Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aworkinprogress/Hibbert surprises teammates with transformed body, improved game

Banned

Default Aworkinprogress/Hibbert surprises teammates with transformed body, improved game

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...workinprogress

by Jeff Rabjohns
    IndyStar

Even Danny Granger was stunned.

After training in Los Angeles and playing with USA Basketball in the World Championship, the Indiana Pacers forward returned this fall to find a physically transformed Roy Hibbert.

"When you don't see someone for two or three months, you can really tell a difference," Granger said. "He's lost a lot of weight. When we play pick-up, he's blocking shots. I don't think I've seen him miss a jump hook since I've been back.

"He's been outstanding. The things he's done to prepare himself show his commitment to this team."

Hibbert entered training camp weighing 255 pounds, 23 fewer than he carried last season on his 7-2 frame. He also discovered and corrected a previously undetected asthma problem that affected his stamina.

Heading into his third year in the NBA, the Pacers' second-leading returning scorer is no longer a complementary part of the roster who is learning the league.

"He's gone from a guy we were constantly trying to develop to more of a guy that we have to kind of run our offense through . . . in the high post to utilize his passing ability and shooting ability, and in the low post to put pressure point blank on teams," coach Jim O'Brien said.

Hibbert was the Pacers' third-leading scorer last year at 11.7 points per game, behind Granger's 24.1 and the 14.6 of power forward Troy Murphy, who was traded in the offseason.

Hibbert said that even though he lost weight, he gained strength and shouldn't have any issues in the post. An offseason of work not only changed him physically but refined his skills.

"Roy Hibbert has had one of the best summers I've ever witnessed in my years of coaching," said O'Brien, who has been in the business 31/2 decades. "Here's a young guy that understands that certainly it's up to the coaching staff to develop players, but most importantly, it's up to the individual to develop."

Hibbert's passing, O'Brien believes, has been underappreciated. The center averaged just two assists last season, but also flashed signs of what he could do.

He flirted with a triple-double, getting 12 points, 11 rebounds and seven assists in a 107-96 victory over Philadelphia on March 9. A Pacers center hasn't had a triple-double since Steve Stipanovich did it Nov. 16, 1985, against Boston with 20 points, 14 rebounds and 10 assists.

Hibbert worked this summer with Bill Walton, even surprising the Hall of Fame center.

"Bill Walton had no idea that Roy could shoot," O'Brien said. "The first day, he said, 'I don't know if I've ever seen anybody more confident from 18 to 19 feet.' Then he said, 'Can he pass?' I said, 'Well, I hate to be biased, but I think if he's not the best passing big man in the league, he's one of them.' "

Hibbert now uses an inhaler in the morning and evening to control athlete-induced asthma. The condition was diagnosed after he routinely felt winded after a short stretch of playing time.

"It should lengthen the period of time I can be on the court," he said.

Being a channel for the offense will be a new role, one that could develop as the season goes along with new point guard Darren Collison.

"It's not that I have to score every time, but I think I can pass the ball really well," Hibbert said. "I take pride in passing the ball and getting my teammates open shots. I feel like if I score, I can pass and make everything better for everybody else."

His teammates think he could be on the verge of a very productive year, a notion that was reinforced in the preseason opener Wednesday at Memphis when Hibbert led the Pacers with 18 points and 10 rebounds.

"The last couple weeks of pick-up games, he was scoring non-stop," shooting guard Brandon Rush said. "His jumper is good. He's stronger. He seems more like a big, big-time center that's going to produce real well for us."

Default Re: Aworkinprogress/Hibbert surprises teammates with transformed body, improved game

It seems to me at the end of this season we're going to be sitting pretty. We'll have a bunch of young guys with varying degrees of potential and some large expiring contracts. It looks like we might be set at the two hardest positions to fill, with Hibbert at center and Collison at point guard. It also appears if the power forward spot develops we could make the playoffs. Regardless, this year looks like it's going to be really entertaining because of guys like Hibbert!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Aworkinprogress/Hibbert surprises teammates with transformed body, improved game

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It seems to me at the end of this season we're going to be sitting pretty. We'll have a bunch of young guys with varying degrees of potential and some large expiring contracts. It looks like we might be set at the two hardest positions to fill, with Hibbert at center and Collison at point guard. It also appears if the power forward spot develops we could make the playoffs. Regardless, this year looks like it's going to be really entertaining because of guys like Hibbert!
    %100 agreed.

Banned

I don't know if I'm the only one that is worry that Hibbert is losing so much weight, even D Howard is like 275 pounds, is this one of those examples were the player is change to fit the system? (just asking, no trying to star another thread with 27+ pages)

Banned

Don't get me wrong I like what Roy is doing and that he is fit I'm just dont not about how the weight losing is going to affect his game.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Don't get me wrong I like what Roy is doing and that he is fit I'm just dont not about how the weight losing is going to affect his game.
    I wonder too, last year I thought he held his own against Dwight Howard for the most part, even though Howard was stronger, they still had the same weight, so he wasn't getting pushed around.

