Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 169

Thread: Dealing with Generation Text

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,220

    Default Dealing with Generation Text

    This is the place to discuss Pacers4Life and his texting style, so as now to disrupt all the other threads on other matters.

    You know, this "discussion" with our new favorite 17 year old may be a precursor to a serious philosophical and practical battles in our culture ten or twenty years from now.

    It all depends on if texting continues to be very dominant (sorry Peck) in the years to come. (For instance, voice recognition could take some steam out of it.) But if it does, then we may see a battle between what is correct grammar. I mean, we don't use Shakespearian English any more, and those guys told Chaucer to take a hike.

    So who knows?
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  2. #2
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,498

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text


    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,220

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's what Chaucer said.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  5. #4

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:


  7. #5

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    It is the internet, who cares

  8. #6

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    I'm 61 years old, and I have no clue what the kid is saying -- but then there are other things that throw me, too. I have to stop and think hard about which player goes with which initials. And, I swear that everytime I hear the name Paul George, my first thought is where are John and Ringo?

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cherokee For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,220

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm 61 years old, and I have no clue what the kid is saying -- but then there are other things that throw me, too. I have to stop and think hard about which player goes with which initials. And, I swear that everytime I hear the name Paul George, my first thought is where are John and Ringo?
    Good one.

    Also, "PG" can also mean point guard.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  11. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,882
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    wow u made a thead about this lol wat a joke nothing better 2 do???

  12. #9
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,220

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    wow u made a thead about this lol wat a joke nothing better 2 do???
    Actually, didn't want to waste time in bball threads discussing it. This is the better place.

    "Nothing better to do?"—actually, many of the guys on this board have better things to do than try to decipher your texting. They are giving up their valuable time to try to work through it with you. As am I.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  14. #10
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,524

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually, didn't want to waste time in bball threads discussing it. This is the better place.

    "Nothing better to do?"—actually, many of the guys on this board have better things to do than try to decipher your texting. They are giving up their valuable time to try to work through it with you. As am I.
    WOW....giving up their valuable time reading his posts? Get outta here, it must not be that valuable to begin with if they are choosing to spend it on a message board.

    How about you just let them choose whether they want to spend the time reading his posts or not.

    Absolutely no need to call out a poster and ridicule their grammar by starting a thread about it.

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:


  16. #11
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,220

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    WOW....giving up their valuable time reading his posts? Get outta here, it must not be that valuable to begin with if they are choosing to spend it on a message board.

    How about you just let them choose whether they want to spend the time reading his posts or not.

    Absolutely no need to call out a poster and ridicule their grammar by starting a thread about it.
    You need to reread the OP. That's anything but ridicule.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  18. #12
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,524

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You need to reread the OP. That's anything but ridicule.
    The way I'm seeing it, you started this thread as a means for everyone to jump in and pile on this kid's poor grammar. As a way to tell him that he needs to conform to the group think, typical PD group think strikes again. If his posts are so offensive to comprehend then don't read them, either he will edit his grammar better or get tired of it all and stop posting.

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:


  20. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,882
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    WOW....giving up their valuable time reading his posts? Get outta here, it must not be that valuable to begin with if they are choosing to spend it on a message board.

    How about you just let them choose whether they want to spend the time reading his posts or not.

    Absolutely no need to call out a poster and ridicule their grammar by starting a thread about it.
    ya lol i should pay them for their time they spend reading my post lol because their time is so valuable and i have mind controll and make them read my posts LOL HA lol

  21. #14
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,756

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ya lol i should pay them for their time they spend reading my post lol because their time is so valuable and i have mind controll and make them read my posts LOL HA lol
    I've read this argument from you multiple times, and each time it confuses me just as much as the last time.

    Obviously you want people to read your posts, or you wouldn't post. You think you can add value to this forum, or you wouldn't take up your time.

    Do you talk to walls? Probably not, because it would be pointless. The wall can't interact with you. But yet you sit back and try to say whether or not people read your posts doesn't matter to you. Well, I call bull****.

    And I fear every time the subject is brought up, it only hardens your stance to do it the way you want. You don't want to "give in."

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  23. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,882
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    how do i ignore a thead lol

  24. #16
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,756

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    I don't think it's meant to ridicule, but to inform.

    While it's pacer4ever's "right" to speak/write anyway he wishes, sometimes exercising that "right" isn't the best way to go about it.

    We all make concessions to live together in society. I don't think slowing down and actually spelling out words is all that big of a deal.

    Does it really pain someone to add the 'h' in the word "what?" Seriously, you save how much time by saying "wat" instead? Putting the word "2" in place of "to" saves how much time?

    If I wanted too, I could go around and call people names all day long. It's well within my right. But would someone argue in my defense when/if I got banned? I'm not saying he should be banned, I'm saying sometimes exercising your right, just isn't right......

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  26. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,326

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    yo man i dun under stand y thur b so much haterate going on 4 the way we talk these days it ain't so bad txting is ez nd fun nd sumtimes u jus need to be all abt da speed so watever mang.


    I mean a make a conscious effort not to type like I text, but sometimes its just so easy. I mean when you text and you're in a high pressure situation (in class, with a girl, etc), you gotta go for the speed.

    And sometimes that speed just translates into real life. Its easy and most youngins can read it.

  27. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,326

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    ya man if like there was a real problem u had wit the way he writes then y do dis in such a public forum if it aint meant 2 b sum kind of haterate or nothin. jus sayin.

    if dis was such a big problem as u say it is then mayb sumone come in and jus stop it but no need to go out and disrespect so much.

  28. #19
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    33
    Posts
    5,069
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by flox View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ya man if like there was a real problem u had wit the way he writes then y do dis in such a public forum if it aint meant 2 b sum kind of haterate or nothin. jus sayin.

    if dis was such a big problem as u say it is then mayb sumone come in and jus stop it but no need to go out and disrespect so much.
    What did the hater eat?

  29. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,326

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    since86 its just a way we talk don't try to read any more into it than there is.

    i think we shuld be able 2 type in watever fashion we think is right man, whether i be on a hardcore srs pacer forum where dis kind of type aint so liked but still dun mean we can't type dis way.

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to flox For This Useful Post:


  31. #21
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,220

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by flox View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    since86 its just a way we talk don't try to read any more into it than there is.

    i think we shuld be able 2 type in watever fashion we think is right man, whether i be on a hardcore srs pacer forum where dis kind of type aint so liked but still dun mean we can't type dis way.
    There really is no law to it. That's part of why it's fascinating, as Anthem mentioned in the hijacked thread.

    The law is: Love thy neighbor. There is also the law of self-interest: if you want to be influential, then you need to tailor your communication appropriately.

    Language changes. Constantly. But there are also rules. Yet, how long do they last, and who agrees to the changes?
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  32. #22
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But there are also rules. Yet, how long do they last, and who agrees to the changes?
    Rules for certain situations. Linguistic snobbery is usually the result of thinking the rules for one situation must apply to every situation. (Not implying you've done this.)

    The keen speaker stays aware of the situation and bends or works within the rules to his benefit. is p4e a keen speaker? He's got us debating the merit of txtspk; maybe that was his goal. Dunno. If his goal was to have his sports opinions taken as seriously within this forum as someone like UB or Peck, then clearly he's failing so far. (Not near enough dancing fruit, for starters.)
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post:


  34. #23
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    This is a long-running debate already playing itself out with several different existing dialects. There's always a dominant dialect--in our case Standard Written English, the dialect of the powerful + influential (and white). Ragging on p4e for textspeak is the same as those who rag on blacks for not conjugating their to be verbs ("he be running") when speaking Black Vernacular English. Us Indiana hillbilly folks face a similar situation with words like warsh and y'all, or the way we truncate our -ing endings. etc. When one speaks in variant dialect among users of the dominant dialect, it's done either to make a statement, or out of naivete. Variant dialect speaking to variant dialect is a show of warmth, brotherhood.

    Variant dialects (including textspk) have their own grammar, and it takes just as much intelligence to deploy it eloquently as it does SWE. It's a mostly irritating rhetorical choice, sure, but no more so than kemo's stream-of-consciousness, punctuation-less style. The extra ire p4e draws is probably because of our built-in revulsion for anything other than what we see as The Only Correct English Grammar. . . . which really isn't totally fair, or really very nice at all. And if it bugs you that much, there's always the ignore feature.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  35. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post:


  36. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,326

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is a long-running debate already playing itself out with several different existing dialects. There's always a dominant dialect--in our case Standard Written English, the dialect of the powerful + influential (and white). Ragging on p4e for textspeak is the same as those who rag on blacks for not conjugating their to be verbs ("he be running") when speaking Black Vernacular English. Us Indiana hillbilly folks face a similar situation with words like warsh and y'all, or the way we truncate our -ing endings. etc. When one speaks in variant dialect among users of the dominant dialect, it's done either to make a statement, or out of naivete. Variant dialect speaking to variant dialect is a show of warmth, brotherhood.

    Variant dialects (including textspk) have their own grammar, and it takes just as much intelligence to deploy it eloquently as it does SWE. It's a mostly irritating rhetorical choice, sure, but no more so than kemo's stream-of-consciousness, punctuation-less style. The extra ire p4e draws is probably because of our built-in revulsion for anything other than what we see as The Only Correct English Grammar. . . . which really isn't totally fair, or really very nice at all. And if it bugs you that much, there's always the ignore feature.
    thank you for this post.

  37. #25

    Default Re: Dealing with Generation Text

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is a long-running debate already playing itself out with several different existing dialects. There's always a dominant dialect--in our case Standard Written English, the dialect of the powerful + influential (and white). Ragging on p4e for textspeak is the same as those who rag on blacks for not conjugating their to be verbs ("he be running") when speaking Black Vernacular English. Us Indiana hillbilly folks face a similar situation with words like warsh and y'all, or the way we truncate our -ing endings. etc. When one speaks in variant dialect among users of the dominant dialect, it's done either to make a statement, or out of naivete. Variant dialect speaking to variant dialect is a show of warmth, brotherhood.

    Variant dialects (including textspk) have their own grammar, and it takes just as much intelligence to deploy it eloquently as it does SWE. It's a mostly irritating rhetorical choice, sure, but no more so than kemo's stream-of-consciousness, punctuation-less style. The extra ire p4e draws is probably because of our built-in revulsion for anything other than what we see as The Only Correct English Grammar. . . . which really isn't totally fair, or really very nice at all. And if it bugs you that much, there's always the ignore feature.
    I disagree, this isn't a racial or cultural issue. Cultural relativism does not apply to the written word. Speaking and the written word are different. You don't find too many published novels written in eubonics or LOLspeak... (except the lolcat bible, best version ever! http://www.lolcatbible.com )

    It is just laziness in typing and the person doing this comes off like a total idiot. That or 17 is the new 12... what are they teaching these kids now days? It is definitely not worth my time to try figure out what the hell he is trying to say. The problem is that the guy is spamming posts with this nonsense that no one else understands. You know, a poorly written post inserted once in a while is alright, but when it's lolspeak posts filling up over half of a thread... I mean come on...

    In closing...
    Blessinz of teh Ceiling Cat be apwn yu, srsly.

  38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-19-2009, 02:26 PM
  2. Who's Watching Generation Kill?
    By JayRedd in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-14-2008, 09:26 AM
  3. Bennett admits mistakes in dealing with Seattle [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-18-2008, 07:30 PM
  4. HELP! I need ways of dealing with such a tough loss
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 07:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •