Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ted Leonsis praises NHL-style cap(Wizards owner)

Banned

Default Ted Leonsis praises NHL-style cap(Wizards owner)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5629666

FAIRFAX, Va. -- Washington Wizards majority owner Ted Leonsis told local business leaders Wednesday that he expects the NBA soon will have a hard salary cap similar to the NHL's model.

Leonsis, who also owns the Washington Capitals, spoke to a group of Northern Virginia business leaders before the Wizards' daily training camp session. He told them that the more fans a team has, the more they spend on the team, and the more the team has a chance to get and keep good players.

"In a salary-cap era -- and soon a hard-salary cap in the NBA like it is in the NHL -- if everyone can pay the same amount to the same amount of players, it's the small nuanced differences that matter," he said.

Asked after the speech to clarify his remarks, Leonsis pulled back from the comment, saying he was not authorized to speak about the ongoing NBA labor negotiations, but said he believed the NHL's system "is a good one."

"It's working," he said. "The teams are very, very competitive. There is no way that big markets teams can outspend small market teams. So when the season starts everyone thinks their team can compete for the Stanley Cup."

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Ted Leonsis praises NHL-style cap(Wizards owner)

Must be easy when you got a top superstar in the NHL. The cap may work but the TV contract and other things are total garbage amongst the NHL.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mr. Leonsis is talking a good game here, saying things about competition and small market teams being able to spend the same as the big market teams. But allow me to paraphrase what Mr. Leonsis is really saying here.

"The NHL salary cap model allows me to make more money on the Washington Capitals than I make on the Washington Wizards."

If you don't think it boils down to money for these owners you're fooling yourself.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you don't think it boils down to money for these owners you're fooling yourself.
    I'm sure owning a team is a giant ego trip, makes for nice talk on the cocktail circuit and helps to pull hot women but when you lay out 300 to 400 million for a business making a profit is reasonable expectation.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry Staverman For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Staverman View Post
    I'm sure owning a team is a giant ego trip, makes for nice talk on the cocktail circuit and helps to pull hot women but when you lay out 300 to 400 million for a business making a profit is reasonable expectation.
    I'm not saying it shouldn't be. But at least be upfront about it. He shouldn't try to pretend that his sole interest in making the NBA salary structure like the NHL is competition. The fact that Washington is a big market team tells me that. Does he want us to believe he's simply sticking up for the little guy?

Banned

Can anybody explain to me what is the difference and if a deal like that could benefit a team like Indiana? making teams equal is what we want right?

Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Mood

I'm not saying it shouldn't be. But at least be upfront about it. He shouldn't try to pretend that his sole interest in making the NBA salary structure like the NHL is competition. The fact that Washington is a big market team tells me that. Does he want us to believe he's simply sticking up for the little guy?

I don't care what his motive is because if there is a hard cap it will benefit a team like the Pacers and keep the league more competitive . The more support the better and to that I says thanks whether he makes more money or not.

I'm sure Stern is already unhappy he is running his mouth during negotiations but if he had said he wants the hard cap so he can more money Stern may have cut his tongue out.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry Staverman For This Useful Post:

Banned

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5629666

Ted Leonsis fined for praising hard cap

FAIRFAX, Va. -- Washington Wizards majority owner Ted Leonsis told local business leaders Wednesday that he expects the NBA soon will have a hard salary cap similar to the NHL's model.

NBA commissioner David Stern said that's not necessarily true -- and the NBA fined Leonsis $100,000 for "unauthorized public comments regarding the league's collective bargaining negotiations."

"We're negotiating and that was one of our negotiating points," Stern told The Associated Press, "but collective bargaining is a negotiating process, and that was not something that Ted was authorized to say and he will be dealt with for that lapse in judgment."

Leonsis, who also owns the Washington Capitals, spoke to a group of Northern Virginia business leaders before the Wizards' daily training camp session. He told them that the more fans a team has, the more they spend on the team, and the more the team has a chance to get and keep good players.

"In a salary-cap era -- and soon a hard-salary cap in the NBA like it is in the NHL -- if everyone can pay the same amount to the same amount of players, it's the small nuanced differences that matter," he said.

Asked after the speech to clarify his remarks, Leonsis pulled back from the comment, saying he was not authorized to speak about the ongoing NBA labor negotiations, but said he believed the NHL's system "is a good one."

"It's working," he said. "The teams are very, very competitive. There is no way that big markets teams can outspend small market teams. So when the season starts everyone thinks their team can compete for the Stanley Cup."

NBA teams can currently exceed the salary cap if they are willing to pay a luxury tax penalty. The league's proposal to the union for a new collective bargaining agreement to replace the one that expires next summer included elements of a hard cap, and the players rejected it during last season's All-Star break.

"There's a hard cap in the NFL, there's a hard cap in the NHL, and that was something that was part of our initial proposal," Stern said. "But we're open to a deal and it depends what the deal is."

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

He might worry about getting a better product out on the court. I feel for the Wiz fans for they've had to endure.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    He might worry about getting a better product out on the court. I feel for the Wiz fans for they've had to endure.
    I don't think is as bad as the things that pacers fans have been enduring for the past five years, JO, Tynsley, Jackson, JOB, etc,etc,etc.

Washington Wizards fans had to endured one year of crappy basketball and now are getting to watch maybe on the best point guards in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Can anybody explain to me what is the difference and if a deal like that could benefit a team like Indiana? making teams equal is what we want right?
    Unlike the NFL and NHL, the NBA features a so-called "soft" cap, meaning that there are several significant exceptions that allow teams to exceed the salary cap to sign players. This is done to allow teams to keep their own players, which, in theory, fosters fan support in each individual city. By contrast, the NFL and NHL caps are considered "hard," meaning that they offer relatively few (if any) circumstances in which teams can exceed the salary cap.

A hard cap would benefit the Pacers, IMO, because of Indy being a small market team. Teams like LA and NY could go over the cap and be able to recover because of the mere fact that their markets are much larger than a small market team, like Indy for example. Being that large market teams are able to generate more revenue, this gives their owners the flexibility to go over the cap, and luxury tax, and be able to still make a profit because of their market.

Therefore, if the NBA were to move to a hard-cap it would make all teams equal with respect to how much a team's salary is allowed to be. This in essence would benefit a team like the Pacers because large market teams cannot bully their way around by spending more money than the cap would allow
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    Therefore, if the NBA were to move to a hard-cap it would make all teams equal with respect to how much a team's salary is allowed to be. This in essence would benefit a team like the Pacers because large market teams cannot bully their way around by spending more money than the cap would allow
    Except that the NBA teams with the biggest payrolls haven't been that competitive over the last decade.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

If we do see a hard cap after this season, I'm glad we're about to be well under the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Except that the NBA teams with the biggest payrolls haven't been that competitive over the last decade.

Sure, there are some stinky teams with high payrolls, but even this season ('11), take a look at some of the salaries of what have very recently (and probably still are) some very good teams, including the last three champs:

Boston, $83.3m (~$25m over the cap)
    Orlando, $89.8m (~$32m over the cap)
    Dallas, $85.7m (~$27m over the cap)
    Denver, $83.0m (~$25m over the cap)
    Lakers, $94.7m (~36m over the cap)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A hard cap would be interesting to start. It would mean that you'd have to give teams a few years window to get under the cap, while putting restrictions on those teams to keep them from adding salary.

I haven't looked, but what if a team had a star player coming up soon as a FA, but were unable to sign them because of the restrictions placed on them until they get under the cap?

I think this whole CBA fight is going to be interesting to see how it turns out. Hopefully we don't lose an entire season though.

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    Must be easy when you got a top superstar in the NHL. The cap may work but the TV contract and other things are total garbage amongst the NHL.
    And the Crapitals have won how many Cups?
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I think the LeWadeBosh situation demonstrates that cap is not the only issue any more. If the CBA only deals with salaries and not other parity-affecting issues then team fandom will finally become obsolete.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I think the LeWadeBosh situation demonstrates that cap is not the only issue any more. If the CBA only deals with salaries and not other parity-affecting issues then team fandom will finally become obsolete.
    What exactly are you going to do about the LeWadeBosh situation? It was done fair and square. Historically, there have been a number of teams that have banked heavily on slashing their salary cap to the bare minimum in order to entice more than one MAX free agent.

I mean, what are you going to do about that stuff? That was 3 guys deciding to sign with the same team. They just happened to be 3 all-stars, with two of them being superstars.

"OK, new rule. You guys aren't allowed to talk to eachother over the summer". "And we're limiting teams to adding one all-star per summer."

That just doesn't sound viable to implement.

As far as fandom becoming completely obsolete, keep in mind the league was arguably at it's peak in the 80s when the Lakers and Celtics won 8 out of 10 championships between them. Then Jordan/Pippen dominated for 6 out of 8 years and it was a spectacle people took in, particularly when they weren't sure when Jordan's final season would be. The NBA as a business and a pop culture have done quite well during dynasty runs.
    Last edited by d_c; 09-30-2010 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    A hard cap would be interesting to start. It would mean that you'd have to give teams a few years window to get under the cap, while putting restrictions on those teams to keep them from adding salary.

I haven't looked, but what if a team had a star player coming up soon as a FA, but were unable to sign them because of the restrictions placed on them until they get under the cap?

I think this whole CBA fight is going to be interesting to see how it turns out. Hopefully we don't lose an entire season though.
    That's really the first things that popped into my head as well.

Parity is a great thing; but how long will it take to truly get there? And, when a cap is decided, will it be so large that it would not benefit the Pacers? I don't know the exact amounts, but as an example, under current rules, let's say the current cap is 58M but luxury tax does not have to be paid until teams go over 69M. So, what if the hard cap under a new rule were established to be about 68-70M? That would serve the purpose of setting a hard cap, thus making all teams equal (at least financially) in competing for players. But, we all know that the Pacers will remain in the red at 70M in salaries.

The best thing for the Pacers would not only be a hard cap, but decreased salaries and a significantly lower hard cap. Maybe something like 50M. It seems like that is the only way for teams like the Pacers to make money, and for the cost to the average attending fan to eventually decrease and become more affordable.

To keep a star player, it seems as though some sort of "franchise tag" will be necessary that will enable you to go over the cap to keep that one player.

Guaranteed contracts are more a concern for me, in length, but also that there aren't any way out of them. A mixture of what the NFL has with upfront money being the only guaranteed money sounds more important to me. Hard cap is fine, but only if it has enough built in room for small markets to compete for talent, which I think thats not really that related.

In other words, I want them to address guys who sign big long term contracts and then aren't in shape/stop working, looking at you Eddie Curry. This protects the owners, teammates, and fans from the Jamaal Tinsley's, Derrick Colemans of the world that can weigh your franchise down for years and years. Literally weigh in some cases.

A hard cap helps small market owners control costs, if done right, but for me the way it's structured now isn't too far off of a hard cap anyway. What I'm saying is, Carmelo or Lebron weren't coming to Indy or Milwaukee with a hard cap or the cap they have now, that won't change. You might get a second tier NBA stud all things being equal, but probably still never a top 10 player as a free agent, unless it's just a situation where only your team has the money available.

I mean I get it, why limit your earning potential with outside basketball revenue by going to Cleveland or Utah. Put it this way in Indy you get Kinetico and Andy Mohr commercials, in NY you probably get Tag Hauer and Gucci worldwide ad campaign endorsement deals. So I get it from a top 10 player standpoint. My point is hard, soft, inbetween caps won't likely change the small markets chance to lure a top 10 player.

But you can protect the league, as a whole, from being held hostage by players who won't work, by limiting the guaranteed contract.

Listen, I'm on the side of any person trying to make as much money as the market bears, but I'm against workers not earning that money in an ongoing basis.

I think the guaranteed contract issue is WAY more important to me, imho.
    Last edited by Speed; 09-30-2010 at 10:40 AM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    What exactly are you going to do about the LeWadeBosh situation? It was done fair and square. Historically, there have been a number of teams that have banked heavily on slashing their salary cap to the bare minimum in order to entice more than one MAX free agent.
    Franchise player status? Some other creative option to let a team keep a player they've invested a lot of money and PR into?

What I mean is that money is no longer the be-all and end-all motivation, which is to be expected when the numbers get so high you couldn't spend it all in a dozen lifetimes. There needs to be another way to keep a team from being torn to pieces without being able to do anything about it. It should be as fair as possible to the players, but it needs to be designed to keep some parity in the league.

As far as fandom becoming completely obsolete, keep in mind the league was arguably at it's peak in the 80s when the Lakers and Celtics won 8 out of 10 championships between them. Then Jordan/Pippen dominated for 6 out of 8 years and it was a spectacle people took in, particularly when they weren't sure when Jordan's final season would be. The NBA as a business and a pop culture have done quite well during dynasty runs.
    This argument keeps getting used, but it doesn't speak to whether that was the best the NBA could possibly hope for or even if it is something that will keep Professional Basketball a sport rather than a show. Who knows if the NBA during years when they DIDN'T have a Bird/Magic or a Jordan could have made just as large a profits if effort was made in getting fans loyal to their local teams buying local team gear and selling out local arenas on nights when the Big Hype Superstar ISN'T in town. How much would that ADD in years where a Hype Player exists?

Unfortunately, the Superstar Income Model has pretty much been the only thing Stern and the NBA have looked at. How much of a stretch is it to decide that the model of having 30+ teams of which half of them will be bad on any given night isn't bringing in enough $$$ - just put together a team of the best players, put together another team of players who will lose to them, tour them around the country charging $150 per nosebleed seat, and show them on pay-per-view. Huge money, huge jersey sales, huge hype. Not a sports league, though. More like WWE.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    ya but they have been selling tickets. A team doesnt necessarily have to win to sell tickets. (I know this is a different league) But look at the Toronto Maple Leafs for example, they have been at the bottom of the league for many many many years now but they have had one of the best attendance records in the NHL
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Franchise player status? Some other creative option to let a team keep a player they've invested a lot of money and PR into?

What I mean is that money is no longer the be-all and end-all motivation, which is to be expected when the numbers get so high you couldn't spend it all in a dozen lifetimes. There needs to be another way to keep a team from being torn to pieces without being able to do anything about it. It should be as fair as possible to the players, but it needs to be designed to keep some parity in the league.

This argument keeps getting used, but it doesn't speak to whether that was the best the NBA could possibly hope for or even if it is something that will keep Professional Basketball a sport rather than a show. Who knows if the NBA during years when they DIDN'T have a Bird/Magic or a Jordan could have made just as large a profits if effort was made in getting fans loyal to their local teams buying local team gear and selling out local arenas on nights when the Big Hype Superstar ISN'T in town. How much would that ADD in years where a Hype Player exists?

Unfortunately, the Superstar Income Model has pretty much been the only thing Stern and the NBA have looked at. How much of a stretch is it to decide that the model of having 30+ teams of which half of them will be bad on any given night isn't bringing in enough $$$ - just put together a team of the best players, put together another team of players who will lose to them, tour them around the country charging $150 per nosebleed seat, and show them on pay-per-view. Huge money, huge jersey sales, huge hype. Not a sports league, though. More like WWE.
    I think a franchise status tag is something that will be discussed, but I don't think it's going to be implemented the same way it is in the NFL. The NFL does have a franchise tag, but it's impact isn't nearly as great as a similarly implemented tag in the NBA.

Anybody can argue that Stern and the league COULD have had a different type of marketing/promotional approach in the 80s. Sure, we'll never know how different it could have been, but bottom line is Stern has been VERY successful as is.

Before Magic, Bird and Stern, the NBA was struggling in the 70s. They weren't nearly as big as they are today. They had low attendance and tape delayed playoff games. It was the rise of two dynasties in big markets that really put the NBA back on the map. I'm pretty sure the league is happy with the way the 1980s turned.

The reality is that people (the general public and casual sports fans) like superstars. They like dynasties. They like heroes. They like to see juggernaut teams and then whether or not someone can take down that juggernaut. People want entertainment, and that's what entertains them. Sure, a bunch of hardcore fans like us on boards such as these would be fine with seeing a less supestar-centric league. But take away that element and the big interest from the casual fan will wane.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sure, a bunch of hardcore fans like us on boards such as these would be fine with seeing a less supestar-centric league. But take away that element and the big interest from the casual fan will wane.
    So all the small market teams (San Antonio not withstanding) have to watch as the superstars all congregate in 4 cities? Bull****! EVERY team, and the fans that make the NBA possible, deserves a chance to draft and keep a superstar for their fanbase to cherish.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

So all the small market teams (San Antonio not withstanding) have to watch as the superstars all congregate in 4 cities? Bull****! EVERY team, and the fans that make the NBA possible, deserves a chance to draft and keep a superstar for their fanbase to cherish.
    And when did I say that?

I didn't say what was fair or not. Or what was right or wrong, or what should or shouldn't happen. All I said is that, traditionally, the league's popularity in mainstream media is going to be higher when the "marquee" franchises are doing well.

The Lakers/Celts dynasties of the 80s illustrates that. I don't know what else says it better. The NBA trudged through the 70's as an afterthought stepsister to the MLB/NFL. Nobody cared about the league. It was completely revitalized with two dominant dynasties. Whether you like that or not, the NBA as a viable business is in a far, far better situation today because of the Magic/Bird era of dominance.

FTR, Utah was able to keep two HOF superstars for pretty much their entire careers not only in a small market, but in a city/state that is probably at the very bottom of the list that young pro athletes want to play in.