (namely Dunleavy and George) perform well, he may face a fight for playing time when he returns. "There are two issues," said O'Brien. "There would be the issue of where he would be in the rotation if he wasn't suspended. That is an issue separate from the suspension. He has to earn a rotation spot, number one. Number two, clearly he can't be in it the first five games so I'm thinking in terms of obviously other people. And depending on how the other people do in the first five games, we'll see how he fits back in."