View Poll Results: Which player should play over the other? (Get the backup role)

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dahntay Jones

    10 14.71%
  • Brandon Rush

    58 85.29%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 96

Thread: Dahntay Jones or Brandon Rush

  1. #1
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Dahntay Jones or Brandon Rush

    Mike will probably get the starting SG spot for the first few weeks into the season.

    What about the backup SG spot.

    Brandon and Dahntay are both really good 1-on-1 defenders.

    Dahntay can score more though, but Brandon can shoot and get it in once in a while.

  2. #2
    Member lil lebowsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    40

    Default Re: Dahntay Jones or Brandon Rush

    That's a good question. I was more impressed with Dahntay's minutes last year than Brandon Rush's. It appeared as if Dahntay played harder, however sometimes i think that he forced too many shots. Brandon plays a much more controlled game offensively, and it's about a wash defensively. I think that Dahntay is a better ball handler and better at getting to the rim and drawing fouls. Rush is clearly the better shooter.

    I think the fact that Rush is durable and can shoot for a good percentage from deep will allow him to get more minutes at the 2. I personally like Dahntay's game better, but I still feel that he will be dealt sometime this year.

    I'm really not in love with either player, the both have their shortcomings. Rush only shot about 64% last year from the free throw line, plus he doesn't draw fouls that much at all. He seems to just go thru the motions out there, and on most teams he would be on the bench. Jones appears to play hard on both sides of the ball, however his shot is awful. I've seen him throw up a lot of bricks, and sometimes he can hurt the team by taking those bad shots. So either way having 2 average shooting guards on a team loaded with wing players appears to be too many for me. I assume one will be dealt this year, especially since it appears our front court will need some help on the boards.

    Oh and btw, I think that Paul George was a fine pick, and i really think in the next couple of seasons he will become the starer, and he will be the starter for many years to come. Go Pacers!

  3. #3
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,911

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dahntay Jones or Brandon Rush

    Rush, Rush, Rush, 1,000 times Rush.

    DJones has a horrible basketball IQ, and has a serious case of black hole syndrome. I hate watching him.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  4. #4
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,296

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dahntay Jones or Brandon Rush

    I'm not going to answer this poll because neither one of them should get the backup role.

    Rush should be the starter with Paul George backing him up.

    Dahntay shouldn't ever play.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:


  6. #5
    crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,351

    Default Re: Dahntay Jones or Brandon Rush

    Well it seems like Brandon is on his way out due to his personal problems so I'd play him at the backup to prove that he is still a good defender.

    Basically to showcase him.

  7. #6
    PROUD 2 B A PACERS FAN! xtacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    TURKEY
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,748

    Default Re: Dahntay Jones or Brandon Rush

    i chose rush just because there isn't a neither option.

  8. #7
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,102

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dahntay Jones or Brandon Rush

    This shouldn't even be up for debate. DJ is incredibly overrated as a defender and is a poor offensive player. Rush is an incredibly underrated defender and is in no way a worse offensive player than Jones.

  9. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Dahntay Jones or Brandon Rush

    I am not choosing anybody either I want Rush to be the starter with PG as the back up, Dunleavy and DJ shouldn't even be playing significant minutes.

  10. #9
    Member Hibbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Stay at ya mammy house
    Age
    32
    Posts
    976

    Default Re: Dahntay Jones or Brandon Rush

    What does anybody see in Rush? What has he done here? He will continue to be just awful. I would rather see AJ Price at the 2. Due to his size, I dont think we will ever get to see that. I always hear everyone saying how good Rush is on defense. Rush played more minutes than anyone else on the team did last year yet only managed 56 steals. How is that good defense? Mike played exactly 1005 minutes less than Brandon and finished with 38 steals. Also Rush in that time had 112 assists, Mike with 103 and Rush with 774 points, Mike 666. I dont like any of our options at the two and I only like Dun coming off the bench. Lance would be my choice. I would like to see what he is capable of doing starting, tired of seeing Mike and Brandon not getting the job done.

  11. #10
    High Flyers ThA HoyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pasco, wa
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,513

    Default Re: Dahntay Jones or Brandon Rush

    Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well it seems like Brandon is on his way out due to his personal problems so I'd play him at the backup to prove that he is still a good defender.

    Basically to showcase him.
    What do you mean on his way out??

    I'd still start rush because he is willing to take a backseat to the other options on the floor. However he can still contribute without scoring, rebounding, blocking shots, and good 1-1 defense. If mike starts he is going to be the 4th option. If mike isn't scoring his contributions don't outway rush's. Bring him off the bench to give that second unit more scoring but better yet a veteran presence on the floor.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to ThA HoyA For This Useful Post:


  13. #11
    High Flyers ThA HoyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pasco, wa
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,513

    Default Re: Dahntay Jones or Brandon Rush

    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What does anybody see in Rush? What has he done here? He will continue to be just awful. I would rather see AJ Price at the 2. Due to his size, I dont think we will ever get to see that. I always hear everyone saying how good Rush is on defense. Rush played more minutes than anyone else on the team did last year yet only managed 56 steals. How is that good defense? Mike played exactly 1005 minutes less than Brandon and finished with 38 steals. Also Rush in that time had 112 assists, Mike with 103 and Rush with 774 points, Mike 666. I dont like any of our options at the two and I only like Dun coming off the bench. Lance would be my choice. I would like to see what he is capable of doing starting, tired of seeing Mike and Brandon not getting the job done.
    If we go off of "steals" then iverson was one of the best defenders of all time.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThA HoyA For This Useful Post:


  15. #12
    Member Hibbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Stay at ya mammy house
    Age
    32
    Posts
    976

    Default Re: Dahntay Jones or Brandon Rush

    Quote Originally Posted by ThA HoyA View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If we go off of "steals" then iverson was one of the best defenders of all time.
    Allen Iverson in his prime was a very good defender. He led the league in steals three straight seasons. Man to man he was not a great defender but he gambled and played the passing lanes very well.

  16. #13
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dahntay Jones or Brandon Rush

    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What does anybody see in Rush?
    Too many people think offense is the only way to judge a player. PPG the only way to gauge success. This article covers what I'm able to see with my eyes watching the games. If you're not watching the games or have much of an understanding of defense you'll miss this.

    http://alwaysmillertime.com/2010/07/...sh-an-apology/
    Last edited by xBulletproof; 10-10-2010 at 12:45 PM.

  17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:


  18. #14
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Dahntay Jones or Brandon Rush

    The only thing D. Jones has on Rush is a willingness to attack the basket. Otherwise, it's all Rush, AFAIC.

  19. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Dahntay Jones or Brandon Rush

    Here is a nice way to describe what Rush brings to the team that no many people see.


    In this admittedly small sample size, Rush’s numbers compare quite favorably. His TO% is low in almost every category but his Points per Possession numbers and FG% allowed are quite impressive. In fact he was tied with Dwyane Wade for the second best overall Points Per Possession allowed. Another surprise was Ron Artest. For all the talk about him losing a step, it’s clear from these numbers that Ron Artest continues to be among the best, if not the best, perimeter defender in the game.

    While these numbers don’t directly correlate to Rush’s effect on the team defense, they speak volumes about the type of potential he has at this end of the floor. There has been a lot of talk about his lack of confidence and aggressiveness effecting his offensive game, but I would argue that improvement in those two mental aspects could transform him into a legitimate defensive force. Either way, he appears to be a much better defensive player than I gave him credit for.

    Brandon, I am sorry I doubted you. Keep up the terrific work at the defensive end!

  20. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Dahntay Jones or Brandon Rush

    I am pretty sure that if he had a player like Bruce Bowen that only average 6 points per game(career) many people here would be asking for his head and still take Dunleavy over him , I don't know if people understand that there is more to basketball than offense.

  21. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dahntay Jones or Brandon Rush

    Cleary the way back to prosperity for the Pacers is by continuing to start a poor mans Quinton Ross. I wouldn't invest any more time or effort into Brandon Rush seeing as how he's not only an unproductive player, but also a substance abuser. I'd try to move him for a 2nd and give all the back-up SG minutes to George and Stephenson, with MDJ as the obvious starter.

  22. #18
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Dahntay Jones or Brandon Rush

    Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cleary the way back to prosperity for the Pacers is by continuing to start a poor mans Quinton Ross. I wouldn't invest any more time or effort into Brandon Rush seeing as how he's not only an unproductive player,
    http://alwaysmillertime.com/2010/07/...sh-an-apology/

  23. #19
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dahntay Jones or Brandon Rush

    Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cleary the way back to prosperity for the Pacers is by continuing to start a poor mans Quinton Ross. I wouldn't invest any more time or effort into Brandon Rush seeing as how he's not only an unproductive player, but also a substance abuser. I'd try to move him for a 2nd and give all the back-up SG minutes to George and Stephenson, with MDJ as the obvious starter.
    Wow, I love how you use Rush's drug problem as reasoning to yank his minutes. Yet giving them to Stephenson, who's accused in a court of law of pushing a woman down stairs.

    Talk about hypocrisy.

  24. #20

    Default Re: Dahntay Jones or Brandon Rush

    Rush. It's a really easy decision too.

    Although, I'd consider starting Rush and taking Dun off the bench for some more offensive power off the bench.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


  26. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,150

    Default Re: Dahntay Jones or Brandon Rush

    Yes, the way to judge a young player is by LAST year. (rolls eyes)

    I have been as impressed by Brandon in the limited video practice highlights as anyone that isn't Roy Hibbert.
    He has looked aggressive on offense and very active and tough on defense.
    I doubt they WANT to dump him, and I don't think the public reaction will be enough to make them dump him.
    I think this has all been a slap in the face with a cold fish for this kid.
    Unless he's hopeless (and I've never gotten the impression this is a stupid guy) he realizes he put 10's of millions of dollars in earnings at stake for puffing up with his buddies.
    The average NBA career is 4.7 years.
    There will be 50 years POST nba to burn whatever you want (and afford the best of the best) if you can keep your nose clean for a few years now.

    I expect him to be a very big beneficiary of our new more balanced lineup and playing with DC.
    I see growth in the kids game and I think he might be one of the most improved players this year. (along with Roy)

  27. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,150

    Default Re: Dahntay Jones or Brandon Rush

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow, I love how you use Rush's drug problem as reasoning to yank his minutes. Yet giving them to Stephenson, who's accused in a court of law of pushing a woman down stairs.

    Talk about hypocrisy.
    welllllll, what's the problem? Don't you know that Stephenson has mad skillz and that overrides anything he did?

  28. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Dahntay Jones or Brandon Rush

    Again why the question is back up role? what has Dunleavy done to get the starting job?

  29. #24
    Member Hibbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Stay at ya mammy house
    Age
    32
    Posts
    976

    Default Re: Dahntay Jones or Brandon Rush

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Too many people think offense is the only way to judge a player. PPG the only way to gauge success. This article covers what I'm able to see with my eyes watching the games. If you're not watching the games or have much of an understanding of defense you'll miss this.

    http://alwaysmillertime.com/2010/07/...sh-an-apology/
    Who said anything about offense? I clearly stated defense. Here is what John Hollinger states on Brandon Rush's espn player profile page. Interesting. You can see this if you have espn insider. http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/playe...?playerId=3457

    For those that can't view it here it is:
    + Solid wing defender with good athleticism. Will block shots. Intensity an issue.

    + Has solid, high-arcing lefty jumper and can finish in transition.

    + Oddly passive on offensive. Has few ball skills and never draws fouls.

    As I pointed out at the end of last season, Rush may be the worst player ever to lead his team in minutes, posting a sub-10 PER for a second straight season. At times you wondered whether he was so invisible that the coaches forgot to take him out.

    There's some talent hiding, however. Rush nailed 41.1 percent of his 3s, is a solid defender who was third at his position in blocks per minute and possesses NBA athleticism. Alas, his in-game Houdini acts are legendary. Only four shooting guards had a lower usage rate, and only three drew fouls less often. Rush has the ability to be a very solid player, but he's 25 and he still isn't any good. His offseason may offer a hint as to why -- Rush will open the season with a five-game suspension for a violation of the league's substance-abuse policy.

  30. #25
    Member Hibbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Stay at ya mammy house
    Age
    32
    Posts
    976

    Default Re: Dahntay Jones or Brandon Rush

    Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, the way to judge a young player is by LAST year. (rolls eyes)

    I have been as impressed by Brandon in the limited video practice highlights as anyone that isn't Roy Hibbert.
    He has looked aggressive on offense and very active and tough on defense.
    I doubt they WANT to dump him, and I don't think the public reaction will be enough to make them dump him.
    I think this has all been a slap in the face with a cold fish for this kid.
    Unless he's hopeless (and I've never gotten the impression this is a stupid guy) he realizes he put 10's of millions of dollars in earnings at stake for puffing up with his buddies.
    The average NBA career is 4.7 years.
    There will be 50 years POST nba to burn whatever you want (and afford the best of the best) if you can keep your nose clean for a few years now.

    I expect him to be a very big beneficiary of our new more balanced lineup and playing with DC.
    I see growth in the kids game and I think he might be one of the most improved players this year. (along with Roy)
    What did Brandon do the year before last year? What happened this offseason? Clearly his mind is not on basketball as has shown on the court. Three failed drug tests. Three not one. He has not grown up, he is 25 already, Lance is only 20. What's your point? They both have something to prove but we have been waiting on Brandon for three years now.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-05-2010, 12:53 AM
  2. Dahntay Jones nick name...
    By focused444 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 07-10-2009, 03:02 PM
  3. Remember the Name: Brandon Rush
    By rocksballer58 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 04-08-2009, 10:20 AM
  4. Was Fred Jones the right draft choice in the 2002 draft?
    By Will Galen in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-02-2004, 06:13 AM
  5. Freddie Jones making his mark, article out of Oregon
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-14-2004, 11:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •