Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Odd Thoughts: First home Pre-season game of 2010 [The Front Page]

Default Re: Odd Thoughts: First home Pre-season game of 2010 [The Front Page]

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did anyone else see Paetz interview Dwight after the game, he was great and friendly and then she asked him about what he thought about Roy's improvement, his whole demeanor changed, he lost his positive tone of voice and said something like, "You know, he had an OK game tonight, but when they lights come on, that's what it's really all about, come regular season, then we'll see." And that was it...Is Dwight starting to develop the "Shaq complex" that all other centers must bow before his greatness or is he still bitter from the game where Roy lit him up like a Christmas tree?
    Shaq at least deserved to be that arrogant. Even in his first and second seasons in the league, Hall of Fame bigs still in their primes (Olajuwan, Ewing, Robinson) could not stop him from scoring on most nights. Neither could at the time young bigs, who one day may get in to the Hall of Fame themselves one day (Mourning, Mutombo), slow him down. Shaq wouldn't go 2 for 8 against Roy. Not even in a meaningless preseason game.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Did anyone else see Paetz interview Dwight after the game, he was great and friendly and then she asked him about what he thought about Roy's improvement, his whole demeanor changed, he lost his positive tone of voice and said something like, "You know, he had an OK game tonight, but when they lights come on, that's what it's really all about, come regular season, then we'll see." And that was it...Is Dwight starting to develop the "Shaq complex" that all other centers must bow before his greatness or is he still bitter from the game where Roy lit him up like a Christmas tree?
    My wife and I were watching that and both us thought, "What a weird question for her to ask." I'm a big Stacy Paetz fan, but why the hell would Dwight Howard follow or care about Hibbert's progress over the summer?

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    alot of words there. We led at half-time. Take away vince getting hot and one giant run and the game would have been very close. You obviously put effort into this so i won't criticize to much, however your being pretty negative and opinionated about the second preseason game.Your seriously ready to start dissing our second year point guard a week into learning the system, and seeing him play once. If you plant a garden you won't get vegetables in a day.
    To put things succinctly:

1st quarter showed promise.

The rest of the game, the best part of the Pacers play came from AJ Price, the only pg who apparently has the audacity to play the game as a 1 instead of as a 2. He will likely end up 3rd on the depth chart when he is actually the best of the 3.

Collison was being used as a 2 that brought the ball up the court as O'B does, with the PnR added in.

Hopefully this was better.

Mood

AJ was looking for his shot just as much as collison was...

Yea I'm going to have to kind of go with daschysta here. Neither p.g. was pretending to be Mark Jackson last night and because the way our offense is structured it will continue to be that way.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    and because the way our offense is structured it will continue to be that way.
    Everybody keeps saying that, but is our offense structured for the point guard, about 50 percent of the time, not to pass but just dribble penetrate, drive or pull up for a jumper with no passes?

Okay, maybe he makes one pass on the perimeter and gets it right back, then does the above. Doesn't look like a "passing offense" to me.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

I still think COllison has to be the starter, and it's not even a difficult decision IMO. DC is much more dynamic than AJ, I don't mean that as a slight at AJ either who is still extremely quick for a guy with knee injuries like he has. Not to mention AJ is an underrated ball handler, but Collison is ridiculous fast and has the ability to change direction at the drop of the hat. AJ just can't match him in those categories and so far DC's jumper hasn't held him back at all.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Everybody keeps saying that, but is our offense structured for the point guard, about 50 percent of the time, not to pass but just dribble penetrate, drive or pull up for a jumper with no passes?

Okay, maybe he makes one pass on the perimeter and gets it right back, then does the above. Doesn't look like a "passing offense" to me.
    No it just means that plays often FINISH with the PG penetrating if no other open shots/ oppurtunities are found. So yes, it is a passing offense, as opposed to an offense where the point guard pounds the ball and then makes the pass without other movement.

Lots of assists are generated from it, just they are spread around, as opposed to focused on the PG.

Point guards in the triangle offense don't get many assists either but it is certainly a ball movement happy offense. luckily for us, we have good passers besides the point guard, so it might work, time will tell. the offense will look better regardless due to Darrens superior finishing and shooting ability anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post

The offense is set up to take the quickest open shot available.
    So it leaves the PGs hands pretty quickly. If that person doesn't shoot, then the next opportunity where the PG gets the ball, is most likely in a situation to shoot or score..(or bail out)

as for Starter, DC is more athletic than AJ, but I think AJ is more effective, and will continue to be more effective, with running this particular offense. So it's just a matter of what do we want and when. Is the fact that AJ is more steady but less athletic better for the bench..which is full of younger more dynamic players. Or would it be better to have the "explosive athleteic sparkplug PG" off the bench? Personally, I think there is an argument either way. And I don't think the Pacers could go wrong either way. (Unless of course Ford starts taking their minutes. And its amazing really, Ford is so likeable when he's on the bench and representing the Pacers off the court..)

And all that said, I'm not going to be shocked if at the end of games, we end up with both of them in the game. And I don't know whether I'm looking forward to that, or scared of it. But it's JOB so we'll see it. :P
    Last edited by Sookie; 10-09-2010 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    And all that said, I'm not going to be shocked if at the end of games, we end up with both of them in the game. And I don't know whether I'm looking forward to that, or scared of it. But it's JOB so we'll see it. :P
    Anyone besides me not know what :P means?

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    Sorry, it's a smiley that apparently doesn't show up with just typing.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Once DC dumps on people they will collapse on him when he drives, thus opening passing lanes. And ultimately getting others involved.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    Turn your head 90 degrees and look at it sideways. It's two eyes and a mouth with the tongue sticking out.

:P