Thread: Comcast Xfinity, Should I?

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Default Comcast Xfinity, Should I?

I am lucky and I bootleg a wireless connection from somewhere for free, but its very spotty. Thats how I get on here. With that..

So I got in the mail today an envelope of Comcast Xfinity and it is $75 a month for internet and the TV. It has supposedly thousands of On Demand movies and you can watch them on both TV and on their site.

Saying that I want to see if anyone has that and I have some questions if I wanted to buy it.

1. Does it have FSNIN and is it consistently working?

2. I used to have On Demand and it used to keep my Pacers games on there for about two weeks. Is that still there?

3. Are there any real big time downsides to Xfinity?

4. Is it better than DirecTV? I hate DTV so I suppose anything is better than this garbage.

5. Whats your preffered way to watch Pacers games or other NBA games on TV. With what TV network?

I can't afford NBA LP so even if Xfinity doesn't have NBA LP I don't care.

Default Re: Comcast Xfinity, Should I?

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am lucky and I bootleg a wireless connection from somewhere for free, but its very spotty. Thats how I get on here. With that..

So I got in the mail today an envelope of Comcast Xfinity and it is $75 a month for internet and the TV. It has supposedly thousands of On Demand movies and you can watch them on both TV and on their site.

Saying that I want to see if anyone has that and I have some questions if I wanted to buy it.

1. Does it have FSNIN and is it consistently working?
    Yup it has FSNIN and FSNIN HD and NBA TVHD, no outages to speak of

2. I used to have On Demand and it used to keep my Pacers games on there for about two weeks. Is that still there? YUP there is a pacers section On Demand, they currently have the training camp practice sessions on there.

3. Are there any real big time downsides to Xfinity? Nope, its basically cable. I'd say the only problems i have with it is that the internet connection can be spotty in terms of the download speed, and thats even with the Blast tier. Things like the host's bandwidth can affect how much they allow for downloading speeds from certain websites. So the problem might not be with Comcast, but generally videos load up very quick.

4. Is it better than DirecTV? I hate DTV so I suppose anything is better than this garbage. Its a wash, you get channels on both don't you? I think DIRECTV might have that thing where you can watch several sports feeds on one channel, Xinifty has that too, but it doesn't seem as robust. I used it during the world cup though, thought it was neat.

5. Whats your preffered way to watch Pacers games or other NBA games on TV. With what TV network? In HD on TNT, but sadly Pacers never on TNT. But FSNIN HD does just fine.

I can't afford NBA LP so even if Xfinity doesn't have NBA LP I don't care.
    OKAY
    I'm gonna level with you, Xfinity is just Comcast rebranding themselves. Supposedly you are supposed to get alot more OnDemand options and titles now, but i haven't noticed a huge difference. There is also Fancast.com which is the Xfinity media site where you can watch lots of TV shows for free. One thing thats cool is with your Comcast/Xfinity you get free access to ESPN3.com. You do have to create a comcast/Xfinity email account to access some of the features which kind of sucks because I don't like having to look up the info for the account i never use. But all and all its just Comcast with new name and some more OnDemand stuff

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Supposedly you are supposed to get alot more OnDemand options and titles now, but i haven't noticed a huge difference.
    Agreed on the overall amount of different shows and movies you can see, but the number of those shows that are also available in HD went way up.

Thank you fellas, I just got Comcast yesterday with wireless internet and I am very, very, pleased. I hated DirecTV and I'm so happy with Comcast.

Thank you fellas, I just got Comcast yesterday with wireless internet and I am very, very, pleased. I hated DirecTV and I'm so happy with Comcast.
    I do not understand how such a thing is possible. I miss my DirecTV so much.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have Comcast and DirecTV. I hate Comcast with a passion and love DTV. I keep Comcast for now because of Internet (Blast) and a special deal I got for TV & Internet.

My Internet has never been as good since Comcast bought out Insight in Johnson County. Comcast downloads look like a heartbeat graph compared to Insight's straight as an arrow consistent speed.

Comcast service sucks, talking to anyone that knows anything is a nightmare. Took 3 different cable dudes coming out before they fixed a modem dropping connect problem, when I told them what was wrong the first time I called, bad main cable coming into the house. (The upstream power level was reaching +55dBmV causing disconnects)

I recently called DTV about upgrading to a HD DVR they sent a guy the next day, put up a new Dish (HD content points at a new SAT), new cable, a new 8 way switch, NO CHARGE, brought a really great new H24 HD DVR with 500GB Hard Drive.

Took months to get Comcast's better DCX3400 HD DVR, they claimed they didn't offer any better box, than lied. DTV's interface is light years ahead of Comcast's boxes.

If I could find better internet service, I'd drop Comcast so fast. DSL sucks in my area, not sure about AT&T U-Verse.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

What do you guys like about DTV besides customer service?

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What do you guys like about DTV besides customer service?
    Isn't that what really matters?

Nerd.
    Mood

I switched from DISH network to DirecTV because of customer service.

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if comcast carries pacer games in Fort Wayne? Thanks!

I have no clue about Xfinity itself. What I do know is it is through Comcast and that is all you need to know.

As Hoop said their customer service just flat out sucks. My parents have been dealing with them for about a two months now. Getting someone to even come out and look at things has been a nightmare. They were told that a technician would be out between noon and four and the guy never showed up. Turns out the person he talked to the phone did not even put it in. Of course Comcast turns around and says it will be another 2 weeks before they can get someone out there.

They finally got someone out there and they still could not figure it out.

I also love how they just randomly remove stations and jack up your price as well.

At least with Uverse I have paid the same price for the past two years.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Yeah, Comcast branded their old "Triple-Play" as xfinity. Their reasons to re-brand were due to all the bad publicity that Comcast has been given by their customers and former customers over the years.

I will say this, and it holds true to any telecommunications subscription, I have never seen Comcast or any other company in recent years raise their rates out of the blue outside of the promotional periods. I work for a company that provides many kinds of internet connectivity and I keep track of many competitors.

Not saying you guys are wrong, but I've never seen it. When I called shopping around for my new house because I thought I couldn't get U-verse, I called Comcast and asked them about that. They guarantee now that they don't raise the costs of their services outside of promotional periods.

Odd.
    Last edited by duke dynamite; 11-01-2010 at 01:49 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Why do i prefer DTV to comcast? Well one is customer service. My family has never had any problems with DTV and they have moved multiple times and DTV always comes and hooks up our service for free and they come on time too. I have comcast here at school and well lets just say they don't show up on time, my internet cuts out at least once a week (but i will say when it works correctly it is very fast), the tv has refresh lines which are extremely annoying, and their customer service is just sub par. Also the channels just dont make sense. I have multiple HD channels that I dont have in SD... Not a big deal, but i don't really understand that. Plus I don't have stations I'm used to like espn news, fuel tv and fuse (until we just got the hd one).

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if comcast carries pacer games in Fort Wayne? Thanks!
    You've probably already found this out as I am a week late. But no. And I don't think there is any way to get FSI that I've figured out.

They recently managed to double-charge me for League Pass.

I got in contact with them, and for some reason I have to swallow a jumob-sized (over $400 after taxes) bill this month, but I will get credit for next month to make up for the difference.

I was cool with that (mostly), until I realized I wasn't going to get reimbursed for the taxes associated with the wrongful charges. I'm guessing that means I'm still out about $20.

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    They recently managed to double-charge me for League Pass.

I got in contact with them, and for some reason I have to swallow a jumob-sized (over $400 after taxes) bill this month, but I will get credit for next month to make up for the difference.

I was cool with that (mostly), until I realized I wasn't going to get reimbursed for the taxes associated with the wrongful charges. I'm guessing that means I'm still out about $20.
    Why won't they just subtract the extra charges? Should be able to do that on the spot.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

More Comcast problems. I've recently developed a problem with On-Demand not working all the time and my 2 DVR's sometimes will not even get any channels at all, just an error code.

The newer Comcast DVR's work a lot like a Cable modem, if not enough power comes from the line you get disconnects. They finally sent a guy that knew what he was talking about. Nothing is wrong in my house or the cable coming to my house. The main hub in my neighborhood does not transfer enough power. Same basic problem I've had with cable internet that they band aided but never fully fixed 2+ years ago.

He said he'd tell his boss, nothing he could do about, over a week later still no word. It's a very random problem, it works fine 95% of the time, I bet they wouldn't like it if I only payed 95% of the time. Comcast still has the worst customer service ever, nobody knows anything. Very maddening.

Not one problem with my updated DTV stuff.
    Last edited by Hoop; 11-11-2010 at 09:01 PM.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

just seeing the xfinity ad during the pacers games on the scorer's tables makes me angry sometimes