Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 169

Thread: Dealing with Generation Text

  1. #101
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,323

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This isn't about conformity so much as it's about consideration.

    A guy can choose to "be himself" by refusing to bathe more than once a month or ever use deodorant if that's how he rolls, and he can also hang out in a crowded mall. But the shoppers aren't wrong to tell him he stinks and needs to take a bath.
    In this case the shoppers have banded around the person and has made this issue public. meanwhile, in your example the issue can be public or private.

    Had your analogy included oh, lets say, said shoppers following the person around while lecturing the person about how showering is better for their hygiene or will lead them to a better life, then I would say that it is fair.

  2. #102
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by flox View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In this case the shoppers have banded around the person and has made this issue public. meanwhile, in your example the issue can be public or private.

    Had your analogy included oh, lets say, said shoppers following the person around while lecturing the person about how showering is better for their hygiene or will lead them to a better life, then I would say that it is fair.
    I'm going to drop the analogy and just try to address each part of this, as I see it:

    1) p4e's style is a turn off to either some or most of us.

    2) Some of us tried to reach out to him about it, respectfully, in the spirit of 'We want to hear what you have to say, but we don't want to have to deal with text-speak to do it, so please go with standard English.'

    3) He's made it clear that he doesn't care about it enough to change his ways.

    4) That's when this should have died, anyone who doesn't like it should have either ignored him and moved on, or learned to live with it.

    5) Unfortunately, that wasn't good enough for some people, and they thought (for whatever reason) it was a good idea to bust his balls about it, when, in fact, the odds of that ending well were slim-to-none.

    6) It still needs to die.

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  4. #103
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,847
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm going to drop the analogy and just try to address each part of this, as I see it:

    1) p4e's style is a turn off to either some or most of us.

    2) Some of us tried to reach out to him about it, respectfully, in the spirit of 'We want to hear what you have to say, but we don't want to have to deal with text-speak to do it, so please go with standard English.'

    3) He's made it clear that he doesn't care about it enough to change his ways.

    4) That's when this should have died, anyone who doesn't like it should have either ignored him and moved on, or learned to live with it.

    5) Unfortunately, that wasn't good enough for some people, and they thought (for whatever reason) it was a good idea to bust his balls about it, when, in fact, the odds of that ending well were slim-to-none.

    6) It still needs to die.

    it is a bad habit it is not that i dont want to fix it. I just dont think about grammer when i am typeing. Is it wrong of me? probly. I try my best but i am a very bad typer. im sry if i offend anyone saying i dont care but with that said it probly wont change. I want to because i really dont like being rude. But it is like smoking it is a hard habit to break. When i need to type for skool i spend more time re reading and editing then i do writeing the paper.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  6. #104
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,079

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm going to drop the analogy and just try to address each part of this, as I see it:

    1) p4e's style is a turn off to either some or most of us.

    2) Some of us tried to reach out to him about it, respectfully, in the spirit of 'We want to hear what you have to say, but we don't want to have to deal with text-speak to do it, so please go with standard English.'

    3) He's made it clear that he doesn't care about it enough to change his ways.

    4) That's when this should have died, anyone who doesn't like it should have either ignored him and moved on, or learned to live with it.

    5) Unfortunately, that wasn't good enough for some people, and they thought (for whatever reason) it was a good idea to bust his balls about it, when, in fact, the odds of that ending well were slim-to-none.

    6) It still needs to die.
    I agree with all your points except, possibly, with "It still needs to die." Maybe the personal part with Pacers4Ever, but I started the thread because of the larger ramifications for the culture, and the size of the thread shows that this struck a chord with the rest of the board.

    I don't even know what part of PacersDigest this thread exists in now. (Just followed it via Ispy).
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  7. #105
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,847
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree with all your points except, possibly, with "It still needs to die." Maybe the personal part with Pacers4Ever, but I started the thread because of the larger ramifications for the culture, and the size of the thread shows that this struck a chord with the rest of the board.

    I don't even know what part of PacersDigest this thread exists in now. (Just followed it via Ispy).
    lol explain what these are please . Are we all going to die because some people type in text. lol

  8. #106
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,079

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    lol explain what these are please . Are we all going to die because some people type in text. lol
    Never said they were bad ramifications.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  9. #107
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,847
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Never said they were bad ramifications.
    ok w/e u are impying they are bad. Makeing a thead "Dealing with Generation Text"

  10. #108
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,079

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    You could have a thread called "dealing with sexuality." Doesn't make it bad, just complex.

    What is w/e?
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  11. #109
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,323

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    I'm starting feel like there is a lot of misunderstanding going around right now

  12. #110
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,847
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You could have a thread called "dealing with sexuality." Doesn't make it bad, just complex.

    What is w/e?
    are u serious w/e =what ever

  13. #111
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,079

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    are u serious w/e =what ever
    Dude, when I was your age, we had a rotary phone attached to the wall. We were actually one of the luckier families to have another extension upstairs.

    Hell no I don't know the meaning of w/e, invented a couple years ago for the recent invention known as cell phone texting.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  14. #112
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,323

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dude, when I was your age, we had a rotary phone attached to the wall. We were actually one of the luckier families to have another extension upstairs.

    Hell no I don't know the meaning of w/e, invented a couple years ago for the recent invention known as cell phone texting.
    nah man it's been around before that w/e has been a staple b4 the txtin age.

  15. #113
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by flox View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wait, so we have to conform to your standards to make posts when we have time? That we have to make posts that look like yours?

    Who came in and made you boss? What if I only have 15 minutes a day to surf PD and want to comment on as many things possible? What if it's just easier and more natural type the way p4e types? Do you want to force me to type to your standards so that you can enjoy this forum.

    please. come on. that is so elitist. the elitist pushed by some posters like since and you and la is really really annoying. who says we asked for your help? who said that we aren't taken care of our own lives?

    like really.
    I don't think we agree on the definition of elitism.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:


  17. #114
    Funk Seoul Brother Frostwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,286

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by flox View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    nah man it's been around before that w/e has been a staple b4 the txtin age.
    staple? when? where?

    the only time i have ever seen a contraction like w/e used is in textspeak.

    op: still think you need to differentiate texting your friends (or posting something on twitter/facebook) with posting on a board that's generally known for it's intelligence and civility. I certainly can, and I'm pretty much in the same age group as you.
    Last edited by Frostwolf; 10-10-2010 at 08:03 AM.

  18. #115
    - .-- ... ... Natston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Timbuktupolis, IN
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,236
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think we agree on the definition of elitism.
    And that right there makes you an elitist...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)


    Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

  19. #116

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think we agree on the definition of elitism.
    You and your fancy opinions and high flown bombastic language can just kiss my grits mister.


    Only kidding.

  20. #117
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text



    But seriously, when I think of elitism in a social setting, I think of a combination of these two things:

    1) a sense of superiority and entitlement
    AND 2) moves toward exclusivity at the expense of community.

    I may be guilty of #1 from time to time, but I'm neither a joiner nor am I an excluder.

    Anyone who knows me well knows that I make every effort to be both generous and inclusive (a lot of people who care about me say I go too far with both and leave myself far too open to getting trampled on).

    I think maybe flox intended to say that I'm judgmental? I don't know.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:


  22. #118
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Elitism is a funny word. Sometimes it seems like it is applied to anyone who enjoys doing something that the vast majority of people cannot or will not enjoy doing, regardless of the person's attitude. I don't think that's the right use of it, but it's almost become a smear against anyone with challenging or esoteric interests.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post:


  24. #119
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,412

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pacer4ever is in Rome. He should adapt somewhat and try to write as the Romans do. I don't think he'd ever go all the way, but a little adaptation wouldn't hurt.


    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A gross and intentional misinterpretation of both my post and it's intent.

    EDIT: We're just trying to help the kid/kids out. If he wants to be heard, he should speak more clearly. That's it.
    Really? Cause it sounded like you said he should be more like everyone else. Or take on the vernacular practice of the majority, because that is his audience. When in Rome, do like the Romans do?
    Last edited by graphic-er; 10-10-2010 at 10:30 PM.

  25. #120
    Batman's New Side Kick Psyren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,596

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    There is nothing like killing boredom on a Sunday night like reading this thread

    This is off-topic, but honestly, this is some of the best debates I've read on PD in a while. I've been here over 2 years, and whether it's been in the Pacers board any of the other boards, a lot of good discussion has gone on.

    While many of you disagree and have different viewpoints, I just thought I'd say that I really have enjoyed watching some of the debating go on in this thread. A lot of excellent views from many different sides.

