Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacers To Pick Up Hibbert's 11-12 Option, Unsure On Rush

Default Re: Pacers To Pick Up Hibbert's 11-12 Option, Unsure On Rush

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really don't see why they should pick up the option. He's not a highly regarded player around the league and I doubt he'll get an offer as a free agent worth more than 2.9 million the first year.

I think they should wait and let him play for his next contract, whether that's with the Pacers or somewhere else. If he has a breakout season and commands top dollar from another team, I think the Pacers will be able to give all his minutes to Paul George and not miss a beat. That's also an extra 2.9 million in salary cap space too.
    I agree. What has Rush did as a starter that is so great?

I can't believe I'm going to play this card I dislike it so, but I can't picture him being a starter on a team contending for a championship. The Pacer's would be better served with him coming off the bench ala Bruce Bowin.

McRoberts is only only making $885,000 this year, and I think he's got just as much upside. Let Rush play for his new contract! As of right now he doesn't deserve the Pacers picking up his extension.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuq_e_Zi91 View Post
    I don't know what you mean by saying what he makes allows him to smoke weed. No one is "allowed", but it happens. What I'm saying is many people can smoke weed, and still continue to be very successful, responsible individuals. Some people are just better at keeping it a part of their private lives than others. In Brandon's case, it showed a lack of judgment and maturity (or to be blunt, sheer stupidity) to be smoking during the season, especially after you already failed twice. It's something that I hope he learns from in the future - keeping his work and his private life separate.

I don't think many kids who watch the Pacers say, "I want to be just like #25!" (no offense to Brandon) But still, athletes have proven to be terrible role models for a long time now. I know, I used to idolize them myself as a kid. But you get older and you see that these people are very different when they're not on the court (as you would expect many people to be away from their work) so you learn to not get too attached just in case they mess up like this. And not getting too attached leads back to what my initial point was of not worrying about what they do in the off-season as long as they're not putting others in danger and that when the time comes to work, they work and earn that $3 million.
    Funding the drug trade is not good, anyway you want to cut it. Popular drugs like MJ bankrolls people involved in trafficking more dangerous drugs and probably human trafficking as well. People die all the time because of the purchase and use of illegal drugs regardless of how safe they might be.

...so those "some people" should fight harder for legalization and stop smoking it until it is legal.
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 09-30-2010 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Typo...

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    It's comments like this that drives me up a wall. You are condoning him doing something that is ILLEGAL! Until the law is changed it's illegal, plain n simple.
    There are lots of things illegal that aren't immoral. Lots of pot smokers do lots of good things for humanity. Marijuana has been proven to help eyesight and helps guys shoot the three better. And what makes you so morally superior? Who are you to judge? Judge not Lester the Judge!
    Last edited by McKeyFan; 09-30-2010 at 10:15 PM.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

4. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    There are lots of things illegal that aren't immoral. Lots of pot smokers do lots of good things for humanity. Marijuana has been proven to help eyesight and helps guys shoot the three better. And what makes you so morally superior? Who are you to judge? Judge not Lester the Judge!
    I agree with Justin! And who am I to judge? Well Rush had to fail 3 dope tests and that's what I'm judging him on!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    I agree with Justin! And who am I to judge? Well Rush had to fail 3 dope tests and that's what I'm judging him on!
    I was feeling a bit grouchy. Notice the color of the exclamation point.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

8. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Yikes! What would the Metropolitan think of this post?

k
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Why wouldn't you pick up the option on a defensive ace with a good three point shot? $2.9M is relatively small in NBA terms. The kid has been in the league for TWO years. That is it. There are a lot of players that don't even sniff the court for three years because they aren't ready. Brandon has been productive. Those of you expecting him to be a number one scoring option are being ridiculous. He royally screwed up by failing the drug tests, but it doesn't mean he shouldn't get another year to develop. This is basketball. Not the fifth district court. Guys in the NBA have done so many worse things and gotten away with it and we are more concerned that the kid smokes pot than we are with Lance Stephenson beating up a woman. Lance is regarded as the next big thing around here. He couldn't sniff Brandon's jock strap defensively. I am not trying to take away from either of these guys but why is everybody jumping on this bandwagon to exile a very good young player. Just because you are only capable of looking at the offensive side of the ball? You are the ones talking out of both sides of your mouth, not JOB.

I am confident that we should pick up his option. If we can't make a move and have to cut someone, is it really going to be Rush? Solo has been looking a hell of a lot better to me in those videos. He doesn't look as lost as he did last year and we could use the depth up front. Who would we cut?

Jason Williams failed so many drug tests he started refusing to take them and just let the league assume it was a failed test. He is still in the league.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2
    another year to develop.

He's under contract this year. Is it really necessary to guarantee NEXT year in order to see what he'll do THIS year?

Always bearing in mind the expiring collective bargaining agreement.

My POINT is it's illegal! PLAIN N SIMPLE. So if a BB player can shoot a 3 better, it's alright! You need to get your priorities straight.

My morals aren't the one in question, but Rush's is! I'm not the one representing a 300 mil plus sports franchise that can ill afford PR problems, RUSH IS. Either he values his employer and his career enough to do what is right or he doesn't. Rush doesn't seem to be able to not indulge after being caught the 1st 2 times. You really think he's going to quit? Take your rose colored glasses off so you can see Rush has a problem. Or I guess you can jump on the bandwaggon of thought that what illegal acts someone does in their personal life is of no consequence to others as long as it does hurt others. Well in Rush's case, it did hurt others. It hurt the Pacers organization.

I have a "habit" of responding to a post as I read them and not after reading the whole thread. I didn't read your post about being grouchy until after I made this post. I've been referred as an old grouchy..... whatever fits.... many of a time. I hope your day gets better.
    Last edited by Justin Tyme; 10-01-2010 at 10:06 AM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    He's under contract this year. Is it really necessary to guarantee NEXT year in order to see what he'll do THIS year?

Always bearing in mind the expiring collective bargaining agreement.
    Obviously not, but if he comes out an improved player this year and continues to work on his game the following summer, he could be the answer at SG for this team. I don't think you let someone with his talent go elsewhere. Make sure you give him the length of his rookie contract to make sure he is or isn't the player you envisioned him becoming when you drafted him. If you really don't want him around, he would be great trade filler to go with Ford. You HAVE to pick up his option, because you can. He is an asset. Why give someone else your assets?

Banned

I think is funny that some guys here want to get rid of Rush, a second year player that average 9.4 ppg 4.20 rpg 1.4apg and +10.20 eff and want to replace him with an eight years broken down veteran that average 9.9ppg 3.50rpg 1.5 apt and +9.43 eff.

I would also mention that the young player only makes 2.5mil a year when the broken down vet makes 10mil a year
    Last edited by vnzla81; 10-01-2010 at 09:31 PM.

You HAVE to pick up his option, because you can. He is an asset.
    I'm with you about letting Rush redeem himself on and off the court. But haven't we learned our lesson yet? Hasn't the principle you espouse glutted the Pacers roster with overpaid and unwanted players year after year for a decade? Didn't we learn from Croshere? Bender? Tinsley?

Anyway, not picking up the team option is not the same as letting a player go. If the Pacers decline to pick up Rush's option now, and then he proves himself during the season, the Pacers can still pay him what he's worth next summer.

Why give someone else your assets?
    Gah! Declining to pick up a player's option is not giving assets to another team. Giving assets to another team is what happens when you sign a guy to a long guaranteed contract and then discover that he's such damaged good that you're willing to pay him to stay away. That is what we did with Tinsley and Bender and James White and I forget who else.

(Am I right that those three players all signed with another team while they were still drawing money from the Pacers, or in Bender's case, from the insurance-funded contract buyout? There are other players who stayed on the Pacers roster but were worthless or overpriced.)

Last edited by Putnam; 10-01-2010 at 11:40 AM.

Mood

I'm with you about letting Rush redeem himself on and off the court. But haven't we learned our lesson yet? Hasn't the principle you espouse glutted the Pacers roster with overpaid and unwanted players year after year for a decade? Didn't we learn from Croshere? Bender? Tinsley?
    Those three burned us because we gave them big, new contracts. This is not what we're discussing with regards to Brandon Rush. We're simply discussing the addition of another year to his cheap rookie-scale salary, which is far, far more manageable.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Those three burned us because we gave them big, new contracts. This is not what we're discussing with regards to Brandon Rush. We're simply discussing the addition of another year to his cheap rookie-scale salary, which is far, far more manageable.
    Yes. The different amounts involved is important and I thought about that after I clicked send. There's a roster spot involved either way.

I was responding to pacergod2's use of the phrase "give someone else your assets." I don't think that applies to the Rush situation at all. If he walks and another team signs him, they'll have to pay him. If we want to re-sign him next summer, we can pay him what he's worth. There's no giving away assets involved there either way.

