Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 169

Thread: Dealing with Generation Text

  1. #126
    Member Mr.ThunderMakeR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,094

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    I think there is a misconception here on how formal/sophisticated PD supposedly is. I read several different forums ranging in topics from cars, to sports, to video games. Every single one of them uses standard English and would have the same exact reaction to someone posting in textspeak. The claim that PD is more elite/sophisticated than most of the internet is wrong. Do I doubt that there are forums out there where textspeak is the norm? No but PD is obviously not one of those places and just because it isn't doesn't mean that we are elitist or oppresive.

    I'm sorry I just don't understand how asking someone to post in understandable language is forcing them to conform. Conformity implies we are trying to force him to act, talk, and think like us (which is assuming people who use proper English all act, talk and think the same which is offensive in and of itself), and limit his right to express himself the way he wants. You also imply that p4e is using textspeak as a way to exercise his freedom of expression. He's made it clear that isn't the case, he does it because as he admitted he isn't the best typer and its easier for him to use textspeak. If you're trying to say were limiting his freedom of expression you're wrong. If anything we WANT him to express his opinions and thoughts, we just want to be able to understand them because we actually DO value his unique perspective and opinions.

    @p4e: I'd recommend taking a typing class before you graduate HS. It was about one of these easiest A's I ever had and has been invaluable throughout college and my career. I went from staring at the keyboard and typing with 1 finger to typing 60 words per minute in one semester. Super easy!

    Also, I have noticed a big improvement in your posting so props to you for attempting to improve even if you don't want to admit.

  2. #127
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think there is a misconception here on how formal/sophisticated PD supposedly is. I read several different forums ranging in topics from cars, to sports, to video games. Every single one of them uses standard English and would have the same exact reaction to someone posting in textspeak. The claim that PD is more elite/sophisticated than most of the internet is wrong. Do I doubt that there are forums out there where textspeak is the norm? No but PD is obviously not one of those places and just because it isn't doesn't mean that we are elitist or oppresive.

    I'm sorry I just don't understand how asking someone to post in understandable language is forcing them to conform. Conformity implies we are trying to force him to act, talk, and think like us (which is assuming people who use proper English all act, talk and think the same which is offensive in and of itself), and limit his right to express himself the way he wants. You also imply that p4e is using textspeak as a way to exercise his freedom of expression. He's made it clear that isn't the case, he does it because as he admitted he isn't the best typer and its easier for him to use textspeak. If you're trying to say were limiting his freedom of expression you're wrong. If anything we WANT him to express his opinions and thoughts, we just want to be able to understand them because we actually DO value his unique perspective and opinions.

    @p4e: I'd recommend taking a typing class before you graduate HS. It was about one of these easiest A's I ever had and has been invaluable throughout college and my career. I went from staring at the keyboard and typing with 1 finger to typing 60 words per minute in one semester. Super easy!

    Also, I have noticed a big improvement in your posting so props to you for attempting to improve even if you don't want to admit.
    I only type 20 words per mintue lol but i already have my remaining classes already set up so i can't take a typeing class.

  3. #128
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I only type 20 words per mintue lol but i already have my remaining classes already set up so i can't take a typeing class.
    Damn.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:


  5. #129
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Damn.
    ya i type with 2 fingers lol looking down at the keyboard. Wish i would have learned the right way i am not very good with my left hand.

  6. #130
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ya i type with 2 fingers lol looking down at the keyboard. Wish i would have learned the right way i am not very good with my left hand.
    I said damn because you don't have room for a typing class.

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i am not very good with my left hand.
    That's what she said.

  7. #131
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I said damn because you don't have room for a typing class. .
    im takeing a bussin class that i like we help me with my money habits.

  8. #132
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,090

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    It's free to ride the bus at Ball St. I hear it really helps everyone's money habits.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  10. #133
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    im takeing a bussin class that i like we help me with my money habits.
    Your ability to manage money isn't in question here.

  11. #134
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your ability to manage money isn't in question here.
    lol i know but i would rather be able to manage my money well than type well.

  12. #135
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    You don't really need a typing class; I took one but never retained the technique/form they taught there, and have gone on using the "improper" form I learned before it but still compose between 70-80wpm. Just type and write a bunch (like at least 1000 words a day), and you eventually get better. (Of course, I've also got carpal tunnel at age 22, so maybe you're better off not listening to me. )
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  13. #136
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    lol i know but i would rather be able to manage my money well than type well.
    Don't spend your money on worthless ****. There, now cancel that bussin class and take a typing one.
    Last edited by duke dynamite; 10-11-2010 at 02:49 PM.

  14. #137
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,603

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    I wrote sports for the local newspaper when I was in high school. Royal manual typewriter and yellow paper, living on strike-outs and learning punctuation that matched the style the paper wanted.

    When I got done, I typed very fast with four fingers and a thumb, and to this day keyboards phear my l33t skillz (and pounding force. Probably more the pounding force).
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  15. #138
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't spend your money on worthless ****. There, now cancel that bussin class and take a typing one.
    lol but wat about investing and **** like that

  16. #139
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,443

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    lol i know but i would rather be able to manage my money well than type well.
    I think that would be a far better use of your time, most young people have no financial sense and don't know how to balance a checkbook, or how to save money, and don't know anything about credit cards and interest rates before they sign up for such things.

    Don't listen to all these conformists who want you to bend to their standards so they they can feel good about you posting on their precious forum.

    If you want to type better, buy a computer program that teaches you how to type. You don't need a class to learn how to type. I Learned how to type via a computer game called Mario teaches typing! Of course I was like 11 years old.

  17. #140
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,317

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Royal manual typewriter and yellow paper, living on strike-outs and learning punctuation that matched the style the paper wanted.
    I was so fast I use get the keys bent and break the return arm. Those piano lessons paid off.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  18. #141
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    lol but wat about investing and **** like that
    Go get 'em. Tear up Wall Street.

  19. #142
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,090

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Go get 'em. Tear up Wall Street.
    If he's going to make it on Wall St. then he probably should drop that bussin class, and take a cabbin class.

  20. #143
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he's going to make it on Wall St. then he probably should drop that bussin class, and take a cabbin class.
    Bazinga.

  21. #144
    THE FRANCHISE Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    TITLE TOWN
    Age
    30
    Posts
    959

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ya i type with 2 fingers lol looking down at the keyboard. Wish i would have learned the right way i am not very good with my left hand.


  22. #145
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,323

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think there is a misconception here on how formal/sophisticated PD supposedly is. I read several different forums ranging in topics from cars, to sports, to video games. Every single one of them uses standard English and would have the same exact reaction to someone posting in textspeak. The claim that PD is more elite/sophisticated than most of the internet is wrong. Do I doubt that there are forums out there where textspeak is the norm? No but PD is obviously not one of those places and just because it isn't doesn't mean that we are elitist or oppresive.
    .
    Clearly you haven't been to a forum dominated by younger populations.


    i hate how on the pokemon tradeing thing the will give u a weak pokemon that u need and they want a legendary its just stupid and im willing to trade my groundon,rayquza and kryoger for a deoxys or mew or darkri pm me if u want em no scam! *they are lvl 50 from soul silver .

    i do lvl 43 wat do u have to offer? * make it multiple choices plz!!

    panda not lovin it haha lol kute but not so adorable =3

    me to in the hello episode racheal touched him and he was like Ew!
    Last edited by flox; 10-11-2010 at 04:59 PM.

  23. #146
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Two thoughts:

    1. I used Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing in 5th grade. I hated it, but it helped. I also took a typing class in 10th grade. It was a waste of time, but it did improve my typing. Honestly, I improved the most when I was at JUCO when I decided I was going to get better, and just practiced typing papers without looking at the keyboard. The invention of built in spell check in browers and the such helped a lot.

    2. While this thread may have been good natured, I think both sides have aired their respective opinions.

    In the good words of a certain former poster "Lets please move on"

    Cheers,

    -VA

  24. #147
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    that is bad *** probly $500

  25. #148
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,062
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Just practice typing without looking at the keyboard or your hands. No need for expensive software or all that junk. Nothing replaces hard work and practice.

    I've never taken a typing course or had any typing software and I can type over 100 words per minute. Practice man, I'm talkin' 'bout practice!

  26. #149
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    If we're talking learning how to type, then I suggest going out and buying one of those cheep Learn-to-type programs they sell to kids at places like Wal-Mart or Best Buy.

    Growing up I had "Super Mario Teaches Typing" and I was good to go by age 8.

  27. #150
    Member Mr.ThunderMakeR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,094

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by flox View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Clearly you haven't been to a forum dominated by younger populations.
    See:

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do I doubt that there are forums out there where textspeak is the norm? No but PD is obviously not one of those places and just because it isn't doesn't mean that we are elitist or oppresive.
    Quote Originally Posted by flox View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i hate how on the pokemon tradeing thing the will give u a weak pokemon that u need and they want a legendary its just stupid and im willing to trade my groundon,rayquza and kryoger for a deoxys or mew or darkri pm me if u want em no scam! *they are lvl 50 from soul silver .

    i do lvl 43 wat do u have to offer? * make it multiple choices plz!!

    panda not lovin it haha lol kute but not so adorable =3

    me to in the hello episode racheal touched him and he was like Ew!
    Did you really just post quotes from a Pokemon forum? I don't get what your point is here. Are you trying to compare pacer4ever to children? Are you saying Pacers Digest is elititist because we would like posts to be written with better grammar than kids in grade school? That's a bit of a stretch...

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-19-2009, 01:26 PM
  2. Who's Watching Generation Kill?
    By JayRedd in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-14-2008, 09:26 AM
  3. Bennett admits mistakes in dealing with Seattle [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-18-2008, 07:30 PM
  4. HELP! I need ways of dealing with such a tough loss
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 07:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •