Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacers are set to take the show on the road/Paul George could be the starter

Banned

Default Pacers are set to take the show on the road/Paul George could be the starter

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...ow-on-the-road

Written by
    Mike Wells Indystar

Grizzlies will be a welcome sight in tonight's preseason opener

Indiana Pacers coach Jim O'Brien will get his first opportunity see his team in action against another opponent tonight when they open the preseason against the Memphis Grizzlies.

The Pacers host the Orlando Magic at Conseco Fieldhouse on Friday, then play at Houston on Saturday.
    O'Brien plans to use different rotations to test various player combinations. He doesn't expect any player to play more than 24 minutes in the first four preseason games, with the possible exception of rookie Paul George.
    The Pacers will be without power forward Tyler Hansbrough and point guard T.J. Ford. Ford is out at least a week with a strained right hamstring. Hansbrough is working his way back from vertigo.
    Here are some of the key story lines to watch during the preseason:
    George pushing Mike Dunleavy for the starting shooting guard position
    The veteran Dunleavy has been shooting great and moving exceptionally well without the ball after dealing with knee problems the past two years.
    George is showing why he was the No. 10 pick in the draft. He already has a good understanding of the system. He's quick and has active hands on defense. And the coaching staff usually has to tell him something only once.
    O'Brien feels George can be a rotation player early in the season. "He's a special talent," O'Brien said.
    Last season's starter, Brandon Rush, is suspended for the first five regular-season games for failing the league's mandatory drug test three times.
    Collison's continued progress
    Darren Collison has lived up to the hype so far in training camp.
    He pushes the ball at the point, thinks pass first and pressures the ball defensively while leading by example.
    Collison's play has given the Pacers hope they will finally have stability at the position.
    "He's been terrific," O'Brien said. "When the ball is in his hands, he makes very mature, effective plays as a point guard."
    The last roster spot
    The Pacers need to trim their roster from 17 players to the league-mandated 15 by Oct. 25.
    Center Lance Allred will likely be cut. He was brought in as an extra body for camp.
    The Pacers will have to make a two-for-one trade or release a player to get to 15.
    They would like to trade one of their wings because that position remains the deepest on the team.

Defensive progress
    The defense continues to lag behind the offense. That's not a good sign for the Pacers, if history is any indication.
    "They have to understand there are two ends of the court," O'Brien said. "We have to prove to ourselves that we can protect our basket. I haven't seen that yet in training camp. They've got to prove it to themselves. If they can do that, they can be a playoff team. If they can't, they won't be."
    The Pacers have struggled defensively every year under O'Brien.
    Hansbrough's return
    He is already behind the rest of his teammates because he has yet to take part in the daily five-on-five scrimmages.
    The Pacers say Hansbrough has not suffered a setback, but they have chosen to gradually to ease last year's first-round pick back into the mix so he doesn't get overwhelmed.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 10-06-2010 at 06:35 AM.

Default Re: Pacers are set to take the show on the road/Paul George could be the starter

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...ow-on-the-road Hansbrough's return
    He is already behind the rest of his teammates because he has yet to take part in the daily five-on-five scrimmages.
    The Pacers say Hansbrough has not suffered a setback, but they have chosen to gradually to ease last year's first-round pick back into the mix so he doesn't get overwhelmed.

Written by
    Mike Wells Indystar
    Overwhelmed? They have to mean that in a medical sense and even then it doesn't make much sense to me. I have vertigo and I would never use the word overwhelmed unless I was so dizzy I couldn't walk.

All I can think of is he must have it really bad. Mine started about 4 or 5 years ago and it hardly even bothers me anymore, so there's still hope.

I think what they are worried about is another concussion, but he's going to get hit in the head sooner or later from the way he plays.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers are set to take the show on the road/Paul George could be the starter

I think Paul should start in a few preseason games just to give Danny and/or Mike some rest before the season starts.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

All we've heard about George and Dun are glowing reports, if PG is truly pushing Dun for the starting spot, this is some of the best news we've gotten all training camp.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I ultimately see PG as a more athletic Granger and better defender. He has lead or been at the top on the team in the defensive categories such as deflections and steals.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Overwhelmed? They have to mean that in a medical sense and even then it doesn't make much sense to me. I have vertigo and I would never use the word overwhelmed unless I was so dizzy I couldn't walk.

All I can think of is he must have it really bad. Mine started about 4 or 5 years ago and it hardly even bothers me anymore, so there's still hope.

I think what they are worried about is another concussion, but he's going to get hit in the head sooner or later from the way he plays.
    My wife has vertigo and "overwhelmed" makes some sense to me. If too much is going on and she has to change her attention a lot she tends to whip her head around, which can cause it to start up again.

She has a "displaced crystals in the balance canals" issue, though.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

This looks really bad.

Injured in 2009 and still can't play?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Man! It's been so long ago since I've actually felt good about the team again. I'm not expecting a 45-win season, but finally the sun is starting to come up for this franchise. Finally some positive and real fun things to look forward to again .

The exception to this seems to be Tyler. But, for now I'm just sticking with the "bringing him slowly aswell as carefully, but steady"-line.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mourning For This Useful Post:

I think its a great idea to give Lance and George a lot of mins in these preseason games. I expect both players to be very nervous tonight, because after all, it is their first NBA game (whether preseason or not).

Cant wait to watch the game tonight
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Banned

George is showing why he was the No. 10 pick in the draft. He already has a good understanding of the system. He's quick and has active hands on defense. And the coaching staff usually has to tell him something only once.
    O'Brien feels George can be a rotation player early in the season. "He's a special talent," O'Brien said

Told ya

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    All we've heard about George and Dun are glowing reports, if PG is truly pushing Dun for the starting spot, this is some of the best news we've gotten all training camp.
    Yeh, this is a big win win.
    I'm thinking one of them is going to be an excellent 6th man.
    Depending on if they think PG's defense could be a difference maker, I'd like to see Mike startign and PG watching and learning the starters for awhile. He can come in against 2nd teams (for awhile) and become a factor much quicker. (maybe)
    Mike gets to reestablish his reputation and TRADE VALUE just in time to make him a VERY valuable commodity (HOPE!!!)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This looks really bad.

Injured in 2009 and still can't play?
    Oh c'mon, if you've been paying any attention it's been obvious that this was going to be a long term process in the best case.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    Yeh, this is a big win win.
    I'm thinking one of them is going to be an excellent 6th man.
    Depending on if they think PG's defense could be a difference maker, I'd like to see Mike startign and PG watching and learning the starters for awhile. He can come in against 2nd teams (for awhile) and become a factor much quicker. (maybe)
    Mike gets to reestablish his reputation and TRADE VALUE just in time to make him a VERY valuable commodity (HOPE!!!)
    I'd love for that to pan out and trade Dunleavy by the deadline for our power forward and let George take over as starter with Rush as the sixth man.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    I think its a great idea to give Lance and George a lot of mins in these preseason games. I expect both players to be very nervous tonight, because after all, it is their first NBA game (whether preseason or not).

Cant wait to watch the game tonight
    Game isn't on TV anywhere tonight I thought?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Is this game available LPBB

only ask about legit sources; see Guidelines

Edit: I should have been more clear. Are there any radio streams from Indy on the internet with the game?
    Last edited by BBQ; 10-06-2010 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Game isn't on TV anywhere tonight I thought?
    ohhh that sucks...I was hoping to catch it on LPBB

Only legit sources are allowed to be discussed.

"So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

I am not positive but LPBB

I think there referring to NBA League Pass Broad Band , which would be a legitimate paid source

not positive though
    Sittin on top of the world!

Game Notes lists probable starters as:

Collison-Dunleavy-Granger-Posey-Hibbert

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/notes.pdf

No idea how they come up with that, though.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

21. The Following User Says Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    Game Notes lists probable starters as:

Collison-Dunleavy-Granger-Posey-Hibbert

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/notes.pdf

No idea how they come up with that, though.
    Waiting for the Mcbob lovers to vent....
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

MR, you didn't really have to post that did you?

PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    I am not positive but LPBB

I think there referring to NBA League Pass Broad Band , which would be a legitimate paid source

not positive though
    I edited out the other part they mentioned.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

If it's like the last year or two, you should (for free) be able to listen to the game on NBA League Pass Audio on nba.com.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

BBQ

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    If it's like the last year or two, you should (for free) be able to listen to the game on NBA League Pass Audio on nba.com.
    I know that used to be the case, but if Im not mistaken they now want you to pay for the "NBA Audio League Pass"
    Sittin on top of the world!

So will the game be televised? I don't see it on the Directv schedule.