Thread: SLAM Top 50 | #21 Danny Granger

Hybrid View

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default SLAM Top 50 | #21 Danny Granger

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba...anger-no-21-2/
    Quote Originally Posted by SLAM Online
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Top 50: Danny Granger, no. 21
    The definitive ranking of the NBAís best players.

by Charles Peach / @Charles_Peach

Thereís a good reason why Danny Granger ranks higher on this list than some of his contemporaries playing small forward and itís all in the name: G-range-r.

The three-point arc is his friend and you must respect it. Granger hit at least four threes in 58 of his last 209 games. Heís been in the top eight in scoring the last two seasons, including finishing fifth in Ď08-09. That season he won Most Improved Player as his scoring average jumped from 19.6 in Ď07-08 to 25.8 points per game.

While guys like Andre Iguodala and Gerald Wallace standout for their defense, Granger is an offensive stud. Iggy and Crash make a living because of guys like Granger. It takes a freakishly talented defender to stifle a 6-9 sharpshooter.

Make no mistake though; Granger is no slouch on defense. The man who once lost both central incisors while going for a steal on Paul Pierce, can play defense tenaciously. For his career he averages one steal and one block per game.

Some say he doesnít always exert a strong effort on defense. Iíd argue that it isnít easy to lead your team on both ends of the floor when you have below-average supporting casts. I mean, look at Kobe. He made All-Defensive First Team in each of the last five seasons with hounds on his team such as Trevor Ariza and Ron Artest to shoulder much of the on-ball defensive assignments. Not to mention bigs like Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynum, and Lamar Odom to bail him out if heís beaten. I think Kobe is a terrific defender, but his teammates make it a lot easier for him. For Granger, there is tremendous pressure on him to lead on offense and defense and there isnít nearly as much room for error.

Granger was a member of the Gold-medal winning Team USA this summer in the FIBA World Championships. Iguodala and Rudy Gay got more minutes than him, but I think thatís because they were a better fit for what Coach K wanted from the small forward position. He wanted a Pippen to his Jordan Ė Kevin Durant. Iggy and Gay provided the Pippen-esque qualities on defense and in transition. Durant played the role of MJ, taking over every game without any other player needing to consistently score. Though he isnít as good as Durant, Granger is that type of player. He can assume his teamís scoring duties, usually by firing away from downtown much like Durant did in Turkey.

What can Granger do to improve?

Even though he battled injuries, last season was a step back. His scoring average dipped along with his shooting percentage. He got a bit too comfortable hoisting the three-ball. If he stays healthy and attacks the basket more, heíll be much more Grangerous this season. (You like that, right? Ö No? Ö OK. Fine.) Again, heíll need help from his mates. There are some new faces around that he might be able to depend on this season. The Pacers landed Darren Collison, a talented point guard with a high ceiling, in a trade with New Orleans. Rookies Paul George and Lance Stephenson also have promising potential. Granger would certainly benefit if Roy Hibbert or Tyler Hansbrough can emerge, as well.
    I've kind of been following the list and think he's a little high...was thinking maybe around 30ish but anyways, glad to see him get some props nonetheless
    Last edited by rel; 10-03-2010 at 01:45 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rel For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: SLAM Top 50: Danny Granger #21

how is DC2 not on the list?

Default Re: SLAM Top 50 | #21 Danny Granger

I'm a big DC fan, but I don't think he's shown enough to be on the top 50 list. He's only played major minutes in 30-40 games, whereas the other second year players put up big numbers an entire season (Curry, Evans, Jennings). If he can show it again this year, then most definitely he belongs. For the same reasoning, I have a problem with Wall on the list. He hasn't played a minute of NBA basketball.

FWIW - there are at least 5-10 guys behind DG that I would trade straight up for him in a heartbeat (Horford, Westbrook, Tyreke, Curry, Lopez, Gay, etc). Very generous rating, and this is coming from a DG fan.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by purdue101 View Post
    I'm a big DC fan, but I don't think he's shown enough to be on the top 50 list. He's only played major minutes in 30-40 games, whereas the other second year players put up big numbers an entire season (Curry, Evans, Jennings). If he can show it again this year, then most definitely he belongs. For the same reasoning, I have a problem with Wall on the list. He hasn't played a minute of NBA basketball.

FWIW - there are at least 5-10 guys behind DG that I would trade straight up for him in a heartbeat (Horford, Westbrook, Tyreke, Curry, Lopez, Gay, etc). Very generous rating, and this is coming from a DG fan.
    we would probly trade him for john wall st8 up but that doesnt mean john is better.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    we would probly trade him for john wall st8 up but that doesnt mean john is better.
    I believe all of those players listed are better players than Danny.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

because he's not a top 50 player in the nba?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
    because he's not a top 50 player in the nba?
    he is better than a couple of people on that list

he is better than a couple of people on that list
    Maybe Allen & Odom, and that's debatable.

Still, I can think of several players that I doubt will be in the top 20, that aren't on the current list, and I would consider more talented than DC at this point in their careers.

Eric Gordon
    Kevin Love
    Paul Milsap
    Lou Deng
    Devin Harris
    Caron Butler
    Kevin Martin
    Marc Gasol & Jeff Green (debatable)

not sure i agree with danny being the 21st best player in the nba. i'm sure if you took several players off of their current teams and placed them in danny's situation, they'd put up similar personal statistics with better team results.
    Last edited by croz24; 10-03-2010 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    not sure i agree with danny being the 21st best player in the nba. i'm sure if you took several players off of their current teams and placed them in danny's situation, they'd put up similar personal statistics with better team results.
    I doubt it. For the most part, it's pretty much has been Danny Granger for the past two seasons with Roy Hibbert closing in as the 2nd scorer.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Someone like say....Jeff Green?

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    Someone like say....Jeff Green?
    I highly doubt it

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    I highly doubt it
    I wasn't implying that Jeff Green could do it.

You would've had to been around for some previous conversations about Granger/Green to understand.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    I highly doubt it
    ya lol that would be funny watching jeff green take the load lol we would be pretty bad

Banned
    Mood

that would be funny watching jeff green take the load
    That's what croz24 said!
    Last edited by Lance George; 10-03-2010 at 05:29 PM.

Banned
    Mood

Granger's proven to be an elite scorer with a decent overall game. He deserves his ranking. As for Collison, his time is coming, he just needs another 20-30 games to show he's the real deal.

Well I did think Brian Williams' cameo was hilarious.

Congratulations Danny ..

To be ranked 21st out of a total of 450 players in the NBA is pretty damn good if you ask me ..
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

I agree with those that feel the ranking is pretty much accurate. Its a subjective call anyways.

He is a great scorer and a great shooter. 5th and 8th consecutive years in ppg in the nba is quite remarkable. A Pacer has never done that and no one behind him on that list has either. His jumper and his offense is what sets him apart from the other younger guys on that list. I don't agree if you replace him with other guys behind him on that list they would be top 8 in scoring 2 years straight and we would see more wins. Lets also not forget he isn't a below average defender which a lot of ppl make him out to be.

Salary and everything else considered, I wouldnt trade him for any player behind him on that list except Wall, and Id have to think hard about tyreke and westbrook. Were getting granger at a bargain.

Lets see Roy and DC bloom into major studs, a coaching change, a ton of money to spend next year, and I think DG can put up just as good of numbers and more importantly hit just as many key shots for the pacers with more team success.

I actually think 21 is too low for him, I'd put him around 15 in my opinion. There are going to several players rated 15 to 20 where you can make an argument for Danny.

Your going to have players like Pau Gasol who was essentially a Danny Granger before he got teamed up with Kobe.

I wonder where Yao and Duncan fall in this list, are they still top 20?

never once did i mention jeff green being a better player than granger...but it's amazing how similar their numbers actually are if you would add an extra 6 fga to green's statistics, even with green playing out of position as a pf half the time. jeff green is a very, very good player. i stated such when he was a rookie, and my opinion holds true today.

as for player rankings, in basketball moreso than any other sports, one player truly make a huge impact on team success. and until granger can lead this team to the postseason as the supposed number one option, then i don't see how he can be labeled as a top 25 player. i think hibbert or collison are more valuable to the pacers team success than what granger is. just a matter of opinion. i like granger, but he needs to be the sidekick if the pacers are to win a championship.

never once did i mention jeff green being a better player than granger...but it's amazing how similar their numbers actually are if you would add an extra 6 fga to green's statistics, even with green playing out of position as a pf half the time. jeff green is a very, very good player. i stated such when he was a rookie, and my opinion holds true today.

as for player rankings, in basketball moreso than any other sports, one player truly make a huge impact on team success. and until granger can lead this team to the postseason as the supposed number one option, then i don't see how he can be labeled as a top 25 player. i think hibbert or collison are more valuable to the pacers team success than what granger is. just a matter of opinion. i like granger, but he needs to be the sidekick if the pacers are to win a championship.

I don't understand the Granger hate in this regard, no post season? Man do you think Reggie Miller could have gotten this rag tag group of players over the last few seasons to the playoffs? There are only a few players in the league who can lead a rag tag team into the playoffs, Lebron, Wade, Kobe. Heck even Kobe missed the playoffs on year.

I mean there is an obvious reason why we haven't made the playoffs since Steven Jackson was a Pacers. We committed Hari Kari.

The year we should made the playoffs, Granger was just emerging and Mike Dunleavy had his best year ever, we still had JO who had checked out of Indy, while saying I'm gonna be the leader! Not to mention Tinsley was on the team.

matter of opinion...i just have never witnessed danny granger's presence enhance the level of play of those around him. and because of that, i wouldn't claim he's one of the best 25 or so players in the league.

matter of opinion...i just have never witnessed danny granger's presence enhance the level of play of those around him. and because of that, i wouldn't claim he's one of the best 25 or so players in the league.
    Most of the players that Danny has played with in his tenure were/are nothing but benchwarmers/subs on a good team. There isn't a whole lot for Danny to enhance so he has to basically carry the team by himself. Not to mention the fact that Danny hasn't had a really good point guard until DC to help him out (Jeff Green gets to play with Westbrooke!) I think if you put Danny on the Thunder they are close to a championship team. Remember the Thunder gave the Lakers a run for their money in the playoffs this past season. But if you put Green in Danny's spot we are still a .500 team at best right now. You have to put the player's teammates/situations into perspective too. Danny had to play with the likes of Troy Murphy, Dunleavy, and Dahntay Jones to take the heat off of him offensively. Green gets to play with Durant, Westbrooke, and Harden, making his job that much easier.

"I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin