Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Artest responds to Peja rumors

Default Artest responds to Peja rumors

http://www.indystar.com/articles/0/170423-5300-036.html

Artest prefers to be fixture in Indiana

By Sekou Smith
    sekou.smith@indystar.com
    August 15, 2004

LAFAYETTE, Ind. -- Seemingly everyone except Ron Artest has discussed the rumored trade of All-Stars involving the Indiana Pacers forward and Sacramento forward Peja Stojakovic.

Saturday afternoon, Artest set the record straight on what he thinks of the trade talk.

"I was told the rumors about me being traded weren't true, but I haven't spoken to (Pacers president Larry) Bird," Artest said. "I know a lot of Indiana fans don't like it; they don't want me to go. Obviously, it's a business. But everywhere I go, people tell me they are not feeling it."

That was certainly the mood here, where the NBA's Defensive Player of the Year signed autographs and posed for pictures with fans for two hours at Tippecanoe Mall.

"He's an Indiana Pacer and we need to keep it that way," said Arlen Jackson, who waited in the back of the line.

Stojakovic's recent demand that he be traded ignited speculation that a deal between the Pacers and Kings was in the works.

A straight-up deal involving the two players would qualify under NBA salary cap rules because their salaries match closely enough, or the Pacers could include a minimum salary player. Stojakovic will be paid $6.875 million next season, and Artest will receive $6.2 million.

The revelation from Stojakovic's agent David Bauman that Bird had inquired about such a deal in June fueled the rumors.

Bird dismissed the talk as pure speculation last week, but the chatter has continued.

"You never know," Artest said. "(Stojakovic) is a good player, a good player. If they trade me for him, the Pacers would be good. The Kings would be real good, too. Real good.

"But I made a long-term commitment to the Indiana Pacers. Even when I came here, a lot of guys didn't have faith in me. They thought I was going to be a knucklehead. Some people really didn't want me here, but I made up my mind to show people that I could change a little bit, that I could improve and do my thing here the way I wanted to."

Doing things his way includes operating without representation. Artest said he fired his agent, Mark Bartelstein, two weeks ago because he didn't feel like he was given the attention he needed.

"You can do it yourself," said Artest, who is armed with the security of a seven-year, $42 million deal he signed with the Pacers before the 2002-03 season.

In addition to working out, Artest has been busy with his fledgling record label (Tru Warier Entertainment), his upcoming solo rap album and the release of a country-and-western-themed single with a 78-year-old Zionsville, Ind., neighbor that he identified simply as "Doris."

"I just got a deal for my own clothing line and a signature sneaker through LA Gear," Artest said. "I've got a lot of stuff going on."

Artest said he also is working out the details for a celebrity fund-raiser weekend -- complete with baseball and softball tournaments, a talent show and a barbeque -- that he will host Sept. 11 and 12. Proceeds will benefit several local charities, including the fund that supports Indianapolis Public Schools athletic programs, Artest said.

It is all a part of a plan to give back to a community that Artest said welcomed him without reservation after he was acquired from Chicago in February 2002.

"Indiana took me in," Artest said. "I live here (in the offseason). I stay here. I'm out on the street here, in the 'hoods here, and I like it. I'm here."
    Well, all I can say is my respect for Ron went up a notch. Any player who's smart enough to realize he doesn't need an agent is all right in my book.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Artest responds to Peja rumors

I am in a wait and see mode , probably the thing that makes me sick the most if people running around like they got some elite information but they can't say much other than they think he's gonna be traded.

If management feels dealing Artest is the Best move to get a chanmpionship well I can live with that , but keeping Artest I don't thinks that's a bad deal ethier.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Nice article, and I want to echo both you guys opinions on this!

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Horologist Extraordinaire t1hs0n's Avatar

Wow. I am almost mad at myself for even thinking we should trade him. There is no one like Ron. He is a winner, a fighter, and one cool *** dude.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've always said I LIKE RON. I especially lke the part about him living here in the off-season. That is something I felt was needed to bridge the "warm -fuzzy" feeling between the organization and the people of Indy. The ABA Pacer players lived here. Ron is the 1st I've heard of being here in the OS (except Brad) in a looong while.

Having said that, if the mgmnt has a reason for trading him...I'm certain they know best. And yes, I have seen signs I recognize from living with it 1st hand and that makes me VERY wary of keeping him around. But if he'd stay on meds long enough to get over the "sluggish" feeling he'd be much better off, and I'd have NO problems keeping him around then.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

I like that he fired his agent and still lives around here. Go Ronnie!
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

NewType

Isn't Mark Bartelstein Brad's agent as well? If, I'm saying if, Ron stay here for the rest of his contract, this may help the negotiation for the next contract a bit easier.

No more smarty pants agent.

Go Ronnie! Got to hear the duet with Doris. I'll buy the rap CD for kicks, too. This is one old guy who prefers good ole fashioned rock and roll.

Maybe, if Ron will just keep taking his medicine this will all work out. I am bothered somewhat that he and Bird reportedly have not yet talked.

I liked this:

"You never know," Artest said. "(Stojakovic) is a good player, a good player. If they trade me for him, the Pacers would be good. The Kings would be real good, too. Real good.
    He respects Peja, but knows who gets the better end of the deal.

I like that.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Of course you like it; you want Artest to stay

Banned

I would not be surprised if keeping Artests name out there is nothing more than the old publicity machine in action.

Artest had more jerseys sold outside of Indy than any other Pacer last year. It is sad to say, but Artest is the biggest marketing tool the Pacers have. And one of the NBAs top 25, and climbing. If Artest ever gets his head on straight he will be one of the NBAs top 10 most marketable players.

You have to admit, Rons a hell of a basketball player. If he ever commits to a team mentality he could be a top 5 to 10 player in this league......I'm just not sure he ever will.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSauceMaster
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am in a wait and see mode , probably the thing that makes me sick the most if people running around like they got some elite information but they can't say much other than they think he's gonna be traded.
    Why does that bother you so much? You sound like one of those bitter, angry old men on the Star forum. You can choose to believe what you want to believe. Beyond that, you shouldn't really care.

So let me get this straight: around the same time Artest's agent was responding to Peja trade rumors with "I don't think there's anything imminent or anything like that," Artest was giving him the boot!?! Classic. I wonder which happened first...
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Don't trade Ron!
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

I wish Ron would never shave his hair, he looks so crazy and scary as hell when its all grown out and scraggly looking, like in Blankets avatar. I love it!
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

God dammit, I live less than a mile from the Tippecanoe Mall and I forgot about Ronnie's signing appearance. Ugh.

I love Ronnie, the person and the player. I hope he can remain a Pacer for the rest of his career. However, if management believes he must be traded, then I'll support their decision.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Okay, sorry, but I sense some hypocrisy here.

A question for all of you who say, "If management thinks it's right to trade Ron, I'll support their decision":

What about Brad?

Hicks' flareup has brought about a lot of *****ing about us losing Brad. Well, guess what, in the end, management decided to let Brad go. So, if you're one of the many who still complains about Brad being gone, I don't see how you can shrug off us trading Ron because "management knows best."

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy

A question for all of you who say, "If management thinks it's right to trade Ron, I'll support their decision":

What about Brad?

Hicks' flareup has brought about a lot of *****ing about us losing Brad. Well, guess what, in the end, management decided to let Brad go. So, if you're one of the many who still complains about Brad being gone, I don't see how you can shrug off us trading Ron because "management knows best."

good point
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

The Brad situation will always be a ****-up in my eyes. But that doesn't erase all the good our management has done, and will continue to do. That was certainly the exception, not the rule.

Plus, we got rid of Brad over dollar signs. The only reason to ever trade Ron is if he's a problem behind closed doors. So if he's gone, it would have to be for a good reason. With Brad it was money above all else.

What about Brad?

Kegboy a.k.a. Voice of Reason.

Mood

What about Brad?

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

What about Brad?

I think you're confusing me with someone else. I have never said anything about losing Brad. Go look for a comment by me on here or at IS. Good luck, you'll never find it.. And before you go off on me again, check your God damned facts.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Quote Originally Posted by obnoxiousmodesty

What about Brad?

I think you're confusing me with someone else. I have never said anything about losing Brad. Go look for a comment by me on here or at IS. Good luck, you'll never find it.. And before you go off on me again, check your God damned facts.
    Whoa nellie, that was directed towards the general trend on the board. If I were referring to you directly, I would have quoted you.

What about Brad?

Great point indeed.

What's more, management's decision worked. We won 61 games last year and got into the third round of the playoffs.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!