Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Odd Thoughts: First home Pre-season game of 2010 [The Front Page]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Thoughts: First home Pre-season game of 2010 [The Front Page]

First of all I want to make certain that we all understand that everything I am going to type tonight must be read with the understanding that this was the first home pre-season game of the year. In other words what we saw during the game may or may not be what we see during . . . → Read More: Odd Thoughts: First home Pre-season game of 2010

More...
    *beeps*

Re: Odd Thoughts: First home Pre-season game of 2010 [The Front Page]

vince did give us a weird look he stared for about 5 seconds lol. with a puzzled look.

I took that posey was talktive in he huddle which i liked. and that if VC is open he isnt gonna miss much(so how bout we dont let him get wide open looks)
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 10-09-2010, 03:15 AM.

Comment

you know this might explain why it looked like why Vince was trying tonight.

PROPS to my man TJ soldiering on. he's been great.

Comment

I missed the fourth quarter, so kep in mind what I am saying applies to the first thre quarter

I thought Granger's shot selection was beyond bad. I udnerstand he's the best ofensive player we have, but so many times I thought he took bad shots. Won't suggest he was being selfish, but really Dunleavy not getinga shot until the third quarter?

The starting 5 is very interesting. Between Mike, Roy and Josh we have three excellent passers, all who can make the pass that leads to a score. I like the combo of Josh and Roy I think that wil be better than roy and Tyler.

Defense looked OK at best.

Comment

Originally posted by Unclebuck View Post
          I missed the fourth quarter, so kep in mind what I am saying applies to the first thre quarter

I thought Granger's shot selection was beyond bad. I udnerstand he's the best ofensive player we have, but so many times I thought he took bad shots. Won't suggest he was being selfish, but really Dunleavy not getinga shot until the third quarter?

The starting 5 is very interesting. Between Mike, Roy and Josh we have three excellent passers, all who can make the pass that leads to a score. I like the combo of Josh and Roy I think that wil be better than roy and Tyler.

Defense looked OK at best.
          So it's improved from last season?
          It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by Unclebuck View Post
            what I am saying applies to the first thre quarter
            UB, your textspeak is difficult to decipher.

"Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference

Comment

Peck, I appreciate you giving props to Dwight Howard for his interaction with the fans, etc. We get so wrapped up in basketball, we sometimes forget that there is a more important world beyond it. Dwight is doing us all a great service by being a great ambassador for the NBA and basketball at large.

Let's talk about Collison and this thing of "our system isn't designed for point guards to make assists." That's the second or third time I've heard this.

What the freak is that supposed to mean? Aren't all systems supposed to be designed to have the offense take the highest percentage shot possible? Doesn't that almost always come from a pass to the open man? If our system isn't designed to lead to the open man getting the pass, should we not change the system?

I really don't get it. In a similar vein, what I have seen so far does not convince me that Collison will be a good pass-first point guard. He can score, and it's fun to watch him penetrate (thanks Clark), but I am hoping to see more passes leading to an excellent shot, especially since our projected starting five has a bunch of great passers.
              "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference

Comment

Did anyone else see Paetz interview Dwight after the game, he was great and friendly and then she asked him about what he thought about Roy's improvement, his whole demeanor changed, he lost his positive tone of voice and said something like, "You know, he had an OK game tonight, but when they lights come on, that's what it's really all about, come regular season, then we'll see." And that was it...Is Dwight starting to develop the "Shaq complex" that all other centers must bow before his greatness or is he still bitter from the game where Roy lit him up like a Christmas tree?

Comment

Originally posted by Trader Joe View Post
                  Did anyone else see Paetz interview Dwight after the game, he was great and friendly and then she asked him about what he thought about Roy's improvement, his whole demeanor changed, he lost his positive tone of voice and said something like, "You know, he had an OK game tonight, but when they lights come on, that's what it's really all about, come regular season, then we'll see." And that was it...Is Dwight starting to develop the "Shaq complex" that all other centers must bow before his greatness or is he still bitter from the game where Roy lit him up like a Christmas tree?
                  Yeah, I saw that.

I think its good. I think Dwight doesn't want to give Roy too many props. Roy's not a youngin needing encouragement anymore. He's arguably a true competitor now.

Also, Dwight is being careful not to throw around accolades. Preseason, whatever. Let's see it when it counts.

Comment

Originally posted by McKeyFan View Post
                    Yeah, I saw that.

I think its good. I think Dwight doesn't want to give Roy too many props. Roy's not a youngin needing encouragement anymore. He's arguably a true competitor now.

Also, Dwight is being careful not to throw around accolades. Preseason, whatever. Let's see it when it counts.
                    I seen that too! I was like Oooh Howard giving Stacy the "eh whatever" when it comes to Hibbert. Might be a bit of a rivalry developing, becuase Roy has been able to get him in Foul Trouble the past few games I believe.

Or maybe it was, well I put my shoulder into him and he fell down. Weightroom!
                    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Comment

I find myself deflated today. I had higher hopes for the Pacers even at this early stage, and having seen them actually playing, in person, the following stood out for me. I recognize that the game would have been played much differently if it had been a regular season game, possibly resulting in better overall play due to the players playing for longer periods together, but I still thought things would be better than they actually are on the court.

For the first quarter, the ball at least moved sometimes, though not always, and players seemed to move without the ball unless the play was for Roy to shoot his hook shot, and not always very effectively even taking Howard's presence out of the equation.

I don't think I have ever seen Granger look less engaged mentally, and he looks like he has lost a step from a quickness standpoint. If this is what he brought to Team USA, no wonder he did not sniff the floor. He almost seems as if there are major things going on in his personal life at the moment that keep him from being able to concentrate, but who knows? His performance is a huge concern for the success of the franchise, and I also wonder if he is having a difficult time handling the pressure of that aspect of his role with the Pacers.

Otherwise, we saw very specific things being displayed by Jim O'Brien for the home fans.

First, Hibbert got passes down low even against Howard (shouldn't be surprising because Roy did OK against Howard last year, too). What he was able to do with them ranged from OK to "where is the improvement that we have been promised?" or "What Would Walton Do?".

Second, McRoberts was shown to be a high post passer, not a three point chucker, despite not being actually involved in the offense as much as I would have expected for the "best player in camp".

Third, Collison was shown to be a score first, pass second point guard who will probably get time due to being able to finish in traffic where Ford hasn't been able to. Also, yes, Collison plays PnR, but the rest of the team isn't very effective at that yet due to not utilizing it much in the past.

In my very likely lonely opinion, AJ Price should start at the point guard position. He is just better than Collison at this point due to his ability to involve teammates in the offense more than Collison, and overall seems to have a much better feel for the game. I know it won't go that way, but it should in my opinion, despite Collison being the "chosen one" at the point, when I view him basically as TJ Ford + PnR = Collison.

"Born Ready" was not close to ready, other than ready to shoot at any opportunity. Seems a step slow compared to what I expected, but that might be the conditioning gap that has happened that O'Brien referred to as a result of his ongoing off court issues. He also is clueless about anything but scoring in my opinion. But, off the bench, he could put up points in a hurry if that is what is needed against an opponent's second string. Just better hope they don't run right through him and score even more.

Paul George is who Bird said he was, and likely not a contributor for quite a while. He is not ready to play NBA basketball, and it is not surprising that he was second team All-WAC instead of first. I won't mind at all if he sees the same limited minutes that our rookies have in past years, or possibly fewer, because he just isn't aware of his surroundings on the court, especially on offense. He does play some defense, though.

Magnum at least seemed mentally prepared to play basketball even if he overall wasn't terribly effective. He was the second best pf on the floor for the Pacers last night behind McRoberts (I don't count Solomon Jones because I believe the Pacers will buy him out despite his effectiveness in the game last night when the team played a little defense).

Hansbrough did the best he could given the circumstances of not having been on a basketball court playing actual basketball for as long as it has been, but he is a long way from being a contributor except in select second string stints for short periods at a time, but that is to be expected. My guess is that Hansbrough will be brought along quickly and be the starter by Thanksgiving because of Josh not being placed in a position to succeed despite being gushed over by O'Brien in the media so far during the preseason.

The guys did exactly as they were being told to, and hopefully they will improve during the rest of the preseason.

Side note. The officials flexed their muscles with respect to the players not being able to react to questionable calls. Neither technical that was called on the players would have even been a blip on the officials' radar prior to now, and both were completely ridiculous calls. The techs on O'Brien and Van Gundy were both well deserved, and O'Brien actually should get a little extra credit for standing up for his guys in the face of a little questionable officiating and being demonstrative enough with his ball kick that he might end up getting a little extra fine from the league out of the deal. Van Gundy's was pretty laughable with the Magic "clinging" to a 15 point margin that was not being threatened whatsoever in a completely meaningless preseason game for the Magic. The final score was much closer than the game actually was.

Comment

Peck, I appreciate you giving props to Dwight Howard for his interaction with the fans, etc. We get so wrapped up in basketball, we sometimes forget that there is a more important world beyond it. Dwight is doing us all a great service by being a great ambassador for the NBA and basketball at large.

Let's talk about Collison and this thing of "our system isn't designed for point guards to make assists." That's the second or third time I've heard this.

What the freak is that supposed to mean? Aren't all systems supposed to be designed to have the offense take the highest percentage shot possible? Doesn't that almost always come from a pass to the open man? If our system isn't designed to lead to the open man getting the pass, should we not change the system?

I really don't get it. In a similar vein, what I have seen so far does not convince me that Collison will be a good pass-first point guard. He can score, and it's fun to watch him penetrate (thanks Clark), but I am hoping to see more passes leading to an excellent shot, especially since our projected starting five has a bunch of great passers.
                        Because in this offense, if there's no transition, the ball is taken out of the PGs hands quickly, and everyone shares in the passing to get a good shot. So often times, the next time the PG gets the ball is typically for a shot (or a bail out) Basically, the PG doesn't create much in this offense.

Then you add in the fact that Collison is a score first PG anyway. AND he's on the floor with three fantastic passers (Josh, Dun and Roy) So even if Collison does set Josh up, Josh might pass to someone else for a better shot. And in AJ's case, even if AJ makes a pass to set someone up for a shot, the rest of the bench leaves a lot to be desired in terms of shooting percentage..so the odds of an assist are not good. :P

So I wouldn't judge either's assist numbers because their job in this offense is the same as everyone else's..to move the ball to get a good shot and to score. (Of course, they have the added on "bail out")

Also, I agree completely about Josh. I think without him our offense stalls because he's such a fantastic passer. He also bring a lot of energy (and defense) to the table.

edit: Starting PGs? Well you know I'd like that :P But seriously, a motion offense isn't going to showcase Collison, whereas AJ can fit in any offense you'd like to throw him in. He's also had a year of experience in it. I'm not quite sure which would be the better fit in terms of which one should start v. which one should come off the bench. However, I think when it matters, we'll see both in the game. As both are better scorers than Rush, and better defenders than Dun, and you know how much JOB likes to have an extra small backcourt. :P For right now, I can tell that AJ isn't 100% (He's not able to jump as high, he's a little slower, and he looks like he doesn't have as much stamina), and so it'd just be better to give Collison more minutes. To me though, it's just a matter of who is a better fit with which group. Collison may be a better fit with the starters because Roy, Josh, Dun/Rush (And I hope Rush ends up starting, because I think Dun is better off the bench) are such good starters, that his job there will definitely be to score. But then you could also say that Collison might be better off the bench to provide a scoring punch. Regardless, it's not a bad problem to have. I think you could argue that last night our two point guards were the best two players on the floor, when's the last time that was said?
                        Last edited by Sookie; 10-09-2010, 12:41 PM.

Comment

The highest percentage shot possible will likely still come from a pass to the open man, but the one making that pass very well could be someone other than the PG. This is a passing offense, and with two very good passing big men, no less, who will both touch the ball often. Usually because the PG gives them the ball.

If the ball comes back to the PG, it's usually in a position where the PG is primed to either take an open shot or attack the defense himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Hicks View Post
                            The highest percentage shot possible will likely still come from a pass to the open man, but the one making that pass very well could be someone other than the PG. This is a passing offense, and with two very good passing big men, no less, who will both touch the ball often. Usually because the PG gives them the ball.

If the ball comes back to the PG, it's usually in a position where the PG is primed to either take an open shot or attack the defense himself.
                            I'm cool with that.

But it seemed to me last night that Collison and A.J. didn't pass much and just went to the hole and their own and tried to finish.

Obviously, could be the yips of preseason. I liked it the few times the ball got to the big men, but it didn't seem often enough to me, and Dun passed it inside as much as the points.

Comment

I'm cool with that.

But it seemed to me last night that Collison and A.J. didn't pass much and just went to the hole and their own and tried to finish.

Obviously, could be the yips of preseason. I liked it the few times the ball got to the big men, but it didn't seem often enough to me, and Dun passed it inside as much as the points.
                              That's their job though. They do it later in the shot clock to get off a shot. I think JOB wants his PGs to score. I watched Price play for years (obviously :P) and I can say that honestly, whatever he's doing on offense is what the coach wants him to do. Then add in the fact that Collison is doing the exact same thing..

I think there will be more ball movement when the rotation isn't as large, and starters and bench are mixed. However, I still believe we'll see both of them looking to score.

Comment

Working...
                              X