Just skimmed through the thread, but what's Rush's value as a Free Agent, I wonder? Is it cheaper to sign him as a Free Agent, surely not?

Yikes! What would the Metropolitan think of this post?

k
    He may wonder who Lester is.

He's not a terrible player by any means. He's serviceable. I would pick up his option. With our current roster and potential, I see Rush as the last option at best. If he scores over 10 PPG while playing alongside Granger, George, Collision, and Hibbert, I figured he exceeded expectations.

Not picking up Rush's option would be a terrible idea. It's true that he screwed up with smoking wacky weed, but unless there is evidence that he will continue to cause problems, at least give him another year at a low cost within his rookie contract. We don't have a suitable replacement ready right now anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacer View Post
    Not picking up Rush's option would be a terrible idea. It's true that he screwed up with smoking wacky weed, but unless there is evidence that he will continue to cause problems, at least give him another year at a low cost within his rookie contract. We don't have a suitable replacement ready right now anyway.

What if the issue isn't the drug infraction at all? What if the coaches, who've seen Rush much oftener and much closer than we have, know that last year is as good as Rush can get? Remember that his two brothers also knocked around the NBA and then fell out of it. Maybe mediocrity is congenital.

What if they know right now that Rush is not part of the future at the wing?

Dahntay Jones is already locked in for those same two years at a cheaper rate than Rush, and he's as good a defender as Rush, so even the "low cost" argument doesn't justify Rush.

I'm not a Rush hater at all. This just seems like as occasion to give TPTB a pass.

Banned

What if the issue isn't the drug infraction at all? What if the coaches, who've seen Rush much oftener and much closer than we have, know that last year is as good as Rush can get? Remember that his two brothers also knocked around the NBA and then fell out of it. Maybe mediocrity is congenital.

Dahntay Jones is already locked in for those same two years at a cheaper rate than Rush, and he's as good a defender as Rush, so even the "low cost" argument doesn't justify Rush.

I'm not a Rush hater at all. This just seems like as occasion to give TPTB a pass.

What? "the coaches know that Rush is as good as he is ever going to get" and they knew all this time that Mcbob was going to be the starter? Man this coaches are good

Jones is not as good on defense as Rush, plus Rush is the best outside shooter on the team. Rush is a better player than Jones. Also, it shouldn't be overlooked that Rush has been playing the most minutes for this team. If you are dumping the guy who logs the most time on your team, you better be sure you have a suitable replacement. I don't see anyone on the roster that is that guy right now. Maybe George down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    What? "the coaches know that Rush is as good as he is ever going to get" and they knew all this time that Mcbob was going to be the starter? Man this coaches are good
    That's another issue that drove me insane. I wouldn't make any "he's as good as he's going to get" assumptions under JOB anyway. I don't see Rush being able to perform at his best under JOB. I want to see what Rush can do under a good coach. There's a reason Brown and Pop have tried to trade for Rush.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacer View Post
    Paying him 2.9 million next season is a problem to me. I don't think he's worth it especially with so many other wings out performing him in training camp. He's not going to start and will probably only be called upon for defensive assignments. I doubt he's going to have the opportunity to even match last year's production if Dunleavy improves and Paul is as good as he has looked thus far.

The number 1 reason you don't pick up the option is - he's the easiest player on the roster to replace.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Paying him 2.9 million next season is a problem to me. I don't think he's worth it especially with so many other wings out performing him in training camp. He's not going to start and will probably only be called upon for defensive assignments. I doubt he's going to have the opportunity to even match last year's production if Dunleavy improves and Paul is as good as he has looked thus far.

The number 1 reason you don't pick up the option is - he's the easiest player on the roster to replace.

Rush is not worth it at 2.9mil but Dunleavy at 10mil and DJ at 2.5 are the better options? Really?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Rush is not worth it at 2.9mil but Dunleavy at 10mil and DJ at 2.5 are the better options? Really?
    No, but Dunleavy is in his final year and he's not on a rookie scale contract. Also as a number 3 draft pick, MDJ was making more even during his rookie scale deal.

Personally, I think Dhantay Jones and Rush are equal players (Brandon is a better 3-point shooter and rebounder while DJ gets a slight nod on defense and at finishing at the rim) and to my knowledge, Dhantay hasn't failed 3 drug tests. So yes I think paying DJ 2.5 is better than paying Rush 2.9.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!