View Poll Results: Which player should play over the other? (Get the backup role)

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dahntay Jones

10 14.71%
  • Brandon Rush

58 85.29%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Dahntay Jones or Brandon Rush

Default Re: Dahntay Jones or Brandon Rush

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What about guys like Bruce Bowen(6ppg), Shane Battier(10.5ppg) and many other guys that started during their careers and won championships? again not everything is offense.
    You do know that Dunleavy was the reason they won that championship game..and it was his offensive numbers.
    JOB is a silly man

What about guys like Bruce Bowen(6ppg), Shane Battier(10.5ppg) and many other guys that started during their careers and won championships? again not everything is offense.
    I wish we had the luxury of having defensive stoppers such as you suggest but that doesn't fit the pacers now. We don't even know who will replace Murphy's points so before we say Hibbert and Collison will score so many points/game we need BR to actually contribute on the offensive end. Battier was better rebounder, in assists, and FT.

Who is to say that what works for SA and Houston will work for the pacers? In case you haven't noticed our team isn't working yet.

I don't think BR is much better than other people we have at SG. Battier and Bowen played with some very good offensive players.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    I wish we had the luxury of having defensive stoppers such as you suggest but that doesn't fit the pacers now. We don't even know who will replace Murphy's points so before we say Hibbert and Collison will score so many points/game we need BR to actually contribute on the offensive end. Battier was better rebounder, in assists, and FT.

Who is to say that what works for SA and Houston will work for the pacers? In case you haven't noticed our team isn't working yet.

I don't think BR is much better than other people we have at SG. Battier and Bowen played with some very good offensive players.
    I am sorry but just because the Pacers are not a good team does not mean that you don't need a defensive stopper, every team in the NBA needs one, as an example Ron Artest was that guy for the Lakers last year and he only average 11ppg and that is because Kobe, Gasol, Fishers and Odom were scoring most of the points.

I'm not saying that he have the same team as the Lakers but I think is possible for the Pacers to continue scoring the same way they been doing for the past three years and been one of the top scoring teams once again.

I am sorry but just because the Pacers are not a good team does not mean that you don't need a defensive stopper, every team in the NBA needs one, as an example Ron Artest was that guy for the Lakers last year and he only average 11ppg and that is because Kobe, Gasol, Fishers and Odom were scoring most of the points.

I'm not saying that he have the same team as the Lakers but I think is possible for the Pacers to continue scoring the same way they been doing for the past three years and been one of the top scoring teams once again.
    I totally agree with your first paragraph and not at all with your second paragraph.

To suggest that BR is that kind of defensive asset is premature IMO and D. Jones is certainly not much behind him. So we obviously do not agree with respect to BR and time will tell who is more on the mark. Clearly this board has a mixed opinion.

I don't care about this topic. I wish Jones and Rush the best, and hope they can play their career bests this season.

I just want to say that for as long as he keeps the Psychedelic Roy avatar, I'm going to take everything spazzxb says very seriously. I hated his vicious boxer avatar, but Psychedelic Roy is great.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

However, with all my "hate" on Brandon's game lately, he's really been trying to change his play style.

He's been shooting mid rangers and driving about 10x more than he used too. It seems like he decided to start being aggressive when things were turning for the worst for him.

I think he's averaged about 3 points this preseason. Nonetheless, he hasn't had any minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by flox View Post
    Maybe, but stephen graham has more game winners than rush.
    Which means........... nothing.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Granger gets his fair share, but he's not the player assumed to get the last shot like those guys. IOW, I don't think anyone dominates that role on this team...so Rush should have a chance to shine.
    Completely disagree.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Completely disagree.
    In the Jim O'brien era we have seen gamewinners attempted by TJ, Jack, Quis, Dunleavy, and Granger...

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Completely disagree.
    Really? Ok. I know his number may be called more often than anyone else, but dominate? When I say dominate I mean MJ and Reggie level.

In our offense, we have seen TJ and Murphy take the shot multiple times. I think Watson as well. Jarrett Jack actually made some....and even Foster back in Jan. 2009 shot an air ball...

Honestly, there are limited times where a last second shot comes into play and I know too many guys have taken part with it. Yes, Danny is the most likely guy but hardly a given...and hardly that effective either.

Back in the day, Reggie would almost always take that shot because the system was geared for it. Not so with this offense. Far too disorganized and Danny is often covered up. Reggie would whip through picks and launch it even though everyone in the building knew with about a 99% certainty it was going to him. Again, not so with Danny.

And how many of those do you think were by design other than Danny? Maybe TJ?

Jack and Dunleavy I think also were ones that were designed for them.

Quote Originally Posted by flox View Post
    In the Jim O'brien era we have seen gamewinners attempted by TJ, Jack, Quis, Dunleavy, and Granger...
    Man, we are on a winning streak. Lightening has struck twice now.

I think part of this has to do with my Reggie Miller upbringing. There is an enormous gap between his ability to close out games and anyone else I've seen in Indy.

Banned

I think part of this has to do with my Reggie Miller upbringing. There is an enormous gap between his ability to close out games and anyone else I've seen in Indy.
    So according to you Danny is not the guy that can hit that last shot either because he is not good enough to get open or because he is been cover so you expect everybody else in the team to be able to do that?

I'm generally confused right now- i feel like I died and went to heaven and thats why we are agreeing with each other right now.

Yeah, I feel like Danny does get his number of shots, but we see them run for other people that aren't Danny as well, and more than people would expect/

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Neither. I'd rather play a healthy Mike and develop Paul George. If I had to decide I would chose Rush. I like Dahntay better on 29 teams in the NBA. Unfortunately, this is not one of them. As long as Jim O'Brien is the coach of the Indiana Pacers, I do not think Dahntay's skillset compliments the system.

If I were king of the world, and I could rebuild the Pacers and institute a new system, Dahntay would stay and Rush would go. If for no other reason than Dahntay's reasonable contract and Brandon's poor character (I.E., liability).

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mike looks a lot more comfortable shooting in preseason so far which is why I think he's worthy to start.

I happen to like both guys. I think Brandon, who is inconsistent can get on a shooting/scoring role once in a while finish with at least 12 points. Plus he's younger.

So according to you Danny is not the guy that can hit that last shot either because he is not good enough to get open or because he is been cover so you expect everybody else in the team to be able to do that?
    Danny's a good player. My favorite on the team. However, getting his own shot has never been his strong suit...although he's getting a bit better. Is he the best at this on this particular team? IDK, but TJ Ford probably has a decent argument for that particular category of the game.

As a result, I think the Pacers have taken a "surprise attack" approach in late game situations at times...and it's not been that infrequent where someone else launches the shot. The bottom line is, no one is assuming Danny will always be the guy. I know I don't assume it because I know the other team will have their best defender on him...and so does JOb. Combine that with Danny's limited ability to get his own shot off...and I think there are probably frequent Option 1A and 1B and maybe 1C versus simply option 1.

Edit: So to your question, I guess the answer is yes. However, I think that basically applies to all of our players. That's part of the reason I think it's done by committee to some extent. Not to say Danny is not always an option obviously.
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 10-11-2010 at 08:03 AM.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Danny struggles getting his own shot, and he's been slacking on defense and has other weaknesses.

But I have been greatly, pleasantly surprised at how good he is at the end of games. Extremely clutch, in my opinion.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Banned

I understand your point but I think the pacers issues in last second shots are not because they don't have the talent but because coaching is bad at drawing plays.

I think that one guy that is going to have a chance to do this for the pacers is going to be Collison he is the robin for our Batman(at least we hope)

Edit:answer to bluengold
    Last edited by vnzla81; 10-11-2010 at 08:13 AM.

I understand your point but I think the pacers issues in last second shots are not because they don't have the talent but because coaching is bad at drawing plays.

I think that one guy that is going to have a chance to do this for the pacers is going to be Collison he is the robin for our Batman(at least we hope)

Edit:answer to bluengold
    I think that's part of it. We know it has to be either the players or coaches because we have not exactly been tearing it up. As for Danny, no, I don't think he's particularly clutch...but at least he's unafraid. There is a long list of players in the NBA who would be better at that role simply because they can handle the ball better and might be quicker. I'm thinking guards.