Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stern Seeks To Relieve The Burden Of Bad Contracts

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Stern Seeks To Relieve The Burden Of Bad Contracts

Oct 08, 2010 5:57 AM EST
    In discussing the NBA's negotiation of a new collective bargaining agreement with the players union, David Stern emphasized the league's interest in giving teams greater flexibility to get out from under contracts that prove to be unwise investments.

The commissioner noted a desire to "come up with a system where teams are not doomed by their past mistakes for inordinate lengths of time, so the fans can have hope."

Stern cited "shorter contracts or less guaranteed money" as potential solutions.

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archiv...#ixzz11mmL277X

Mood

Default Re: Stern Seeks To Relieve The Burden Of Bad Contracts

why coulnt of thy done this 3yrs ago lol

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They should call this "The Isiah Thomas Rule"

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    why coulnt of thy done this 3yrs ago lol
    I was just thinking that...

This is what we needed 2 or 3 years ago...

In all reality, theres really not much Stern can/will do. I highly doubt that NBA is going to pay any players contract on behalf of a team. Its going to open way too much flood-games. What defines a "bad contract"??? Its going to cause a mess if he even tries.
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    I was just thinking that...

This is what we needed 2 or 3 years ago...

In all reality, theres really not much Stern can/will do. I highly doubt that NBA is going to pay any players contract on behalf of a team. Its going to open way too much flood-games. What defines a "bad contract"??? Its going to cause a mess if he even tries.
    I have no clue what they would define as a bad contract. Eddy Curry he didnt even workout in NY or call the tem all summer. lol

This is the biggest issue from a fans perspective, to me.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This is the biggest issue from a fans perspective, to me.
    i think it should be like the NFL give part of the money guarnteed. The rest make them work for. Think about if the Redskins had to pay all of Albert Haynsworth's contract that would suck. They are only out 41m lol if they cut him not 100m.

i think it should be like the NFL give part of the money guarnteed. The rest make them work for. Think about if the Redskins had to pay all of Albert Haynsworth's contract that would suck. They are only out 41m lol if they cut him not 100m.
    I agree...

look at the Raiders with Jamarcus Russell
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

They did have the time a gew years ago where one contract wasn't applied to the cap/luxury tax. I would think the players' union would fight this if it meant non-guaranteed conracts ala the NFL.

It would be nice if you could sign a player to a 4 or 5 year deal and half way through if it is not working out you could simply say see ya later.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The players will never go for this. It's just one more step to a lockout.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    They did have the time a gew years ago where one contract wasn't applied to the cap/luxury tax. I would think the players' union would fight this if it meant non-guaranteed conracts ala the NFL.
    It may. Then again, fewer bad contracts that can't be gotten around only means that there's more money to spend on desirable players; I'm not too sure you wouldn't see close to the similar amount being spent, albeit allocated differently.

As an avid follower of the NFL salary cap, I was surprised to learn there is a CBA imposed maximum contract. Perhaps that may be the trade off. If the NBA wants to get rid of the fully guaranteed contract, they need to open up the upper end a little bit as well.

I think Football is the closest to being right. Non-Guaranteed contracts or just less years. I really think this would also help with players with slacking and taking plays off and crap.

I used to be a huge baseball and basketball fan, but I'm almost sick of all the money being thrown to these players and they never produce like they did in their "contract year". Football is great cause those guys bust their *** on just about every single player (minus pre-madonna wideouts). I still love baseball and basketball, but it's been waning over the past 10 years or so.

A perfect example is the Atlanta Falcons. After Michael Vick was put in jail and his contract nixed, a lot of players left and even the coach. They were able to turn that franchise around in no time. It takes several years for a basketball team to recover at the current bloated contracts. I'm sure Atlanta will regret their contract to Joe Johnson in 2 years.

It was the steriod era that really saw contracts balloon out of control. I wonder if we'll see them go down like they should...very doubtful cause the players union is just too strong.

I'm not mad that players make a good living, it's that they are almost all over paid in some way and it's the fans who foot the bill. They want pay increases when economically most working people have been suffering I would think a lot of people would be thankful for no pay increase cause they still have their job. I have some friends who have lost their job because of downsizing/budget cuts.

It's like sports players/entertainers live in their own world outside of everyone else. Plus I've had a ****ty and stressfull week at work and I needed to vent.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    The players will never go for this. It's just one more step to a lockout.
    The players will give in if the owners are willing to wait it out. I am willing to miss some basketball and have them have non gurateed deals but still get some money guarteed like the NFL. To get a better product on the court. Having every player play hard and care unlike jamal tinsley eddy curry and about 50 others lol.

This could actually be bad for us. We've done so much work to clear up our cap structure and move bad contracts... if everybody else is able to do that for free, we might end up as the losers.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This could actually be bad for us. We've done so much work to clear up our cap structure and move bad contracts... if everybody else is able to do that for free, we might end up as the losers.
    yes but i doubt he will take the current contracts off or the players would sue. I would think it would be on new deals only. Because if i am agent zero i am sueing if my 80m gets voided and rashad lewis also.

yes but i doubt he will take the current contracts off or the players would sue.
    Any new CBA requires a vote from the players to agree to it. How do the players sue for something they agreed to?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Any new CBA requires a vote from the players to agree to it. How do the players sue for something they agreed to?
    not every player has to agree right?

not every player has to agree right?
    Doesn't matter. You're a part of the NBAPA. A part of being represented in such a manner involves rolling with whatever agreement is made by the majority of your peers.

Same as being in a Union, which I've been a part of and was screwed personally out of $2 an hour by a decision I disagreed with. Didn't matter.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Doesn't matter. You're a part of the NBAPA. A part of being represented in such a manner involves rolling with whatever agreement is made by the majority of your peers.

Same as being in a Union, which I've been a part of and was screwed personally out of $2 an hour by a decision I disagreed with. Didn't matter.
    ok ty i didnt know that. Im sure the players wont agree to that then lol. maybe for new deals they would but not termating old ones.

If the NFL system is so good, why is it about to get blown up? The best thing for the NBA is for them to settle this and be on TV when the NFL shuts down.

Because the nfl pays their top draft picks $70 million contracts with $40 million still guarenteed....

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    If the NFL system is so good, why is it about to get blown up? The best thing for the NBA is for them to settle this and be on TV when the NFL shuts down.
    the only differnce will be the veterns get more money and the rookies will probly have a payscale like the nba
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 10-11-2010 at 08:44 PM.

Mood

Oh lord, I will take what we have currently over this idea. If you want to sign Joe Johnson to 122 million bucks for 7 yrs you should have to own that. That makes the strategy and league overall more interesting IMO. The get out of jail free card for bad franchises is lame.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    I think Football is the closest to being right. Non-Guaranteed contracts or just less years. I really think this would also help with players with slacking and taking plays off and crap.

I used to be a huge baseball and basketball fan, but I'm almost sick of all the money being thrown to these players and they never produce like they did in their "contract year". Football is great cause those guys bust their *** on just about every single player (minus pre-madonna wideouts). I still love baseball and basketball, but it's been waning over the past 10 years or so.

A perfect example is the Atlanta Falcons. After Michael Vick was put in jail and his contract nixed, a lot of players left and even the coach. They were able to turn that franchise around in no time. It takes several years for a basketball team to recover at the current bloated contracts. I'm sure Atlanta will regret their contract to Joe Johnson in 2 years.

It was the steriod era that really saw contracts balloon out of control. I wonder if we'll see them go down like they should...very doubtful cause the players union is just too strong.

I'm not mad that players make a good living, it's that they are almost all over paid in some way and it's the fans who foot the bill. They want pay increases when economically most working people have been suffering I would think a lot of people would be thankful for no pay increase cause they still have their job. I have some friends who have lost their job because of downsizing/budget cuts.

It's like sports players/entertainers live in their own world outside of everyone else. Plus I've had a ****ty and stressfull week at work and I needed to vent.
    Of course people are going to think that this view is extreme, particularly sports radio heads and agents and such, but its the truth that has been hidden. I can imagine Colin Cowherd saying "Sparhawk and BJB are nuts! They are conspiracy theory lunatics who to take their conspiracy theory glasses off."

These guys are paid too much money. An average person would say to Magnum's contract, "Dang, wish I was him." Or when we signed Earl Watson we thought it was a decent contract when really it is A LOT of money.

The perception of these contracts have been changed and now the average sports fans are led to believe that this is just fine and the way it is.

These players are being paid too much and the Owners can't do anything about it because if they try to make things right, they all go on strike. Tremendous pressure on Stern and Co.

However, the owners need to put their foot down and stop paying these guys so much cash and just set the bar. It goes both ways. They need brains in the FO and not people who are willing to spend because it is not their money ala Kahn, Otis, etc. We need more owners and GMs that aren't going to overpay these guys and such.. Its not going to happen though. It's competition.

I really do hope that I do not get bashed or attacked for this.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post: