View Poll Results: Who do you blame most for Team USA's failure so far?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • NBA

3 23.08%
  • Larry Brown

3 23.08%
  • Players

7 53.85%

Thread: Who do you blame?

Default Who do you blame?

For Team USA's poor performance(s) so far.

The NBA - For streamlining their product towards the athletic, exciting 'slasher' players that make up the majority of the current Team USA.

Larry Brown/Selection Commitee - For putting big names ahead of well defined roles. He/They (i'm not entirely sure how the players were selected) could have insisted on getting shooters in the team. He made a half-hearted attempt to get Reggie to play, so i'm guessing Larry knew this would be a problem before they got here.

Team USA players - For struggling to function cohesively as a team.

Should I have included, Europe - For improving?

[edit=122=1092682158][/edit]
    [edit=122=1092684505]Fixing poll option[/edit]
    [edit=122=1092686696][/edit]

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Who do you blame?

What about the US selection committee? Where's Redd? Where's Hoiberg or Mike Miller or Kareem Rush? or Rip hamilton?

NewType

Quote Originally Posted by Pig
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What about the US selection committee? Where's Redd? Where's Hoiberg or Mike Miller or Kareem Rush? or Rip hamilton?
    IIRC, they did invite Rip, but he turned them down due to security reason.

It's the selection committee.

We'd have been better off using college players. Take 30 of them to a camp or something when school lets out in the spring, select your team from that group and make them a TEAM.

We might still have lost but we'd have seen better basketball.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

I blame USA Basketball-They are the selection committee for Team USA.

Honestly, I feel the NBA's higher ups are actually happy with the events. For the last 5 years David Stern has been really pushing for European expansion. Team USA's struggle to win just goes to show that there is more of a level playing field in basketball then what many may think. To me, this really opens the door for Int'l expansion because investors overseas can actually see that this is worth the investment in the facilities because unlike NFL Europe...NBA Europe will be possibly competing with the NBA.

David Stern is on his couch somewhere smiling because this could add even more money to the NBA's cauffers!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

I blame the players. And when I say "players" I mean the American NBA players in general not just this USA team specifically. If they had more of a team attitude and would practice their jumpers as much as their windmill dunks and streetball moves they wouldn't be wondering why this is happening.

Yes the foriegn teams are getting better but do those teams have anywhere near the talent we have? The simple answer is no. But what they do possess is a "team first" mentality and also the ability to hit jumpshots. Add that to the fact that their defensive abilities are improving and we are in trouble.

Would we win the gold if Shaq, KG, Kobe, etc. had played? Probably. Our talent level would be able to overshadow our weaknesses. But we would just be prolonging the inevitable because eventually the talent level will catch up to even those players. The difference will be that they will still use teamwork and good shooting to win while we continue to rely on talent alone. Unless of course streetball becomes popular overseas as well and then all the Olympic teams will have rosters full of And1 rejects. This of course would be a sure sign of the apocolypse.

How do you edit a poll with this forum? If I Edit Post > Add Poll then nothing happens...

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

You know what I am waiting for...When one of these NBA teams hires one of these Int'l coaches and tries to install the players, coaches and system of "Team Play". We seen that it worked in Utah this year with Jerry Sloan having a lot less talent and nearly making the play-offs in the west.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74