Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taking a player's reaction out of the game.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Taking a player's reaction out of the game.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archiv...ions_to_calls/

The NBA announced the guidelines for technical fouls will expand to include "overt" player reactions to referee calls.

The rule is intended to prevent excessive complaining from players.

When players demonstratively throw their hands in the air or demonstrate how he was fouled by hitting his own arm, a technical will be issued.

Even if a player excessively asks about a call in a civilized, referees are instructed to issue a technical foul.

Via ESPN

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archiv...#ixzz10RsBIvgQ
    __________________________________________________ _______________

They are taking life out of the game. Ever since the 90's they have done nothing to improve the game. The 90's were more physical, and just fun to watch.
    Passion, Pride, Playoffs, Pacers

Default Re: Taking a player's reaction out of the game.

thats crap!
    Sports is about wrong decisions, with no discussion i dont see much passion in the game anymore thats *****. We could watch a polo game which might have more emotion then.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Didn't they already try to do something like this a few years ago? If it is a further crackdown beyond what they did then, good luck in enforcing it with any consistency.

Talk about a totally subjective way to potentially manipulate games by the officials, too -- a few questionable calls in a tight game, players and coaches react, the opponents go to the line or ejections occur, game turns ugly and a formerly close game is not anymore.

People have emotions. Stern needs to get over himself on this one IMO. If used incorrectly, it could damage the league.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

I don't like the sounds of this. Trying to take the ref's judgment out of when to call a technical is not going to work and it is wrong. Every situation is not the same - let the refs have the option of when to call a T

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't like the sounds of this. Trying to take the ref's judgment out of when to call a technical is not going to work and it is wrong. Every situation is not the same - let the refs have the option of when to call a T
    With a lot of the older guys retiring, I guess they figure all these young refs need some training wheels?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/15/sp...eree.html?_r=2
    Last edited by MagicRat; 09-24-2010 at 09:08 AM.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Good points all, astute counterargument.

Also, predictably, there will be chaos in the first two months.

This may be harder to rescind than the too-short three-point line.

"Defense doesn't break down on the help, it breaks down on the recovery." - Chuck Daly

"The first shot does not beat you." - Chuck Daly

"To play defense and not foul is an art that must be mastered if you are going to be successful." - Chuck Daly

I'll wait till it plays out, but it sounds terrible. Mostly b/c you have players who gesture/complain b/c they were ACTUALLY FOULED who are now being punished by the overreactions of players (mostly superstars) who feel they're fouled on every play, and that they never foul on the other end.

Best example was the home game against the Cavs a couple year ago, where Granger clearly didn't foul Lebron on the lob inbound pass and then the Pacers ran the same type of play and Lebron was called for the foul and threw a hissy fit!

Depending on how strict this policy is, we could see a jump in ejections this year

Mood

Personally I have never been one to enjoy Rasheed's tirades over the years. However, that is the extreme side of it. They have to allow for the players to at least have some sort of reaction, it is only human.
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

While I agree that the whining and demonstrative behavior needs to be curbed, the NBA needs to realize that basketball is an emotional game. You can't turn humans into robots, no matter how many rules you lay down.

Also, if the officiating wasn't so poor overall, there would probably be fewer complaints about bad calls.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    I'll wait till it plays out, but it sounds terrible. Mostly b/c you have players who gesture/complain b/c they were ACTUALLY FOULED who are now being punished by the overreactions of players (mostly superstars) who feel they're fouled on every play, and that they never foul on the other end.

Best example was the home game against the Cavs a couple year ago, where Granger clearly didn't foul Lebron on the lob inbound pass and then the Pacers ran the same type of play and Lebron was called for the foul and threw a hissy fit!

Depending on how strict this policy is, we could see a jump in ejections this year
    Completely agree. Imagine a player getting fouled with no call. The player instinctively reacts and demonstrates how he is fouled while turning and running towards the official, who ignores him. The player then continues to complain while his hometown crowd is lustily booing. The official could theoretically run that player for having committed multiple technical foul infractions on a single play even if the player was correct about the missed call and is simply reacting in a human manner given the emotional situation of the flow of the game.

Basketball is a sport played by people. It is not a video game where the players are just computer generated characters devoid of emotions.

I do think there needs to be something done for the actual overreactions, but this is just excessive and an overreaction on the NBA's part.

Isn't this the same thing they did a few years back. My understanding was that they got pretty strict about things a few years ago, let it get looser to this point, and are now going back to the strict way.

I'm surprised at all the negative reaction. Basketball is an emotional sport but complaining about the officiating is one way I do not care to see that emotion channeled. I hate the whining. Sure, sometimes guys get fouled and no call is made, but that doesn't mean they have to "overtly react" to it -- they can talk to the official during a stoppage in play or have the coach do it or what have you. Practically every time down the floor you have someone looking at the ref in disbelief and throwing their arms in the air. Get rid of it, I say.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    While I agree that the whining and demonstrative behavior needs to be curbed, the NBA needs to realize that basketball is an emotional game. You can't turn humans into robots, no matter how many rules you lay down.

Also, if the officiating wasn't so poor overall, there would probably be fewer complaints about bad calls.
    I agree with everything above. There's nothing to add other than if they really do implement this, it's only going to put the spotlight on the referees more and alienate the players and the fans from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    There's nothing to add other than if they really do implement this, it's only going to put the spotlight on the referees more and alienate the players and the fans from them.
    If you're right, the result would be the opposite of what the league intends. It wouldn't be the first time.
    :

"Defense doesn't break down on the help, it breaks down on the recovery." - Chuck Daly

"The first shot does not beat you." - Chuck Daly

"To play defense and not foul is an art that must be mastered if you are going to be successful." - Chuck Daly

I don't find this all that apocalyptic. Its a pretty brightline rule: shut up and play.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to judicata For This Useful Post:

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

JO and SJax might as well retire....

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mildlysane For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I do think there needs to be something done for the actual overreactions, but this is just excessive and an overreaction on the NBA's part.
    So, the NBA is overreacting to overreacting.

I irony.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

At one point in time, only coaches were allowed to communicate with the referees. I wouldn't mind seeing that, just to see what it's like.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

The last several posts were really good.

I'm in favor of anything the NBA does to enforce a "shut up and play" situation. Although this seems to be an overreaction to an overreaction problem, its better than allowing the status quo.

This, "the NBA game is emotional" nonsense is part of the problem. The referee is not changing the call because you complain or throw a fit. So shut up. Or get ejected. I don't care which. At least this way, the immature temper tantrums will stop.

I just hope they take care of ejecting players during a dead ball. The last thing you want to see is the referees stop an opponent's fast break because Stephen Jackson is 70 feet behind the play, sreaming at an official while his man is about to score. Let them finish the play and then eject Stephen. Not that I'm specfically thinking of any play against the Nets in a playoff game or anything...
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

This is a really, really bad idea. Nothing good will come of this.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Stern need to realize that these are highly competitive athletes here! Which means emouons are gonna run high. Anyone with a passion for something shows how much things mean to them in one way or another! Now some players are known for this kinda stuff so I understand to an extent! But all to be punished is rediculous! All this rule is gonna do is make the athletes more frustrated when they get a technical and then there is really gonna be suspensions. I mean the refs make mistakes and if your wrong your wrong and if others kno your wrong they have to right to vent it in a positive way! Think about when that brawl that happened when David stern was there...he didn't look like some kind of expression with a monotenous look on his face no! He showed how he felt at the time and even got out of his seat to look....DOUBLE TECHNICAL! And to stay on him, how about this new CBA? What happens when both sides can't come to an agreement after a while is he gonna frustrated...ABSOLUTELY! So them making his rule is actually more a less of a way to take away human emotions which these players were born with! THIS ISNT KINDGERGARTEN YOU CANT TELL GROWN MEN THAT THEY CANT SHOW ANY EMOTIONS EVEN WHEN THEYVE BEEN WRONGED! THAT'S UNCIVILIZED!

SO TO END THIS I SAY STERN IS BEING UNREASONABLE AND NEED TO REALIZE WHO HES DEALING WIT...HUMANS NO ROBOTS U CANT JUS FLIP A SWITCHAND THEN EMOTIONS GO AWAY! COME ON STERN!

It's not what you say, but how you say it. I tell that to one of my buddies all the time.

Even if a player excessively asks about a call in a civilized, referees are instructed to issue a technical foul.
    That's where it's going to turn ugly. SJax/JO should have gotten a lot more techs than they did, but a player who walks over to a ref just to talk about the situation shouldn't get t'ed up. And it's really hard to define "excessive."

I think the NBA should promote conversation between officials. It's a good thing if a player goes up and asks why it was a foul, or asks the limits of contact. Why in the world would you punish that type of interaction?

The whole system is designed to pamper players, and now you're going to punish them for acting like divas on the most basic level? That makes sense.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    The last several posts were really good.

I'm in favor of anything the NBA does to enforce a "shut up and play" situation. Although this seems to be an overreaction to an overreaction problem, its better than allowing the status quo.

This, "the NBA game is emotional" nonsense is part of the problem. The referee is not changing the call because you complain or throw a fit. So shut up. Or get ejected. I don't care which. At least this way, the immature temper tantrums will stop.
    They're not just ruling on the "temper tantrums" though. From what was quoted at the top, they're going to assess techs even if the player signals that he was hit...

"When players demonstratively throw their hands in the air or demonstrate how he was fouled by hitting his own arm, a technical will be issued."

That is ridiculous in my opinion. Anyone who's played basketball, or any athletically-based sport, knows that it's only human nature to react to a perceived missed call. It might only be a quick motion that he was hacked across the arm and then he'll continue playing, but that's now supposed to by called a tech - absurd!

This is along the same lines for me as a player not allowing to celebrate a good play as that's considered "taunting". Absolute joke.

I understand the need to curb Rasheed Wallace type complaining, but most players don't do anything like that. Removing emotion (or trying to because removing emotion is impossible) from a sport can only hurt it. Sport by nature is emotional. It's like telling someone; "you are not to show emotion during sex".

As was mentioned by someone above, bring back the 90's rules. More physical ball. It'll strengthen rivalries and allow for a more free sport. I have no problem with a lower score, as long as players can react to situations like human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman View Post
    http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archiv...ions_to_calls/

The NBA announced the guidelines for technical fouls will expand to include "overt" player reactions to referee calls.

The rule is intended to prevent excessive complaining from players.

When players demonstratively throw their hands in the air or demonstrate how he was fouled by hitting his own arm, a technical will be issued.

Via ESPN
    I hear that if you hit yourself hard enough it'll warrant a flagrant foul.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LG33 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    I hear that if you hit yourself hard enough it'll warrant a flagrant foul.
    Line of the day.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post: