Thread: pacersdigest twitter

Default pacersdigest twitter

So I don't know which one of our admins posts under the twitter handle, "pacersdigest," but I feel it is a bit misleading. Don't get me wrong, I think the posts are great and I would follow "pacersdigest" regardless of the handle.

However, doesn't the name "pacersdigest" imply some sort of official synthesis of the message board's members? In other words, couldn't one construe that all of the message board's members more or less approve of the message tweeted by "pacersdigest"?

This is a trivial example but it makes the point clearer. Consider the following tweet:

"I also wouldn't mind that being our starting 5, by the way. Even though I don't think Paul or Tyler are ready for that yet."

I mostly agree with that tweet, though I prefer Rush to George in the starting lineup. Do all of our members? That "pacersdigest" tweeted it makes it seem as if we all feel that way when in fact, we don't. This is my point.

Thoughts?

Default Re: pacersdigest twitter

I'm sorry if there was any confusion. I am the man behind that account.

I didn't realize it was seen as misleading to anyone that I was the one posting as @pacersdigest. No, it's not meant to be seen as some kind of "collective voice" of the forum or its members.

The PD account is an informal attempt to pass along some of the news, commentary, rumors, and analysis I come across, to communicate with others in the Twitter community as it relates to the team/league, and to offer my personal thoughts on the team and all of the above.

Let me add this. I see what you're saying, to a point, but I think anyone who knows about Pacers Digest realizes that we don't all "ride together" and that collectively we hardly ever completely agree on things, and that there will probably never be a point where one person could speak for the entire group, or even try to do so.

The only change I can see happening down the road is other admins getting involved in terms of tweeting things we see/hear individually through personal, separate encounters with the players, coaches, management, whatever. Like if Peck observed something interesting going on around the Pacers bench during a game (he sits very close to their bench), it would be convenient if he could go ahead and tweet his tidbit as @pacersdigest in that instance instead of having to pass it along or waiting until he got on the Digest after the game.

I really hadn't thought about it this way before, to be honest.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was actually talking about this to Gnome a while back. I understand where you are coming from, Hicks, but I think to someone who just follows the Pacers and some of the players of the team, there are people out there that have never heard of the board. It does create a sense that it is the idea of the board, and not just one person.

Now if this were a blog site, not a forum, I could see that. I think maybe something like @hicksatpd or something like that would be much better.

Just an opinion.

If they've never heard of the board, then they can't possibly assume the account speaks for a collective they don't even know to exist.

A potentially less drastic solution than name-change would be just tweaking the info on the twitter profile.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:

Why does this need a solution at all?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:

The way Hicks is using Twitter is really pretty standard for webmasters. For example, I run a few forums and blogs myself and I personally run all of the Twitter accounts. I don't really think anyone reading my tweets assumes everyone on the site I am posting for thinks the same thoughts.

It is really serving a purpose as a link/thought library for Hicks, but also a promotional tool for the site, so I think you should keep it the way it is.

I say every potential tweet from @pacersdigest should be put to a Yea/Nay vote on the Pacers board.

Or not. Either way is fine by me.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I say that every PD Tweet should include the disclaimer below:

*Tweets shared by PD do not necessarily represent the feelings of individual PD members, their families, pets, or Pacers Sports and Entertainment*

Of course, that's the entire 140 characters you're allowed in a tweet, but that isn't my fault...