Thread: Re: the Olympics

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: the Olympics

How much interest would there be in the Olympics if the use of national emblems (ie..national anthems of "winning" competitors home country) were eliminated. Or the elimination of national symbols from uniforms etc.??? Would people still take note or is it a nationalistic competition of "my country is better than your country"?
    Why do they raise the winners flag and play his national anthem? Isn't it supposed to be about the competition?

2nd question...are any of the particular events still restricted to amatuers?
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Re: the Olympics

1st Question: It is about competition, but it is also about national pride.

2nd Question: I'm not sure, but I seriously doubt it.

1) Even in the Ancient Greece competitors represented the City States. The Olympics brought all the City States of Greece together in competition. Todays olympics are in the same vain (though I don't know if spectators and competitors rooted for Sparta against Athens or whathaveyou).

2) Isn't figure skating (winter Olympics) still amatuer and is there such a thing as professional gymnastics?
    [edit=390=1092680830][/edit]

Nationalism is the basis of the Olympics.

Trust me, I worked for a governing body for 14 years - there are no amateurs. They don't even use that terminology anymore.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.