Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacers To Pick Up Hibbert's 11-12 Option, Unsure On Rush

Default Pacers To Pick Up Hibbert's 11-12 Option, Unsure On Rush

Brandon Rush is using training camp and the preseason to convince the Pacers to pick up his his $2.9 million team option for the 11-12 season.

Rush will be suspended for the first five games of the season.

"I do think it could play a part a little bit, but I'm trying not to worry about it," said Rush, who has been practicing with the second unit. "I should be fine as long as I come out here and show I've been putting in the work and I've changed my lifestyle. Everything should work out fine if I do those things."

The Pacers are expected to pick up center Roy Hibbert's $2.6 million option for next season.
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2010.../1062/SPORTS04
    Indy Star

Mike Wells
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Default Re: Pacers To Pick Up Hibbert's 11-12 Option, Unsure On Rush

Do you think the risk of him "breaking out" exceeds the benefit of not being committed to him in the future in the event that he gets into any sort of trouble again?

I'm on the fence, but I suppose since we're talking relatively little money, it'd be wiser to hang onto him for now. You can always trade him.

Banned

I'll be really mad if they let him go, he is the main factor the pacers defense improved last year, in fact he is the best defender on the team.

Of course they will pick it up, lance is still on the team. They just want to light a fire in his game haha.

I dont think they'll let him go, it'll just be stupid. If they dont want him on the team, Im sure they could sign him to a 3 year $8 million deal and trade him away. His defence is still good. He shows potential on offence, and then some nights doesnt show up.

I think this is Bird's front of showing "no tolerence"...they could be trying to scare Rush so he'll smarten up and start playing
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you think the risk of him "breaking out" exceeds the benefit of not being committed to him in the future in the event that he gets into any sort of trouble again?

I'm on the fence, but I suppose since we're talking relatively little money, it'd be wiser to hang onto him for now. You can always trade him.
    Agreed, you at the very least keep him as an asset, unless of course you have an indication he's still smoking dope.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Agreed, you at the very least keep him as an asset, unless of course you have an indication he's still smoking dope.
    I thought dope was heroin?

Anyways, I'd still sign him for $2.9 million even if he kept smoking weed. I'd just prefer he only does it in the off-season so he doesn't get caught again. Not only for his sake and the suspensions/fines/etc he would face, but also for team PR purposes.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would automatically pick it up even with no intention of keeping him as he's a young talent on a rookie contract and thus still has decent trade value.

Mood

I think eventually they'll pick up Brandon's option. But there's no reason at all that they can't use this situation to their advantage to scare him straight and make him sweat a little.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Not picking up BRush's Team option would be stupid unless the offense is so bad that it's giving the FO serious concerns. As many have said...at worst....he's a cheap pickup that can easily be traded.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuq_e_Zi91 View Post

I'd just prefer he only does it in the off-season so he doesn't get caught again. Not only for his sake and the suspensions/fines/etc he would face, but also for team PR purposes.

It's comments like this that drives me up a wall. You are condoning him doing something that is ILLEGAL! Until the law is changed it's illegal, plain n simple.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    It's comments like this that drives me up a wall. You are condoning him doing something that is ILLEGAL! Until the law is changed it's illegal, plain n simple.
    My intention isn't to talk about legalizing it or the negative or positive effects of smoking marijuana.

I just don't care what he does in the off-season as long as he isn't hurting anyone or anything, and he's ready when it's time to work.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Posturing.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

He's cheap so you keep him, but I'd let him be nervous for a bit. How long do the Pacers have to decide?

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    He's cheap so you keep him, but I'd let him be nervous for a bit. How long do the Pacers have to decide?
    I believe opening day

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I believe opening day
    October 31st.

All options on rookie scale (1st Round) contracts have to be picked up by Halloween of the year before. Therefore, the Pacers will need decide the fourth year for Roy and Brandon and the third year for Hansbrough by Oct 31st.

On another note, it's looking like Portland may not pick up Oden's extension. I'd be all for the twin towers experiment.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really don't see why they should pick up the option. He's not a highly regarded player around the league and I doubt he'll get an offer as a free agent worth more than 2.9 million the first year.

I think they should wait and let him play for his next contract, whether that's with the Pacers or somewhere else. If he has a breakout season and commands top dollar from another team, I think the Pacers will be able to give all his minutes to Paul George and not miss a beat. That's also an extra 2.9 million in salary cap space too.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    On another note, it's looking like Portland may not pick up Oden's extension. I'd be all for the twin towers experiment.
    I'd love to see Oden back in Indy. He's been injury prone, but if you can get him for cheap and let him have some spot duty backing up Hibbert, you're in pretty good shape in the frontcourt. If he's able to shake his injury issues, the upside is still there to really pay off in the long run. He's still only 22 years old.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kuq_e_Zi91 View Post
    I thought dope was heroin?

Anyways, I'd still sign him for $2.9 million even if he kept smoking weed. I'd just prefer he only does it in the off-season so he doesn't get caught again. Not only for his sake and the suspensions/fines/etc he would face, but also for team PR purposes.
    First, I agree that they should extend him or at least exercise the option to keep him as an asset.

But seriously, that just sounds so wrong on so many levels. 3 million and he as an athlete is allowed to smoke weed? Seriously? I dont know how u guys handle that over there, but a professional shouldnt be allowed to smoke at all, let alone weed. They earn a **** load of money, are idols for many kids growing up, representing a community (or an entire state) and than u are fine with him smoking pot in the offseason? Come on.

Besides, guess it isnt good for his conditioning, but most of all it shows his character and his lack of attitude. Further, he was caught in the very offseason..

I'd let Rush play for his future at this point. We already have a hand full of SG's.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pathil275 View Post
    First, I agree that they should extend him or at least exercise the option to keep him as an asset.

But seriously, that just sounds so wrong on so many levels. 3 million and he as an athlete is allowed to smoke weed? Seriously? I dont know how u guys handle that over there, but a professional shouldnt be allowed to smoke at all, let alone weed. They earn a **** load of money, are idols for many kids growing up, representing a community (or an entire state) and than u are fine with him smoking pot in the offseason? Come on.

Besides, guess it isnt good for his conditioning, but most of all it shows his character and his lack of attitude. Further, he was caught in the very offseason..
    I don't know what you mean by saying what he makes allows him to smoke weed. No one is "allowed", but it happens. What I'm saying is many people can smoke weed, and still continue to be very successful, responsible individuals. Some people are just better at keeping it a part of their private lives than others. In Brandon's case, it showed a lack of judgment and maturity (or to be blunt, sheer stupidity) to be smoking during the season, especially after you already failed twice. It's something that I hope he learns from in the future - keeping his work and his private life separate.

I don't think many kids who watch the Pacers say, "I want to be just like #25!" (no offense to Brandon) But still, athletes have proven to be terrible role models for a long time now. I know, I used to idolize them myself as a kid. But you get older and you see that these people are very different when they're not on the court (as you would expect many people to be away from their work) so you learn to not get too attached just in case they mess up like this. And not getting too attached leads back to what my initial point was of not worrying about what they do in the off-season as long as they're not putting others in danger and that when the time comes to work, they work and earn that $3 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    Pacers have until Oct 31 or Rush will become a free agent in July 2011

I don't value Rush at 2.9M. Sure, it's not terrible value for him, either, but we just don't have a need. Unless we think some team would really want to trade for him, I'd let it expire, offer him a LLE type 1-1.5M deal, or he can sign elsewhere.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Dece For This Useful Post:

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Done deal on big Roy...Just got the Email!
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."