    Now, continue on so that next time I'm bored, I can continue on in reading this thread.

  26. #121
    The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Disgusta, GA
    Posts
    8,829
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really? Cause it sounded like you said he should be more like everyone else. Or take on the vernacular practice of the majority, because that is his audience. When in Rome, do like the Romans do?
    I believe that's what he did say...and as he said, it's to help 'the kid' to be understood.

    That exchange right there, to me, boils down to LA saying, "I said X." And then graph says, "Oh really, because it sounded like you said X."

    It's hard enough to understand each other, in a text-based exchange, with no visual cues, even when both parties are trying to use correct English.

    Apologies if I misrepresented anything you guys said. No apologies for the term "correct English."

    But P4ever has made his own replies to all the input, and has handled all this focus on him like a rational man...to which I say, "Good onya, P4." I can't type for crap either. This bit here took me about 5 minutes.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

  27. #122
    Funk Seoul Brother Frostwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,286

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Natston View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And that right there makes you an elitist...

    I'm sorry, but how does that make him elitist? "we disagree, but I think I'm right, therefore you're an elitist ***?"

    There are a lot of people nowadays throwing that word around without even knowing what it means (as SIG said, it's become a smear word to use on someone you don't like).

    if LA or anyone else had a problem with p4e was because his posts where often extremely difficult to understand. is it so wrong to ask someone to do something the rest of te group does, if it is for the benefit of everyone?

  28. #123
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,323

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    But seriously, when I think of elitism in a social setting, I think of a combination of these two things:

    1) a sense of superiority and entitlement
    AND 2) moves toward exclusivity at the expense of community.

    I may be guilty of #1 from time to time, but I'm neither a joiner nor am I an excluder.

    Anyone who knows me well knows that I make every effort to be both generous and inclusive (a lot of people who care about me say I go too far with both and leave myself far too open to getting trampled on).

    I think maybe flox intended to say that I'm judgmental? I don't know.
    I take elitism to mean 1 and not 2, but if we take your definition of 1 and add 2 to it, this whole proper typing thing is splitting the community apart as there seems to be a pro and anti-side and the pro side is very vocal at pushing p4e to type better and it's cause this debate within the community from others who think that he should be able to type the way he wants. That comes close to fitting your definition of two, although I realize this is probably a stretch. Especially when you come off sounding like:
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    is it so wrong to ask someone to do something the rest of te group does, if it is for the benefit of everyone?

    which to me is elitist talk. I think we might be misunderstanding each other on the level of community- which I believe is the right for any pacer fan to come here and post his or her opinion on the pacers as long as it doesn't become personally offensive or repulsive- and to be able to do so in the manner in which he or she chooses. Any movement to change that to a "proper" form of typing or to get people to do things in a certain way, especially in this case of typing better, seems very elitist.

  29. #124
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sorry, but how does that make him elitist? "we disagree, but I think I'm right, therefore you're an elitist ***?"

    There are a lot of people nowadays throwing that word around without even knowing what it means (as SIG said, it's become a smear word to use on someone you don't like).

    if LA or anyone else had a problem with p4e was because his posts where often extremely difficult to understand. is it so wrong to ask someone to do something the rest of te group does, if it is for the benefit of everyone?
    frostwolf,

    I'm pretty sure natston was just messing with LA.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  30. #125
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,549

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    So here is my question.

    Clearly, the extreme form of the side of the argument opposing mine is that no one has the right to tell anyone who posts on this board how to post/spell/use language as long as it doesn't attack anyone.

    Does that mean I have to spend a huge amount of time trying to understand it and then have to take on the entire fault if I misunderstand? If so, why is the onus on me to correctly read someone's intentions in a format that is already limited without artificial barriers? Why am I an idiot for not understanding an obscure abbreviation or a language construct that can mean multiple things?

    Seems to me that the problem isn't "if you make me post in your language you're wrong", it is "if you can't read what I write you're at fault and if you ignore me you're elitist."
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-19-2009, 01:26 PM
  2. Who's Watching Generation Kill?
    By JayRedd in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-14-2008, 09:26 AM
  3. Bennett admits mistakes in dealing with Seattle [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-18-2008, 07:30 PM
  4. HELP! I need ways of dealing with such a tough loss
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 07:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •