Thread: Moving to Indy

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Moving to Indy

I'm about to transfer to IUPUI for Spring semester and was wondering if anybody had any tips about the city that would come in useful (places to go, bars, things to do). I'm in Indy usually at least once a week but mainly stay downtown. Me and a friend are looking at apartments still but find some decent places between Meridian and Pennsylvania downtown. Any advice?

Default Re: Moving to Indy

Meridian and Pennsylvania are pretty far from the IUPUI campus.

Dunno, what your budget is, but you might wanna check out the places around the canal.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers#1Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm about to transfer to IUPUI for Spring semester and was wondering if anybody had any tips about the city that would come in useful (places to go, bars, things to do). I'm in Indy usually at least once a week but mainly stay downtown. Me and a friend are looking at apartments still but find some decent places between Meridian and Pennsylvania downtown. Any advice?

Lockfield Gardens is extremely close to IUPUI there was also another apartment complex that was close to IUPUI that I used to live at which had you close to downtown but far enough to get to grocery stores etc. Unfortunately it has now been converted into a hotel.

Instead of Penn and Meridian I'd look more between West and Meridian or West and Illinois.

As said above, Penn and Meridian is quite a ways away

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lockfield Gardens is extremely close to IUPUI there was also another apartment complex that was close to IUPUI that I used to live at which had you close to downtown but far enough to get to grocery stores etc. Unfortunately it has now been converted into a hotel.

I would avoid Lockfield Gardens like the plague and wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking in downtown Indy. It's a run-down place that has quite the problem with crime. I get the IUPUI crime alerts emailed to me once every couple of weeks or so and Lockfield is mentioned routinely. A sexual battery occurred there a few weeks ago when a man broke into a victims apartment. People who have left sliding doors unlocked have had the misfortune of being visited by gun-wielding robbers. Burglaries there are as common as the sun rising.

Also, don't even think of looking at the "Campus Apartments" located in that area just north of 10th street. The word "Campus" should be taken out and replaced with "Section 8" because that's all that place is. It's downright scary and brings a considerable amount of crime into the area. If the robbery itself isn't taking place in Campus Apartments then chances are those doing the deed have some sort of connection there.

I rent a house very near both of these apartment complexes and like it/feel safe because the house is secure with an alarm system, but I would be very cautious when looking at apartments in this immediate area. You would do much better and feel safer if you crossed West/MLK and looked at places near the canal or in a place like Riley Towers. You might pay more, but your safety is worth it.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 09-27-2010 at 09:50 PM.

Not sure what your budget is, but with a roommate - I would look at either Canal Square or Cosmopolitan on the Canal Apartment
    Both are pricey, but safe and close to IUPUI

Cosmo on the Canal is very swank looking. That would definitely be my pick downtown if I were going the apartment route.

I have heard both awesome and negative reviews of Lockfield Gardens. Me and the dude I'm moving up there with looked at Canal if I remember right and though I remember it being very nice, it was a little too pricey. We are both bringing our cars so distance isn't too big a deal. I currently commute 45 minutes to school and my part-time job so a five-ten minute drive will be a VERY welcome change. I'm also probably transferring my job to Circle Center. Also, does anyone know if IUPUI's weight room/gym is open 24 hours or will i have to look elsewhere? Thanks for all the feedback, it is greatly appreciated.