Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Results 251 to 269 of 269

Thread: So What Are Your Expectations For The Pacers?

  1. #251
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,300

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So What Are Your Expectations For The Pacers?

    People take this site way too seriously.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  2. #252
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,324

    Default Re: So What Are Your Expectations For The Pacers?

    I always believe passionately when I am right, and would love to engage in rational discourse and banter as long as others read each others posts and try to minimize misrepresentation- inherently I have been very impressed with BillS' attempts to have civil discourse and to really cut away from the rhetoric and move towards discussions of opinions with concrete reasons, facts, and accurate statements of other people's positions- it gets rid of the mindless Jim bashing and generalizing, sweeping statements and more towards the specifics.

    When it comes to my views on Jim and the actions he does, I am very passionate in my belief that Jim is a good coach, that he has done the best he could had done with the team in at least two out of the past three seasons, and that he is generally a pretty good coach who does things his way- regardless of fan opinion or what not.

    I think when it comes down to passion, passion comes down to a very strong feeling, a deeply held belief, and that it is something that is very important to said person.

    I think we are all pretty passionate about the Pacers- why else would we come here to post about the Pacers and spend so much time thinking and talking about the Pacers.

    Antagization is intended to directly hurt or insult or make unfriendly towards another. I think this happens a lot when passions initally collide and offends people. At a point there needs to be some steam blown off- especially when two people passionately believe in different things.

    For instance, I know that BlueNGold, 90'sNBARocked and vnzla are people who passionately believe the opposite of what I believe in with regards to Jim. We've come to blows before but it's generally understood that we will probably never agree about Jim O'Brien. But at the very least, we try to keep it good natured- but we still try to convince others about it and still argue about it.

    Antagization happens when certain things go wrong- either misrepresentation occurs, or it turns personal, or something of that nature- and then I think passion turns into antagization- how dare someone say something about that- how can they believe that, are they insulting me or mocking me- I can't believe they say that.

    I don't really know where I am going with this, but to me that's the difference between passionate debates (like some of the ones I've had with 90's or Since in the Jim O'Brien believes in his defense system thread) between antagization (Since and I in the p4e thread, or the latter half of this one).

    I think if we don't take things so seriously or personally things would be better!

  3. #253

    Default Re: So What Are Your Expectations For The Pacers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Move to today, I don't think the current team would get the maximum benefit from lets say JVG (not to even wonder if he would take the job now) but in two years, or maybe next summer if the younger players come along and if they turn the expiring contract into something, not only might the team be ready for a JVG but he might be willing to come here.

    If you hire an unproven assistant now how is that much better than JOB. Why not keep JOB until the time the team is ready to take off and then go get a top level coach.

    Obviously there is a lot of gray area and theory involved in what I am suggesting. And I know the obvious reply is why not get the best coach regardless of the situation - sure in theory but that isn't realistic especially for a team in Indiana
    I appreciate you explanation and I understand that in by waiting we could land a better coach in the future.

    I guess I have a hard time believing that there is such a huge drop off in the quality of coaching when going from a assistant to a head coach.

    I mean every head coach in the NBA was an assistant right? I think everyone including Bird has a fear that it wouldn't work out but thats why you snag an assistant coach from a winning ball club.

  4. #254
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So What Are Your Expectations For The Pacers?

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who in the Hell is Mike Van Gundy?
    lol im sry jeff* lol i was gonna put mike brown and van gundy and decided on van gundy so they were both on my mined.

  5. #255

    Default Re: So What Are Your Expectations For The Pacers?

    Quote Originally Posted by flox View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think if we don't take things so seriously or personally things would be better!
    How about we display our passion in a reasonable way that doesn't antagonize others. I think this is what Hicks is getting at.

    We don't have to accept another persons opinion but we do have to respect there right to have an opinion on a public forum.

    Edit:
    By the way I am guilty of crossing the line

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:


  7. #256
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,324

    Default Re: So What Are Your Expectations For The Pacers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How about we display our passion in a reasonable way that doesn't antagonize others. I think this is what Hicks is getting at.

    We don't have to accept another persons opinion but we do have to respect there right to have an opinion on a public forum.

    Edit:
    By the way I am guilty of crossing the line
    I think that is very reasonable as well.

  8. #257
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,612

    Default Re: So What Are Your Expectations For The Pacers?

    I wish we were at a table and could raise up a nice shot and toast to it
    Sittin on top of the world!

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:


  10. #258
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,779

    Default Re: So What Are Your Expectations For The Pacers?

    I think most of the time trouble starts when a posterr gets personal with another poster - if you keep the discussion on the topic, things usually are just fine, but as soon as someone in effect disses "your momma" things get off track.

    I know that I will never convince any of you to change your opinion about Jim O'Brien, so I typically try to make the discussions about the "Pacers coach" less aboput Jim and more about the position and from there discuss not the coach himself but the job of being the coach. (for example - i tried to make the thread about winning vs developing the young players more about that concept and less about Jim O'Brien)

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  12. #259
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So What Are Your Expectations For The Pacers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    I mean every head coach in the NBA was an assistant right? I think everyone including Bird has a fear that it wouldn't work out but thats why you snag an assistant coach from a winning ball club.
    Well, shoot. Wasn't hiring Bird in as coach viewed more as a publicity stunt more than anything in the early stages? Luckily it all worked out in the end.

    EDIT: My theory could be incorrect, but valid none-the-less. Larry was apparently a consultant to the team after his playing career ended. I'm sure a lot of you knew that, though. I was too young at the time to pay attention to things in the front office.
    Last edited by duke dynamite; 10-15-2010 at 09:33 AM.

  13. #260
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,612

    Default Re: So What Are Your Expectations For The Pacers?

    disses "your momma" things get off track.


    Buck I am only joking but I got to ask

    Have you ever "dissed someones mama"?

    Sittin on top of the world!

  14. #261
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,779

    Default Re: So What Are Your Expectations For The Pacers?

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Buck I am only joking but I got to ask

    Have you ever "dissed someones mama"?

    LOL. No don't believe I ever have

  15. #262
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,612

    Default Re: So What Are Your Expectations For The Pacers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LOL. No don't believe I ever have
    I didnt think that was your type of venacular
    Sittin on top of the world!

  16. #263
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,119

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So What Are Your Expectations For The Pacers?

    I don't know about flox, but I'm not, nor ever was upset. It's just my nature. Kids below me in HS hated my guts because of sports. I'm the type that can get in an argument, or get frustrated about a situation, and then 5 mins later sit down and have lunch with that person.

    I get in arguments with my friends almost every single week, and even during the argument we will buy each other beers.

    I think it's a lack of really knowing each other's personalities. I don't disagree with flox, I disagree with his opinion. And it stops there with me. But I understand some people don't have that ability, and it's gotten me in trouble in the past.

    I think as long as it stays out of the personal realm, all is good.

  17. #264
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,612

    Default Re: So What Are Your Expectations For The Pacers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know about flox, but I'm not, nor ever was upset. It's just my nature. Kids below me in HS hated my guts because of sports. I'm the type that can get in an argument, or get frustrated about a situation, and then 5 mins later sit down and have lunch with that person.

    I get in arguments with my friends almost every single week, and even during the argument we will buy each other beers.

    I think it's a lack of really knowing each other's personalities. I don't disagree with flox, I disagree with his opinion. And it stops there with me. But I understand some people don't have that ability, and it's gotten me in trouble in the past.

    I think as long as it stays out of the personal realm, all is good.
    I think it boils down to the main reason I hate to communicate by email in the workplace. You can not judge tonality and dont know if the person is mad, being funny, serious or what there overal tone would be if the conversation was in person

    I have never been to a forum party, whcih I can only assume has discussion on the Pacers, and I bet there has never been an argument that led to people being seperated
    Sittin on top of the world!

  18. #265
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: So What Are Your Expectations For The Pacers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know about flox, but I'm not, nor ever was upset. It's just my nature.
    That's great that you weren't upset, but that's not really the point or the bottom line. You may not be upset, but that style can easily make people upset, and understandably so.

    Whether or not it works some of the time for some people, that's just not good enough. It doesn't have to be that way, there are clearly more friendly methods that still get messages communicated just as effectively, only they don't leave the door open for chippiness or otherwise needless (and unwanted) aggression between posters.

  19. #266
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,119

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So What Are Your Expectations For The Pacers?

    And how do we avoid that situation? I didn't resort to calling him names, I didn't get "chippy" other than the fact that the argument was going around in circles.

    The only way to avoid those situations are to not debate points, and if that happens, then there is no reason for the board.

    Sorry, but you can't control every single portion of argument on the board, and if you try it will end up back firing. It's the nature of the beast.

    Me and Bill have been debating the same points in different threads going on all summer, and yet there is no problem with it?

    I'm not trying to tell you how to run your board, but there is no way you can cut out everything you're uncomfortable with, because it might lead to more. Have your starndards and rules about keeping things civil/polite and when they move past that point, shut it down.

    We're not all going to join hands and sing kumbaya. There's no fun in that.

  20. #267
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,612

    Default Re: So What Are Your Expectations For The Pacers?

    That's great that you weren't upset, but that's not really the point or the bottom line. You may not be upset, but that style can easily make people upset, and understandably so.
    Excellent point
    Sittin on top of the world!

  21. #268
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,612

    Default Re: So What Are Your Expectations For The Pacers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And how do we avoid that situation? I didn't resort to calling him names, I didn't get "chippy" other than the fact that the argument was going around in circles.

    The only way to avoid those situations are to not debate points, and if that happens, then there is no reason for the board.

    Sorry, but you can't control every single portion of argument on the board, and if you try it will end up back firing. It's the nature of the beast.

    Me and Bill have been debating the same points in different threads going on all summer, and yet there is no problem with it?

    I'm not trying to tell you how to run your board, but there is no way you can cut out everything you're uncomfortable with, because it might lead to more. Have your starndards and rules about keeping things civil/polite and when they move past that point, shut it down.

    We're not all going to join hands and sing kumbaya. There's no fun in that.
    I think if we all rapped to kumbaya that would be fun.

    Kemo, you wanna set it off man
    Sittin on top of the world!

  22. #269
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: So What Are Your Expectations For The Pacers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And how do we avoid that situation? I didn't resort to calling him names, I didn't get "chippy" other than the fact that the argument was going around in circles.

    The only way to avoid those situations are to not debate points, and if that happens, then there is no reason for the board.

    Sorry, but you can't control every single portion of argument on the board, and if you try it will end up back firing. It's the nature of the beast.
    Stop right here. This is not accurate. Maybe I'm incapable of articulating what I'm seeing, and hopefully someone else can do it better than me, but no, this isn't right, and this isn't about arguing points. At all.

Similar Threads

  1. STAR: Pacers reach deal with city? (link)
    By Reggie4Three in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 07-18-2010, 10:11 PM
  2. How the Pacers can convince Carmelo
    By Pacersalltheway10 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 07-17-2010, 10:29 PM
  3. Pacers Looking To Trade
    By 90'sNBARocked in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-19-2010, 11:59 PM
  4. Pacers-Celtics Matchups (IndyStar)
    By ChicagoJ in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-28-2010, 09:36 AM
  5. Pacers History 1993-1994 Season
    By Sollozzo in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 03:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •