Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stern Seeks To Relieve The Burden Of Bad Contracts

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Default Re: Stern Seeks To Relieve The Burden Of Bad Contracts

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh lord, I will take what we have currently over this idea. If you want to sign Joe Johnson to 122 million bucks for 7 yrs you should have to own that. That makes the strategy and league overall more interesting IMO. The get out of jail free card for bad franchises is lame.
    While that makes sense, 122 million is too much for an employee no matter who you are. I don't like the unguarunteed contracts and all of that but I think that the overall amount of cash being given to the players needs to be lowered. Set the cap lower and lower the Max contract and MLE would be amazing for the NBA. Of course if that happened all the players would be on strike.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    While that makes sense, 122 million is too much for an employee no matter who you are. I don't like the unguarunteed contracts and all of that but I think that the overall amount of cash being given to the players needs to be lowered. Set the cap lower and lower the Max contract and MLE would be amazing for the NBA. Of course if that happened all the players would be on strike.
    It is all about supply and demand. Truth be told, in the NBA, with a cap the salaries are artificially low. How much would these guys get on a open market? 200 million?

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    It is all about supply and demand. Truth be told, in the NBA, with a cap the salaries are artificially low. How much would these guys get on a open market? 200 million?
    Of course, but these owners have to eventually stop.. They know that they are being hassled by the NBPA and they need put their feet down.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think the most likely solution is another "Allan Houston exemption" (probably named the Gilbert Arenas exemption in this CBA). Basically, the player gets paid but their salary doesn't count against the cap.

So Arenas would get every penny of the $62.4 million owed to him, but the Wiz don't have to count it against their salary cap. While that type of thing would hurt the Pacers, they could still use it on Dahntay Jones or James Posey and still benefit.

The only reason we are talking about this is be us as fans will pay crazy money for tickets and merchandise.

No offense to any of these athletes but the top basketball player shouldn't be worth more then 2-3 million per year tops. We are taking the hit so these guys can buy yachts and live lavish life styles. How mice would it be to have ticket prices cut by a third. How many more games would you attend.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by dohman View Post
    The only reason we are talking about this is be us as fans will pay crazy money for tickets and merchandise.

No offense to any of these athletes but the top basketball player shouldn't be worth more then 2-3 million per year tops. We are taking the hit so these guys can buy yachts and live lavish life styles. How mice would it be to have ticket prices cut by a third. How many more games would you attend.
    Remember, pro sports are part of the entertainment industry. Top actors and actresses demand $10 million (and more) per movie. The Friends cast famously got $1 million per episode (approximately $20 million for that season apiece). The top basketball, baseball, football, hockey, etc. will make that much based on the industry. It's just how it works.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Anything to help the Knicks out, I see.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    Anything to help the Knicks out, I see.
    Knicks dont have any bad contracts now that Curry is expiring.

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    They did have the time a gew years ago where one contract wasn't applied to the cap/luxury tax. I would think the players' union would fight this if it meant non-guaranteed conracts ala the NFL.
    I'm not totally clear on the NFL structure. Can someone answer this for me? If a player gets cut in the NFL, is the team completely relieved of the outstanding contracted amount? Or do they still have to pay the remaining amount, only, the outstanding balance doesn't count against the salary cap?

Quote Originally Posted by dohman View Post

LOL, do you really think you as the patron would pay that much less to attend games if all players were making less money. Thats not how business works, they set the prices at what they think the public will pay and how much they need to pay the expenses.

I look at this as Stern wanting teams to be able to buy out bad contracts for less money. An example would be if a player signs a 5 year deal the first 3 years guaranteed with the team able to buy out the last 2 years for 25% or something and a player gets his release papers able to sign with anyone else for whatever amount. This would hold players more accountable.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

That seems like the most reasonable conclusion: partially guaranteed contracts. You can cut a player loose for a minimum percentage of their remaining salary.

%50 might do it. I don't see the players agreeing to any less.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by aceace View Post
    I look at this as Stern wanting teams to be able to buy out bad contracts for less money. An example would be if a player signs a 5 year deal the first 3 years guaranteed with the team able to buy out the last 2 years for 25% or something and a player gets his release papers able to sign with anyone else for whatever amount. This would hold players more accountable.
    On the flip side, it'd hold the GMs less accountable.

There needs to be a balance between protecting GMs from themselves and limiting their ability to make disastrous mistakes and allowing enough room for shrewd decision-making and best management practices making a difference. Plus, limiting the earnings + safety of the best players too much would make the league too vulnerable to outside competitors + give teams in markets with larger endorsement opportunities a larger advantage.

I'd like to see the maximum extension of contracts going down from 6/5 to 5/4 and the use of the MLE limited to once every 2 years, while giving teams the ability to spend the LLE every season. That should be enough. Also, allow a different use of the D-League, allow teams to fill the last 3 spots of the roster with D-League players making smaller salaries.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Knicks dont have any bad contracts now that Curry is expiring.
    True, but this further promotes their habit of spending recklessly due to their access to income above and beyond that of smaller market teams. This harms those teams who succeed by making prudent business decisions. Voiding underperforming contracts will drive simple economic principles;

1.) It will saturate the FA market with bidders, which essentially drives up price.
    2.) Less risk = higher price. Wouldn't you be willing to pay more for a player if you knew you could void the deal if you choose so down the road? .

Smaller market teams will not only have to compete more often with more lucrative destinations (NY, LA, CGO), but they will also have to pay higher prices.

If you give Eddy Curry $80M then that's your own damn fault. I see no reason small market teams should suffer from that poor decision making.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    I'm not totally clear on the NFL structure. Can someone answer this for me? If a player gets cut in the NFL, is the team completely relieved of the outstanding contracted amount? Or do they still have to pay the remaining amount, only, the outstanding balance doesn't count against the salary cap?
    It's a mix. Say a guy signs a 5 year deal. In the NFL there are 2 numbers to look for, the overall salary, and the part of the yearly salary that's guaranteed. For simplicity purposes we'll say it's set up like this, the guy signed a 5 year deal for 15 million, and 5 million is guaranteed.

Year 1 - 3 million overall, 1 million of guaranteed money
    Year 2 - 3 million overall, 1 million of guaranteed money
    Year 3 - 3 million overall, 1 million of guaranteed money
    Year 4 - 3 million overall, 1 million of guaranteed money
    Year 5 - 3 million overall, 1 million of guaranteed money

Numbers aren't always this evened out, and all that, but I'm doing it for simplicity reasons.

Lets say you want to cut this player in the preseason of Year 4. There's still 1 million in guaranteed money owed for "Year 4" and "Year 5". So what happens is that 2 million guaranteed left is suddenly now you're cap hit for that player for that season. So you saved 1 million in cap space for that season for cutting that player. Year 5 you're off the hook completely.

However this makes for a problem if you want to cut a guy early in his contract. Say you want to cut him in Year 2, since there's 4 million in guaranteed money left over the course of the remaining contract that's what you'll pay that player that year. Problem is that his overall salary is 3 million. So you've essentially given away 1 million in cap space for that year because the remaining guaranteed money is more than the season's overall salary.

It can get more complicated, but that's the very basics of it. This is the reason Bob Sanders still plays for the Colts. Until this season his guaranteed money remaining exceeded that of his overall salary. He should be cut at the end of this year because that now changes. Watch and see.
    Last edited by xBulletproof; 10-11-2010 at 07:56 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Getting rid of a bad contract like Tinsley, Curry, and others will make a team more competitive and increase its fan base. The knicks have been bad for a long time and because they are a big market team their ineptitude has cost the nba lots of $$. It's not the stupidity of the GMs that Stern is trying to save or the financial wealth of the owners but the nba product of having the best players on the floor especially in places like Boston, NY, chicago, and LA. players on

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by purdue101 View Post
    True, but this further promotes their habit of spending recklessly due to their access to income above and beyond that of smaller market teams. This harms those teams who succeed by making prudent business decisions. Voiding underperforming contracts will drive simple economic principles;

1.) It will saturate the FA market with bidders, which essentially drives up price.
    2.) Less risk = higher price. Wouldn't you be willing to pay more for a player if you knew you could void the deal if you choose so down the road? .

Smaller market teams will not only have to compete more often with more lucrative destinations (NY, LA, CGO), but they will also have to pay higher prices.

If you give Eddy Curry $80M then that's your own damn fault. I see no reason small market teams should suffer from that poor decision making.
    Two are at fault for New York giving bad players money James Dolan and "Zeke" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    On the flip side, it'd hold the GMs less accountable.

There needs to be a balance between protecting GMs from themselves and limiting their ability to make disastrous mistakes and allowing enough room for shrewd decision-making and best management practices making a difference. Plus, limiting the earnings + safety of the best players too much would make the league too vulnerable to outside competitors + give teams in markets with larger endorsement opportunities a larger advantage.

I'd like to see the maximum extension of contracts going down from 6/5 to 5/4 and the use of the MLE limited to once every 2 years, while giving teams the ability to spend the LLE every season. That should be enough. Also, allow a different use of the D-League, allow teams to fill the last 3 spots of the roster with D-League players making smaller salaries.
    What about some kind of "Internal Affairs" group?

Or what about a committee made up of former players/coaches/GMs that is paid to make rulings on trades/signings with regards to how much of a 'mistake' or issue it is for each franchise involved to somehow try to keep teams in check? This is a half-baked (or less) idea, but I kind of like it.