Guess we'll see tonight. Can Roy's new found powers dominate Superman?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't know if I'm the only one that is worry that Hibbert is losing so much weight, even D Howard is like 275 pounds, is this one of those examples were the player is change to fit the system? (just asking, no trying to star another thread with 27+ pages)
    Being down to 10% body fat will make a difference no matter what system he is in. The good thing about Hib, is he will be quicker than many of the centers in the league. This is a big turnaround from when he entered the league. When he entered, people were saying he'd be one of the slowest centers in the league. Most people who don't follow the pacers still say he is one of the slowest. That will change this year.

I'll be really excited to see us match up against Orlando this season, because I think we match up really well with them.

OT: How many centers are on the all star teams? I thought it was two, and if so, those votes will probably go to D Howard, and Shaq. If three, Hibbert is really going to have to outshine B Lopez to get that spot.
    Passion, Pride, Playoffs, Pacers

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Passion, Pride, Playoffs, Pacers

Banned

A concern somewhat, but if he's truly gotten stronger, that won't show much.
    And the biggest factor IMO is that he just wasn't quick enough to be a dominate player (HA!).

losing weight is the best thing hibbert could do.. its not fun trying to carry around 20+ excess pounds of fat.. its bad on your feet and knees. He is going to be less injury prone, faster, and more explosive..

Just because you lost weight doesn't mean you lost muscle.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dohman For This Useful Post:

Banned

I couldn't be more excited about big Roy and the team in general.
    With all our disappointments in players over the past decade, what a thrill to see a borderline talent develop into something much more through his own hard work.
    This club is not only vastly more talented than we were a year ago, but the hard work ethic they are showing is going to set the tone for years to come.
    Good on ya Big Roy!!!!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Remember when JO gained weight and immediately lost everything about his offensive game that made him dominant? Well I think we're going to see the exact opposite with HIbbert. Losing 23 lbs off his frame is going to make him feel much more explosive.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman View Post
    I do believe this is the game that Howard gave the crowd the DX "Suck it" sign after he fouled out. He was very playful/colorful with the fans the entire game.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by dohman View Post
    losing weight is the best thing hibbert could do.. its not fun trying to carry around 20+ excess pounds of fat.. its bad on your feet and knees. He is going to be less injury prone, faster, and more explosive..

Just because you lost weight doesn't mean you lost muscle.
    Thanks for typing what I was going to type so that I don't have to type it.

I'll just add that I think when JO added 15 lbs, mainly to his upper body, was when he ruined his knees. We don't want that to happen with Roy.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What's everyones expectations for Roy's numbers this year?
    Last edited by Lance George; 10-08-2010 at 10:20 AM.

I've been thinking that Roy can put up 17 pts, 8 boards, 3 assists a game at a 50% shooting clip.

I don't know... Roy looked skinny to me last year anyway. 7-2, 255 isn't BAD though. I'm more interested in seeing what this will do to his defense and rebounding than what it will do to his offensive game. If his added conditioning level will allow him to get into a better athletic stance more often, he'll start winning the leverage battle and be faster laterally. He's always been good boxing out, 23lbs lighter lets see if he can get after them a bit more.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Can we just get the flippin' season started already!?

Roy will dominate this year: 20 pts, 10 boards, 5 assists/gm. And I'm almost serious with that. I expect a lot of improvement from Roy because of his extra work in the offseason, and the addition of DC (and the subtraction of Murphy). I think everything plays into Roy's hands.

--pizza
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

22. The Following User Says Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    What's everyones expectations for Roy's numbers this year?
    Last year's per 36 numbers were 16.7ppg, 8.2rpg, 2.8 apg, 2.3bpg.

He was a better rebounder when Murphy was off the floor. He's supposedly a better shotblocker now, and should get around/over 30mpg. He'll still have some foul trouble, but hopefully he's past the youth issues.

32mpg, 17ppg, 9rpg, 3asp and 2.5bpg would be beyond incredible. That's what I'm HOPING for, but I don't have any actual expectations.

Thanks for the memories. The pass from Price to Hibbert at :27 seconds is great.
    Last edited by Putnam; 10-08-2010 at 10:34 AM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

It is Price.

Most improved player award????

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

Kareem was super skinny and killed everyone.

It'll make him quicker, spyer, more nimble. IMO, he needs that. Hopefully it'll also improve his endurance and may also have a positive effect in his durability.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

OT: How many centers are on the all star teams? I thought it was two, and if so, those votes will probably go to D Howard, and Shaq. If three, Hibbert is really going to have to outshine B Lopez to get that spot.
    Not to mention Joakim Noah.