Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 151 to 169 of 169

Thread: Dealing with Generation Text

  1. #151
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,324

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    I think when members try to make others post in a way that is acceptable to them, that is slightly elitist. Especially when there are no rules say that the person can't do that.

  2. #152
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Nobody's making anyone do anything.

    e·lit·ism or é·lit·ism (-ltzm, -l-)
    n.
    The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.

    Show me where this is happening in this thread. We're just encouraging a young person to write a little more clearly, and honestly since this thread started he is MUCH IMPROVED.

    I want p4e to have of the equal benefits and enjoyment of the forums as everyone else. This is a community centered on dialogue. and in order to enjoy the forums fully, we encourage him to increase his chances of conversation with all of the members here by writing a little -- not a lot, just a little -- more legibly.
    Last edited by Los Angeles; 10-13-2010 at 11:35 PM.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:


  4. #153
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,097

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Cuz"?




    .
    Well, that's how Huck talked.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  5. #154
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nobody's making anyone do anything.

    e·lit·ism or é·lit·ism (-ltzm, -l-)
    n.
    The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.

    Show me where this is happening in this thread. We're just encouraging a young person to write a little more clearly, and honestly since this thread started he is MUCH IMPROVED.

    I want p4e to have of the equal benefits and enjoyment of the forums as everyone else. This is a community centered on dialogue. and in order to enjoy the forums fully, we encourage him to increase his chances of conversation with all of the members here by writing a little -- not a lot, just a little -- more legibly.

    There is elitism here at PD. There are members-only forums all over the place, most of which I and many of the forum's longest standing members are not allowed access to. You want to talk about elitism, it's not about encouraging better communication. It's about privilege and the exclusion of others from a fair chance at that privilege.

    I don't see that happening in this thread. If anything, the opposite has happened.
    What a great post.

    If there really are hidden forums that only certain members are privy to, then yes, that would be a bit disheartening (and seem to fit the definition of “elitism”), but honestly nothing surprises me anymore.

    My biggest complaint about this forum (much like my biggest complaint about most organizations/relationships) is a lack of communication.


    This thread has allowed both sides to voice their respective opinion. We all may not agree with each other, but at least we are having a honest, open discussion in the public where everyone can see/hear it.

  6. #155
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,324

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    See:



    Did you really just post quotes from a Pokemon forum? I don't get what your point is here. Are you trying to compare pacer4ever to children? Are you saying Pacers Digest is elititist because we would like posts to be written with better grammar than kids in grade school? That's a bit of a stretch...
    Well, uh yes, since I used to be a very frequent poster of that forum. I tend to go back time to time to see new developments...

    And I'm really not too happy about people telling other people how to write in a non-academic or non-work setting. A forum is where people should be allowed to type in what fashion they want as long as it's within forum rules.

    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    e·lit·ism or é·lit·ism (-ltzm, -l-)
    n.
    The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.

    Show me where this is happening in this thread. We're just encouraging a young person to write a little more clearly, and honestly since this thread started he is MUCH IMPROVED.

    I want p4e to have of the equal benefits and enjoyment of the forums as everyone else. This is a community centered on dialogue. and in order to enjoy the forums fully, we encourage him to increase his chances of conversation with all of the members here by writing a little -- not a lot, just a little -- more legibly.
    Yes yes, that's fine and all. Good for you.

    http://mw2.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/elitism

    : the selectivity of the elite; especially : snobbery

    http://mw2.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/snob

    snob:

    a : one who tends to rebuff, avoid, or ignore those regarded as inferior

    Typing in a poor manner causing his posts to avoided or less feedback, as if his posts are inferior, or the manner of his speech or form of typing is inferior, especially when he doesn't want to change.

  7. #156
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    I see your point.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  8. #157
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Like I said [numerous times], I think both sides are correct.

    FTR, I do not think he does not want to change. He has gotten better about his typing as of late, so either he is workign with a typing program or he is just taking a extra second to proof his texts. Either way he has gotten much better IMHO

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:


  10. #158
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacer Purgatory Praying for Paul
    Posts
    3,564
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Whether it matters or not, I respect pacer4ever's opinions and I really appreciate his efforts on his recent postings. Great job!

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:


  12. #159
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,324

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whether it matters or not, I respect pacer4ever's opinions and I really appreciate his efforts on his recent postings. Great job!
    I think this is something we can all agree on. The content of p4e postings have been great- p4e always has good stuff to talk about or good stories to share, regardless of the manner in which p4e has shared it.

  13. #160
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    As someone who started posting on here as a young person and using my own form of shorthand (I remember I used cuz once and got poked fun at), honestly I don't think this is a dynamic that requires so much ganging-up or overt attention. In any group one learns over time to meld one's own idiosyncratic style of expression with the need to engage with the group as a whole. Piling-ons such as this only result in unneeded hurt feelings and anger (anyone remember the hubbub around P_G and her one-line posts?). It's something that would've evolved without all the weirdness.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post:


  15. #161
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,219

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by flox View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think this is something we can all agree on. The content of p4e postings have been great- p4e always has good stuff to talk about or good stories to share, regardless of the manner in which p4e has shared it.
    Kind of hard to know if he's saying "good stuff" when you can't read his posts. That's the point.

    We're not trying to make him conform, he can type in short hand if he wants. I think most of us can read your pokemon examples without difficulty. If he has spelling mistakes, or uses the word "wut" instead of "what" I don't think he'll find people objecting.

    It's when you can't understand what he says, it becomes a problem.

    But no, we're just ******** trying to make him be like us.

    I don't care if he types in purple, like another poster used too, just as long as I can understand what he's saying. Why in the world we need 5 pages to say "hey man, we can't understand you. Can you help us out a bit?" Needs to turn into the other side calling us "elitest" or "snobs" is a joke.

    Type however you want too, but when half the forum can't read your post, and doesn't interact with you, you will know why.

  16. #162
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,324

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    I don't care if he types in purple, like another poster used too, just as long as I can understand what he's saying. Why in the world we need 5 pages to say "hey man, we can't understand you. Can you help us out a bit?" Needs to turn into the other side calling us "elitest" or "snobs" is a joke.

    Type however you want too, but when half the forum can't read your post, and doesn't interact with you, you will know why.
    Plenty of people interact with his posts already. This shouldn't have been a problem. McKey shouldn't have made a thread about this. There should have been no attempt on selling him to type better other than just saying
    "hey man, we can't understand you. Can you help us out a bit?"

    But no, you claim:

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's when you can't understand what he says, it becomes a problem.

    But no, we're just ******** trying to make him be like us.
    Yes, you are an *******. You've made one disparaging remark on him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Okay, you got me. My examples were meant to be solely taken about Facebook. You got life by the tail kid. Good luck.
    You've tried to improve his life. Because if he types properly and does all these things, he'll get a better job. What an elitist notion- he has made no indication that he wants or needs life advice, or that he is in a situation where he needs help improving his online image so that he can get hired, or that he will get facebook background checked, and yet here you are espousing the benefits of typing better because of the examples that you have personally had with friends over 21 as athletes about posting pictures on facebook and the protection of an online image as athletes are representative of the university. Because that's the kind of life he is living or will live in the future. Right. That's not elitist at all. Not everyone wants or can have that kind of lifestyle where they have a facebook or apply to a job that facebook background checks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't care if he types in purple, like another poster used too, just as long as I can understand what he's saying. Why in the world we need 5 pages to say "hey man, we can't understand you. Can you help us out a bit?" Needs to turn into the other side calling us "elitest" or "snobs" is a joke.

    Type however you want too, but when half the forum can't read your post, and doesn't interact with you, you will know why.
    Why couldn't you have just said "hey man, we can't understand you. Can you help us out a bit?"

    Why did you instead have to go and post about

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've read this argument from you multiple times, and each time it confuses me just as much as the last time.

    Obviously you want people to read your posts, or you wouldn't post. You think you can add value to this forum, or you wouldn't take up your time.

    Do you talk to walls? Probably not, because it would be pointless. The wall can't interact with you. But yet you sit back and try to say whether or not people read your posts doesn't matter to you. Well, I call bull****.

    And I fear every time the subject is brought up, it only hardens your stance to do it the way you want. You don't want to "give in."
    You think his arguments don't make sense- that he doesn't want to give in. Give in to what? I thought you said you weren't trying to make him conform. Because you call bull**** on him. Because you put his typing as rebellious and thinks that he doesn't want to give in.

    Because you (note the bolded I) can't read his posts and therefore wants him type better EVEN though he says that he really doesn't care if you specifically read his post. When YOU then called bull**** on what he said because it didn't conform to your belief of him.

    And you had to be confrontational about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No that's not it. You come here to share you feelings and opinions. There are many people that come here to just get news and rumors, who never post a thing.

    You're obviously not one of them.
    Because you refuse to understand his explainations because they don't fit your point of view. See my argument with you about the Spurs, when I have Spurs fans who post here agreeing with me versus you, who I'm pretty sure doesn't even follow the Spurs. Because what he says is not true about himself? And yet you aren't making him do anything? When you are making arguments saying that what he says isn't true? Because you know better about him than he knows about himself?

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to flox For This Useful Post:


  18. #163
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,219

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    You're a freaking joke. We're talking about the whole GENERATION TEXT in this thread, not just about P4e. I don't give two ****s what kind of job he ends up getting. If he cleans out toilets for a living, it won't bother me one moment.

    I'm saying if you want to be taken seriously, then act serious. How hard is that to understand? Do you really think that I care if he has pictures of him partying on his facebook account? REALLY????? Go ahead and post pictures of you doing coke, I don't care. It doesn't influence my life for one millisecond.

    What I am trying to do is give the kid advice, something that I've already gone through. If I can tell you something that has happened to me, or someone I know, and it helps you avoid the same mistake, I'm going to share. Not to make me seem cool or elite, but to help YOU.

    My God, this is the only thread where giving someone SIMPLE advice makes people ********. It's a joke.

    If you don't want it, then fine. You don't have to take it.

    And this isn't the first time we've talked to P4e about his typing habits. We HAVE TOLD HIM WE COULDN'T UNDERSTAND.

    And really about the ****ing Spurs? Get your damn facts straight about years and then we can talk about the ****ing Spurs. Beno Udrih didn't play in the NBA until 2004, which was three years AFTER Tony Paker. Spurs fans can't possibly agree with your position, because you are 100% wrong on when you say it happend.

    So what if Beno challenged Tony in his 4th year? That proves my original point that it doesn't matter your expectations when you're drafted, but the better player should play.

    But whatever. Keep telling me that Beno challenged Tony in his rookie year, I mean his second year (since you've atleast changed that part of your argument) when Beno was still overseas. Yep, you got me. Good job.

  19. #164
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,324

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're a freaking joke. We're talking about the whole GENERATION TEXT in this thread, not just about P4e. I don't give two ****s what kind of job he ends up getting. If he cleans out toilets for a living, it won't bother me one moment.
    Thanks, because you made it clear that you are talking about generation text. Especially when in the post I quoted, you refer specifically to p4e as he and keep that he static through the entire post.

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What I am trying to do is give the kid advice, something that I've already gone through. If I can tell you something that has happened to me, or someone I know, and it helps you avoid the same mistake, I'm going to share. Not to make me seem cool or elite, but to help YOU.
    no one asked for that advice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My God, this is the only thread where giving someone SIMPLE advice makes people ********. It's a joke.

    If you don't want it, then fine. You don't have to take it.
    You don't have to post it either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And this isn't the first time we've talked to P4e about his typing habits. We HAVE TOLD HIM WE COULDN'T UNDERSTAND.
    Sure, because he cares so much about certain people who can't understand his posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And really about the ****ing Spurs? Get your damn facts straight about years and then we can talk about the ****ing Spurs. Beno Udrih didn't play in the NBA until 2004, which was three years AFTER Tony Paker. Spurs fans can't possibly agree with your position, because you are 100% wrong on when you say it happend.

    So what if Beno challenged Tony in his 4th year? That proves my original point that it doesn't matter your expectations when you're drafted, but the better player should play.
    At least one Spurs fan on this forum agrees that Parker got ridden hard his rookie year. No one has come out to contradict me, no Spurs fan on this forum has told me that I am wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But whatever. Keep telling me that Beno challenged Tony in his rookie year, I mean his second year (since you've atleast changed that part of your argument) when Beno was still overseas. Yep, you got me. Good job.
    Sure. At least you are reading my posts- although I've obviously stated that we are talking about Parker/Claxton and Udrih/Van Exel at least twice now.

  20. #165
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Sorry Flox, I think you have noble intentions but I agree with Since86.

    I post advice a lot, and I do so not to be eletist but in the hopes that make someone out there (even not a registered member but instead a lurker) might not make that same mistake that I did/ have seen others make.

    Does that make me an *******? If so, then I apologize that you feel that way, but I do not think it does.

    FWIW, this thread was dealing with a whole "generation" but was inspired by P4E psots. I do not think every was attacking him, as much as they were expressing frustration with dealing with people who use short-hand.

    You can argue both sides, and I still stand by the notion both sides are correct. I do think if you cut out all the BS what you end up with is.

    SIDE 1: We want to understand what you are typing, please clean it up a bit so we can communicate better.

    SIDE 2: It does not matter if you can understand him, as long as you can reply you understand enough of it to make conversation

    SIDE 1: Isnt the point of a forum to communicate and be heard

    SIDE 2: Hey, hey isnt complaining. If you truly hate it ignore it and he will either adapt or give up and leave

    SIDE 1: Fine, but just be careful and here are some tips on how this stuff (internet/social sites) can get you in trouble

    SIDE 2: Who cares, it is his life, let him live it.

    Both sides are correct, and I truly beleive both sides want the same result, they are just wording it diffrently.

  21. #166
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,219

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    1. I'll use your excuse from the Pacers board. This entire thread is about Generation Text, so obviously my post should pertain to the topic.

    2. P4e didn't ask for your defense either. So why are you doing it?

    3. Obviously he does care about who reads his post, or he wouldn't post and he wouldn't respond to them/us.

    4. And no Spurs fan on this board has backed up your claims either.

    5. So that's your big defense? I mention Tony Parker directly and you tell me how Udrih took time away from him, and then change it to Beno/Van Exel and that proves me wrong?

    You remind me of a Dave Chappell skit where he talks about how women will do/say anything to win a fight. "Baby why didn't you wash your dishes?" "Premature ejaculator."

    It's obvious you just want to argue, and I'm done playing the game.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  23. #167
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,020

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    7 pages?

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  25. #168
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    7 pages?
    lol i guess they think im that important lol

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  27. #169
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Time to close this.

  28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-19-2009, 01:26 PM
  2. Who's Watching Generation Kill?
    By JayRedd in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-14-2008, 09:26 AM
  3. Bennett admits mistakes in dealing with Seattle [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-18-2008, 07:30 PM
  4. HELP! I need ways of dealing with such a tough loss
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 07:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •