Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: NOW ARE MY BEARS LEGIT?

woman without a team

Default Re: NOW ARE MY BEARS LEGIT?

Had the Lions TD at the end of the first game counted (like it should have) would you still be asking that question?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess SA is bigger than Indy too, right? How many NBA championships do they have? They won those while the Pacers had something like 17 years in the playoffs.

Milwaukee is bigger too right? NBA & WS championships.

Not to mention that HUGH metropolitan city of Green Bay with their SB wins.
    Just in case you haven't got it figured out, size hasn't anything to do with it.
    Size absolutely has something to do with it, and if you really don't think it does, you are a tad more insane than I previously thought. You were spewing on about overall championships in baseball, football, hockey, etc. Guess what? The reason Chicago can support all those franchises is because it's a huge *** city. When you have that sort of population, you can support a franchise in every sport. Rest assured if Indy was the third largest metro area in the country that we would have MLB, NHL, MLS, and whatever other teams you can think of. And when you have more teams...you have a better opportunity to win! See how this works? Indy gets two chances every year to win a professional sports title: Colts and Pacers. Chicago gets two for baseball (although, incredibly, those two dip**** franchises have only won 1 World Series in the past 90 years between them), one for football, one for basketball, and then if you want to go count all the other fringe sports, feel free. Chitown was established as a big city very early, so they racked up a lot of titles when there were only like 6 professional teams in the sport (i.e., all those pre-Super Bowl era titles the Bears won). Not to mention: athletes want to play in a bigger market. More resources, more money, more exposure.

Sure, you just listed the exception to the rule with your San Antonio diatribe, and I'm not sure if you are aware, but Green Bay is, for all intents and purposes, in the Milwaukee media market. Yeah, size doesn't have everything to do with it, I'll give you that, but to say it has nothing to do with it? Don't be so short sighted.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    Every summer, whether they are going to be any good or not, the Bears marketing arm (commonly known as the Chicago Tribune) begins talking them up as Super Bowl contenders.

Look, I get that Bears fans love thier team. That's admirable. But they're pretty stupid about thier enthusiasm, too. (Kordell Stewart was the answer to their problems at the beginning of the decade, remember?)

I would welcome the opportunity for more football conversations with actual real-live people in Chicago if the conversations every year weren't the same: "The Packers SUCK! Brett Favre is a choker. I don't know what's wrong with the Bears, they've got the talent this year to win it all, they just need an X."

When the reality is this, X = offensive line, defensive line, secondary, QB, recievers, AND running back.

Ugh.
    Sadly this is the same thing the Redskins and The WAPO do.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Size absolutely has something to do with it, and if you really don't think it does, you are a tad more insane than I previously thought. You were spewing on about overall championships in baseball, football, hockey, etc. Guess what? The reason Chicago can support all those franchises is because it's a huge *** city. When you have that sort of population, you can support a franchise in every sport. Rest assured if Indy was the third largest metro area in the country that we would have MLB, NHL, MLS, and whatever other teams you can think of. And when you have more teams...you have a better opportunity to win! See how this works? Indy gets two chances every year to win a professional sports title: Colts and Pacers. Chicago gets two for baseball (although, incredibly, those two dip**** franchises have only won 1 World Series in the past 90 years between them), one for football, one for basketball, and then if you want to go count all the other fringe sports, feel free. Chitown was established as a big city very early, so they racked up a lot of titles when there were only like 6 professional teams in the sport (i.e., all those pre-Super Bowl era titles the Bears won). Not to mention: athletes want to play in a bigger market. More resources, more money, more exposure.

Sure, you just listed the exception to the rule with your San Antonio diatribe, and I'm not sure if you are aware, but Green Bay is, for all intents and purposes, in the Milwaukee media market. Yeah, size doesn't have everything to do with it, I'll give you that, but to say it has nothing to do with it? Don't be so short sighted.

Exactly. Basic logic dictates that if you took the Indianapolis Metro Area and multiplied it by about 5, I'm pretty sure we'd be able to support an MLB team and we certainly wouldn't have trouble filling Conseco. I'm pretty sure we could squeeze out an extra 6 or so thousand per game out of the extra 8 million people that lived in the area - which would put us at the same population as Chicago.

Chicago's willingness to support it's team has far less to due with a diehard fan base than it does the massive size of the city.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

I don't know about that. They don't care if the Cubs are any good... they've been supporting those jokers for decades and it doesn't matter if they win or lose, by golly they're gonna keep doing it.

And they don't care if the Bears are any good. The team is automatically a SB contender because every Bears team is. Every team that doesn't win a SB is a heartbreaker. Even that 6-10 team a couple of season ago was *this* close to winning the SB before they broke everyone's heart.

They are diehards. They are dumb diehards. But diehards, yes.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lightbulb Re: NOW ARE MY BEARS LEGIT?

I don't know about that. They don't care if the Cubs are any good... they've been supporting those jokers for decades and it doesn't matter if they win or lose, by golly they're gonna keep doing it.

And they don't care if the Bears are any good. The team is automatically a SB contender because every Bears team is. Every team that doesn't win a SB is a heartbreaker. Even that 6-10 team a couple of season ago was *this* close to winning the SB before they broke everyone's heart.

They are diehards. They are dumb diehards. But diehards, yes.
    i care if my cubs & bears are good (cubs are a lost cause i havent watched a game after big Z blow up and problly wont watch till Alfonso Armis and Z ect. are gone this is the first year i didnt go to a game, normally go to 8-10) who every said anything about a superbowl??? NOT ME i am just asking what you think there record will be and why ty very much

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    i care if my cubs & bears are good (cubs are a lost cause i havent watched a game after big Z blow up and problly wont watch till Alfonso Armis and Z ect. are gone this is the first year i didnt go to a game, normally go to 8-10) who every said anything about a superbowl??? NOT ME i am just asking what you think there record will be and why ty very much
    I think we all kind of figured that when you ask if a team is "legit," that you mean a legit contender. That's how I generally take things.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I think we all kind of figured that when you ask if a team is "legit," that you mean a legit contender. That's how I generally take things.
    When I saw the word "legit", I thought instantly of the word pansies.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    who every said anything about a superbowl
    The Tribune, back in July. Every July.

Picking up Cutler was "supposed" to make them the "team to beat" in the NFC last year... since everyone in Chicago knows that Aaron Rodger sucks and that Favre is washed up. (Actually, that last one may finally be true. I guess after 10 years they may finally be right.)

Mood

(Actually, that last one may finally be true. I guess after 10 years they may finally be right.)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

That's awesome.

Mood

The Tribune, back in July. Every July.

Picking up Cutler was "supposed" to make them the "team to beat" in the NFC last year... since everyone in Chicago knows that Aaron Rodger sucks and that Favre is washed up. (Actually, that last one may finally be true. I guess after 10 years they may finally be right.)
    im talkin about in this thead u are coming across that all bears fans think we are SB contenders

Nerd.
    Mood

Wow. Cutler was sacked 9 times in the first half, plus 1 INT and 1 fumble....

That's a legit suckfest.

two 0.500 teams at best (by the end of the season) playing tonight. ugh.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Was Cutler stoned during this game? He looked "stunned and dazed" before he was head slammed at the end of the second quarter. One of the worst outings I've ever seen by a QB. Looks like he barely prepared for this game.

Also, the Bears are not legit. They are lucky they aren't 1-3 after tonight. They could have easily lost to the Packers and should have lost to Detroit in week 1. They've got a solid defense and special teams, but their offense is terrible.

Nerd.
    Mood

You know you're in a bad position when Caleb Hanie comes in as QB...

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Was Cutler stoned during this game? He looked "stunned and dazed" before he was head slammed at the end of the second quarter. One of the worst outings I've ever seen by a QB. Looks like he barely prepared for this game.

Also, the Bears are not legit. They are lucky they aren't 1-3 after tonight. They could have easily lost to the Packers and should have lost to Detroit in week 1. They've got a solid defense and special teams, but their offense is terrible.
    ya that was the worst game i have ever seen wow cutler blows the O line blows

Mood

YOU NEED TO LOOK AGAIN AT THE QUALITY OF YOUR FIRST THREE OPPONENTS. IF YOU WERE 1-2 AGAINST THE LIONS (@ HOME), COWBOYS (overrated), AND PACKERS (MNF @ HOME), YOU'D BE STARING AT ANOTHER 5-11 OR 6-10 SEASON.

EVEN WITH SAYING THAT I THINK THE BEARS ARE CLOSE TO A 0.500 TEAM, I KNEW THEY'D GET OFF TO A GOOD START. A FEW OF THE MORE-SOPHISTICATED FOLKS AROUND HERE (ONES THAT REALIZE THAT THERE ARE 31 OTHER TEAMS AND THAT NFC UTTERLY SUCKS RELATIVE TO THE AFC) THINK THEY ARE SETTING THEMSELVES UP TO BE THIS YEARS' BRONCOS: START 6-0; MISS PLAYOFFS. THAT'S POSSIBLE, AS THE GIANTS AND PANTHERS ARE BOTH PRETTY BAD. STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT TO MAKE OF SEAHAWKS YET.
    The Cowboys aren't overrated, they are under coached.
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor

The Cowboys have been overrated way before Wade Phillips was in town.

Last week I was listening to ESPN radio and Tony K. was arguing that the league needs the Cowboys to be good in order to stay on top. Right there is all the evidence you need to realize that ESPN will pump Dallas up at any given opportunity. To think the league will dwindle if they aren't good, considering they haven't won a playoff game in a decade and the NFL has never been more popular is mind blowing.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Didn't the Cowboys win a playoff game last year?

But yeah, Dallas SUCKS!

Yep, beat the Eagles. My bad. So they've won, what, one playoff game in the 2000's? Still not a good record for a team that supposedly needs to win in order for the league to stay on top.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Yep, beat the Eagles. My bad. So they've won, what, one playoff game in the 2000's? Still not a good record for a team that supposedly needs to win in order for the league to stay on top.
    I think all Kornheiser meant by that is that the NFL is more fun to follow when the Cowboys are good. Kind of like baseball being better when the Yankees are good, or college basketball better when IU, UNC, UK, etc. are good. It is one of the best franchises in the NFL with a huge following. It's just more fun when they are good, supposedly.

And its even more fun when they're really good, but still lose to the Steelers.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post

Yep. And the NFL has been more popular than ever in recent years while the Cowboys haven't been all that relevant. That kinda distorts the notion that the league "needs" Dallas to do well.

The sentiment that the MLB needs the Yankees and to a lesser extent, the Red Sox, to do well is true as baseball isn't near as popular as it used to be. But the NFL is such a beast right now and doesn't need any particular team to do well. However, it will be interesting to see if an NFL strike has the same negative effects as the 1994 baseball strike.