Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 73

Thread: Hibbert Could Be Elite Center

  1. #1
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,610

    Default Hibbert Could Be Elite Center

    http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=17571
    By: Joel Brigham


    Yes, the Indiana Pacers are going to be a better team this year, but there's a whole lot more behind that than just the offseason acquisition of point guard Darren Collison. Actually, there's about seven feet and two inches more behind it, and those 86 inches are named Roy Hibbert.

    A third-year center out of Georgetown, Hibbert could very well be among the players up for Most Improved Player this season, especially as he prepares to take on full-time starting center duties for the first time in his career. Considering how well he played in only 25mpg in 2009-2010, one can only assume that with 35+mpg, he'll be even better.

    "He showed tremendous dedication to our franchise and to his own game, and as a result his playing time is going to increase from 25 minutes to 35," said Pacers head coach Jim O'Brien. "We'll run a lot of our offense through him because he's such a good passer, face up shooter, and effective against many opponents in the low post."

    With the absence of big man Troy Murphy, who rebounded well but spread the floor on offense with his shooting range, O'Brien is looking to run a more traditional half-court set where Hibbert is the focal point. Collison and Danny Granger and everyone else on the roster all will depend on what Hibbert does in the post for a successful offense.

    To fine tune his moves, Hibbert worked with Bill Walton, one of the league's all-time most unstoppable post scorers.

    "We worked on some stuff," Hibbert said about his time with Walton. "How to be a big man, have a good presence on and off the court. He showed me some good things. He's a winner and a champion, so I was trying to be a sponge and absorb up all I can."

    It won't just be his offense that makes Hibbert so valuable this season, however. He was originally drafted for his defense, and that's where Indiana is looking for the biggest improvement this season.

    "Defense is always key for us," Hibbert admitted. "Offense will take care of itself, but defensively we have lapses. We'll be good for three or four plays in a row then we have five, six or seven possessions when we break down and the more experienced teams take advantage of us.

    Hibbert, in his very limited minutes last season, still averaged 1.6 blocks and 5.7 rebounds per night. With increased minutes, he could easily be a double-double guy swatting away over two blocks a game. That's what Indiana needs him to be, and that's why they're making such a big deal about his role for this franchise moving forward.

    "I just want to improve every year," he said. "I want to get my rebounding numbers up, be a leader on the court more than anything."

    If those goals are attained, there's a chance that Indy could actually sneak back into the bottom of the Eastern Conference playoff picture. That, at least, is what Hibbert and the rest of his teammates are setting as a realistic goal for themselves this season.

    "We're shooting for those last couple spots, and I think we can do it," Hibbert said. "We have to win. Our backs are against the wall, and we have to scrap."

    All that scrapping will definitely make the Pacers a better team in 2011, but it'll be the improvement of Hibbert—as well as the rejuvenation of Granger and the addition of Collison—that will get Indy into the playoffs next spring.

    Funny how the largest of reasons for resurgence in Indianapolis is the one most easily overlooked. You'd think 86 inches would be a little more obvious.
    Sittin on top of the world!

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,443

    Default Re: Hibbert Could Be Elite Center

    How can you work with Walton and not learn this one fundamental rule....throw it down big man!

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,610

    Default Re: Hibbert Could Be Elite Center

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How can you work with Walton and not learn this one fundamental rule....throw it down big man!
    LOL

    I miss Bill's comentary

    I remeber one game after a nice pass by Joe Prysbilla Walton said:

    "What a tremedous pass by , quite possibly, the greatest passing big man in the history of the NBA"

    I think all the years follwing the greatful dead have caught up with Bill's judgement, lol
    Sittin on top of the world!

  6. #4
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,083

    Default Re: Hibbert Could Be Elite Center

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How can you work with Walton and not learn this one fundamental rule....throw it down big man!
    Roy should be fined for every obvious dunk he gives the pansy treatment.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,610

    Default Re: Hibbert Could Be Elite Center

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Roy should be fined for every obvious dunk he gives the pansy treatment.
    I agree but the thing I like about Roy is he "man'd up" after the game and admitted he played soft, and seems determined to play stronger
    Sittin on top of the world!

  9. #6

    Default Re: Hibbert Could Be Elite Center

    Roy's gotta adjust to his new body. I'd give him a bit of time.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


  11. #7
    Member pacers74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Plainfield
    Posts
    2,289

    Default Re: Hibbert Could Be Elite Center

    Roy will be a top 4 center in the east. Is that Elite? Maybe, I'm looking at 17 ppg, 7.5 rpg, and 1.5 bpg.
    I would love all of his hard to pay off and for him to make the all-star game. Can he beat out B.Lopez, and Bogut for the second center spot?

  12. #8
    Member spreedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,575

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hibbert Could Be Elite Center

    I am strongly considering adding the Kings to my League Pass Broadband Pick 7 package because Bill Walton is doing color for them this year. I get a huge kick out of his commentary and feel bad for those that don't appreciate his unique brand of humor as much as I do.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:


  14. #9
    Long time fan diamonddave00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Castle de Verde (Greencastle)
    Posts
    1,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hibbert Could Be Elite Center

    Not knocking Roy Hibbert but I don't ever see him averaging 10 rpg. Roy is more of a Rik Smits clone , big center with shooting range but mediocre at best as a rebounder and defender.

    If Roy can bump his stats up to 15 ppg and 8 rpg, I'll be satisfied he's improving. He seems a great kid but I don't see the huge ceiling some on here do. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.

  15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to diamonddave00 For This Useful Post:


  16. #10
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,610

    Default Re: Hibbert Could Be Elite Center

    Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am strongly considering adding the Kings to my League Pass Broadband Pick 7 package because Bill Walton is doing color for them this year. I get a huge kick out of his commentary and feel bad for those that don't appreciate his unique brand of humor as much as I do.
    When you say "pick 7" are you saying the League Pass, now allows you to pay/pick only a couple teams?

    If so thats great, I always hated paying 180 dollars only to watch the Pacers
    Sittin on top of the world!

  17. #11
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,610

    Default Re: Hibbert Could Be Elite Center

    Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not knocking Roy Hibbert but I don't ever see him averaging 10 rpg. Roy is more of a Rik Smits clone , big center with shooting range but mediocre at best as a rebounder and defender.

    If Roy can bump his stats up to 15 ppg and 8 rpg, I'll be satisfied he's improving. He seems a great kid but I don't see the huge ceiling some on here do. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.
    I agree with that. Big Roy is not a great rebounder and if he can average 8 a game I will be happy with that
    Sittin on top of the world!

  18. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hibbert Could Be Elite Center

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When you say "pick 7" are you saying the League Pass, now allows you to pay/pick only a couple teams?

    If so thats great, I always hated paying 180 dollars only to watch the Pacers
    ya you can pick 7 or pick all the teams pick seven is only $109. I buy them all normal pick a new team to watch each night. If the pacers are not on and normally watch the kings or clippers or OKC at 10:30

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  20. #13
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hibbert Could Be Elite Center

    Roy lacks the explosiveness to be an elite center. He can not gain this in the off season either. It is something you are born with. He can and will be a serviceable starting level center for several years, but I dont see him making the all star team unless there are extensive injuries in the league simultaneously.

    Roy is very similar to Rik, but honestly I now think Rik was more physical. I didn't think Rik was physical when he played at all, but as I watch old games now I see that he was. It is very hard to see it that way as he played in the most physical days of the NBA. With Dale and Tony on the same team, and constantly lining up against Oakley, Ewing, Mason, Willis, Thorpe, Long, Robinson, Shaq, etc. You're just going to look soft. Today Rik would not be considered soft at all IMO.

    Roy has to get stronger. He still gets bent over in the post by anybody's forearm. Falls to the floor constantly. Can't back anyone down. He has lots of skills, but seems to lack the physical attributes to implement them consistently, or at least at an elite level.
    House Name: Pacers

    House Sigil:



    House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

  21. #14
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,083

    Default Re: Hibbert Could Be Elite Center

    Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not knocking Roy Hibbert but I don't ever see him averaging 10 rpg. Roy is more of a Rik Smits clone , big center with shooting range but mediocre at best as a rebounder and defender.

    If Roy can bump his stats up to 15 ppg and 8 rpg, I'll be satisfied he's improving. He seems a great kid but I don't see the huge ceiling some on here do. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.
    Okay "Diamond Dave" thanked the post of "DiamondDave00."

    Who's who? Is there some kind of connection? I think the one without double zeros is Peck's son, but I'm not sure.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  22. #15
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hibbert Could Be Elite Center

    I don't like it when he says Troy Murphy is "absent" from the team. That just gives me the impression that he is coming back...sometime.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:


  24. #16
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,943

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hibbert Could Be Elite Center

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't like it when he says Troy Murphy is "absent" from the team. That just gives me the impression that he is coming back...sometime.
    He is a free agent next summer....

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  26. #17
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,821

    Default Re: Hibbert Could Be Elite Center

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He is a free agent next summer....
    if he is cheap he should be welcomed back. While i hated his contract and role with the team. He wasn't as bad as people mad him seem. He was just what was left once jax, tins, jermaine , and the rest were gone. I am sure TJ and Mike would like him back just to spread the hate around a bit.

  27. #18
    Pacers 4 Life.31 and only Pacers4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    25
    Posts
    611

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hibbert Could Be Elite Center

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How can you work with Walton and not learn this one fundamental rule....throw it down big man!

    haha that was awesome.
    and i couldn't agree more... he's gotta dunk that shi...
    Reggie Miller is a God. Period.

    Passion. Pride. Pacers.

    It's ALWAYS Miller Time.
    #31 & Only


  28. #19
    Pacers 4 Life.31 and only Pacers4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    25
    Posts
    611

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hibbert Could Be Elite Center

    Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am strongly considering adding the Kings to my League Pass Broadband Pick 7 package because Bill Walton is doing color for them this year. I get a huge kick out of his commentary and feel bad for those that don't appreciate his unique brand of humor as much as I do.
    i seriously love it. even with his... favortism towards certain teams (ahem...) the things this guy says are classic. Clark Kellog-esque
    Reggie Miller is a God. Period.

    Passion. Pride. Pacers.

    It's ALWAYS Miller Time.
    #31 & Only


  29. #20
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,634

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hibbert Could Be Elite Center

    Last season, Hibbert attempted a season average of 9.7 FGA per game...where his average crept up to 10.7 FGA per game in the last couple of months of the season. Murphy had a season average of 11.3 FGA per season....where his average got closer to 12 FGA in the last couple of months in the season.

    Although Hibbert was technically considered a "3rd option" on the Team with the 3rd most FGA per game....until I see Hibbert attempting more FGA per game....hopefully creeping up to 12-13 FGA a game.....I'm going to follow the "When I see the offense run more through Hibbert, I'll believe it" mantra.

    This is not a "bash JO'B" response from me....this is more of a "I have seen very little evidence over the last 2 seasons when JO'B had a highly efficient low-post scorer at his disposal that has led me to believe that he will look to more to score from inside then the outside" response from me.

    In other words, when it comes to JO'B using Hibbert more on the offensive end and actually going to a under-utilized but effective skill that he has...."when I see it, I'll believe it".
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  30. #21
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,443

    Default Re: Hibbert Could Be Elite Center

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Last season, Hibbert attempted a season average of 9.7 FGA per game...where his average crept up to 10.7 FGA per game in the last couple of months of the season. Murphy had a season average of 11.3 FGA per season....where his average got closer to 12 FGA in the last couple of months in the season.

    Although Hibbert was technically considered a "3rd option" on the Team with the 3rd most FGA per game....until I see Hibbert attempting more FGA per game....hopefully creeping up to 12-13 FGA a game.....I'm going to follow the "When I see the offense run more through Hibbert, I'll believe it" mantra.

    This is not a "bash JO'B" response from me....this is more of a "I have seen very little evidence over the last 2 seasons when JO'B had a highly efficient low-post scorer at his disposal that has led me to believe that he will look to more to score from inside then the outside" response from me.

    In other words, when it comes to JO'B using Hibbert more on the offensive end and actually going to a under-utilized but effective skill that he has...."when I see it, I'll believe it".
    I don't even think its a matter of more shot attempts. If he would just dunk the ball more you'd see his points go up by 4-8 points a game. He has atleast 3-4 chances in a game where is gets the ball right under basket and goes for a weak layup.

  31. #22
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,634

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hibbert Could Be Elite Center

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't even think its a matter of more shot attempts. If he would just dunk the ball more you'd see his points go up by 4-8 points a game. He has atleast 3-4 chances in a game where is gets the ball right under basket and goes for a weak layup.
    In terms of how he takes his shots is important...but that's irrelevant if he isn't getting the ball in his hands in the first place.

    I'm not saying that I want him to be taking as many FGA as Granger....I'm saying that we have not been using an effective scoring option over the last 2 seasons as much as we probably should have been whereas we have been relying more on going to our "jump shooters" when it comes to scoring.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  32. #23
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,610

    Default Re: Hibbert Could Be Elite Center

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In terms of how he takes his shots is important...but that's irrelevant if he isn't getting the ball in his hands in the first place.

    I'm not saying that I want him to be taking as many FGA as Granger....I'm saying that we have not been using an effective scoring option over the last 2 seasons as much as we probably should have been whereas we have been relying more on going to our "jump shooters" when it comes to scoring.
    Exactly how many times have we seen the two man game with Roy and DC, where DC feeds the ball into Roy who makes his post move

    I dont recall seeing it that much, in fact it looks as though they want Roy at the top of the key and eitehr pass of shot the 18 footer

    Thats OK but I would rather see big Roy work down low
    Sittin on top of the world!

  33. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,150

    Default Re: Hibbert Could Be Elite Center

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Roy lacks the explosiveness to be an elite center. He can not gain this in the off season either. It is something you are born with. .
    You better inform a lot of athletes and athletic trainers out there then.
    Cuz LOTS of them have increased theirs and others explosiveness to tremendous degrees.
    I increased my vertical jump by 5" in one summer after training with a certified trainer for a couple of months. (many moons ago)
    (could dunk a volleyball for a year after that, not bad for a 5'9" 220lb white kid)
    Mostly by using a leg machine that you squatted in and put your shoulders in a horsecollar type deal and then exploded up as fast and as hard as you can.
    Increasing leg strength can add substantial explosion to any athlete.

  34. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,324

    Default Re: Hibbert Could Be Elite Center

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Last season, Hibbert attempted a season average of 9.7 FGA per game...where his average crept up to 10.7 FGA per game in the last couple of months of the season. Murphy had a season average of 11.3 FGA per season....where his average got closer to 12 FGA in the last couple of months in the season.
    Wow I can't believe we are giving Roy that many shots. I'm worried.

Similar Threads

  1. Tbird draft analysis: Roy Hibbert
    By thunderbird1245 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 124
    Last Post: 01-12-2012, 03:34 PM
  2. Roster Report: Center
    By Speed in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-08-2010, 09:21 AM
  3. So, its about that time of year...
    By Dr. Awesome in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-25-2010, 07:14 PM
  4. Star: Hibbert fouls too much
    By Putnam in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-10-2008, 03:48 PM
  5. Return of the Center.
    By Merz in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-28-2008, 05:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •