View Poll Results: Which player should play over the other? (Get the backup role)

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dahntay Jones

10 14.71%
  • Brandon Rush

58 85.29%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dahntay Jones or Brandon Rush

Default Re: Dahntay Jones or Brandon Rush

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought Brandon hit big shots for Kansas during their title run?
    Ok, I am waiting. BTW, I am OK with giving him one more year, but so far he's not shown that he has "the right stuff". I never watched him at Kansas and from his scoring average he wasn't exactly aggressive. That was college anyway. Damon Bailey lit it up too.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Brother, I actually agree with you on this. It has to be correct...
    The world is ending.

Well if you actually do agree with me on this that means that is something that has to be done about the Pacers. We don't see eye to eye on anything else it seems- but if we can agree on this it has to be right.

Was Bruce Bowen a productive starting SF in the NBA?
    Bowen might be the best defender on the perimeter in the past decade. Rush, in my opinion, isn't even close.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Ok, I am waiting. BTW, I am OK with giving him one more year, but so far he's not shown that he has "the right stuff". I never watched him at Kansas and from his scoring average he wasn't exactly aggressive. That was college anyway. Damon Bailey lit it up too.
    Trade him as a package before everyone else realizes he doesn't have the right stuff. Wait another year and his trade value will completely disappear.

I guess the other thing is, I don't recall these moments the past two years where I left thinking "Man, Rush really let us down in the clutch." There's that #33 who tends to get all the late game looks....

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

I guess the other thing is, I don't recall these moments the past two years where I left thinking "Man, Rush really let us down in the clutch." There's that #33 who tends to get all the late game looks....
    Think about it. Granger gets all the touches because no one else wants the ball. How predictable is this team that #33 is really the only guy you have to defend late in the game? There is no other go-to-guy than Granger which has resulted in Granger becoming one dimensional.

Banned

Yeah I was thinking the same thing just a crazy argument I think.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing just a crazy argument I think.
    There is letting the team down due to commission and then due to omission.

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    Think about it. Granger gets all the touches because no one else wants the ball. How predictable is this team that #33 is really the only guy you have to defend late in the game? There is no other go-to-guy than Granger which has resulted in Granger becoming one dimensional.
    Did Reggie Miller, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Kobe Bryant, etc. get all the touches because "no one else wants the ball?"

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Granger gets late game touches because he's the best player on the team and should get those touches.

Regardless, I don't think Rush is a superstar. I think he's an excellent three point shooter and a very good defender. He's a spot up shooter. Unfortunatly, he's not like Dunleavy and doesn't move around to get a shot..he just stands there.

I think if Rush is on the court with aggressive starters, where he can just play defense and shoot when open. Then he'll be fine. I'd like him to learn a midrange game..or heck, just a head fake step in three pointer. But even still, he's a good complimentary player. Kobe Bryant and Lebron James would love to have him.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Get rid of both of them. One's a stoner, who isn't that good, the other just can't really play that well, at least in O'Brien's system.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Did Reggie Miller, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Kobe Bryant, etc. get all the touches because "no one else wants the ball?"
    Maybe, but stephen graham has more game winners than rush.

You are correct but do you think that Larry, Michael, and Kobe did not use their supporting cast. I don't know if Granger is in their class but whether you want to argue that Granger is or isn't deserving of having the ball in his hands that much, consider that those guys were on teams that won and made the playoffs on a regular basis.

A one man team watching Granger is not a recipe for a successful team. Did Larry have McHale and a host of others? MJ had Scotty; Kobe had Shaq and Gasol; and Granger has Brandon?

Quote Originally Posted by flox View Post
    Maybe, but stephen graham has more game winners than rush.
    I am not surprised.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Get rid of both of them. One's not that great, one's not that greater, the other just can't really play that well, at least in O'Brien's system...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Natston View Post
    Get rid of both of them. One's not that great, one's not that greater, the other just can't really play that well, at least in O'Brien's system...
    U madd?
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Granger gets his fair share, but he's not the player assumed to get the last shot like those guys. IOW, I don't think anyone dominates that role on this team...so Rush should have a chance to shine.

I think this comes down to whether you think Brandon will ever develop a scorer's mentality. He really has to do that as a SG. Perhaps the lightbulb will switch on once the smoke clears. IDK. What I do know is that there's something wrong when a guy with his stroke shoots 63% from the line. There is a confidence or concentration issue. Not really sure which one...but I think it might be both.

In any event, it's time to kick the crutch out. He is going on 26 now and old enough to average in the teens on this team if he's ever going to be any good.

Pacers 4 Life.31 and only Pacers4Life's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

here's whats up. Brandon almost HAS to start. We're arguing all of gifts and short-comings.. And i think we all have the same idea of who he is and what he can do... but where to UTILIZE these skills?

I... can't stand it when we have a lineup of say TJ, Brush, DJ, Hansboro, and it can be Hibbert. WHOS GONNA SCORE?
    Brandon is so clueless offensively sometimes, correction: nonexistent on offense. He CANNOT come in with some ppl from the second unit. He needs to play full on D from the moment the game starts till the moment he's replaced with Dun or George. Then do it aaallll over again
    Reggie Miller is a God. Period.

Passion. Pride. Pacers.

It's ALWAYS Miller Time.
    #31 & Only

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

This team's roster is hardly locked in cement, especially at the SG, which means I'm up to try anything. I used to be more high on Rush than I am now (due to his "problem", which really made me lose respect for him and made me realize that he's probly never gonna put it together). I think when healthy, Dunleavy is probly the best player, but he hasn't looked himself in 2 years.

Jones is a backup.

It's pretty safe to say we know what we got with those three, and ya they present a logjam at that position because none of the three really presents any major advantage over the other... they're all "situational", which isn't the long-term solution.

The last person, the one who intrigues me, is Paul George. He might be the least experienced *now*, but I think he has the highest ceiling of the four. I'm of the mind to just start him and deal with his learning curve a la what the Colts did with P. Manning and see what we really have here.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 10-10-2010 at 06:39 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    Cleary the way back to prosperity for the Pacers is by continuing to start a poor mans Quinton Ross. I wouldn't invest any more time or effort into Brandon Rush seeing as how he's not only an unproductive player, but also a substance abuser. I'd try to move him for a 2nd and give all the back-up SG minutes to George and Stephenson, with MDJ as the obvious starter.
    You do realize you just implied that you believe using pot is worse than domestic violence right? Give Stephenson Rush's minutes? For this twisted outlook you must be on +"prescription" medication.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post:

Banned

You are correct but do you think that Larry, Michael, and Kobe did not use their supporting cast. I don't know if Granger is in their class but whether you want to argue that Granger is or isn't deserving of having the ball in his hands that much, consider that those guys were on teams that won and made the playoffs on a regular basis.

A one man team watching Granger is not a recipe for a successful team. Did Larry have McHale and a host of others? MJ had Scotty; Kobe had Shaq and Gasol; and Granger has Brandon?
    I don't know if you understand but we been waiting for Granger to have a Robin for a long time and many people here (including myself) are hoping that that guy is Collisons, we don't need Rush to be that guy we need him to actually take pressure of Danny by defending the other team best player and hit open shots.

If Collisons is that player and he could get close to 20 ppg and Roy 15ppg I think the Pacers are going to be in good shape.

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I chose Brandon Rush even though I really like Dahntay Jones on our team. Brandon fits in real well in O'Brien's system as he can shoot the 3 and Dahntay wasn't able to here in Indy last season. Dahntay isn't afraid of driving it to the paint, though, whereas Brandon Rush seems frightened of driving to the rim, and when he does, he seems a little jumpy like he just doesn't have the confidence that he'll be able to score in the paint. Dahntay on the other hand will throw his body into people every chance he gets in the paint to try to either get to the free-throw line or get the layup/dunk. Plus Brandon is younger, so that is a plus on his side. Both have great defense and as of right now, Brandon has been the better defender on our team. O'Brien's lineup choices kills Dahntay's game on the defensive end as he is great at guarding PGs and SGs, whereas O'Brien has him defend PFs and bigger SFs lol.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I thought Brandon hit big shots for Kansas during their title run?
    Chalmers hit the big shot at the end of the finals.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I don't know if you understand but we been waiting for Granger to have a Robin for a long time and many people here (including myself) are hoping that that guy is Collisons, we don't need Rush to be that guy we need him to actually take pressure of Danny by defending the other team best player and hit open shots.

If Collison is that player and he could get close to 20 ppg and Roy 15ppg I think the Pacers are going to be in good shape.
    If you are a starter you have to be effective at both ends of the floor if you intend to have a long career. . Your depending on Collison to be the Robin that BR isn't. Perhaps George is the long term solution. I don't think he was drafted to take minutes away from Granger. As said by others BR will be a situational backup.
    Last edited by speakout4; 10-10-2010 at 07:52 PM.

Banned

If you are a starter you have to be effective at both ends of the floor if you intend to have a long career. . Perhaps George is the long term solution. I don't think he was drafted to take minutes away from Granger. As said by others BR will be a situational backup.
    What about guys like Bruce Bowen(6ppg), Shane Battier(10.5ppg) and many other guys that started during their careers and won championships? again not everything is offense.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I guess the other thing is, I don't recall these moments the past two years where I left thinking "Man, Rush really let us down in the clutch."
    Rush makes a lot of bad decisions. He's a liability in the clutch, imo.

My major problem with Rush is not offensive pensiveness or pot smoking or some of the other problems. It's bad decision-making. Remember when he took a step in-bounds throwing the ball in during clutch time?

He just doesn't seem to have the savvy and the smarts. He can't make a free throw. I would have traded him yesterday.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown