Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 169

Thread: Dealing with Generation Text

  1. #26
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,077

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think your BS meter is way off, most young people don't give a damn what people think about them. I'm 29, and a decade ago I didn't give a crap as to what people thought of me or what I said and how I said it. A 19 year old only cares about sports, girls, money, and doing things the way they want to do them. Its part of growing up. Trying to control a 19-20 year old is about as futile as talking to wall...
    And I'm 24. Still in college, and go out to the bars 3-4 times a week. I think I'm pretty much square in the "young people" camp.

    I started posting on this forum when I was 18.

    Trying to control them is my whole point about the "don't want to give in." I've done many things in my life for the sole reason because someone told me I shouldn't. Not proud of it, but afterwards you look back at how stupid it was.

    And I'm not trying to control him, I'm trying to identify with him. Trust me, I know what it's like to be a "young kid." I am one.

  2. #27
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacer Purgatory Praying for Paul
    Posts
    3,559
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    For a student who has claimed to score 90% in English class (wouldn't it have been shorter to use "A" instead of 90%?), pacer4ever (probably meant "pacers4ever but truncated even his own username) has a difficult time expressing himself properly even with his hybridized texting style due to spelling errors and abbreviation ambiguities.

    This either is a sad commentary on the state of education with respect to English at his school, or simply that he has been positively reinforced by both his peers and those he communicates with elsewhere to such a level that coherency in the non-verbal expression of thought is secondary to the speed of expression of that thought. That is a shame, because he seems to have worthwhile contributions and insights as a young fan, but will continue to be marginalized by many serious posters here due to an unwillingness to utilize a little more self discipline by proofreading what he posts to make sure that it should make sense to those who don't know both him, and his expressional tendencies, well enough to compensate for his lack of accuracy and punctuation because they have likely heard him actually speak and have some preconceptions of what he is likely to say about a given subject.

    For example, I'll bet that I have made 20 or more mistakes during the typing of this post ranging from typos to outright grammatical and spelling errors. I have, however, gone back and proofread and corrected them, and even caught some of them as I typed. This is just common courtesy in my view, and is what pacer4ever has been lacking.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:


  4. #28
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,077

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    wow lol u are out of touch with the bs meter lol it isnt about "givin in" i come here to get news and rumors on the pacers thats it

    No that's not it. You come here to share you feelings and opinions. There are many people that come here to just get news and rumors, who never post a thing.

    You're obviously not one of them.

  5. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For a student who has claimed to score 90% in English class (wouldn't it have been shorter to use "A" instead of 90%?), pacer4ever (probably meant "pacers4ever but truncated even his own username) has a difficult time expressing himself properly even with his hybridized texting style due to spelling errors and abbreviation ambiguities.

    This either is a sad commentary on the state of education with respect to English at his school, or simply that he has been positively reinforced by both his peers and those he communicates with elsewhere to such a level that coherency in the non-verbal expression of thought is secondary to the speed of expression of that thought. That is a shame, because he seems to have worthwhile contributions and insights as a young fan, but will continue to be marginalized by many serious posters here due to an unwillingness to utilize a little more self discipline by proofreading what he posts to make sure that it should make sense to those who don't know both him, and his expressional tendencies, well enough to compensate for his lack of accuracy and punctuation because they have likely heard him actually speak and have some preconceptions of what he is likely to say about a given subject.

    For example, I'll bet that I have made 20 or more mistakes during the typing of this post ranging from typos to outright grammatical and spelling errors. I have, however, gone back and proofread and corrected them, and even caught some of them as I typed. This is just common courtesy in my view, and is what pacer4ever has been lacking.
    lol grammer at my school when i do skool work i use good gramer. I like pacer4ever beter than pacers4ever WHO CARES ABOUT GRAMMER IT IS THE INTERNET!!!! Go F yself instead of talking about grammer **** get a hobby maybe english is ur hobby **** just ingnore my post if u dont understand shorthand ok have a nice day

  6. #30
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacer Purgatory Praying for Paul
    Posts
    3,559
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    lol grammer at my school when i do skool work i use good gramer. I like pacer4ever beter than pacers4ever WHO CARES ABOUT GRAMMER IT IS THE INTERNET!!!! Go F yself instead of talking about grammer **** get a hobby maybe english is ur hobby **** just ingnore my post if u dont understand shorthand ok have a nice day
    No offense was intended, and my opinion is my own. In case you didn't notice, I did compliment you on the fact that I believe you should post because you have insights that do contribute to the board.

    Also, interestingly, I have been one of the few posters who have translated your posts elsewhere on the board, thereby demonstrating my ability to understand them, and having taken the time to do so, whether that time is valuable or not.

    Speaking of hobbies, coming to PD is my primary hobby.

    I understand your anger and the profanities you have expressed towards me about this touchy subject. You are, after all, 17, and have yet to learn what many of the rest of us already have had the life experiences to learn.

    Maybe this is the easy way for you to become aware of this issue before you must interact for the purposes of employment or higher education opportunities that a 90% English student will likely be exposed to during the next several years. Hopefully you will learn something positive from your experiences here that will aid you going forward.

    And, I will have a nice day! Thanks!

  7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:


  8. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No offense was intended, and my opinion is my own. In case you didn't notice, I did compliment you on the fact that I believe you should post because you have insights that do contribute to the board.

    Also, interestingly, I have been one of the few posters who have translated your posts elsewhere on the board, thereby demonstrating my ability to understand them, and having taken the time to do so, whether that time is valuable or not.

    Speaking of hobbies, coming to PD is my primary hobby.

    I understand your anger and the profanities you have expressed towards me about this touchy subject. You are, after all, 17, and have yet to learn what many of the rest of us already have had the life experiences to learn.

    Maybe this is the easy way for you to become aware of this issue before you must interact for the purposes of employment or higher education opportunities that a 90% English student will likely be exposed to during the next several years. Hopefully you will learn something positive from your experiences here that will aid you going forward.

    And, I will have a nice day! Thanks!
    im in higher education i go to classes at the airport to become an airplane tech. english isnt a promb it is the internet u dont get graded on how u speak to people on what people they think about the pacers it is fun not work or skool

  9. #32
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    At least you didn't overuse or misuse "lol" in that last post.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:


  11. #33
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,077

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    im in higher education i go to classes at the airport to become an airplane tech. english isnt a promb it is the internet u dont get graded on how u speak to people on what people they think about the pacers it is fun not work or skool

    No but you get judged. And you get judged by people that has zero consequence to your life, and you get judged by people that can literally make or break your life.

    Facebook is a perfect example, and one that you've probably not had to deal with on a larger basis.

    Example: I hang out with college athletes. They're above 21. They drink at a party, people take pictures, pictures are posted on Facebook. The university has people who surf facebook looking for things, either major infractions or minor it doesn't matter. It's against the NCAA rules for athletes to drink. Alcohol is on their banned substance list.

    Who cares if they drink? They're 21, they're legally allowed too. But yet I know people who got suspended because of it.

    Second case in point: Employers look you up on facebook. If you go out and seem "wild" either in photos or in the way people write on your wall, they use that to evaluate whether or not you will get the job.


    I agree that it's stupid, and what people do on their own time shouldn't reflect on your ability to do a job. But that's just not reality.

    You might not fully understand it, but this is actually advice. You might not think it matters, but it does.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  13. #34

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is a long-running debate already playing itself out with several different existing dialects. There's always a dominant dialect--in our case Standard Written English, the dialect of the powerful + influential (and white). Ragging on p4e for textspeak is the same as those who rag on blacks for not conjugating their to be verbs ("he be running") when speaking Black Vernacular English. Us Indiana hillbilly folks face a similar situation with words like warsh and y'all, or the way we truncate our -ing endings. etc. When one speaks in variant dialect among users of the dominant dialect, it's done either to make a statement, or out of naivete. Variant dialect speaking to variant dialect is a show of warmth, brotherhood.

    Variant dialects (including textspk) have their own grammar, and it takes just as much intelligence to deploy it eloquently as it does SWE. It's a mostly irritating rhetorical choice, sure, but no more so than kemo's stream-of-consciousness, punctuation-less style. The extra ire p4e draws is probably because of our built-in revulsion for anything other than what we see as The Only Correct English Grammar. . . . which really isn't totally fair, or really very nice at all. And if it bugs you that much, there's always the ignore feature.
    I disagree, this isn't a racial or cultural issue. Cultural relativism does not apply to the written word. Speaking and the written word are different. You don't find too many published novels written in eubonics or LOLspeak... (except the lolcat bible, best version ever! http://www.lolcatbible.com )

    It is just laziness in typing and the person doing this comes off like a total idiot. That or 17 is the new 12... what are they teaching these kids now days? It is definitely not worth my time to try figure out what the hell he is trying to say. The problem is that the guy is spamming posts with this nonsense that no one else understands. You know, a poorly written post inserted once in a while is alright, but when it's lolspeak posts filling up over half of a thread... I mean come on...

    In closing...
    Blessinz of teh Ceiling Cat be apwn yu, srsly.

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:


  15. #35
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,323

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Since what was your background when you were growing up? It doesn't seem like you get the side that pacer4ever is presenting..

    Like for instance the advice you are giving suggests that you are college educated in some sort of non arts degree, with experiences in the corporate side of the world or some sort of business or office or more or less "white collar' side of lifestyle.

    But I don't think you understand where pacer4ever or where I am coming from.

    Like Brad8888 I can read his posts clearly and I like some of his ideas, and I make a choice to type properly in this forum, whereas if you see me go to my other sports forums or other forums my level of grammar and use of the English language fall dramatically.

    I mean there is no code here that suggests that we have to post in a proper- coherent manner- just look at the way Kemo or Seth posts- and they seem to have enough followers.

    And while they may come off like an idiot here- if you can speak that kind of way in forums dominated by 13-25 year olds, well, then you just look like an outsider or someone who is just plain old.

    so nxt time b4 u guys be hatin on da way me and my fellas type on the web, juss be thinkin da we come from a diff demo wit a diff kinda peeps o wut not n typin like dis is da norm kk?

    cause doin it n e other way be considered old n wut not and juss looks weird cause dis be the informal internet n we don't care. and typin in an old, formal, style just makes you look just that- old, formal, boring, and out of touch.

    That is all.

  16. #36
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree, this isn't a racial or cultural issue. Cultural relativism does not apply to the written word. Speaking and the written word are different. You don't find too many published novels written in eubonics or LOLspeak... (except the lolcat bible, best version ever! http://www.lolcatbible.com )

    It is just laziness in typing and the person doing this comes off like a total idiot. That or 17 is the new 12... what are they teaching these kids now days? It is definitely not worth my time to try figure out what the hell he is trying to say. The problem is that the guy is spamming posts with this nonsense that no one else understands. You know, a poorly written post inserted once in a while is alright, but when it's lolspeak posts filling up over half of a thread... I mean come on...

    In closing...
    Blessinz of teh Ceiling Cat be apwn yu, srsly.
    Why wouldn't it apply to the written word? There is an abundance of novels written in dialect--some of them among the best of all-time.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  17. #37
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For a student who has claimed to score 90% in English class (wouldn't it have been shorter to use "A" instead of 90%?), pacer4ever (probably meant "pacers4ever but truncated even his own username) has a difficult time expressing himself properly even with his hybridized texting style due to spelling errors and abbreviation ambiguities.

    This either is a sad commentary on the state of education with respect to English at his school, or simply that he has been positively reinforced by both his peers and those he communicates with elsewhere to such a level that coherency in the non-verbal expression of thought is secondary to the speed of expression of that thought. That is a shame, because he seems to have worthwhile contributions and insights as a young fan, but will continue to be marginalized by many serious posters here due to an unwillingness to utilize a little more self discipline by proofreading what he posts to make sure that it should make sense to those who don't know both him, and his expressional tendencies, well enough to compensate for his lack of accuracy and punctuation because they have likely heard him actually speak and have some preconceptions of what he is likely to say about a given subject.

    For example, I'll bet that I have made 20 or more mistakes during the typing of this post ranging from typos to outright grammatical and spelling errors. I have, however, gone back and proofread and corrected them, and even caught some of them as I typed. This is just common courtesy in my view, and is what pacer4ever has been lacking.
    90% is not always an A. (I don't think it ever has been for me in school--A-minus maybe).

    Don't really understand why you're going out of your way to browbeat a kid. That you can write fluently in SWE isn't particularly impressive.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post:


  19. #38

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by flox View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Since what was your background when you were growing up? It doesn't seem like you get the side that pacer4ever is presenting..

    Like for instance the advice you are giving suggests that you are college educated in some sort of non arts degree, with experiences in the corporate side of the world or some sort of business or office or more or less "white collar' side of lifestyle.
    Are you implying that in order to type properly you need to be college educated? Have our public schools failed us that much? I never went to college, but I am not a freakin moron.

    How hard is it to take some time to make a proper posting or better yet, care enough to make a proper post and if the person just doesn't care enough because it's just the internet, then what does that say about his feelings towards this board eh?. It's self respect and it's also about respect of the rest of the PD community who will attempt to read these posts. Like I said, I don't really care about a few posts here or there, but when it is non stop in every thread... it brings the quality of this forum down.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:


  21. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    My high school had a 94-100 A scale, but I thought most high schools (and every college I have attended) had a 10 point scale.

    I hated that my high school had a 6 point scale.

  22. #40

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why wouldn't it apply to the written word? There is an abundance of novels written in dialect--some of them among the best of all-time.
    Like what?

  23. #41
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,082

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Huckleberry Finn.

    Also, if you don't think the written word changes, try picking up a Dickens novel.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  24. #42

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Mark Twain was a master of the English language though. Dialogue from one of his characters does not count.
    And sure language changes. The English that King James used is not relative today. But to say that lolspeak is just as correct as standard modern english is ridiculous.

    It's a free country, and more importantly the mods of this board have said they don't care if people post in lolspeak or whatever you call it.. textspeak I guess, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't call it what it is. Pure laziness and uneducated drivel worthy of ridicule.

    Why would anyone consider a persons insights and opinions as useful or worth even considering when that person can't even be bothered to make it coherent in the first place? Let's be real here.
    Last edited by PaceBalls; 10-07-2010 at 05:41 PM.

  25. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    I actually think both sides are right in this debate



    What I am curious about if how long will text speak be around? I personally catch myself using it on facebook chat or via text with friends and loved ones, but I do wonder if it will die down. My opinion is it will, and I think it already has, as more people are realizing there is a time and place for it (not at work, on resumes, on cover letters, etc) Guess time will tell



    P.S. This thread reminds me of when we had to memorize "to be or not to be" for my movement for the stage class. Pure torture, and even when I had to do my "scene" (more of a presentation) I still did not have it down 100%. The only down side to have a teacher who got her Masters in Shakespearean theatre.

  26. #44
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Like what?
    Deviating from SWE (or the standard dialect of whatever language they're writing in) is as old as chapter breaks, in terms of the history of the novel. David Foster Wallace was skilled with dialect. Joyce, Hurston, Burgess, Faulkner all did, of the top of my head. Huckleberry Finn is written in dialect.


    Click spoiler for an excerpt from one of CW Chestnutt's stories (he was one of the finest American story writers ever)--

    Spoiler Spoiler:
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  27. #45
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mark Twain was a master of the English language though. Dialogue from one of his characters does not count.
    And sure language changes. The English that King James used is not relative today. But to say that lolspeak is just as correct as standard modern english is ridiculous. It's a free country, and more importantly the mods of this board have said they don't care if people post in lolspeak or whatever you call it.. textspeak I guess, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't call it what it is. Pure laziness and uneducated drivel worthy of ridicule.
    Why would anyone consider a persons insights and opinions as useful or worth even considering when they can't even be bothered to make it coherent in the first place? Let's be real here.
    The entire book is in dialect, not just the words the characters speak.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  28. #46
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,082

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The entire book is in dialect, not just the words the characters speak.
    Cuz the story is told by Huck Finn.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  30. #47
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,082

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Actually, I got a little weary of the Huckspeak, too.

    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  31. #48

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    I don't think anyone is going to confuse our modern day lolspeakers with Mark Twain...

  32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:


  33. #49
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,082

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    However, a modern Mark Twain just might try to write a novel in textspeak. Or ebonics (probably already been done).
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  35. #50

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    However, a modern Mark Twain just might try to write a novel in textspeak. Or ebonics (probably already been done).
    just one word...

    lol

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-19-2009, 01:26 PM
  2. Who's Watching Generation Kill?
    By JayRedd in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-14-2008, 09:26 AM
  3. Bennett admits mistakes in dealing with Seattle [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-18-2008, 07:30 PM
  4. HELP! I need ways of dealing with such a tough loss
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 07:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •