Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The "How would you upgrade the shooting guard position" thread

Default The "How would you upgrade the shooting guard position" thread

I've not been thrilled with our shooting guard spot for years. I like Rush and think he can be a solid Bowen-type guard for us, but I'd also like to see us get more firepower out of that spot. I like Dunleavy and George, but neither one is a natural two.

So, having given the caveat that I like all of those guys, the question is "who could we get that's better than them?"

What shooting guards are out there that are available and better than what we've got?

Thoughts?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Default Re: The "How would you upgrade the shooting guard position" thread

I don't really have any problem grooming Paul George for the position. Why shouldn't he play the two? He's certainly quick enough.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

George

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't really have any problem grooming Paul George for the position. Why shouldn't he play the two? He's certainly quick enough.
    Yea, a lot of scouts had him pegged as a two coming out of college. I think a lot of people just look at the height and assume he isn't a natural two. I personally think he is very capable of playing the two guard.

If I just had to upgrade right now.... I'd trade Danny for one.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

This is never going to happen, and even if I were Larry I don't know if I would do this. But I wan't you guys to hear me out. I don't want hatemail or whatever.

Stephen Jackson.

He has molded into a mature player that plays scrappy defense and has an uncanny ability to get to the line. He is extremely good at the triple threat and can teach Paul a thing or two about how to get his own shot.

He has two years left with about 8.5 million owed each season. He is about a 20/5/5 guy and would help us tremendously.

Charlotte is not very good right now and they are not headed in the right direction. Jackson is not in their best interests because they want youth and a clean slate. They have not been managed well and they just lost their point guard. If we send TJ, Rush, and a 2nd I bet we could snag him.

It won't happen though.

Other options: Courtney Lee (fresh in my mind ), Gerald Henderson, Marquis Daniels, Francisco Garcia, or Ronnie Brewer maybe. I can't think right right now.

I think George can be that guard in a few years.

His shot looked pretty in summerleague, despite the misses. Although now it looks like he's forcing things. But he's just raw. Very talanted though.

and quite frankly, if we're going to have Collison (or Price) looking for their shot, I think it's okay to have a passive Rush. Who shoots threes and defends well.

Banned

Damn I just waisted one minute of my life reading the previous post

Edit: the post before sookie

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Edit: the post before sookie

Whoops!

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I like Lance as a possibility.

He can create. That's what we need on the floor. Or we need to trade for someone who can create their shot. I feel like the closest thing we have right now is Hansbrough.

Danny doesn't create very well. Dun is still struggling to do so. Hibbert can when he gets it down low. I does look like Collison can create his own shot, so that will help us.

But we need one, solid, effective player who can create their own shot. Besides the handful of untouchable superstars, I don't know who we could obtain who fits the bill. Zach Randolph could do it but he has too many other liabilities. I've always liked Barbosa as someone who can create off the dribble. He's getting a bit old, though. Terry from Dallas could help us somewhat.

Those are some thoughts, but I don't think its easily fixable. If Lance decided to be a serious defender and avoids the law and matures as an offensive force, I do think he could help us. He can certainly create off the dribble.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

12. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

I see this discussed all the time.

What is the difference between a shooting guard and a small forward? I'd like to know the clear cut differences before I can think of the perfect solution.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    George
    Too young. Paul needs to be developed correctly. Much like Danny was.

If it were possible, I think the best complement to Danny is Andre Iguodala. Danny could continue to be an outside force. Meanwhile Andre could attack the rim.

Thus far, Andre Iguodala doesn't seem available. However, if Evan Turner were to become a candidate for the rookie of the year award I could imagine him becoming expendable. Perhaps a first round pick and a few young players. I love Paul George, but I would trade him and a first round pick for Iguodala. Regardless of whether or not it is realistic he is on my wishlist.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post

What is the difference between a shooting guard and a small forward? I'd like to know the clear cut differences before I can think of the perfect solution.
    Quicker, better ball-handler. Other than that......?

Banned

I was looking at some of the shooting guards in the NBA and to upgrade the position they would have to be better than Brandon or Dunleavy, they have to be good defenders like Brandon and score more than 10ppg like both of them, here is a list of player that could maybe be the answer at the 2 spot:

Monta Ellis: He average over 25ppg last year and is a really good defender, the only problem with him is that he is a black hole, is not a good passer and at times he is to small to guard bigger shooting guards.

Gerald Henderson: we don't know how good he is, is he better than Rush and Dun?

Jamal Crawford: another black hole that does not play D

Daniel Gibson: Only shoots threes and plays no D, he play the point but is a two.

Antony Parker: Decent player but is not an improvement.

Jason Terry: no going to happen

JR Smith: really good player can score in bunches but no way that Larry brings that guy here

Aaron Affalo: really good player but is not an upgrade

Richard Hamilton: too old and too much money

Ben Gordon: too much money and does not play D

Courtney Lee: good player he average 12ppg last year, plays good D but in no way Houston let him go

Eric Gordon: we can only dream right?

OJ Mayo: he could be an improvement but his defense is not that good and Memphis is not letting him go either

Michael Red: old and broken down

Corey Brewer: he is a really good player, his shot from outside is not that good in general he is just an small improvement I think.

T will: how good is he? NJ is not letting him go

Jeff green: he is 6'9'' but he is listed at SG, really good player but again he is out of reach

James Harden: here is one guy that could be the answer he average 9.9ppg on his 1st season, Oklahoma is not going to have the cash to pay everybody, this guy is an starter playing backup right now.

Iguadola: not going to happen

Jason Richardson: free agent next year, decent defender amazing offensive player but I think somebody else is going to pay him big money.

Rudy Fernandez: he does not want to play in the NBA anymore

Francisco Garcia: he average 8.8 ppg last year, is he better than Rush and Dun? I'm not sure

George Hill: San Antonio is not trading him right now

this are most of the guys I can come up with, the other ones have either big contracts or the teams are not going to trade them for anybody(Kobe,Dwade, etc)
    Last edited by vnzla81; 10-11-2010 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I would say shooting guards tend to be better shooters too. (Although not always)

Funny thing is, to this day, the best team I've ever seen used their SF like a PF and the SF, PF, and C were pretty much interchangeable.
    Last edited by Sookie; 10-11-2010 at 12:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post

In high school, I played shooting guard and point guard. When I was young and not yet a starter, I played SF briefly because of an injury to a teammate. I was undersized for the position, but I learned a lot about it.

I can tell you there is a difference. However, those differences vary based on the system. As a ball handler, I was able to utilize that skill on the top of the key. Though I was not effective because I was not strong enough to post and too small to be a flexible defender. In a traditional system a "2" has the responsibility of scoring, and a "3" has the responsibility of perimeter defense and support rebounding. The best "2" has an outside shot and can drive in order to create distance between a defender. The best "3" post and jump shoot. It certainly advances his game if he can shoot from the outside and drive. Essentially, I think the best "3" is a balanced player and a flexible player. In a practical situation (if an all-star isn't available) he is a jack of all trades and a master of a few. A player who can do a lot well and equip the stars around him to shine. A friend of mine referred to the small forward as "the glue." I'm not sure I disagree, even as a combo guard. If I were looking to build a team I would search for a "glue" guy at small forward. Pippen was a beautiful example of this - though he did more than a few things well. Scottie played inside and outside. He could rebound and defend. He could guard the 2, 3, 4. He was extremely balanced and flexible, and he did many things well and that is what made him incredible.

Can George play "2"? Certainly. George is the prototypical small of the modern NBA. Athletic and dynamic. I think George is much, much more equipped to play the two in most senerios. Think of it like this, would you rather a mature George guard Martin or Battier? Kature George could keep pace with a Martin on the defensive end. Meanwhile, he would likely be abused by a player like Battier in the post.
    Last edited by 1984; 10-11-2010 at 12:18 AM.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1984 For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

You put the better rebounder at 3 for sure.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ryheathco View Post
    In high school, I played shooting guard and point guard. When I was young and not yet a starter, I played SF briefly because of an injury to a teammate. I was undersized for the position, but I learned a lot about it.

I can tell you there is a difference. However, those differences vary based on the system. As a ball handler, I was able to utilize that skill on the top of the key. Though I was not effective because I was not strong enough to post and too small to be a flexible defender. In a traditional system a "2" has the responsibility of scoring, and a "3" has the responsibility of perimeter defense and support rebounding. The best "2" has an outside shot and can drive in order to create distance between a defender. The best "3" post and jump shoot. It certainly advances his game if he can shoot from the outside and drive. Essentially, I think the best "3" is a balanced player and a flexible player. In a practical situation (if an all-star isn't available) he is a jack of all trades and a master of a few. A player who can do a lot well and equip the stars around him to shine. A friend of mine referred to the small forward as "the glue." I'm not sure I disagree, even as a combo guard. If I were looking to build a team I would search for a "glue" guy at small forward. Pippen was a beautiful example of this - though he did more than a few things well. Scottie played inside and outside. He could rebound and defend. He could guard the 2, 3, 4. He was extremely balanced and flexible, and he did many things well and that is what made him incredible.

Can George play "2"? Certainly. George is the prototypical small of the modern NBA. Athletic and dynamic. I think George is much, much more equipped to play the two in most senerios. Think of it like this, would you rather a mature George guard Martin or Battier? Kature George could keep pace with a Martin on the defensive end. Meanwhile, he would likely be abused by a player like Battier in the post.
    George is very long and jumps like a kangaroo.
    I think he'd be sending Battier shots back on a regular basis.
    I'm also not sure we wouldn't be better off with him up front given those attributes.
    He'd also have more of a quickness advantage against bigger 3's.

I'm not sure that PG as Danny's heir apparent doesn't make more sense long term. With Danny being moved (at some point, not now) for a 2 or a big with a 2 being drafted.

To add to the list vnzla81 had quoted Kevin Martin is a great shooter kind of in the Reggie Miller type mode, and Marcus Thorton from New Orleans looks like he is about to become a stud at the SG spot.

I would love to get Eric Gordon, but we would at least have to give up Granger for him. That is too much.

I really hope that George can grow into the position, but there is going to be a lot of growing pains with him. I also like having a combo guard in there for a change of pace. Lance should be able to do that for us.
    If we just stay patient and let our rookies mature, then the SG spot should be filled for the future. I don't think we need to upgrade it right away. It looks like Dunleavy will start and should get us around 12-15 pts a game and hopefully our rookies can come in and contirbute some early on. I just wish someone would bite and take Rush and D.Jones off of our hands for a PF. J.Thompson, or C.Landry would do just fine in my book.

Right now George has good handles but is looking really slow with the ball in his hands in the half court.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ReginaldWayne View Post
    Right now George has good handles but is looking really slow with the ball in his hands in the half court.
    To me he just looks like he is a little afraid. Give him a few weeks to get comfortable and he will be pretty good at the SG .

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ryheathco View Post

right now maybe but give him a year or two to grow into his frame. He will be a really good all around defender.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I was looking at some of the shooting guards in the NBA and to upgrade the position they would have to be better than Brandon or Dunleavy, they have to be good defenders like Brandon and score more than 10ppg like both of them, here is a list of player that could maybe be the answer at the 2 spot:
    Just to let you know Jeff Green plays the PF for OKC. He is a hybrid 3/4 but he will be starting at the 4 this year like last year. Thabo Sefolosha will be thier SG with Harden thier 6 man. He could get the starting job from Thabo Sefolosha if he steps it up on D.

22 Jeff Green F 6-9

I don't see SG as our most pressing need at he moment. Considering we have a couple of very decent PGs now in Collison and Price, the SG position might be OK for now. A big issue for Rush and other players has been limited ball handling skills and thus difficultly creating. Collison should be able to help set guys up and reduce the impact of this weakness. I'd like to see our currently guards play together for a season.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Paul George is a long way away from being an upgrade at any position. He hasn't shown me much of anything besides potential in college, summer league, or the preseason.