Thread: Mike Wells: 5 questions heading into training camp

Default Mike Wells: 5 questions heading into training camp

I thought question #3 was a little insulting - Granger is going to sulk during the NBA season because he didn't play much for Team USA - that makes no sense.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...to-5-questions

Pacers success hinges on finding answers to 5 questions

Sep 27, 2010 | 12 Comments
    TwitterFacebookShare
    Del.icio.us Digg Reddit Facebook Twitter Newsvine Buzz up!FarkIt EmailPrintAAA

Written by

Mike Wells

The Indiana Pacers' optimism comes from their new 6-foot point guard who turned a lot of heads with his dazzling play in his 37 starts with the New Orleans Hornets last season.

They also have a third-year center who put in the type of work during the summer that should earn him some more touches in the post.

Their small forward, who has averaged at least 19 points a game each of the past three seasons, will play with a chip on his shoulder after riding the bench with Team USA over the summer.

Now the Pacers have to turn all the optimism into more victories.

The Pacers have media day today at Conseco Fieldhouse and start two-a-day practices Tuesday.

Here are five key things -- in order of importance -- to pay attention to during training camp.

Who will be the starting power forward on opening night in San Antonio on Oct. 27?

That was the question seconds after the Pacers traded Troy Murphy to New Jersey in a four-team deal last month.

Team officials have acknowledged they have a big hole at that position.

Tyler Hansbrough, Josh McRoberts, Jeff Foster, Solomon Jones and even Danny Granger will get a look at the position. But each has a significant concern.

Hansbrough was just cleared for contact last week after dealing with vertigo for nearly nine months. McRoberts isn't ready to be a starter. Foster is coming off back surgery. Jones is too inconsistent. Granger can't play that position on a full-time basis.

Will Jim O'Brien let Darren Collison play his game?

O'Brien is about to have his third opening night starting point guard in four seasons.

He gushed over Jamaal Tinsley and T.J. Ford at the beginning only to end up with an oil-and-water relationship with both players.

The Pacers hope the same won't happen with Collison.

O'Brien wants his players to move the ball in his "passing game." Collison excels in pick-and-roll situations.

The two will have to meet in the middle to avoid another bad point guard-coach affair.

Will Danny Granger play with motivation or sulk?

Granger got a big piece of humble pie when he only played 9.7 minutes -- third fewest -- a game with Team USA because of his inability to defend well enough for coach Mike Krzyzewski.

(Page 2 of 2)
    Pacers officials hope Granger will use the snub -- and what he learned from playing with Kevin Durant -- to get back on track defensively so he can become a better all-around player.

Can the defense stop anybody?

The Pacers have talked about playing better defense as much as the Colts have talked about improving their rushing.

Teams have shot 45.4 percent, 45.8 percent and 45.3 percent against the Pacers in O'Brien's three seasons.

Perimeter defensive flaws have allowed opponents lanes to the basket for easy points.
    The Pacers have gotten more athletic on the perimeter and they got rid of Murphy, a defensive liability.

Will the Pacers make Roy Hibbert a factor in the post?Hibbert put in the work during the offseason.

He worked with Hall of Fame center Bill Walton. He took up kickboxing to improve his conditioning. He got his body fat down to 10 percent.

None of that will mean anything if the Pacers don't work through him in the post offensively and do a better job containing the perimeter defensively to help keep Hibbert out of foul trouble.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Mike Wells: 5 questions heading into training camp

All that third question tells me is that we're officially past the honey moon period with Granger, and that if we don't see some improvement this season, the media and a lot of the people on this board will be clamoring to hang him by his thumbs from the Soldier's and Sailor's monument on the Circle a la when JO jumped the shark around here.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Granger hasn't had some good talent around him and has had to carry too much on his back the last couple years. I'm not ready to sell him up the river yet.

DC2 adds a real PG and Roy's continued development brings a FC presence we've lacked for quite a bit of time.

If DC2 is a PnR PG and JOB is about movement and getting the ball out of the PG's hands and getting scoring from the wings as opposed to dumping it into Roy, I'm fretting our coaching situation and it not adopting a new system to fit our personnel.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MyFavMartin For This Useful Post:

I thought last season the pacers perimater defense was much improved from the previous two seasons. With Watson, Rush, and D. Jones - the perimeter defense wasn't the problem. The interior defense was the problem IMO.

I think the Darren Collision question is the most important and relevant of the 5. I'll be watching that very closely. I've contended for 3 seasons that if Jim gets a point guard who is worthy, he'll adjust the offense. So we'll see.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Granger hasn't had some good talent around him and has had to carry too much on his back the last couple years. I'm not ready to sell him up the river yet.

DC2 adds a real PG and Roy's continued development brings a FC presence we've lacked for quite a bit of time.

If DC2 is a PnR PG and JOB is about movement and getting the ball out of the PG's hands and getting scoring from the wings as opposed to dumping it into Roy, I'm fretting our coaching situation and it not adopting a new system to fit our personnel.
    Danny's been forced to become 1 dimensional because of what else we had on the floor.
    He doesn't need to do that any longer and he'll be a much better player if he can adapt back.

If OB can't get along with THIS (another) pg, it's time to get rid of the coach.

JOB would be a fool if he does not run more pick and roll. With athletic young guys like Hansbrough and McRoberts, it makes no sense to not have them rolling to basket and throwing down a monster dunk from DC. And with DC being a good 3pt shooter, the defense is going to have to honor that PnR and not cheat underneath. Who do you think in this league is going to out and challenge Hans when he rolls to the basket full speed and catches that pass for a dunk. Get out of the way.

JOB needs to watch how Spurs do it. They are best in the league at PnR. This year Tony Parker and Splitter are going to eat teams alive with it.
    Last edited by graphic-er; 09-27-2010 at 04:25 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    JOB would be a fool if he does not run more pick and roll. With athletic young guys like Hansbrough and McRoberts, it makes no sense to not have them rolling to basket and throwing down a monster dunk from DC. And with DC being a good 3pt shooter, the defense is going to have to honor that PnR and not cheat underneath.

JOB needs to watch how Spurs do it. They are best in the league at PnR. This year Tony Parker and Splitter are going to eat teams alive with it.
    yes PnR will Tyler & Magnum PnR all day.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Is this the best Mike Wells can come up with? How about some quotes? What the heck about the DG-sulking comment?

Granger got a big piece of humble pie when he only played 9.7 minutes -- third fewest -- a game with Team USA because of his inability to defend well enough for coach Mike Krzyzewski.
    Did he ever act like he was mad about it? How does a lack of minutes cause him to sulk, when he hasn't complained. In fact, he's humbled over the whole experience (Let's just hope he, Kevin Durant, and Derrick Rose don't all decide to go to another team).

The two will have to meet in the middle to avoid another bad point guard-coach affair.
    What? That doesn't make sense. They don't even know each other yet, and Darren sounds happy to have JOB. I understand he's refering to TJ and JT, but come on. Whats the chances of that happening again. The TJ affair had to do with gameplay, and JT had to do with off the court affairs, and that PHX game.