Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Oh No Rumors are circulating that the new system isn't exactly gelling with Collison

Banned

Default Re: Oh No Rumors are circulating that the new system isn't exactly gelling with Collison

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bite your tongue.

I never liked the hiring of Jimmy, but I understand the reason was a coach to hold down the fort until Bird could change things. I don't care if the Pacers make the playoffs, O'Brien has no more usefulness as the Pacers coach. A new coach that can take the Pacers to the next level is what is required. A coach who is not stubborn with a terrible case of tunnel vision that his system/style is the the only way. A coach who doesn't think the ultimate game is one with a score of 135-127 with no "D" and 3 pt shooting galore.

4 years of Jimmy is more than enough, and as far as I'm concerned 1 year too many! I want to see the Pacers do well this year, but I want ownership and Bird to understand Jimmy's usefulness has passed. It's time to go forward with a different coach for the future.
    And "I" think that THIS is the only year that you can fairly judge OB on.
    We finally have a full stable of horses.
    Lets see what he does with them.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Oh No Rumors are circulating that the new system isn't exactly gelling with Collison

I read the first post and I'm not reading anymore. Positive or negative, I want nothing to do with this thread. Only time will tell what happens.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I might ask this in its own thread before the season starts, but my question is:

For those of you who are concerned that Jim won't run enough pick and rolls when Collison is on the floor. Give me a % of how many PnR you want. Would 50% be enough, do you want 75%. I would just like to know, sure it is easy to say they don't run it enough, but let me know how many you want, and then maybe we'll look at it over a 5 or 10 (regular season) game period to see what % it is being run.
    I don't mind Obie trying the motion offense instead of the pick and roll. But if motion, over time, doesn't appear to be working, I don't want him stubbornly refusing to try the pick and roll.

What would really goad me is if Obie is forced due to injury to use more pick and roll, it works fabulously, then he reverts to motion offense as soon as the needed personnel returns.

I'm not paranoid. Something very similar happened last year.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    you kinda just specifically called out uncle buck, (first sign that you just may be trolling.)
    oh Ok, trolling huh

So you glanced right over the "Not specifically you Buck" comment?

I dont really care though I have thick skin , pile it on if you like
    as my old saying goes

"Mother mad'em, so Motherf'em

and no I am not talking about you sir, just in general I dont worry about what people say about me, as My God mother used to say "they talked about Jesus and he was perfect"

all good baby
    Last edited by 90'sNBARocked; 10-06-2010 at 05:26 PM.
    Sittin on top of the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I read the first post and I'm not reading anymore. Positive or negative, I want nothing to do with this thread. Only time will tell what happens.
    Thanks!

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    Orlando shot about 350 more 3's than the Pacers last year.

The Pacers gotta take either more of them or less of them. I can't quite figure out which one.
    Blood on the highway.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HeliumFear View Post
    PGs usually take time to adjust to new systems
    Well, I'll tell you what it does take. It takes a clear mind. That's what it takes.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Banned

Well Mike Wells was talking about this on 1260 and was kind of saying that JOB needs to change the offense to fit Collison no the other way around, he also talked about Tinsley and Ford not fitting in the JOB system and that this is going be difficult with Collison because he was good when he had the ball in his hands.

Why do some of you think O'Brien will refuse to run the pick'n'roll? I have a hard time seeing a basketball coach, at any level, doing that, but anyway teams coached by O'Brien used the ballscreen game quite intensively in the past. Try to watch games of his year in Philly, for example, there was an absurd amount of high pick'n'rolls. Or just see how often Price would shoot off a ballscreen last season.

Collison is a good player, but not good enough to be used like he was with New Orleans and UCLA. That does wonders for his fantasy value, but not so much for the team record. He's no Chris Paul. Needs to be coached into making passes that set up his teammates to create shots and not only to finish, needs to share the ball more, make the entry pass to the wing and cut off the 5 for a lay-up, etc. A totally PG-centric offense like the one he ran in New Orleans needs outstanding PGs to work.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Well Mike Wells was talking about this on 1260 and was kind of saying that JOB needs to change the offense to fit Collison no the other way around, he also talked about Tinsley and Ford not fitting in the JOB system and that this is going be difficult with Collison because he was good when he had the ball in his hands.
    so what would fit JOB's system Ricky Rubio?? Someone who doesnt like to shoot?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Cool Re: Oh No Rumors are circulating that the new system isn't exactly gelling with Collison

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    But that's progress, isn't it?
    As we said at the summer PD party, we all (including me) are fine to have JOB stay forever if he suddenly becomes a good coach. We don't want JOB the person gone, we want JOB the coach as he has been up till now gone.

I don't care if he goes pod people or Renfield, as long as he changes his style/strategy. Make proper use of the roster, make good calls and adjustments as the game goes along, show real development of young players....

...if he does that then the winning takes care of itself. Why would you fire him then???

So either he does use DC (and Roy, Josh, etc) well and the team reacts well to it and improves, allowing him to stay, or he does the same old and sees results consistent with the last few years and he's dumped (or should be).

And I don't think any of us count a backing-into-playoffs situation as "improvement" either.

Collison was not a promising PG to me at UCLA due to vision/passing, but the kid is ultra quick and has a strong dribble. This should be a no-brainer for any coach, a softball of a coaching aptitude test.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

I think we are all forgetting about the most important stat of the night. 0 rebounds stolen.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I don't care if he goes pod people or Renfield, as long as he changes his style/strategy. Make proper use of the roster, make good calls and adjustments as the game goes along, show real development of young players....

...if he does that then the winning takes care of itself. Why would you fire him then???

This is a great post.

Even passing over the splendid literary reference, Seth has taken the proper stance toward O'Brien: Let's him prove something. This year.

There is lots to look forward to in this upcoming, but, quite frankly, I am not at all looking forward to the inevitable bad interpretations of each substitution or play call O'Brien does or doesn't do. Most of the anti-O'Brien comments are flawed, but even those that have solid evidence behind them are just unpleasant. I enjoy this board less because of the persistent sourness.

So, kudos to Seth for his "Judge O'Brien by what he does now" stance. give yourself an extra fly for dinner!
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Banned

Seth is asking for a miracle and I don't see that happening, JOB changing? No way....

I didn't find any problems last night. Darren didn't get as much time as he's going to get, but he managed to score 9 points.

Well, I'll tell you what it does take. It takes a clear mind. That's what it takes.
    I'm confused. For a new system, it takes a clear mind to take it or not to take it?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I'm confused. For a new system, it takes a clear mind to take it or not to take it?
    I couldnt follow his posts either

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    It takes a clear mind to make it.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

It takes a clear mind to make it.
    Gotcha bro

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    I couldnt follow his posts either
    It was runnin' all 'round my brain.
    BillS

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I don't mind Obie trying the motion offense instead of the pick and roll. But if motion, over time, doesn't appear to be working, I don't want him stubbornly refusing to try the pick and roll.

What would really goad me is if Obie is forced due to injury to use more pick and roll, it works fabulously, then he reverts to motion offense as soon as the needed personnel returns.

I'm not paranoid. Something very similar happened last year.
    Just because something very similar happened last year doesn't mean you aren't paranoid.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post

The Nets were the other team in the top 3. They actually scored out of the PnR at a higher clip than Orlando.
    I actually like the PnR, just don't think it needs to be the focus of our game. It's another weapon in the arsenal, not the answer to our problems.
    If you do it all the time you better have superior players because your getting awfully predictable.
    If we get to where we do it well, I'll be very happy to see it often.
    But we've got some talented passers on this team now, I'm really looking forward to seeing the passing offense implemented properly and how good that can be for us.
    it's all good.