Thread: New "Rev30" jerseys to be worn this season, 30% lighter

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default New "Rev30" jerseys to be worn this season, 30% lighter

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/09/21/a...rms/index.html
    by: Art Garcia

The new NBA Revolution 30 uniforms gives players a snugger-yet-lighter fitting material to play in.
    Courtesy of adidas

Less is much more for players when it comes to new uniforms

So what's in a uniform?

Well, less than ever before, and that means more for today's NBA players. More of a chance to show off what they do best and, for some, just plain show off.

"I can't wait for everyone else to start wearing it," Dwight Howard said of the uniforms debuting this season. "I think they're going to like it. It might make a lot of people who might not have good stomachs and big muscles look in shape."

Not everyone owns the physique and confidence of Orlando's All-Star center, and Adidas isn't promising instant makeovers. What the league's official outfitter is delivering is the latest generation in uniform technology. Yes, there's a science to stitches and seams.

NBA Revolution 30, designed and developed by adidas, is billed as the lightest and most advanced uniform ever created. They're 30 percent lighter and dry twice as quickly as previous uniforms, and are made from 60 percent recycled materials. They're made to be cooler, drier and more comfortable.

According to Howard, players will notice the difference.

"You can," he said. "They're lighter. They stand out, for one. Two, it's just a good feel. It feels great. It breathes. You don't really sweat in it."

There's been four years worth of sweat and study put into Revolution 30. Testing and feedback has been conducted by adidas with more than 200 NBA and NBA D-League players, usually during practices and in individual fittings.

"As we looked at the way the game has evolved, the uniforms really haven't made a big step to catch up with the bigger, faster guys, the way they're suiting up to play the game," Travis Blasingame, head of adidas' Global Basketball Apparel Business Unit.

Whether guys feel a step quicker or jump an inch higher remains to be seen. Howard has experienced several of the tangible benefits during testing.

"For a lot of guys, when they sweat, their jerseys get heavier and they tend to slow down," he said. "These jerseys keep them the same from how they started the game. I'm worn the jersey before. It's kind of like getting back to playing in a tank top."

The uniforms' latest version, which was unveiled Wednesday at the NBA Store in New York, had its biggest taste test on the NBA's most opulent stage. Prototypes served as the official uniforms of the Eastern and Western Conference during the 2010 All-Star Game held before a record crowd of more than 100,000 at Cowboys Stadium.

"I don't think anybody had a problem with it," Howard said. "I think everybody enjoyed them."

All-Stars were outfitted with an earlier version at the 2009 showcase in Phoenix. The new jerseys are designed to be worn tighter and closer to the body, which Howard said makes it harder for opponents to grab. The inside of the jerseys have much less stitching, increasing the comfort. The numbers are also a mesh fabric designed to breath. The overall better fit reduces friction and complements the additional layers modern players typically wear under their uniforms, Blasingame said.

The use of compression shorts and padded pieces worn at the skin-first level allow for a lighter uniform. Since players are loading up underneath for protection, they didn't need the heavier jerseys and shorts. Blasingame called Revolution 30 the third generation: From wool shorts with belts to mesh materials that became bigger and baggier to now.

"This is sort of the next big step in uniform technologies," Blasingame said. "How long will it last? I think a minimum of a couple of years, but we've got some stuff in the hopper that's going to be exciting come All-Star [Weekend]."

Howard is well-versed in all the hi-tech features of Revolution 30, but for someone who prefers to practice in a tank top for obvious reasons, the new duds score high for the most basic of reasons. Call it the mirror test.

"Just like with some new shoes," he said. "When you get some new shoes, you feel like you're on top of the world. You're always looking at them. You're always telling people, 'Hey, I've got some new shoes.' You know how it was when you were little.

"It's the same thing with these jerseys. When you feel like something is right, you feel like you're looking good, you play better. Fans notice that."

Grown Man Ball

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: New "Rev30" jerseys to be worn this season, 30% lighter

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Howard
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Just like with some new shoes," he said. "When you get some new shoes, you feel like you're on top of the world. You're always looking at them. You're always telling people, 'Hey, I've got some new shoes.' You know how it was when you were little.

"It's the same thing with these jerseys. When you feel like something is right, you feel like you're looking good, you play better. Fans notice that."
    I don't know why, but I smile thinking of the sense of fun that allows Howard to compare the feel of new uniforms to the feel of new shoes when you were a kid.

Sometimes we need to remember the little things that make us enjoy the world.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I don't know why, but I smile thinking of the sense of fun that allows Howard to compare the feel of new uniforms to the feel of new shoes when you were a kid.

Sometimes we need to remember the little things that make us enjoy the world.
    That's the main reason that I like Dwight. He just seems to really enjoy life and has a certain child-like quality to his personality.
    Grown Man Ball

My issue with these wicking away all the sweat is that I saw FSN's show Sports Science tackle this, and wicking causes you to overheat because your sweat can't cool you down. Hopefully that doesn't really matter here like it does for marathon / cyclist athletes.

Sports Logo

I thought that it was really wierd but NBA TV had some live show announcing these jerseys. It was some huge PR production with Dwight, Brook, Farmar and Wilson Chandler going to some Brinks truck like they were delivery men taking out the jerseys and marvelling at them.

Really wierd.....
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I bet James Posey is happy.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

The lighter unis are cool and all, but is anyone concerned that Iguodala will literally jump out of the building now? Safety should still be the top priority.

I'm just imagining a fully grown Dwight Howard running around to people saying "Hey man I got some new shoes, check out my new shoes!" Awesome.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I guess that's why Paul George's jersey looked different in those photos released after the draft. The new jerseys have a different texture to them.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Just got my latest issue of Slam with the special wrap cover of Dwight's new "breathable" uni from Adidas. So it was pretty cool to come here and find this thread.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

IMO, the idea of tighter-fitting jerseys smacks of a ploy to draw more female fans....

At least the jersey-grabbing will be down to a minimum. Never liked that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    IMO, the idea of tighter-fitting jerseys smacks of a ploy to draw more female fans....

At least the jersey-grabbing will be down to a minimum. Never liked that.
    Back to civility.

I sincerely doubt that it is a ploy to draw more female fans. Many colleges have been going to the tighter uniforms for a few years now, and the players seem to enjoy them.

Agreed about the jersey-grabbing. That is bush league nonsense that needed to stop.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I bet James Posey is happy.
    I bet he's happier that he lost 30 pounds since the start of last season and is back to being in his old shape.
    Grown Man Ball

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    My issue with these wicking away all the sweat is that I saw FSN's show Sports Science tackle this, and wicking causes you to overheat because your sweat can't cool you down. Hopefully that doesn't really matter here like it does for marathon / cyclist athletes.
    Where does it say it wicks away the sweat? It sounds to me like it does the opposite.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baske...uniforms_N.htm

The uniforms use Adidas' ClimaCool fabrics and Formotion technology to wick sweat away in less than three seconds

I guess we know why the Pacers jerseys are still 50% off at the Pacers store lol. They are selling the rev30 jerseys in swingman versions as well.

Last edited by PacerFan31; 09-24-2010 at 04:53 AM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, but the Rev30 swingman jerseys do not follow the same mesh pattern as the authentic ones. They are just the Climacool material with a mesh design on the numbers. Does anyone have a Danny Granger All-Star jersey? Think that.