Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who called it?

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Who called it?

I noticed in another thread where Jay was given credit for "calling it" on T.J. when the trade was first made. Most of the board was high on him, but Jay predicted we would soon be weary of him and want some other point guard that looked to pass first and wasn't hindered by his height when driving to the rim.

I think there are several other posters who "called it" and I want to list a few and ask for others that I missed:

- Jay also predicted Artest would blow up on us.
    - Seth predicted Murphleavy's contracts would cripple the franchise
    - I think Peck predicted the P's might fail to resign Brad Miller
    - I'll take credit for calling for a trade of Tinsley two years before he became highly unpopular.
    - Anthem predicted Hansbrough's problems might continue into next season.

I can't remember who was prescient when JOB got hired.

Did anybody cry foul when JO got the max or Bender was extended?

Others?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Dutch Pacers Fan

Default Re: Who called it?

Can I already call Paul George as the guy who will get us to the ECF in the 2012-2013 season? (Not saying Roy and DC aren't vital parts as well)
    Yay, I don't know if we're going back to the play-offs!

I'll call that this thread will be filled with people calling new things.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CT Pacer For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

UB called McRoberts being out of the NBA before the year 2009.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I called that the Pacers would begin playing their home games at Conseco Fieldhouse once it was built.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

streets ahead

pacergod2 called the JO to Toronto deal (he did have the wrong throw in - he said Joey Graham instead of Maceo Baston).

LG33 accurately predicted Travis Diener and Kareem Rush were the "best shooters in the league" Bird promised (can't find any record of it on this site... a stretch where we were on PD2 or PD3 maybe?)
    Last edited by avoidingtheclowns; 10-06-2010 at 06:22 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:

Banned

Shade said that Bayless was going to be a beast

And I called the Tyler draft

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I noticed in another thread where Jay was given credit for "calling it" on T.J. when the trade was first made. Most of the board was high on him, but Jay predicted we would soon be weary of him and want some other point guard that looked to pass first and wasn't hindered by his height when driving to the rim.

I think there are several other posters who "called it" and I want to list a few and ask for others that I missed:

- Jay also predicted Artest would blow up on us.
    - Seth predicted Murphleavy's contracts would cripple the franchise
    - I think Peck predicted the P's might fail to resign Brad Miller
    - I'll take credit for calling for a trade of Tinsley two years before he became highly unpopular.
    - Anthem predicted Hansbrough's problems might continue into next season.

I can't remember who was prescient when JOB got hired.

Did anybody cry foul when JO got the max or Bender was extended?

Others?
    Clearly you were not around to hear BBalls non stop *****ing......

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Shotgun.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I called Jim O'Brien as a bad coach after his third game with the Pacers.

Not me. I never predict anything.

It is hard enough to comprehend what is happening right at the moment, let alone something that lies in an uncertain future.

Oh, wait.

I did predict that The Who would give a lousy half-time show at the Super Bowl. Does that count?
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:

Next stop June 2015

I called drafting Lance to be a mistake. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

Not huge since it was second round, but still stupid based on where this team is attempting to go. I still cannot believe Bird picked him. Blinded by the talent I suppose. Even if this incident had not happened, it was still a mistake.

I guess my question is, would you want Stephon Marbury on your team? That's the kind of cloth this dude is cut from...but he's also violent.

Next stop June 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    It took you 3 games?...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    UB called that O'brien was going to be a good coach

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    UB called McRoberts being out of the NBA before the year 2009.
    LOL. No, not before the year 2009. LOL.

I suppose I was one of the first to turn on David Harrison and Jamaal Tinsley

Seth called that we would regret getting rid of Carlisle.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Actually I didn't predict the Brad Miller trade because Walsh promised everyone that he would get him signed and done.

However the year before I did say the the extension of Foster & Bender would cost us a valuable player and that player ended up being Brad Miller, so I guess in a way I did pick it.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

I made one incorrect prediction I remember off the top of my head.

I was furious when we traded for JO. I HATED that we gave up a Davis guy for him.

That said, I was happy with his max dael, and if the Pacers had to do it all over again I bet they would (cause at least 2 other teams were offering him a max contract)

I was not thrilled with Benders extension, but I never soured on him until his injury after the Christmas day (or eve) game.

I think several of us soured on Bender early on, the evidence being all the jokes and artwork regarding a "deer in the headlights."

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I called drafting Lance to be a mistake. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

Not huge since it was second round, but still stupid based on where this team is attempting to go.
    I know I'm not alone in this opinion, but I'll volunteer to "call" that by next year we will have wished we had taken Solomon Alabi (instead of Lance). The Hepatitas B scare is a non-issue, according to doctors. Right now he's still just potential, but as Foster declines (further), we'll need a true backup center. A developed Alabi is exactly what we'll be wishing for, I predict.

Here's a recent update on him by Frank Zicarelli of the Toronto Sun:

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/bas.../15607966.html

"As he evolves into a legitimate NBA big, it’s incumbent on Raptors rookie Solomon Alabi to get bigger, develop better foot work and improve his balance.

It’s all part of the learning curve for a kid who works hard, listens and is very excited as the Raptors were set to tip off their pre-season late Wednesday night against the host Phoenix Suns.

He’s so far away from being a frontline player that it’s foolish to even project what kind of impact this second-round draft choice will have with the Raptors.

Unlike lottery pick Ed Davis (knee), Alabi is at least healthy, learning in a practice setting and is sure to get minutes during exhibition play.

“I’m trying to get my legs stronger,’’ Alabi said. “The coaches have talked to me about it and it’s something I’m working on it.”

He’s spending extra time in the weight room, working alongside assistant Alex English to refine his foot work and generally trying to absorb something new each day.

As Alabi spoke about his first training camp experience, former NBAer and Canadian national team centre Todd MacCulloch was spotted outside the Raptors’ dressing room.

MacCulloch never had Alabi’s wing span, but his foot work was good and he left everything out on the floor, despite being slow of foot.

“Everything is much faster at this level,’’ added Alabi, a Florida State product who earned his reputation at the college level on the defensive end of the floor. “Practises are much harder. There’s a lot of plays coming your way, but I’m excited and it’s fun.”

Quote Originally Posted by DrFife View Post
    I know I'm not alone in this opinion, but I'll volunteer to "call" that by next year we will have wished we had taken Solomon Alabi (instead of Lance). The Hepatitas B scare is a non-issue, according to doctors. Right now he's still just potential, but as Foster declines (further), we'll need a true backup center. A developed Alabi is exactly what we'll be wishing for, I predict.
    That's a prediction yet to be confirmed. Which is okay. But I'm looking for ones in the past that can even be confirmed by past threads. Any of you guys that can do so, this is your time to brag.

BBall, did you complain when JO was maxed and Bender extended?

Did anybody complain when Tinsley was extended?

I called Dunleavy's wasted 2009-2010 season.

EDIT: And I did it in 2008.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...067#post813067
    Last edited by Anthem; 10-06-2010 at 09:37 PM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Mood

I called the Colts winning the 2006 Super Bowl in the season opener because Manning was able to elude pressure and complete a pass to Dallas Clark on the run. Can't prove it with a thread, but I did.

Can't think of anything I've called for the Pacers.

I also called for a pizza tonight, lol.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

That's a prediction yet to be confirmed. Which is okay. But I'm looking for ones in the past that can even be confirmed by past threads. Any of you guys that can do so, this is your time to brag.

I did complain when Bender was extended. That was senseless.

I wondered about maxing JO but I went along with the crowd thinking that was the market price. I'm still wondering who we were really competing with as far as needing to pay the max. I don't remember any official sources ever stating JO would've gotten the FA max anywhere else... that was just the forum assumption at the time that a couple of teams wanted him that badly. But while that is repeated as fact now, I've still yet to see anything after the fact saying his market price was really that high and that's what any team was ready to offer. IIRC the main suitor was the Spurs and he didn't even talk to the Spurs once the Pacers offer was made official.

As for Tinsley.... Did we even know Tinsley was extended when it happened or was it one of those drop ins where you're reading about the Pacer practices, who's injured, who's doing charity work, etc... and then the beat writer at the time mentions it like it was common knowledge "Tinsley will be inactive for tonight's game with a sinus infection. After signing a contract extension earlier this fall the Pacers had hoped Tinsley's sinus problems were behind him"
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Tinsley would of been a good deal if he didnt get fat and shoot the town up an the titty bars