Thread: Star: A lot to learn for George

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Star: A lot to learn for George

Mike Wells

Indystar.com

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...ring-preseason

Indiana Pacers rookie Paul George has had a lot of things thrown at him during his first NBA training camp.

Learning how to move without the ball on offense. Filling the lane on the fast break. Having active hands and knowing how to help on defense.

George, the No. 10 pick in this year's draft, has handled all those challenges so far.

Then there is his shooting.

The former Fresno State standout is 3-of-21 from the field in the preseason, 1-of-7 on 3-pointers.

George will try to improve on those numbers tonight when the Pacers take on the Minnesota Timberwolves at Conseco Fieldhouse.

"Things are going pretty well except my shot," said George, who hit 45 percent from the field in his two college seasons. "I don't normally get off to slow starts like that. I was always good at finding my groove early. It's been a hard time for me."

The Pacers aren't overly concerned.

Coach Jim O'Brien said George is taking shots within the system, but George is having to soak in as much information as he can, affecting his focus while shooting.

"When your mind is occupied with where you're supposed to be prior to getting the ball, how to set your man up for a screen down, it can be a little overwhelming," O'Brien said. "There's so much going on in his mind that it prevents him from playing in a natural flow. When you're not playing with a natural flow, you're not going to shoot the basketball as well as you normally would.

"There's no way to shortcut things for rookies when it comes to processing things offensively and defensively. Their mind is elsewhere when they're shooting the ball."

George has not disappointed in other facets of his game.

He's active defensively, often making it difficult for the offensive player to get a clean look to pass the ball into the post. George also has good defensive instincts. He aggressively gets into the passing lane to try for a steal or to deny his man the ball.

The coaches appreciate having to offer instructions just once.

"There are so many things you can do in college that don't work in the NBA," George said. "I'm just trying to adjust to that, as well as adjust to the different coaching schemes and getting ready to go up against the best players every night."

O'Brien said he thinks George would play in a potential 10-player rotation this season.

"He's got a chance to be really special," Pacers swingman Mike Dunleavy said. "I've been around a lot of draft picks between the 8-13 range in my career. He has the tools and skill set to get it done. It's a matter of how quick he can pick up on things and get used to playing at this level. He's got it all."

Dunleavy, who will be pushed by George for playing time on the wing, has taken a big-brother role with the rookie. Dunleavy is adept at explaining how to get open shots in O'Brien's offensive system.

"I do say a lot to him," Dunleavy said. "He'll ask me a lot of questions. I know he has a million things coming at him from the coaching staff, but I still tell him things that will hopefully stick with him."
    I like this by Dunleavy.
    Last edited by focused444; 10-13-2010 at 08:05 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to focused444 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Star: A lot to learn for George

This is a positive story, both as regards George himself and as regards Dunleavy's willingness to mentor him. But I do have this question:

Learning how to move without the ball on offense. Filling the lane on the fast break. Having active hands and knowing how to help on defense.

How much of that should an NBA rookie still need to learn? I understand that there's a lot that needs to be customized to a new coach. It doesn't surprise me that the "moving without the ball" part is different here than elsewhere. But the other things listed above seem like fundamentals.

Oftentimes, people will say college ball is more fundamental, while the NBA entertains by sheer talent. But here we have a college standout who needs to learn the fundamentals in order to make it in the NBA. What gives?
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How much of that should an NBA rookie still need to learn? I understand that there's a lot that needs to be customized to a new coach. It doesn't surprise me that the "moving without the ball" part is different here than elsewhere. But the other things listed above seem like fundamentals.

Oftentimes, people will say college ball is more fundamental, while the NBA entertains by sheer talent. But here we have a college standout who needs to learn the fundamentals in order to make it in the NBA. What gives?
    It's just an article, man. We saw George "having active hands and knowing when to help on defense" in summer league and in all of the camp videos. He already had those skills, although he's certainly improving on them. Also in SL, we saw him fill the lane on a fast break.

The only skill I've not already seen is his ability to move without the ball on offense, which is something that rookies often have a hard time with (because they've often been the best player on their team for their entire lives).

The fact that he's learning more about those things doesn't mean that he didn't already have a lot of that when he got here.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's just an article, man. We saw George "having active hands and knowing when to help on defense" in summer league and in all of the camp videos. He already had those skills, although he's certainly improving on them. Also in SL, we saw him fill the lane on a fast break.

The only skill I've not already seen is his ability to move without the ball on offense, which is something that rookies often have a hard time with (because they've often been the best player on their team for their entire lives).

The fact that he's learning more about those things doesn't mean that he didn't already have a lot of that when he got here.
    Paul was the best player at freson by a long shot. So it will take time for him to get use to not having the ball in his hands.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post: