Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 98

Thread: Oh No Rumors are circulating that the new system isn't exactly gelling with Collison

  1. #1
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,610

    Default Oh No Rumors are circulating that the new system isn't exactly gelling with Collison

    http://3sob.com/archives/59-october-...cers-october-6
    Written by Chip Crain

    This looks like a great matchup on paper with both players around 6 ft tall and lightning quick. The problem is that Collison abused Conley in last year's matchups. Of course Collison was on New Orleans then and it is unknown how well his game will translate with Indiana that doesn't run as many pick and roll plays. Rumors are circulating that the new system isn't exactly gelling with Collison. Conley has the advantage of returning with players he is intimately familar with and a coaching staff that knows his strengths and weaknesses. It is unlikely that will make enough of a difference however.
    Yes it is only an ubsubstantiated rumor, but not good to say the least. Looks like Stubborn Jim is going to have a problem yet again with a PG not adapting to his system.

    Maybe , just maybe its not the PG's , but Obie's insistence on having the players fit his style and not the other way around.

    If this rears its ugly head during the season, I hope Bird replaces Obie quickly before we have another unhappy PG on our team
    Sittin on top of the world!

  2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,826

    Default Re: Oh No Rumors are circulating that the new system isn't exactly gelling with Collison

    Im not too worried abou this. I would expect Bird to replace the coach before he replaces a PG like Collison who has all the potential in the world
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  4. #3
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,767

    Default Re: Oh No Rumors are circulating that the new system isn't exactly gelling with Collison

    Who the H is Chip Crain. And how in the H would he have any idea.

    IMO and in only my opinion this type of thread is why I sometimes dislike this forum. Here we are likely going to pick apart a throw away line from some out of town reporter. They haven't even played a pre-season game yet.

    And everything we have seen and heard is that Collison has had a great first week, so why let Chip ruin that
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 10-06-2010 at 11:58 AM.

  5. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  6. #4
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Oh No Rumors are circulating that the new system isn't exactly gelling with Collison

    The Grizzlies' blogger saying it doesn't make it true. He's probably just going by what's come out of the IndyStar and how it's an adjustment for DC.

    Collison says he's adjusting, Jim says he's adjusting, Wells said he's looked good. Which do you trust more, the Memphis blogger, or those 3 combined?

    It's no secret Collison was in a heavy P&R system last year, did well in it, and that coming here to a motion offense was going to be an adjustment that wouldn't immediately happen. That doesn't translate to 'rumors circulating that it isn't gelling with Collison.'

    Oh, screw it. Anyone who wants to freak out about this, is going to freak out about this, no matter what.

  7. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  8. #5
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Oh No Rumors are circulating that the new system isn't exactly gelling with Collison

    Thanks for posting. I'm not buying it yet. From our end we have heard nothing and seen nothing to believe this. In fact, Darren is living up too or exceeding expectations in camp. A person who is playing really well isn't likely to not understand or dislike a system. Wouldn't it be the player who is underperforming that would be rumored to not gell with the system? I'll keep this in mind simply based off of JOB's history, but that is all.
    House Name: Pacers

    House Sigil:



    House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Dave For This Useful Post:


  10. #6

    Default Re: Oh No Rumors are circulating that the new system isn't exactly gelling with Collison

    I've posted for a while, I don't think Collison's game gells with O'brien's system.

    But I think we ought to see what happens before we get nervous about it.

  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,443

    Default Re: Oh No Rumors are circulating that the new system isn't exactly gelling with Collison

    The Jim O'brien show is going to be a hoot this year. Tons of people calling up asking why they aren't running PnR. JOB saying that nobody on the team is good at it. Fans saying Collison is great a PnR. Yadda yadda yadda....

    Infact i bet Obrien gets fired in the middle of the season, not because of the record, but because he goes off on some fan who complains about him ruining DC and not running the PnR, which becomes a huge PR nightmare for the Pacers.
    Last edited by graphic-er; 10-06-2010 at 12:04 PM.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:


  14. #8
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,624

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Oh No Rumors are circulating that the new system isn't exactly gelling with Collison

    The way I look at it is that it's more important that DC gels with Granger/BRush/George/Tyler/Hibbert/Lance/AJ/Magnum this season then it is for DC to gel with a Coach and System that won't likely be here at the start of the 2011-2012 season.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:


  16. #9
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,324

    Default Re: Oh No Rumors are circulating that the new system isn't exactly gelling with Collison

    Plus, it's not like JOB will be around next year, so ultimately, it doesn't really matter. Just need to make sure they next coach can work with what we have instead of forcing a system that doesn't make sense with the current personnel.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  17. #10
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Oh No Rumors are circulating that the new system isn't exactly gelling with Collison

    This little blurb is going in the trash bin. This guy has what connection with the Pacers? We've had a week and a half of training camp, and this is what they come up with? The nerve of some writers.

    I just love how one little article that is totally bogus and unconfirmed could cause you all to continue bashing the coach and you guys cannot just let go.

    We have the first pre-season game tonight.

    Why is everyone not excited? Focus on that, wait a while before you all start jumping off the cliff.

  18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:


  19. #11
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,610

    Default Re: Oh No Rumors are circulating that the new system isn't exactly gelling with Collison

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who the H is Chip Crain. And how in the H would he have any idea.

    IMO and in only my opinion this type of thread is why I sometimes dislike this forum. Here we are likely going to pick apart a throw away line from some out of town reporter. They haven't even played a pre-season game yet.

    And everything we have seen and heard is that Collison has had a great first week, so why let Chip ruin that
    As opposed to the "let's burry are head in the sand and pretend evreything is ok"

    It never ceases to amaze me how peole say basically that they cant stand a thread but take the time to comment and continue to post on it (not saying you Buck specifically)

    Maybe the writer doesnt have the high credentials some of you would like, but I am sure he didnt make this up out of the clear blue sky. I suppose if nothing comes of this than it was BS, but I am saying right now if this becomes known at any point in the season, then obviously not everyone is "looking to stir the pot"

    Obie does not like to utilize the pick and roll, one of DC's strengths

    At the begining of each season Obie has gone on record annoiting the next great PG only to bench them later on .

    Tinsley - proclaimed a great PG by Obie, starts the season only to be becnhed and cast aside from the team
    Ford - Obie excited to have him after the trade only to bench him later in favor of Jarret Jack
    Ford- Starts the season again last year only to be benched again in favor of Earl Watson

    Seeing a pattern here? or is it all the PG's fault, or Obie loves back up PG's

    It doesnt make me "negative nick' because I point out what I dont like. I am just as big a Pacer fan as those who lwant evreything fluffy and nice

    What excuse could you possibly have , if after another 4 years of losing records, consistent problems with the coach-PG relationship

    The guy is a stubborn mule who has had 4 freakin years and cant even get us to sniff the playoffs. Oh but wait the "magical run" late in the season that screwed us out of a top pick will carry over this year to great success

    We dont have to agree , nor does it make one person right and the other wrong

    The guy is a poor coach, a stubborn ego out of control, and if it wasnt for the Pacers, probably would have never been a head coach again
    Sittin on top of the world!

  20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:


  21. #12
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Oh No Rumors are circulating that the new system isn't exactly gelling with Collison

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As opposed to the "let's burry are head in the sand and pretend evreything is ok"
    It's not pretending when it appears to be the truth!

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  23. #13
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Oh No Rumors are circulating that the new system isn't exactly gelling with Collison

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As opposed to the "let's burry are head in the sand and pretend evreything is ok"

    It never ceases to amaze me how peole say basically that they cant stand a thread but take the time to comment and continue to post on it (not saying you Buck specifically)

    Maybe the writer doesnt have...blah blah blah, yada yada yada
    Calm down and just enjoy the game tonight!

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:


  25. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,150

    Default Re: Oh No Rumors are circulating that the new system isn't exactly gelling with Collison

    If the Pacers make the playoffs, OB isn't likely to be going anywhere.

  26. #15
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,528

    Default Re: Oh No Rumors are circulating that the new system isn't exactly gelling with Collison

    Mountain meet Molehill.

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:


  28. #16
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Oh No Rumors are circulating that the new system isn't exactly gelling with Collison

    Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the Pacers make the playoffs, OB isn't likely to be going anywhere.
    But that's progress, isn't it?

  29. #17
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,610

    Default Re: Oh No Rumors are circulating that the new system isn't exactly gelling with Collison

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not pretending when it appears to be the truth!
    I understand that, but I doubt the writer, regardless of how well he is connected would just bite off another article that was already written or make it up

    To have access to the NBA you need credentials, credentials I'm sure are not given away so I think he must have spoken or heard from people who echoed DC situation

    I am still very excited for the season, I love Bird but cant stand Obie.

    I am excited to watch the game tonight, so much so that Iam leaving work early

    I cant wait to see the development of Paul/Lance/MAgnum

    I cant wait to see Roy develop chemistry with McBob

    I cant wait to see DC in action against the elite NBA PG's

    I cant wait to see Roy's success from all the hard work in the summer

    so yeah Im very excited, just not about our coach
    Sittin on top of the world!

  30. #18

    Default Re: Oh No Rumors are circulating that the new system isn't exactly gelling with Collison

    Okay, as much as I don't like JOB, I have got to say..that yea..I think most of the problems from the previous two PGs were the two PGs faults. Ford and Tinsley...and we aren't going to blame them partially. (Ford's been a classy guy OFF the court..but seriously..)

    I don't think Collison is going to be comfortable with this offense, because he's naturally a ball dominant PG.

    That being said from watching last season, it seemed like there were two parts to the offense. (I really think it's a crappy version of paul ball. But I've gotten into that before.)

    There's part 1, which is the transition/quick shot/move the ball bit. Then after that there's part 2, which ends up being a lot of individual play..or the PG makes decisions. Ford's decision tended to be to overly dribble and turn it over. Watson seemed to continue to move the ball or let someone else take over. Price on the hand, ran PnRs. So why wouldn't he allow Collison to do the same?

  31. #19
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Oh No Rumors are circulating that the new system isn't exactly gelling with Collison

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I understand that, but I doubt the writer, regardless of how well he is connected would just bite off another article that was already written or make it up

    To have access to the NBA you need credentials, credentials I'm sure are not given away so I think he must have spoken or heard from people who echoed DC situation
    Tyson Chandler just had a bowel movement. It shook all of Southern California.

    OMG, I just wrote about an NBA player. I don't have any credentials.

  32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:


  33. #20
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,826

    Default Re: Oh No Rumors are circulating that the new system isn't exactly gelling with Collison

    Darren probably just needs to replace his insoles.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  34. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,150

    Default Re: Oh No Rumors are circulating that the new system isn't exactly gelling with Collison

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As opposed to the "let's burry are head in the sand and pretend evreything is ok"

    It never ceases to amaze me how peole say basically that they cant stand a thread but take the time to comment and continue to post on it (not saying you Buck specifically)

    Maybe the writer doesnt have the high credentials some of you would like, but I am sure he didnt make this up out of the clear blue sky. I suppose if nothing comes of this than it was BS, but I am saying right now if this becomes known at any point in the season, then obviously not everyone is "looking to stir the pot.

    Obie does not like to utilize the pick and roll, one of DC's strengths

    OB has explained withing the past week or two, in print, that he is fine with P/R but hasn't had anyone that was any good at it. His offense IS the passing offense, but there will be plenty of P/R

    At the begining of each season Obie has gone on record annoiting the next great PG only to bench them later on .

    What would YOU expect any coach to say under the circumstances? This is the player where trust is probably the most important factor of any.

    Tinsley - proclaimed a great PG by Obie, starts the season only to be becnhed and cast aside from the team

    Because he couldn't follow the rules and what his coach wanted. Guess all those teams that went after him when he was available tells the real story, eh?

    Ford - Obie excited to have him after the trade only to bench him later in favor of Jarret Jack
    Because he sucked and JJ was better?

    Ford- Starts the season again last year only to be benched again in favor of Earl Watson
    Because he sucked again?

    Seeing a pattern here? or is it all the PG's fault, or Obie loves back up PG's
    Yet Earn and JJ followed what OB demanded and didn't seem to have any problems playing for the guy. hmmmmmm

    It doesnt make me "negative nick' because I point out what I dont like. I am just as big a Pacer fan as those who lwant evreything fluffy and nice

    What excuse could you possibly have , if after another 4 years of losing records, consistent problems with the coach-PG relationship
    Not a coach in the NBA that could have won with the team we have had up to this year.
    Again, Watson and JJ seemed to have a fine relationship with their coach.
    hmmmm


    The guy is a stubborn mule who has had 4 freakin years and cant even get us to sniff the playoffs. Oh but wait the "magical run" late in the season that screwed us out of a top pick will carry over this year to great success

    I don't think OB is a great coach. But I also don't think he's a horrible coach and isn't it funny that the PTB seem to agree with me? In those 4 years with VERY little talent, this team has rebuilt VERY quickly. And YES, I expect that starting to learn what it takes to close out games last year WILL carry over. Can't imagine why anyone would expect less given the pieces we've added........
    Now THAT is a negative nick.......


    We dont have to agree , nor does it make one person right and the other wrong
    Nope we sure don't (and won't. And one of us WILL be proven right.
    In time.


    The guy is a poor coach, a stubborn ego out of control, and if it wasnt for the Pacers, probably would have never been a head coach again
    What will you say if this team makes the playoffs and is as fun to watch as they CAN be??

  35. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,744

    Default Re: Oh No Rumors are circulating that the new system isn't exactly gelling with Collison

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I understand that, but I doubt the writer, regardless of how well he is connected would just bite off another article that was already written or make it up
    It happens all the time.

    To have access to the NBA you need credentials, credentials I'm sure are not given away so I think he must have spoken or heard from people who echoed DC situation
    What "access" does he have? Can you say for sure? If you think he had access to people who have "echoed DC situation" don't you think people like Mike Wells would have had at least as much access, and would have been all over that story?

  36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:


  37. #23
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,610

    Default Re: Oh No Rumors are circulating that the new system isn't exactly gelling with Collison

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mountain meet Molehill.
    I hope so bro

    but I would like to add that quote to my sig line in the event it does become a mountain
    Sittin on top of the world!

  38. #24

    Default Re: Oh No Rumors are circulating that the new system isn't exactly gelling with Collison

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It happens all the time.



    What "access" does he have? Can you say for sure? If you think he had access to people who have "echoed DC situation" don't you think people like Mike Wells would have had at least as much access, and would have been all over that story?
    I believe Wells did right an article about DC where it's talked about him struggling with the offense.

    Once again though, to be fair. This is not something he's used to doing, and it was the first week of practice.

  39. #25
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,633

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Oh No Rumors are circulating that the new system isn't exactly gelling with Collison

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who the H is Chip Crain. And how in the H would he have any idea.

    IMO and in only my opinion this type of thread is why I sometimes dislike this forum. Here we are likely going to pick apart a throw away line from some out of town reporter. They haven't even played a pre-season game yet.

    And everything we have seen and heard is that Collison has had a great first week, so why let Chip ruin that
    Agreed. Everything I've read is that no one can stay with DC on defense when he has the ball in his hands and that he has been money with the mid-range jumper whenever they run the pick-and-roll.

    I think he's a smart player and will be just fine and if he's killing the opposition in pick-and-roll or isolation sets, Jimmy will call those plays. Just look at how many isolation plays they ran with Jack and Ford the past 2 seasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Similar Threads

  1. Collison key for Pacers in crucial season
    By 90'sNBARocked in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 10-05-2010, 03:20 PM
  2. IndyStar: Collison Plans to Follow in Miller's Footsteps
    By focused444 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-13-2010, 01:03 PM
  3. Star article: Collison doesn't like nightlife
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 08-12-2010, 05:28 PM
  4. Darren Collison says he might be next on trading block
    By Pacersalltheway10 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 06-27-2010, 11:11 PM
  5. Darren Collison says he might be next on trading block
    By Pacersalltheway10 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-26-2010, 06:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •