Thread: Hansbrough update

Default Hansbrough update

First a couple of tweets from Mike Wells today.

http://twitter.com/MikeWellsNBA/status/27170718093

Tyler Hansbrough got full clearance today after visiting a doctor in Pittsburgh for a follow up appointment.

then

http://twitter.com/MikeWellsNBA/status/27170772295

The appointment had been schedule for awhile. The doctor wanted him to come back for a check up after he played a couple of preseason game.

Then this article, there more there on other matters and a blurb on Roy, but I found this interesting and some of it new news to me.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/feature...s=iref:nbahpt1

Posted Oct 12 2010 9:15AM

By David Aldridge

Pacers happy Hansbrough ready to go

After missing nine months with a combination of maladies -- a concussion, followed by an infection that brought on a case of vertigo -- Tyler Hansbrough was finally back on the court Friday night for the Pacers, finishing with nine points in 19 minutes against Orlando. Indiana's 2009 first-round pick appeared in just 29 games last season before going down, and the Pacers have been very cautious in clearing him for increased activities during camp.

"Our doctors have told us to be real careful with it, and make sure that every day is a good day," Pacers general manager David Morway said. "Make sure he feels comfortable with it."

Hansbrough was supposed to be a big part of the rebuild that team president Larry Bird has been doing for the past few years. He loved Hansbrough's ability and toughness, and didn't hesitate to take him 13th overall in the Draft over the plethora of point guards -- Jrue Holiday, Eric Maynor, Jeff Teague and Darren Collison -- that the Pacers, desperately looking to replace T.J. Ford, could have taken. (Indiana wound up getting Collison this summer, along with veteran forward James Posey, in a trade with New Orleans.) But Hansbrough suffered a shin injury in camp last year and never got untracked.

Morway said Hansbrough isn't suffering any lingering effects from the concussion, suffered in December of last season. Coach Jim O'Brien had thought last year that Hansbrough may have been suffering from Post-Concussion Syndrome, after the vertigo showed no signs of abating. For weeks, Hansbrough continued having dizzy spells, problems with lights, bad headaches and nausea. But those symptoms have dissipated.

Concussions and their effects have become a big issue in all sports, and Hansbrough suffered a couple of concussions while he was an All-American at North Carolina. But the Pacers' doctors were more concerned with the infection that they believe led to the vertigo. Hansbrough has been OK the last few weeks, though, and Indiana would love to have him back on the court to take over at power forward, which is currently being manned by Josh McRoberts after the Pacers dealt Troy Murphy to the Nets in the offseason.

Last season, opposing teams shot seven more free throws per game than the Pacers, and they've been getting bludgeoned on the glass during the preseason, with Dwight Howard doing damage last week. Indiana hopes a healthy 6-foot-9 Hansbrough will help make up some of that difference.

"The doctors think he's over it," Morway said, "Everything's gone away ... he's gotten a couple of hits to the head (during practice) and been OK. We're just being extra, extra careful. We want to make sure he's ready for the start of the regular season"

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Hansbrough update

All right, it's time to stop getting my hopes higher and higher. Cut it out.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

We might just have our PF of the future. I like Tyler's game, hard nosed, banger.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

More info than we've ever been given, really. Seems to be that the concussion didn't cause the symptoms, it was simply bad timing with the infection and possibly intensified his situation though.

I hope he can show us why he was picked so high.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hansbrough has been OK the last few weeks, though, and Indiana would love to have him back on the court to take over at power forward, which is currently being manned by Josh McRoberts after the Pacers dealt Troy Murphy to the Nets in the offseason.

Really? That seems a little different than what we've heard from other sources regarding the competition at PF. This makes it sound like Josh is just keeping the sport warm for Tyler - I thought Josh had been playing so well he deserved to get a chance to start (was it JOB that said that recently)?
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

[/B]Really? That seems a little different than what we've heard from other sources regarding the competition at PF. This makes it sound like Josh is just keeping the sport warm for Tyler - I thought Josh had been playing so well he deserved to get a chance to start (was it JOB that said that recently)?
    Don't read too much into it. That's simply the writer's interpretation.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozwalt72 For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    [B]Really? That seems a little different than what we've heard from other sources regarding the competition at PF. This makes it sound like Josh is just keeping the sport warm for Tyler - I thought Josh had been playing so well he deserved to get a chance to start (was it JOB that said that recently)?
    Photobucket
    It's only coachspeak!

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

That's really great to hear. I'm happy for the kid.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Imagine a faster Jeff Foster in his prime with better offense than Murphy. I expect this from him. PF of the future. Please stay healthy Tyler...

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I expect the McBob vs. Psycho T starting power forward battle to end like the McBob vs. Psycho T NCAA battles--with the intense Hansbrough standing victorious, and the sensitive McRoberts bawling into a towel on the bench.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    I expect the McBob vs. Psycho T starting power forward battle to end like the McBob vs. Psycho T NCAA battles--with the intense Hansbrough standing victorious, and the sensitive McRoberts bawling into a towel on the bench.
    Yep, and just like Adam Morrison showed us, college results ALWAYS translate to the NBA.

Not a knock on Tyler, I think at the end of the day Josh and Tyler will have close to a similar role when fully developed... borderline starter but more likely a nice backup. However, Josh fits better next to Roy and always will.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    What?

In your perfect world you would have one player fail miserably, which is not going to happen, and one standing tall as if its a boxing match?

It's not really as close as guys think it is. Josh's game is coming around in a way NO ONE expected it to. And at 23 years old, he's got a good three years to get even better.

Tyler's an awesome player, but even with his intensity and awesomeness, he has too many fundamental and physical limitations to be starting on this team. He has a shaky mid range shot and just bull rushes into the rim every time expecting a call.

I'm not even defending Josh, I'm just pointing out what is going on. Hansbrough is my favorite player besides Roy, Danny, and DC, but I'm not going to wear my Hansbrough glasses and throw the competition aside. Antonio Davis was one of my favorite Pacers, but I knew that he wasn't going to start because his role was a bench guy.