Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aworkinprogress/Hibbert surprises teammates with transformed body, improved game

Default Re: Aworkinprogress/Hibbert surprises teammates with transformed body, improved game

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not to mention Joakim Noah.
    And Andrew Bogut. Plus coaches don't differentiate the big man positions, so he would probably need to beat guys like Stoudemire and Al Horford to.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Aworkinprogress/Hibbert surprises teammates with transformed body, improved game

See, if he reaches my goal for him of 20/10/5, he won't have to worry about those other guys, lol
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

I think this was definitely the right way for Roy to go, especially in the long term. Less injury risks, faster/quicker, more endurance. I'll take all of that at the potential cost of being a little easier to shove out of the way any time. Especially when we're talking about a highly-skilled 7'2" guy with a 7'6" wingspan.

I think during the last forum party I predicted something like 17 and 7 from him, but I'm now starting to set my expectations higher. I'm thinking closer to 18 and 9.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Look at what bulking up did to Jermaine. I'm glad Roy took the opposite route.

I'm so glad the Pacers drafted Roy. He gets it. Obsession, dedication, and hard work make you great. Hopefully he rubs off on the other players. It seems like it has on Paul George.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I think during the last forum party I predicted something like 17 and 7 from him, but I'm now starting to set my expectations higher. I'm thinking closer to 18 and 9.
    He averaged 12 in 25 minutes with a low number of touches.

With no Troy, a new point guard that will get the ball to him, an offense that is supposed to run through him, and a plan to get him 35 minutes a night, I see him averaging 20.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by mildlysane View Post
    Kareem was super skinny and killed everyone.
    Everyone was super-skinny back then.

Mood

Imagine hibbert being anything close to JO in his prime! Thank god the pacers came out with him instead of just TJ or any other pick.

Say what you want about the pacers but they really are quite decent at finding good talent mid draft.

Just to give everyone a basic example. I play league basketball 2 times a week. I also lift pretty relgiously and have for many years.

2 years ago I bumped my weight up to over 250 on my 6'3 frame with around 10% body fat. It was by far the worst move I ever made in life and in basketball. I always felt tired, running and sprinting were a chore and my vertical leap went down the craper.

I had constant knee pain and horrible pain in my shins "not shin splints. it was the muscle portion on the opposite side of the calf. My body could not handle the extra weight. Plain and simple. Everytime I have bulked up I have sustained injury. The last time required a surgery to my ankle and I am just now literally recovering. Its been a full year since the surgery.

I told myself I would never be over 220 again and my current weight is 215. At 250 pounds I was able to bench press 315 for sets of 6. At 215 I can bench press 300 for sets of 6. My leg press is actually about 200 pounds stronger doing sets of 8 at over 1k. I now can run the court and actually get results I want out of my vertical.

The reason I bring all this up is because you do not have to have the bulk to have the strength. People thing just because your heavier your stronger. Thats simply not the case. Lean muscle is what you want. A big upper body does nothing for you in the game of basketball. Its mostly leg strength being able to push people around without using your arms for position and for rebounding. If you use your upper body its a easy foul call for the ref.

I defend ex nba players and ex college stars on a weekly basis that are over 7ft and never have a problem. I like the path roy is taking, he is going to be a stud. We are blessed to have 2 picks from first round that no one really wanted turn out to be so dedicated and focused. They very easily could of been normal back up players and we could of been by far the worst team in basketball. So be thankful that they are the future and we have such good cap space after this season.

Its going to be a good 2 years.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dohman For This Useful Post:

I've been bulking for a few months and have 220 on my 6'0" frame, no idea what my body fat percentage is but guessing, I would say it's around 12-13%. I have gotten to the point that I struggle to touch my own shoulders. For Roy to drop that much weight and still have gotten stronger is a HUGE plus for him basketball wise. He will be more nimble and explosive around the basket. If you get a chance go somewhere and try to jump as high as you can, then go get a 20lb dumb bell and try it again. You will see how much of a benefit the lost weight is, especially for a center.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacers#1Fan For This Useful Post:

By the way, if you check Roy's twitter he says he's down to 8.6% body fat now.
    http://twitter.com/#!/Hoya2aPacer

I think that this is a great thing for Hibbert. First, it's going to erase his biggest deficiency from prior years, being that his lateral quickness will improve, resulting in less fouls. This will allow him to play 30+ mins per night.

Second, it will improve his vertical, which with his size will make him a formidable shot blocker, assuming his timing isn't miserable. If you look at a guy like Dikembe Mutumbo, he was skinny compared to most of the Centers he was guarding, but he was also an absolute terror on the defensive end. Again, Deke had almost supernatural abilities with timing the shot to block it, but it goes to show that you don't have to be fat to be a good interior defender.

Banned

Everyone is focusing in the weight, I think the asthma diagnosis is at least as significant.
    THAT explains his lack of stamina that was always odd given how hard he works.
    I can't WAIT to see this kid running the court now!!

And I REALLY can't wait to see a fine passing big man duo of Roy and Josh in the high and low post.
    We have some REAL offensive options with this team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I don't know if I'm the only one that is worry that Hibbert is losing so much weight, even D Howard is like 275 pounds, is this one of those examples were the player is change to fit the system? (just asking, no trying to star another thread with 27+ pages)
    There's only one Dwight Howard in the league and Roy isn't necessarily going to match up favorably with him whether he's playing at 255 or 295lbs.

Roy Hibbert has to be Roy Hibbert, so that he can be a match up problem in his own right. If reducing his body fat makes for a more nimble Roy, then that strikes me as a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    And the biggest factor IMO is that he just wasn't quick enough to be a dominate player (HA!).
    You did that on purpose.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's amazing how much hardwork Roy has put in since his rookie year.

He's come a long way from being shoved around by players 5 inches shorter than him.

Roy is only gonna get better.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    See, if he reaches my goal for him of 20/10/5, he won't have to worry about those other guys, lol
    I think if his stamina is really that much better (like they are saying) that those numbers are reachable, but I think we've got enough firepower that he might not get the pts.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    You did that on purpose.
    but of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerfan View Post
    By the way, if you check Roy's twitter he says he's down to 8.6% body fat now.
    http://twitter.com/#!/Hoya2aPacer

nice..

haha also on his twitter, he posted a pic of the rooks comin into the arena ..

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg243/sca...=640&ysize=640
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

The biggest problem for Roy last year and one of the reason's he had limited playing time was due to his difficulty defending the pick and roll. Teams would take advantage of his lack of lateral quickness, which would cause him to foul a lot and be mismatched with a lot of centers.

With him losing some weight and getting into such great shape, as others have mentioned, his lateral quickness will improve significantly. This along with his asthma treatment will also mean much better stamina and even further improvements in his PnR defense. I doubt it'll be a problem for him this year.

Also, there are very few big centers anymore. The traditional 280 pound plodding big-man is almost extinct. He'll be able to match up comfortably with most if not all centers now.

Very proud of Roy!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to pacerDU For This Useful Post: