Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 169

Thread: Dealing with Generation Text

  1. #76
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,855
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Cuz"?




    .
    see why do u have to make a post like that u understand wat cuz is why are u correcting him??

  2. #77
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    As far as message boards language goes, PD is one of the most high-falootin' boards out there. There are plenty of boards in the universe where p4e can post in this style to his heart's content with nary a wayward notice.

    Pacer4ever is in Rome. He should adapt somewhat and try to write as the Romans do. I don't think he'd ever go all the way, but a little adaptation wouldn't hurt.

    It's not a problem with grammar, it's the fact that his posts are written in a manner that I cannot fully understand without taking an abnormal amount of time to read.

    The guy wants to be read, otherwise he wouldn't be posting here. But if he wants to be read, concessions have to be made. That's all there is to it. No excuses, no reasons. I don't care if he is on his phone or his desktop PC.
    Last edited by duke dynamite; 10-08-2010 at 09:21 AM.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:


  4. #78
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,555

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Here's my take (and, for the record, this is the first time I've posted on any of the non-Pacers public fora here at PD, so I think it is an important topic and not just some kind of cruel harassment):

    It really isn't about ignorance or stupidity, and continuing to use those terms demeans the subject and the debate.

    It is about the purpose of communication.

    I could come on here and post a fantastic summary of JOB's faults in Welsh and, rather than getting comments agreeing with me, I'd get at best blank stares. That would be not because the ideas were dumb or that I was somehow stupid, it would be because I expected other people to conform to my language in order to understand me.

    If I thought pacer4ever was some kind of moron, I'd have plonked him (how's THAT for obscure old-school terminology?) onto the ignore list a long time ago. I haven't done that because he's NOT stupid, and because, ultimately, every point of view one severs damages one's own ability to see the entire world rather than just a narrow part of it.

    I could go to the main forum and point out a ton of threads where major back-and-forth shouting matches have ensued over statements in perfect grammar that were too short, poorly referential, or partially quoted and therefore were completely misunderstood. As much as these things disturb the wa of a forum that is supposed to be fun, as pacer4ever says, how much easier to misinterpret a sentence that combines a lack of punctuation, shorthand, and unusual construction?

    I know lots of people who use textspeak constantly when typing. I have been immersed my entire career in the technical communications world specializing in those exact applications that have made such things possible, after all. I can't avoid it. But everyone I regularly communicate with tries to do only one thing at a time - if they are textspeaking, they don't misspell non-textspeak words. They use punctuation to separate their thoughts. They try to use it as a means to faster communications, not as a means to dump thoughts out and hope someone takes the time to decipher them.

    I agree that continuing to press the issue merely increases resistance. I am sorry to have been a part of that, even though it was really just an effort to be able to read threads in this forum quickly without constantly running into a speedbump where I have to ask myself if I read that right and am I sure it meant what I thought it meant.

    For me, the question is a serious one here and in other places - do I preserve my fun with the forum by dismissing anything that interferes with my ability to experience it in my own way, or do I respect the other members enough to make an effort to change how I view things? I feel like I have taken my steps by not simply ignoring the hard-to-understand. I'd only ask for a little movement toward readability in return.

    How that can be insulting, demeaning, cruel, or arbitrary I truly have no idea.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  6. #79
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,412

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    the PD group think is strong in this thread. Conform!!! Assimilate!!! Be a Roman!

    The nail who sticks out is the nail that is hammered!!!

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:


  8. #80
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,555

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    the PD group think is strong in this thread. Conform!!! Assimilate!!! Be a Roman!

    The nail who sticks out is the nail that is hammered!!!
    As a serious, non smart-a*s question, can you point out where in my reply I show evidence of mindless group think and demand for assimilation?

    Conformity in at least some areas is a given, as it is after all a community and we need to conform to some kind of standard, even it is as simple as "Pacer fans or people willing to be at least civil to Pacer fans".
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  9. #81
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,412

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As a serious, non smart-a*s question, can you point out where in my reply I show evidence of mindless group think and demand for assimilation?

    Conformity in at least some areas is a given, as it is after all a community and we need to conform to some kind of standard, even it is as simple as "Pacer fans or people willing to be at least civil to Pacer fans".
    Aww Bill, don't worry man I didn't even read your post. It does not apply to you.

  10. #82
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,555

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aww Bill, don't worry man I didn't even read your post.
    You've no idea how much better that makes me feel.

    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  11. #83
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,061
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    This whole thread/post is asinine.
    Last edited by Stryder; 10-08-2010 at 02:44 PM.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stryder For This Useful Post:


  13. #84
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This whole thread/post is assinine.
    asinine*

  14. #85
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    the PD group think is strong in this thread. Conform!!! Assimilate!!! Be a Roman!

    The nail who sticks out is the nail that is hammered!!!
    A gross and intentional misinterpretation of both my post and it's intent.

    EDIT: We're just trying to help the kid/kids out. If he wants to be heard, he should speak more clearly. That's it.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:


  16. #86
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,316

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A gross and intentional misinterpretation of both my post and it's intent.

    EDIT: We're just trying to help the kid/kids out. If he wants to be heard, he should speak more clearly. That's it.
    No, you're being an elitist. Who cares the civility, rationale, and maturity level of this board brings people like Markl Boyle and other respected members of the Pacer organization here. I think we should let it go so we no longer have to put up with intelligent insight by visiting guests such as Boyle, MGrady, JMV, or the long lost Buckett.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  17. #87
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    I do hold myself in high regard.

    I miss Buckett.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  18. #88
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,011

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i dont use facebook and typeing on PD wont break or make my life lol wow
    Okay, you got me. My examples were meant to be solely taken about Facebook. You got life by the tail kid. Good luck.

  19. #89
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,061
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    asinine*
    Thanks, Grammar Nazi. I'll fix it.


  20. #90
    Member Mr.ThunderMakeR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,094

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    You guys haven't touched on one crucial point here.

    This is a message BOARD. Posts don't go away afer they are made. Any conversations here are not in real time, nothing here is time-sensitive. So why does p4e have to use textspeak to rush through making posts while he's in class or doing whatever that prevents him from taking the necessary (and oh so excessive) amount of time to write in full words/sentances? Just come back later when you have the time to actually write a post dude. Its not like the conversation is gonna be gone, it'll still be here.

  21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.ThunderMakeR For This Useful Post:


  22. #91
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Oh how I long for the days when we complained about the guy who posted in purple.

    And if anyone cares about my opinion I can't stand it when people use texting shortcuts. I also can't stand it when people don't use proper capitalization and punctuation.

  23. #92
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,855
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    http://www.nba.com/video/games/warri...nba/index.html


    who said grammer mattered lol "fnishes" LOL

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  25. #93
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.nba.com/video/games/warri...nba/index.html


    who said grammer mattered lol "fnishes" LOL
    There's a big difference between someone having an unintentional typo (that will more than likely be fixed) and someone willfully typing like a teenage girl on her cellphone.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:


  27. #94

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:


  29. #95
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,323

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    This is a message BOARD. Posts don't go away afer they are made. Any conversations here are not in real time, nothing here is time-sensitive. So why does p4e have to use textspeak to rush through making posts while he's in class or doing whatever that prevents him from taking the necessary (and oh so excessive) amount of time to write in full words/sentances? Just come back later when you have the time to actually write a post dude. Its not like the conversation is gonna be gone, it'll still be here.
    Wait, so we have to conform to your standards to make posts when we have time? That we have to make posts that look like yours?

    Who came in and made you boss? What if I only have 15 minutes a day to surf PD and want to comment on as many things possible? What if it's just easier and more natural type the way p4e types? Do you want to force me to type to your standards so that you can enjoy this forum.

    please. come on. that is so elitist. the elitist pushed by some posters like since and you and la is really really annoying. who says we asked for your help? who said that we aren't taken care of our own lives?

    like really.

  30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flox For This Useful Post:


  31. #96
    Member bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,583

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is a long-running debate already playing itself out with several different existing dialects. There's always a dominant dialect--in our case Standard Written English, the dialect of the powerful + influential (and white). Ragging on p4e for textspeak is the same as those who rag on blacks for not conjugating their to be verbs ("he be running") when speaking Black Vernacular English. Us Indiana hillbilly folks face a similar situation with words like warsh and y'all, or the way we truncate our -ing endings. etc. When one speaks in variant dialect among users of the dominant dialect, it's done either to make a statement, or out of naivete. Variant dialect speaking to variant dialect is a show of warmth, brotherhood.

    Variant dialects (including textspk) have their own grammar, and it takes just as much intelligence to deploy it eloquently as it does SWE. It's a mostly irritating rhetorical choice, sure, but no more so than kemo's stream-of-consciousness, punctuation-less style. The extra ire p4e draws is probably because of our built-in revulsion for anything other than what we see as The Only Correct English Grammar. . . . which really isn't totally fair, or really very nice at all. And if it bugs you that much, there's always the ignore feature.
    I disagree. The style employed pacer4eva borders on the unreadable. At some point, your use of a style or dialect interferes with your ability to communicate with a majority of the population.

    Secondly, although I have no proof, I believe that writing simply and clearly is the best way to learn how to organize your thoughts. When I'm puzzling through my own thoughts, it helps to internally organize my ideas as though I were writing an essay. In my opinion, writing well makes you smarter. Arguing on this message board about silly things like Mike Dunleavy's shot selection has actually taught me a thing or two about making arguments IRL.

    Finally, I don't buy your culturally relativistic theories about language. Those ideas were in vogue in the early 90's, but have since fallen out of favor. While we all speak in dialects, there is value to a standard grammar. I agree that the "standard" has historically been determined by WASP males, and that this is unfortunate and discriminatory for a variety of reasons, but speaking within a standard grammar communicates socially valuable information about the speaker to his audience. This "formal" standard indicates that the speaker wants to be treated formally, seriously, and with respect, as opposed to a casual dialectical style that might be used with friends and acquaintances. It is thus a valuable style to use in job interviews, when making arguments, etc.

    In summary, to me p4eva's style indicates he wants to be treated as silly and irreverent. That in itself isn't a problem for a message board, but his style is so peculiar that it's a chore to read. I don't care if he changes it, but that's how I see it. And I hope for his sake that he is able to emply standard grammar when the situation warrants it.

    Hope I didn't make the thread too political. It's an interesting discussion, hope it stays up.
    Last edited by bulldog; 10-09-2010 at 08:16 PM.
    2010 IKL Fantasy Basketball Champion Baltimore Bulldogs

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to bulldog For This Useful Post:


  33. #97
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    This isn't about conformity so much as it's about consideration.

    A guy can choose to "be himself" by refusing to bathe more than once a month or ever use deodorant if that's how he rolls, and he can also hang out in a crowded mall. But the shoppers aren't wrong to tell him he stinks and needs to take a bath.

  34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  35. #98
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,855
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's a big difference between someone having an unintentional typo (that will more than likely be fixed) and someone willfully typing like a teenage girl on her cellphone.
    i guess people on here cant joke lol

  36. #99
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This isn't about conformity so much as it's about consideration.

    A guy can choose to "be himself" by refusing to bathe more than once a month or ever use deodorant if that's how he rolls, and he can also hang out in a crowded mall. But the shoppers aren't wrong to tell him he stinks and needs to take a bath.
    To follow up on this, it would be wrong of the shoppers to assume that said smelly man doesn't know how to take a bath; he does but chooses not to. That's kind of what you're doing if you're knocking pacer4ever's intelligence or his education, which is the wrong way to go.

  37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  38. #100
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,930

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    It is kind of a turn off to see name calling of any kind going on, and I was hoping this is something that was above all in this thread.

    Sad to see that is not the case

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-19-2009, 01:26 PM
  2. Who's Watching Generation Kill?
    By JayRedd in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-14-2008, 09:26 AM
  3. Bennett admits mistakes in dealing with Seattle [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-18-2008, 07:30 PM
  4. HELP! I need ways of dealing with such a tough loss
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 07:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •